Wow that scuba diving missions looks boring as... poop.

#1 Edited by themangalist (1723 posts) -

If you caught the live stream CoD:Ghosts had on the official site:

When the other military guy told you to get into position when underwater, I chuckled a bit. And for the brief (around) 3 minutes of showing it bored me to death, but in the middle they already cut out a chunk of gameplay ("in the interest of time"). This makes the tired modern military linear gameplay shown in the Battlefield 4 single player trailer look exciting in comparison.

I guess this is the moment I am truly done with the franchise. There just can't be any more fun to be had.

edit: DOG STEALTH SECTION!!! SHOULD I BE SUDDENLY INTERESTED AGAIN!!??

#2 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

If you want to play a game that does scuba diving military action right, play Arma 3. Actually, from the sounds of things, don't play Arma 3. That is not a game for an impatient person so it probably isn't right for you either.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -

Since when was poop boring?

#4 Posted by themangalist (1723 posts) -

If you want to play a game that does scuba diving military action right, play Arma 3. Actually, from the sounds of things, don't play Arma 3. That is not a game for an impatient person so it probably isn't right for you either.

It's not that I'm impatient, it's that i'm tired of this "tired modern military linear gameplay". As much as they say it's an innovation to have a scuba diving level they basically put a normal linear CoD level and slowed it down by 10 times. I'm all for ARMA3.

#5 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@subjugation said:

It's not that I'm impatient, it's that i'm tired of this "tired modern military linear gameplay". As much as they say it's an innovation to have a scuba diving level they basically put a normal linear CoD level and slowed it down by 10 times. I'm all for ARMA3.

Alright, that's cool. I was mainly trying to point out that it takes a while to do anything in Arma 3. Your post made it sound like you wanted to get straight into the action, and that isn't always the case in that game. You can easily spend a good ten minutes just trekking through the woods to an objective. I'm with you though on being tired of the CoD formula. I haven't played since Black Ops. Maybe if people start manning up and stop buying the games instead of complaining about them and continuing to buy them anyway (for whatever reason) we will start to see a change.

#6 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

Not if they have dynamic sharks.

#7 Posted by isomeri (1226 posts) -

To be fair those fish did get out of the way pretty fast.

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4162 posts) -

It looks fine. I "would" buy it. I guess it just depends who I know gets it. And when's that Titanfall release date??

#9 Posted by kpaadet (410 posts) -

I feel like at this point Activision should trademark "In the interest of time...".

#10 Edited by JCGamer (659 posts) -

It looks and sounds like a Call of Duty game. Not sure what else I expected.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -

BUT THE FISH REACT TO YOU!

#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5044 posts) -

The underwater sequence is DULL, but the stealth dog sequence is kinda amazing. The way it jumps through the window followed by it slo-mo busting out of the door is highly amusing. I kinda hate that I'd be tempted to buy a game just because it had dog sequences.

#13 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

@gunstarred: That slo-mo sequence is kinda ridiculous. What causes that door to burst open like that ? Is that Asura's dog or something ?

#14 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1843 posts) -

The only fish I actively payed attention to actually swam right into the dude's face and clipped through, so...

#15 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

To innovate, just add water.

#16 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -
@minipato said:

What if the water froze to solid ice while they were swimming, and it outros to black only to intro via a fade-in to a scene where some guys find them 1000 years in the future and when they manage to defrost them they find out they're the Chosen Ones, and the game totally flips genres and becomes an isometric RPG in a medieval futuristic setting where you need to use your defrosted guys as you're fighting evil mutants with super powers?

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

The only fish I actively payed attention to actually swam right into the dude's face and clipped through, so...

Oh that's FANTASTIC. After all the focus on that tiny aspect, they couldn't even make sure it worked in their live stream. GGWP Activision.

#18 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@artemesia said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Oh that's FANTASTIC. After all the focus on that tiny aspect, they couldn't even make sure it worked in their live stream. GGWP Activision.

I feel this needs to be gif'ed and sent to someone important. :)

#19 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

The vast expanse of the endless ocean, go anywhere you want... as long as it's through this coral, fishing net and shipwreck-formed underwater hallway.

