Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

2 years, 2 games. Lets talk story and experiences.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBird

Hey!,  

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing the call of duty campaigns. Sure they are short, but they are exciting, really well designed and super fun to play. My one complaint about them is that moments can be so memorable that I won't be able to replay the campaign for at least a year because I can remember it all! After just replaying MW2 on veteran i thought I'd enjoy opening up the debate on Giantbomb about which story is better, the Black Ops one. or the Modern Warfare Trilogy (parts 1 &2) 

So lets ignore multiplayer and petty arguments about this in relation to halo or battlefield  or the fact that Timesplitters needs to get in on the action (just had to mention that) and discuss what we loved and what we hated about the campaigns; was the story believable, was it fun?, where the "moments" exciting! What I think will be interesting is to hear about how everyone's own personal circumstances effected their experience. Since this is my thread I guess I'll go first!  

MW2 -   

Right off the bat I'll be very different to most as I never played COD4. I'd seen it played and knew the story but not played it myself. I was relatively excited to play MW2, but had recently started my first year at university so the hype parade was somewhat overshadowed by a billion other new experiences.  I played the game over the period of about a week and a half and I really enjoyed it. But i wasn't blown away. I'd played older cod games so the set piece campaign concept wasn't exactly new but done to this standard was really fun to play. The guns felt super super powerful  and I enjoyed the variety of locations. The SAS squad missions felt far more exciting and varied than the standard soldier missions but it was cool to fight in suburban america....This however was also one of the down points of the game to me. I'm British, not american. And whilst I'm certainly capable of empathy seeing america be invaded by the Russians just didn't have that heart hitting thwump that I imagine it was intended to.  This leads me to my main criticism 

MW2 relied alot upon voluntary suspension of disbelief. Which I gladly offered. I'd paid £40 for a game and was perfectly happy to invest myself emotionally in the characters and environments, despite there absurdity. But the game never really pulled me in, more I happily walked in and let myself be shocked at the twists.  But even so I felt like the game never made it easy to just believe in it. even the airport level didn't really affect me. I just found myself wondering what I was intended to take away from it.  Probably my own fault at spending so much time on damn video game websites! The added separation of being British playing what really is an american fight just made it a cool game. A good metaphor is that MW2 is very much the Michael Bay movie of videogames. The story was enjoyable enough but i played it for the bangs and action. Oddly enough that's why I'm excited for the MW3 campaign but not so much the multiplayer.  In MW2 it was just too easy to kill and be killed...but hey, now im breaking my own rules.  

Black Ops . - Personally i came to this game in a different place. I asked my parents to buy it me for Christmas, meaning I was at home for the holidays, essays finished, Christmas lunch over, grandma asleep and snoring. Black ops. So in a way this already makes me bias because my surrounding emotions where already nicely happy. Right from the off the fact that this wasn't a sequel in a trilogy was awesome. Sure it had hooks from the world at war universe but they were more for the nerd to notice. Its needless to say i went into this game with the exact same amount of willingness to be hooked as MW2, but this time It took less pushing from my part and i felt the story hooked me well. The opening cinematic with the numbers and the fact they entire game revolves around the centre point of an interogation worked fantastically. I was constantly wondering and trying to work out why i was being interogated, who by. and above this was the constant numbers. This game played excellently through surround sound headphones because through a lot of key moments you can hear these faint numbers at the back of your own head. It was very clever sound design and it worked well. I loved the mission variety again and felt that treyarch had really evolved into their own. One complaint was that the colours were extremely brown, it was a very muted game which was to its own detriment. But the jungle missions were welcomed nicely.   

The plot of brainwashed agents was exciting and i didn't see the twist of that guy not existing past the prison escape (think his name was resnov) but i faced the similar issue of seperation from the kennedy assassination and american fear of communism. But luckily enough I a history A Level, in which I studied american modern history, and the cold war so this time round I was far better placed to put myself in the mindset of the time.  

So all in all I think i enjoyed black ops more. But does this mean i disliked MW2? Not at all, and i can't wait for the explosion filled part 3. and Heres hoping the story really kicks up a notch.   

Wow what a long post!
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Uuuuh, this will be nice, let me get my popcorn. 
    Okay, I'm back. Haters, commence!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

I preferred the campaign/story in MW 1 and 2. I don't like Black Ops.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

MW2 was so much fun! It was a great thrill ride, with some great action sequences, however, I would say, even with all it's explosions/insanity , MW2 was smarter than any Michael Bay movie has been in a very long time. MW2 was filled with some really great moments, like when Soap handed Price his gun from the end of COD4. Game was a ton of fun and I want to see how things play out.

I'm hoping MW3 is equally insane, i'm not looking for any major changes (And i'm certain we won't get any major changes), but I do want another great story.Black Ops was best for its multiplayer, the SP was decent but nothing too memorable.

Also, apparently MW2 takes place in 2016, must have missed that part...

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Uuuuh, this will be nice, let me get my popcorn. Okay, I'm back. Haters, commence!

