Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

The tenth installment of the long-running shooter franchise introduces a brand new storyline, where the United States is under threat from a coalition of South American nations, and must employ a special group of operatives known as "Ghosts" to survive.

You thought CoD:Ghost Dog was Rushed?*Spoilers*

• 94 results
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nekroskop

This has got to be the laziest thing I've seen in a while and definitely not something I'd expect from an AAA game. This is bordering on Bioware-tier recycling.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By audioBusting

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a coincidence. I feel like I've seen that scene in every war shooters with helicopters.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That's pretty funny. And no one would EVER know if not for internet.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Look at the animation. They've used the same damn ones. Horribly lazy of them.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SharkEthic

@audiobusting: It's definitely a run-of-the-mill military shooter extraction scenario, but a coincidence? What, they just happened to animate two scenes almost exactly alike?

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The fuck you talking about? One clearly has a helicopter, the other has a car? Shit, this blatant shitting on COD is getting ridiculous.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The movements don't match up perfectly, but the timing is next to exact. This is mad fishy.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: @sharkethic: They're not exactly the same, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the mocap actors, animators and directors are just so used to making these games that the scenes all start to look alike, not unlike in movie trailers editing and some pop music.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

GOTY

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Reminds me of how Michael Bay reused a scene from The Island and put it in Transformers 3.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

COD has been recycling the exact same animations since COD4, just look at the animation when you fall, or when you see someone hit by a flashbang. Plus I watched some multiplayer and they are still using the same audio clips. COD is recycling of assets to the highest degree.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: @sharkethic: They're not exactly the same, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the mocap actors, animators and directors are just so used to making these games that the scenes all start to look alike, not unlike in movie trailers editing and some pop music.

Do you work for Infinity Ward? Did you do the animations for both games, and now you're terribly embarrassed!? You have to tell us if you do!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hehe, And it looks better in MW2, that's bizarre.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkethic said:

@audiobusting said:

Do you work for Infinity Ward? Did you do the animations for both games, and now you're terribly embarrassed!? You have to tell us if you do!

That's a myth, man! I don't have to tell you even if I work for Activision®. Which I don't! Anyway, I love playing this exciting fresh entry to the Call of Duty® video game franchise and I'm sure it has hours worth of all-new content™!

(Seriously though -- considering how derivative everything in the single-player campaign I've seen so far looks, I wouldn't be surprised either way.)

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@itwongo said:

This is mad fishy.

Did someone say... FISH?!

No Caption Provided

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By sammo21

People are super quick to defend dat cod!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

Who cares? There's also nothing lazy about it. It's similar to movies where sets and props are reused all the time. Not because people are lazy but because it's dumb to waste time and money recreating something from scratch if you already have something that serves your exact purpose.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AMyggen

@hunkulese said:

Who cares? There's also nothing lazy about it. It's similar to movies where sets and props are reused all the time. Not because people are lazy but because it's dumb to waste time and money recreating something from scratch if you already have something that serves your exact purpose.

So just more or less reusing the same animations/framing etc. isn't lazy? What about explosions? Those are generally the same thing from game to game, so just reuse those too? What about other animations like walking, shooting? Or graphics? Just reuse all of that from game to game since those "serve the exact purpose"? I understand why IW would do it, but it's the definition of lazy.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By GS_Dan

The fact the animations are different makes me think it's more of a nod to the previous game than a complete rip off.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Disney was the king of doing this:

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By falserelic

Deja Vu at its finest.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By me3639

How dare they still Nintendos cut and paste design philosophy!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I thought the dog was Riley *ba-dum tsh*

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639 said:

How dare they still Nintendos cut and paste design philosophy!

ohhhhh SNAP!!

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of how Michael Bay reused a scene from The Island and put it in Transformers 3.

Wasn't that because a stunt went wrong and he had no choice but to do that? No such problem with this. They just reused animations.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Pretty sure it's intentional - they are starting a new "series" of CoD games - expect to see "Ghosts: Spectres" or "Ghosts: Double Ghosts" in two years time (assuming that Mr. Kotick has not sacrificed the IW team in a bid to please the sun god (who is also the stock-market god)). So they are deliberately calling back to that ending - they are trying to say this is the new storyline, these are the new characters. The animations are not exactly the same - but they are similar.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

is that the only scene they copied?

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@hunkulese said:

So just more or less reusing the same animations/framing etc. isn't lazy? What about explosions? Those are generally the same thing from game to game, so just reuse those too? What about other animations like walking, shooting? Or graphics? Just reuse all of that from game to game since those "serve the exact purpose"? I understand why IW would do it, but it's the definition of lazy.