#20 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

@minipato said:

What if the water froze to solid ice while they were swimming, and it outros to black only to intro via a fade-in to a scene where some guys find them 1000 years in the future and when they manage to defrost them they find out they're the Chosen Ones, and the game totally flips genres and becomes an isometric RPG in a medieval futuristic setting where you need to use your defrosted guys as you're fighting evil mutants with super powers?

As long as I'm not swimming, because fuck swimming in videogames.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

@minipato said:

Then I would buy the newest Call of Duty.

Admittedly, I haven't seen this demo of scuba diving, but they did it in a level of Modern Warfare 2.

I don't know if the one in Ghosts has more depth to it, though.

#22 Posted by Nilazz (607 posts) -

But...But the fished moved out of the way!

#23 Posted by TyrellOCP (327 posts) -

Oh no, the faceless, silent player avatar is trapped. Whatever will he do? Oh wait, it's ok, the NPC buddy is here to save him in a cutscene.

Looks like more chasing the same gameplay beats that made MW4 great. Here it's Ghillies in the Mist with a hint of the heli crash.

It's going to sell millions and the MS partnership is going to do gangbusters for the XBONE.

#24 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

I want to cause a scene and say "I'm offended by this because <add reason>", but I'm saving that for a different game.

Let's be happy that this game is coming out; it obviously makes millions of gamers happy, so we should be happy about that and not say bad things about the Fish AI and the Dog AI. The campaign will probably last from 4-8 hours and then everyone will be shooting themselves and others in multiplayer.

#25 Edited by TheManiacsGnome (268 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@subjugation said:

Alright, that's cool. I was mainly trying to point out that it takes a while to do anything in Arma 3. Your post made it sound like you wanted to get straight into the action, and that isn't always the case in that game. You can easily spend a good ten minutes just trekking through the woods to an objective. I'm with you though on being tired of the CoD formula. I haven't played since Black Ops. Maybe if people start manning up and stop buying the games instead of complaining about them and continuing to buy them anyway (for whatever reason) we will start to see a change.

Call of Duty is FAAAAAARRRRR larger than the enthusiast market, everyone at Giantbomb could not buy the next CoD and it wouldn't make a difference. It's a tough pill to swallow but people often over estimate how much sway or power the "Enthusiasts" have, in a perfect world we would see some iterative improvements on CoD but until the mainstream market abandons it in favour of the next thing it's not going to change a lot.

#26 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1843 posts) -

@artemesia said:

@turtlebird95 said:

At :45 to :49, if you care.

#27 Edited by Kierkegaard (582 posts) -

Kinda looks like a stop gap military shooter with a big budget. I hate how nonchalant your companion is in the California dog stealth scene. It's okay to show emotion. It kinda makes me think your character is human. Saying "this is depressing" when looking at a giant crevice of a former city as a way to move on to the dog neck bitey goodness is just... ignoring the point of tragedy, I guess. If you've got a cool setting and you have human characters, do something with their human reaction to it.

I played COD 4:MW. I liked that game. It made some really brave moves. Ever since COD won video games they have refused to go for gravitas over conspiracy theory and silly action movie cliche.

Also, the modern warfare 2 scuba scene looks about as good as the new one.

#28 Posted by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

is it just me.... or are the direction of the bullets completely wrong?

at 1:50, your buddy is behind you and tells you to take out one of the underwater guys, and your buddy will shoot the other one.

His bullets look like they are coming in from the upper-right part of the screen, from the other side... but he's supposedly behind you.

What the hell?

#29 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4162 posts) -

Five more minutes of gameplay. Its solid. I'm pretty sure its 360 footage.

GameSpot: Call of Duty Ghosts: Combat Dog Gameplay

At this pint I'm wondering if Destiny or Titanfall would come out soon enough. I'd rather get that than this, but it just depends.

#30 Edited by ch3burashka (5017 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

I feel like at this point Activision should trademark "In the interest of time...".

The already have "in", "the", and "of" on lock, may as well go all the way.

#31 Edited by kmg90 (418 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

Buts it all about the dogs!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.