Your not helping.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Yamoto said:
    Every singel player cod since cod 2 have been trash  
    Cod 3 5 6 7 have all terrible multiplayer  

Mw3 will be a mediocre update to MW2

i will not buy MW 2.5 

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing the call of duty campaigns. 

Yeah i am pretty sure your one of the only atleast here  
    i am sure you can find alot of dude bros to hang out with at a nascar event who loves cod  
    What a fucking idiotic post.
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liber

For me COD4 ended the storyline.

Soap, Cpt Price and Gaz died on that bridge in the end of COD4. MW2 was a lie.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Liber said:

No!  Gaz will never die!
    JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JBird
    @TheDudeOfGaming: Did you read what i said!? Hardly hating!  

@PeasantAbuse: I agree, what a tool. 

@Mikemcn
    : Bat shit insane would be awesome. Yeah i really liked the bit with the passing of the gun. I hope they bring the character ghost back in a crazy way
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @JBird

I never said you were hating -_- 

I meant haters would come on this blog and bitch about CoD. Like 

@Yamoto said:

i will not buy MW 2.5 

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing the call of duty campaigns. 

i am sure you can find alot of dude bros to hang out with at a nascar event who loves cod  
    that.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog

What's up with people throwing word "dudebro" around every time someone mentions Call of Duty?

Anyway, I liked the Campaign in Modern Warfare 2 a lot more than in Black Ops, but Black Ops was a better game. Problem with Call of Duty is that it still has fundamental issues that should have been resolved a long time ago. What the hell kind of logic stands behind "I can't pick up ammo from the SAME gun if it has different attachments"? At least in Black Ops, I wasn't a floating camera.

Call of Duty games have a long way before they get on my list of amazing games, and I'm afraid with little to no progress in each game that is unlikely to occur.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PillClinton

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Yamoto said:

i will not buy MW 2.5

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing the call of duty campaigns.

Ha....hahahaha...hahaha.

^^^That was an idiotic response to the non-idiotic response to that extremely idiotic post, but it was necessary, so there.

Anyway, so CoD singleplayer. Yeah, they're very polished "popcorn-y" big dumb action games, but they sure are fun. MW3 might (and probably will) come up a bit short and disappoint in more than one department, and I don't intend on buying it day-one for the first time since CoD4, if I buy it at all.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @valrog said:
    What the hell kind of logic stands behind "I can't pick up ammo from the SAME gun if it has different attachments"?
    It's right up there with the logic that if you have 100 bullets in 4 clips of ammo, and you shoot 10 of those bullets from one clip of 25 bullets, you can reload and somehow still have 90 bullets instead of 75 bullets. 

I don't think any games get that one right.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@valrog said:
    What the hell kind of logic stands behind "I can't pick up ammo from the SAME gun if it has different attachments"?
    It's right up there with the logic that if you have 100 bullets in 4 clips of ammo, and you shoot 10 of those bullets from one clip of 25 bullets, you can reload and somehow still have 90 bullets instead of 75 bullets. I don't think any games get that one right.

That's a gameplay concession though, the attachments thing makes no sense from a realism OR gameplay sense.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @100_Hertz said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Yamoto said:

i will not buy MW 2.5

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing the call of duty campaigns.

Ha....hahahaha...hahaha.

^^^That was an idiotic response to the non-idiotic response to that extremely idiotic post, but it was necessary, so there.

Anyway, so CoD singleplayer. Yeah, they're very polished "popcorn-y" big dumb action games, but they sure are fun. MW3 might (and probably will) come up a bit short and disappoint in more than one department, and I don't intend on buying it day-one for the first time since CoD4, if I buy it at all.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but knowing your track record, it was probably beyond stupid.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By OneManX

We are at the point, were you are either in or out CoD, as it stands now.

I'm still in I thought BLOPS had a fun singleplayer, and the multiplayer was fun and balanced. So I'm amped for MW3

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vonocourt

@SpaceInsomniac said:

It's right up there with the logic that if you have 100 bullets in 4 clips of ammo, and you shoot 10 of those bullets from one clip of 25 bullets, you can reload and somehow still have 90 bullets instead of 75 bullets. I don't think any games get that one right.

Rainbow Six games used to do that. But I think the bullet pool is just a convenience that's worth the suspension of disbelief.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton

@PeasantAbuse: I was actually agreeing with you, and attempting to have a bit of dumb fun in the process, but sure, whatever man. And out of curiosity, my "track record"? What exactly is that supposed to mean? As far as I can tell, the general level of stupidity of my comments is no more or less than the average form of discourse on these forums, so color me puzzled.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @100_Hertz said:

@PeasantAbuse: I was actually agreeing with you, and attempting to have a bit of dumb fun in the process, but sure, whatever man. And out of curiosity, my "track record"? What exactly is that supposed to mean? As far as I can tell, the general level of stupidity of my comments is no more or less than the average form of discourse on these forums, so color me puzzled.

Eh, sorry.  I got a bit carried way with my butthurt rage. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's been weird, CoD 4 is pretty much perfect in terms of singleplayer and multiplayer when it comes to CoD. 

