Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Do You Think all the Hacking Will be Fixed in MW3?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By intro

I'm talking about on consoles. It seems like every single CoD game, there is a huge amount of hacking and/or modding. You'll get in games and rank up to the last rank for shooting one guy, get demoted, have unlimited ammo and things like that. Just the other day I was playing CoD4 with a friend and there were messages coming up constantly on the side saying, "Hacked by 'guys gamertag' go to somethingmodz.com!"  

If you still play that game every once in awhile on consoles, you know what I'm talking about. Then we go into another match and everyone has super speed. Stuff like this still happens occasionally in MW2 and Black Ops. It doesn't really bother me, but it's getting ridiculous when this happens every year. It's not like people asking for much. It's mostly a reskinned multiplayer and a 6 hour campaign. If that's what people like and how the companies make their cash, then fine. At least fix it up a little bit. I find it hard to believe they can't get/hire a team to fix these issues. 

I honestly don't believe the security in MW3 will be much better, at all. I'm wondering about other people's opinions though, do you guys think there will be less or no hacking/mods in MW3? 

Also, MW2, it came to the point where they told people to stop playing online because the hacking could mess up your account. I remember reading on the forums, Robert Bowling posted that people should try playing customs with their friends until the hacking was fixed.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By phish09

I don't think "hacking" will ever totally be fixed in any online game or online service.  So long as there are immature kids with access to computers and the internet, there will be hackers.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By intro
    @phish09 said:
    I don't think "hacking" will ever totally be fixed in any online game or online service.  So long as there are immature kids with access to computers and the internet, there will be hackers.
    True, but it seems to happen a lot less in other online games.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    Cause lots more people play the COD games. 
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By phish09
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    Exactly. 
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By intro
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    I don't think that's the main reason. I think it's because it's so easy. CoD is a game where kids can go and Youtube how to do this within 15 minutes. Other games aren't that easy, if they were, they'd be hacked a lot too.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Intro said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    I don't think that's the main reason. I think it's because it's so easy. CoD is a game where kids can go and Youtube how to do this within 15 minutes. Other games aren't that easy, if they were, they'd be hacked a lot too.
    Yes....yes it is. 

The guys even said with the COD games" WHen you have this many people beating on it. Its bound to break"  

Its because lots of people play it and lots of people wanna look lke they are better on it. So yes..its hacked more because more people play it. 
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MideonNViscera

It won't be any different. 

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd

Nope. People have been hacking games to cheat since games have existed.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alternate
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    Yes....yes it is.  The guys even said with the COD games" WHen you have this many people beating on it. Its bound to break"   Its because lots of people play it and lots of people wanna look lke they are better on it. So yes..its hacked more because more people play it. 
    It is like viruses.  The reason there are very few on Mac isn't because Apple have a super secure platform or that writing for Mac is much harder - it is because lots more ppl have a PC.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @alternate said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Intro said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Intro said:
    @phish09 said:
    Yes....yes it is.  The guys even said with the COD games" WHen you have this many people beating on it. Its bound to break"   Its because lots of people play it and lots of people wanna look lke they are better on it. So yes..its hacked more because more people play it. 
    It is like viruses.  The reason there are very few on Mac isn't because Apple have a super secure platform or that writing for Mac is much harder - it is because lots more ppl have a PC.
    Bingo. The more or something there is the more people will use it. And the chances of those people being the ones to hack it is higher.  

Does not matter if its easy to hack. They will still do it. 
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Subjugation

As long as there are games people will hack them. Fact.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By intro

How about when games like Gears of War 1 was in the top 3 most played game on XBL? It was never hacked. Gears 2 was top 5 at one point, it was hacked once and fixed within a month, not getting hacked again. The hack that hit Gears 2 wasn't even possible to do when the game launched, it was a security flaw happened in an update. (I know with my avatar, I'm speaking like a fanboy, but those are just two examples that come to mind. I will admit that game has a huge flaws when it comes to online, but it doesn't get hacked.) 

