Am I the only one....(spoilers)

• 52 results
#1 Edited by supermonkey122 (835 posts) -

Who fucking cracked up at the "controversial" scene? My friend and I were playing through the campaign together and once we got to that part we fucking LOST IT! It's done so badly that we couldnt help but laughing.

Here's the scene:

(I'm going to hell aren't I?)

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

I didn't laugh, but I didn't care either. It was neat, but not nearly as controversial as some people made it out to be.

#3 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

It was silly to call it controversial.

#4 Edited by Barrock (3545 posts) -

BIRDS MOMMY! LOOK MOMMY THERE'S BIRDS!

Also just noticed it's the Davis family. Ryan behind the camera!?

#5 Posted by supermonkey122 (835 posts) -

@Barrock said:

BIRDS MOMMY! LOOK MOMMY THERE'S BIRDS!

Also just noticed it's the David family. Ryan behind the camera!?

If it was, my perspective on this scene has changed entirely. LOL

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Well, that was cool. Not controversial, but cool.

#7 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1788 posts) -

They had nowhere to go after No Russian so they had to bring in kids. Seems kind of desperate to me.

Now, if you played as the guy driving the truck...

#8 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

I find that scene hilarious

#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

What did we learn from this?

KAMIKAZE BIRDS KILL LITTLE CHILDREN BECAUSE THEY ARE TERRORISTS.

#10 Posted by Eudoxia (43 posts) -

Hey, atleast she did not get attacked by zombies, turned into a zombie, then get killed. Now that would just be way too much eh? 

#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -

the ending was more disturbing than this scene

#12 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

i thought ryan as soon as i saw 'davis family holiday'

in all seriousness, the entire portrayal of london in MW3 is just shoddy and makes me feel contempt for every fucking thing in that game.

#13 Posted by supermonkey122 (835 posts) -

@Eudoxia said:

Hey, atleast she did not get attacked by zombies, turned into a zombie, then get killed. Now that would just be way too much eh?

i c wut u did thar

#14 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
@QKT said:

i thought ryan as soon as i saw 'davis family holiday'

in all seriousness, the entire portrayal of london in MW3 is just shoddy and makes me feel contempt for every fucking thing in that game.

For a game that's aware of how outrageous it is...
#15 Posted by Eudoxia (43 posts) -
@supermonkey122 said:

@Eudoxia said:

i c wut u did thar

I r funny
#16 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Yes you are the only one, no one else in the world did that! You are unique!

#17 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut: i mean more in the way of the world that they've made; i'm glad these fictional in fictional london are dead!

football: check

taxi: check

postbox: check

phone box: check

pub: check

houses of parliament in an impossible position: check

#18 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

Just watched it. It was ridiculous.
That representation of London was very Team America.

#19 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Yeah, it was hilarious. It was trying so damn hard.

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

Just watched it. It was ridiculous. That representation of London was very Team America.

The representation of EVERYTHING in COD is very Team America.

#21 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

i didn't get far enough through the sp to get to paris, i stopped the moment i was fighting domesticated hyenas...

#22 Posted by animathias (1190 posts) -

I didn't find it funny at all. Definitely trying too hard, though, and not doing a very good job at it.

#23 Posted by Eudoxia (43 posts) -
@DonPixel said:

Yes you are the only one, no one else in the world did that! You are unique!

I am yes but please don't dwell on it sir. You may make my tiny head swell a bit. (in a non sexual manner mind you, but only because I don't have the equipment)
#24 Posted by supermonkey122 (835 posts) -

@QKT: It was in London

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

We all knew the kid was going to die. We just knew it. After No Russian, they'll have to try a fuck load harder to make something controversial.

#26 Posted by Slax (941 posts) -

I found "No Russian" to be a relatively well done segment in MW2. It was put together well, making you slow walk through the airport, and watch people get mowed down. I wasn't sure if I was going to be caught if I didn't shoot anyone, and as such was conflicted, it was kinda tough in a way, video game tough, but tough.

During this I laughed, hard. It was hilarious. It was so telegraphed, and the small child was annoying, and then she exploded. Which I know shouldn't be funny, but let's be honest it kind of was.

#27 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I wanted vanilla twist.

#28 Posted by SamFo (1535 posts) -

Wow, really? All these laugh out loud responses kind of disturb me. I know it might have been lame and simulated and whatever but it just seems weird that you would find it amusing?

#29 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

What's most entertaining about this is that the games media called this scene 'controversial' and then the community latched on. Thankfully I played this without any knowledge that this scene existed. IW or Sledgehammer weren't pimping this as 'We are edgy and pushing the envelope'. But the media dubs it as such and everyone takes the bait.

#30 Posted by desperado_ (39 posts) -

The birds were on Macarov's payroll.

#31 Edited by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

all the moments that were supposed to be holy fuck i can't believe that happened were stupid and so telegraphed you knew 10 minutes before they happened that they were going to happen.

and when soap dies WTF could that have been handled any worse, jesus fucking christ was that stupid, he falls and dies being shot a million times and stabed in the heart last game wasn't enough, but falling down that kills him.
#32 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

My thoughts during that scene were as follows:

"Fucking American tourists..."