Isn't this almost exactly what they're doing already, though? Same shit, different setting? Seems like par for the course to me, but still, to more or less just copy/paste the end cinematic from a previous game in the franchise is not only lazy by Infinity Ward standards, it's telling of a company that has literally run out of ideas and are just mindlessly going through the motions of making one of these fucking things every year.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By probablytuna

@benpicko: Not sure, but they could've reshot it. Apparently he did this for the first Transformer as well, using footage from Pearl Harbour.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@benpicko: Not sure, but they could've reshot it. Apparently he did this for the first Transformer as well, using footage from Pearl Harbour.

So Michael Bay uses footage from his terrible movies to fuel his other terrible movies? :P

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkethic: Indeed, I'm not saying I'm surprised by this, it's just so shameless!

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of sequels use the same animations as the previous game.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Juzie

@treetrunk said:

is that the only scene they copied?

I also heard the entire campaign is just a reskin. Then again...that really isn't news for most of us.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahahaha

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Came into this thread all jaded about the COD copy/pasta but super fascinated by the animation copies. While those are all valid arguments that it's common I feed the COD thing is a bit much because it's more common that someone is playing Ghost that will remember that scene from MW.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Claude

Tubular

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@andorski: there's a "whoa, what, WHOA!" audio clip in Sword in the Stone that they use about seven or eight times throughout the movie, sometimes within 5 seconds of each other. I believe in one case the protagonist says it as he's about to fall, and then seconds later while actually falling.

Reusing assets. As old as artistic expression itself.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By notdavid

Seems more like an homage than anything. With them calling the game Ghosts and featuring skull balaclava's, I expected there to be some pretty explicit links between this and MW2.

EDIT: Oh man. I just ran across some compelling evidence that suggests that Ghost from MW2 is now the dog from Ghosts.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are seriously defending this? That's just sad.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PhilESkyline

This is sad to see but it's expected. COD has been reusing assets and animations for the longest. It's hard re-wrapping the same gift each year and call it new. They just got caught this time. Pimps can mess up.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by this thread I think people would be surprised by how many assets are recycled in games. The best part for developers is finding a way to re-purpose it and get away with it.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

They did something similar in MW3. I bet there is a ton of other reused assets that we have not noticed.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By joshwent

Okay, I don't give a shit about CoD, never played more than 5 minutes of one, so I'm not defending this game at all, but couldn't this be intentional? A purposeful call back to something in a previous story? It happens in other media all the time, and while a lot of it is absolute laziness (every Rob Liefeld comic), there can be a fun deeper meaning for fans who get the reference.

Also, "reusing" animation from a 4 year old game just doesn't really work like that. You can't just copy/pate animation from one engine to another without significant tweaks. So even if the animator was just watching and replicating the old footage, it wouldn't have even been that big of a time saver.

Does anyone know if calling back to that old scene with this one has any story relevance?

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the reason for that is because the stunt they actually recorded left a woman paralysed, so its not really the same thing here.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

Okay, I don't give a shit about CoD, never played more than 5 minutes of one, so I'm not defending this game at all, but couldn't this be intentional? A purposeful call back to something in a previous story? It happens in other media all the time, and while a lot of it is absolute laziness (every Rob Liefeld comic), there can be a fun deeper meaning for fans who get the reference.

Also, "reusing" animation from a 4 year old game just doesn't really work like that. You can't just copy/pate animation from one engine to another without significant tweaks. So even if the animator was just watching and replicating the old footage, it wouldn't have even been that big of a time saver.

Does anyone know if calling back to that old scene with this one has any story relevance?

You actually believe that Ghosts is running on a brand new engine? LOL.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@hunkulese said:

The definition of lazy isn't wasting time recreating something that you've already previously created. Game developers reuse assets all the time and it's kind of weird that all of a sudden someone posted a video to youtube and now everyone is angry. Are you prepared to call every developer lazy for reusing assets or only the ones you don't like?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh. I believe that none of us know what updates to the engine they've made, so that's entirely irrelevant. I know from personal experience that copy/pasting keyframes onto a new IK skeleton, even if it's identical, can be a pain in the ass. And that to animate something as simple as the scene above, it would always take less time to just do it from scratch than to deal with the hassle of "reusing" old data.

Using geometry like buildings from older games just requires new textures/shaders, so that actually is a big time saver. Using old animation, not so much.

And please don't "LOL" at me, dude. You just sound like a dick.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By YoungFrey

@benpicko said:

@probablytuna said:

Wasn't that because a stunt went wrong and he had no choice but to do that? No such problem with this. They just reused animations.

How do you know this wasn't because something got messed up in the production process and they had to have something? CoD games have extremely fixed development cycles, it's not like they can slip anything.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why devs would reuse assets, but those assets also tend to be things you don't normally focus on in the course of gameplay. Exceptions to this are tampered with in some way so as to hide the fact that they were reused. Other than that, there's always homage/callbacks. If this cutscene is really a reused asset, it seems to me more like laziness or desperation than pragmatism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.