I can agree that more people = more cheating is true to some degree, but I think the hacking is mostly due to Infinity Ward's and Treyarch's fault.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Intro: I'm pretty sure there were at least two times the number of people who played Modern Warfare 2 than there were those who played Gears of War 2.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Intro said:
    How about when games like Gears of War 1 was in the top 3 most played game on XBL? It was never hacked. Gears 2 was top 5 at one point, it was hacked once and fixed within a month, not getting hacked again. The hack that hit Gears 2 wasn't even possible to do when the game launched, it was a security flaw happened in an update. (I know with my avatar, I'm speaking like a fanboy, but those are just two examples that come to mind. I will admit that game has a huge flaws when it comes to online, but it doesn't get hacked.)  I can agree that more people = more cheating is true to some degree, but I think the hacking is mostly due to Infinity Ward's and Treyarch's fault.
    Because MS is very into banning people for hacking. And blame falls on devs. The COD devs never really tired hard to fix this stuff. But again main reason is these games are played the most 
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By intro
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @Intro: I'm pretty sure there were at least two times the number of people who played Modern Warfare 2 than there were those who played Gears of War 2.
    Yes, but my point is that there are games that are not hackable due to a simple USB mod/flash/jtag. Those games hardly ever get hacked, if at all. Sure there are other ways to hack them, but it's much harder and makes hacking happen a lot less.  

I'm trying to say that I hope Infinity Ward improves their security when it comes to these easy USB mods, etc. There will be a lot less hacking if they do so.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just wish the PC version would have dedicated servers, and that would fix it for PC.  I almost never saw hacking on CoD4 pc, and when there was hacking server admins would ban them instantly.  I see it often-ish (not as much anymore though, seems a lot of them moved on to Black Ops I guess) in MW2 though.

Does suck for the console crowd, I played MW2 on Xbox 360 quite a bit as well as some on PS3 and the hacking sucked.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

No. The CoD games will always get hacked to shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No, there is no motivation as they will still sell gajillions.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Solemn

Activision doesn't give a damn about hacking so I expect this issue won't be fixed in November.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main reason that people hack on CoD4 and MW2 and WaW is because they're old and not many people play them anymore. They don't get security updates and such, and when the new CoD comes out each year the previous one is effectively dead. But no, I kinda doubt that MW3 fill fare any better on the security front after the next CoD comes out. Bowling has said that their post-launch support for it will be better than MW2 though, although I don't think he's mentioned anything about security stuff after the game dies.

captaincool246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By captaincool246

if we're lucky and i mean REALLY lucky then yea it's possible! however considering infinity wards history with bugs in MW2 and the COD series in general i think it will depend on how much they actually pay attention to it and i think it will also depend on how well its beta tested if its anything like MW2 or black ops was in terms of testing?....we're screwed 

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By 234r2we232
    @captaincool246 said:
    if we're lucky and i mean REALLY lucky then yea it's possible! however considering infinity wards history with bugs in MW2 and the COD series in general i think it will depend on how much they actually pay attention to it and i think it will also depend on how well its beta tested if its anything like MW2 or black ops was in terms of testing?....we're screwed 
    It is near impossible to keep a game that is as popular and competitive like Call of Duty from being modded/exploited. These games are released fairly tight and go through quite a bit of multiplayer testing - probably more so than your average game - but there's no way you can prepare anything for millions of people banging on your code like they do with these. 

Not that I don't think the people that do cheat in these games are dirtbags, but those people who enjoy blaming the developers because it's cool to hate the popular stuff need to stop. There's only so much they can do when you're up against millions and millions of people who want the easiest win possible.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye

@Intro: *looks at title*

AAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

You so funny.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

Microsoft seems to the only proactive company that targets hackers and bans their consoles.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kandycane2029
    @Solemn said:
    Activision doesn't give a damn about hacking so I expect this issue won't be fixed in November.
    Why bother invest some of that money back into the user experience when you could be lining your own pocket? 

Not to say I would, but that's classic Activision logic.
    thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thespartandon

You can't just 'fix' hacking.

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By left4doof

I think the problem stems from a lack of enforcement on activsions part . Especially  on consoles .

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By stonyman65

Hackers will always find a way. It sucks, but that's how it works.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

I'm going to have to go ahead and say no.

lazyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lazyb

Cod is a huge target because of the numbers playing it. Hacking will continue to be a issue if they ignore the problem like the past titles. Hopefully part of Beachhead's job is to try an stay ahead of hacks.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By OneManX

Black Ops got patched fairly quick and from what I've played recently , there doesnt seem to be any game breaking exploits.

MW2 went to hell because that game was pretty dead int he water like 3 months after it came out due to the massive fallout from the West/Zampella stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.