I wasn't shocked or felt any attachment to these people. It didn't hit hard. It just felt dumb. It took me almost 5 minutes to realise I had to slowly wander forward in that scene anyway. It would have hit home more if it wasn't some random Americans that were just there by happen-stance and they chose to use the people actually living there to create some emotional attachment.

Ugh. I feel a blog coming on about this...

#33 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1576 posts) -

I was spared reading about prior to playing MW3, so the scene wasn't spoiled for me going in, but the second you see "Family Vacation" pop up, or whatever it was for the name of that "level", I just kind of sighed. It was so obviously telegraphed that they might as well have not even put it in there. If you're going to go for shock value, don't reveal your hand early like that.

#34 Posted by MrMazz (1023 posts) -

you mean I don't get to blow the lil girls head off how boring is that

#35 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

What cracked me up the most about that scene is the fact that you get the damage indicator icon from the direction of the explosion. Go back and rewatch it if you don't believe me.

#36 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

@SamFo said:

Wow, really? All these laugh out loud responses kind of disturb me. I know it might have been lame and simulated and whatever but it just seems weird that you would find it amusing?

My sentiments precisely. It baffles me how people can "lol" at these scenes, as poorly executed as they are.

I, for one, thought that MW3 did a better job at the campaign than MW2 did. MW2 took CoD4 and tried to do the same thing again, failing miserably by making it too flashy and ridiculous as compared to the original. MW3 just knew from the start that it was going to be total nonsense and testosterone-boosting "I BLOW SHIT UP" scenes, which I think they did rather well. It eschewed all of the refinement from the first game and the traces from the second to just make a batshit-nuts game that works. I guess part of my opinion on the game is due to the fact that I was literally expecting squat from MW3. Hell, I expected Soap, Price and every player character to die.

It was still better handled than the Halo series IMO.

#37 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

the ending was more disturbing than this scene

Yeah, hangings irk me a lot. Also whenever I play in that multiplayer map with the resistance fighters hanging from the gallows I feel kinda sick.

#38 Edited by arjybarjy (93 posts) -

Also, why is the family out enjoying their holiday when nuclear war and Russian invasion is happening in their own country? I'm not sure how merry you would be in a large capital city while the world is on the brink of complete destruction.

It makes the scene all the more shoehorned in.

edit: Plus considering how locked down the Houses of Parliament were and they weren't that far from it surely they would have been notified by anyone/everyone that some shit is going down.

#39 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

They didn't even check the driver in the shootout scene...

@desperado_ said:

The birds were on Macarov's payroll.

Hahahha, that made my day.

Also, note how the cars are driving on the ride side of the road. And the people in the first scene were like 15 meters away like it was a burning building and not a bloody chemical weapon threat.

#40 Posted by desperado_ (39 posts) -

@Sitoxity said:

My thoughts during that scene were as follows:

"Fucking American tourists..."

I wasn't shocked or felt any attachment to these people. It didn't hit hard. It just felt dumb. It took me almost 5 minutes to realise I had to slowly wander forward in that scene anyway. It would have hit home more if it wasn't some random Americans that were just there by happen-stance and they chose to use the people actually living there to create some emotional attachment.

Ugh. I feel a blog coming on about this...

You're just jealous because no one wants to blow YOU up.

#41 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@supermonkey122 said:

Who fucking cracked up at the "controversial" scene? My friend and I were playing through the campaign together and once we got to that part we fucking LOST IT! It's done so badly that we couldnt help but laughing.

Here's the scene:

(I'm going to hell aren't I?)

I was going to condemn you thinking that some guy was going to pull up, and straight up shoot the kid, or she was going to take a stray bullet. but that was almost comicly funny. but i will give them credit for putting that in their, and killing a kid. Hopefully a step forward, to having kids as full, fleshed out charactures, that can live and die in games.

#42 Edited by Brendan (7843 posts) -

No, you're not the only one.

You're never the only one.

Stop it.

#43 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

@desperado_: I'm not from London. You missed the point entirely.

#44 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

It's just a normal cut-scene. Since they did the airport scene in the last Modern Warfare, they felt the need to do it again, so they just crammed this one in.

#45 Posted by desperado_ (39 posts) -

@Sitoxity said:

@desperado_: I'm not from London. You missed the point entirely.

I never implied you were from London... I just implied that you sound a little... stupid? Yes. Stupid.

#46 Posted by Stonyman65 (2764 posts) -

When I saw that I was like "oh shit" but that's about it. There has been way worse stuff in games.

As for the end, I thought that was actually kind of badass. 'cause if you think about it, that's exactly what Price would do. Kill that motherfucker and then have a smoke. The whole hanging thing was just a matter of opportunity. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

I didn't laugh, but I didn't care either. It was neat, but not nearly as controversial as some people made it out to be.

Cause COD has tried to hard to get shock and awe done? 
#48 Posted by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

I was left wondering why the "family" was allowed only one recording take. "There it is, sweetie, it's right there! Honey, are you getting this?!"

Who talks like that?!

#49 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

LOL this game is so fucking dumb.

#50 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

I don't know, I thought the camera thing was kind of a neat effect, but yeah that fucking car exploding was so goddamn crud, I couldn't help but lose it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.