MW2 was excellent in terms of singleplayer, it was over the top and continued the Soap story. It's multiplayer was pretty new and exciting but it got abused bad and eventually just turned me off completely.

Black Ops fixed those multiplayer issues but in term slowed down the pace and made the multiplayer old quick. It's singleplayer had great set pieces and missions but lacked story or characters I cared about. 

I will buy MW3, I have enjoyed previous entries so I'm willing to hop on again. MW3 promises Spec Ops (which is one of my favorite parts of MW2) and continuing the story of Soap. If these things turn out to be true, then I will be satisfied. I have avoided multiplayer coverage because I simply don't care anymore, but maybe that will be cool and new again?

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpaceInsomniac: I also find that to be just odd but every game does it so I don't how I would feel if someone changed that now. It would completely change the flow of a game as you wouldn't be mindlessly spamming the reload button all the time.

With all that being said, I have stayed away from all MW3 news so far besides the trailers. If Soap and Captain Price are not in this game/play a pivotal role in MW3 I will be very very upset. I'm not asking for much, but I'm very worried after everything that has happened over the quality of yes the story of this game.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

The people who describe the MW2 story as being over the top have the most ridiculous expectations. I can appreciate people not enjoying the game, but a lot of the criticisms I read make it look like either nobody played it, nobody paid any attention or people have the most bizarre standards for what should and should not happen in a video game.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Vinny_Says said:
     CoD 4 is pretty much perfect in terms of singleplayer and multiplayer when it comes to CoD.  
    That.^^ 

I was excited for MW2 after CoD4 but was ultimately let down. It's one of those games that I pretend never existed. 

I liked the Blop's singleplayer because it was cool and shed a little light on governments and stuff with the brainwashing and secret missions and such but it wasn't amazing. I was surprised how they tied in W@W characters in it and that video that this guy did back in like January or something about how Treyarch did that hidden message with the letters in the beginning of missions and it spelled 'Reznov is dead. Or is he?' making me think that Treyarch will answer that in their next CoD. Good singleplayer, but far from great.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awesomeusername
    @PeasantAbuse said:

@Liber said:

No!  Gaz will never die!
    No! Gaz was killed with that headshot and Price was supposed to be dead but somehow resurrected. Soap was alive and well. You also didn't mention Griggs. 

Now I'm sorry PeasantAbuse, but Gaz is dead. I'm truly sorry. We all miss him.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @awesomeusername: Then who is this guy, huh?! 

No Caption Provided
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aus_azn
    @JBird: You did not play CoD 4, your opinion is essentially invalid.

CoD4's story was so perfect that it carries the MW2 story on its back. I think the story of Soap and Price was epic in the first game, and the second game did a disservice to the series by making the story far more over-the-top and preposterous.

BlOps, on the other hand, was pure shit. It was even less believable than MW2, filled with brown (like shit), and I really didn't like the whole interrogation motif. I found myself hating most of the characters to boot, except for Reznov, who's a total badass.

I hope IW (or its remnants, at least), clean up their act in MW3 and bring the story back to being believable, yet action-packed. I would not complain about a purely-SAS campaign either; the American campaigns always seem a bit tacked-on.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I loved the Call of Duty 4 campaign sooo much that I couldn't wait to dive into Modern Warfare 2. My favourite thing about the campaign of COD4 was it's over-the-top pace, insanity and noisiness of war, unfortunately MW2 was just too much of all that for me to have a good time with it - almost like I was overwhelmed by the ramping up of all the same things I loved about 4.

I've always meant to check out Black Ops but MW2 seemed to just totally take me out of the franchise. 

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i liked Black Ops' single player campaign better than MW2 because the campaign wasnt all over the place.  That being said, I liked MW2's multiplayer better because I had a better time on it, more friends played that game and I always had a goal in mind: to get a 25 killstreak

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    @awesomeusername: Then who is this guy, huh?! 

No Caption Provided
    Him? He's currently a ghost who also happens to be named Ghost and was shot in the back(?) and then burned to more death.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

I won't lie, I have bought every Call of Duty for its single player. I've enjoyed multiplayer, but I've beaten every one at least twice. 

My favorite thus far is MW1, and I don't think that it could be matched anytime soon. 

MW2 was OK, but it wasn't as good. 

Black Ops could have had one of the better stories, but THE NUMBERS kept being yelled at me the entire game and that one plot point got on my nerves. The reveal was well done and all, but when that was yelled at me the millionth time I was about ready to turn off the game. 

Plus, level-design wise, Black Ops just wasn't quite up to par. There were too many explosions, which is an accomplishment in and of itself but I didn't really enjoy the aural assault in it. 

Still, BlOps was a good campaign nonetheless.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShockD

I find the Black Ops' campaign the most dragging of all. While I played the Modern Warfare titles just for the cool missions and the cool voice of McKid, I actually managed to follow the story of Black Ops.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shootermcclay

I loved the campaign of World at War enough to platinum the game. I like my shooters to be methodical without "huge set-pieces bro" so naturally I didn't like Call of Duty 4 or Black Ops

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.