E3 2011: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Stage Demo

• 101 results
#1 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Interesting.

#2 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

Pretty cool.

#3 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Yeah, ok. Looked fine, and I'll probably play the SP campaign to finish this.

But I have no interest in multiplayer what so ever.

#4 Posted by deadly_polo (471 posts) -

I am probably just going to loan this off a friend for a weekend to play the Campaign

#5 Posted by Skrams (271 posts) -

Don't get why this was an Xbox Press Conference thing, they have the deal for map packs exclusivity but its still a multiplatform thing. But yeah. 

Theres Captain Price and you shoot doods with a red dot sight bro.

#6 Posted by shadowwolf9 (159 posts) -

@Skrams: And they showed games like Bioshock Infinite during the Sony Conference while that series was first exclusive to Xbox. What's your point?

#7 Posted by Chuck_ (207 posts) -

This game looks exactly like Modern Warfare 1 & 2 with some skyscrapers. Not interested.

#8 Posted by Skrams (271 posts) -
@shadowwolf9 said:

@Skrams: And they showed games like Bioshock Infinite during the Sony Conference while that series was first exclusive to Xbox. What's your point?

Pretty much its just I don't get it. It being show something multiplatform at a MS or Sony exclusive conference. Also with Bioshock Infinite that seems a bit less weird. Bioshock 1 was ported to PS3 and even given exclusive challenge room DLC. And also they had Ken Levine saying something about him being wrong about the PS Move and the direction or something.
#9 Posted by AssInAss (2619 posts) -

Is the dude on the boat constipated? Always shifting from left to right? WTF?!

#10 Posted by Psych0Penguin (412 posts) -

Even though I want to shit all over this and say "It's just another call of doody" I still got excited watching that.

#11 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -
@kingchris28 said:
I am probably just going to loan this off a friend for a weekend to play the Campaign
Exactly my thoughts.
#12 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -

This looks pretty okay, I might pick it up depending how good/bad BF3 is.

#13 Posted by Scooopex (43 posts) -

With battlefield 3 looking so good, and this just looking like MW2 I can say that this will be the first COD game I will not play. At least not at launch, probably:P

#14 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1199 posts) -

Still no multi, huh?

#15 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

ummm wouldnt you just get totally sucked into those big ass submarine engine blades? sigh

#16 Posted by tyger_cheex (82 posts) -

I'm with Jeff, looks like they switched to video after the "please reconnect controller" message!

#17 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Good to see ECW's Sandman getting new game credits... 

But in all seriousness, this looked pretty cool. I liked how the gunfight started on top of a submarine XD 

Also, a little disappointed they weren't riding sharks at the end there.
#18 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -

Looks cool but I now think that what you see around you is all Fancy In game FMV and rendered stuff and the actual game and game rendering all feels very narrow in that demo.
I bet if you went to far left in the boat for example you would either hit an invisible wall or magically be blown up or shot at by something and die.
The whole MW experience is about the story and experience and I did enjoy one and two but it is basically a single player Rail shooter and people will care more for the multiplayer.

Battlefield for me has always been the better online experience for me. I know this mainly due to it suiting my play style and what you enjoy is always important. I know others will prefer how MW handles, I just do not.

I like to be able to settle into a part of the map and do some hurt on people and then move to another location or be on the attack. BUT to know you can settle for a bit, find a nice spot wait for enemy to come before moving on after taking out a few guys and staying alive for more then 5 minutes is enjoyable.
MW I like the multiplayer but I am mainly frustrated by it, just as you get stuck into it or moving around - DEAD!
You just move a bit in the map - Dead, the maps are not that big so you catch your breath or hunting a few enemy to try and come up with a good ambush - DEAD.

You die in Battlefield of course but I always felt I was in control. Tanks and things were cool and if you have the right moment you can rack up some kills but they were also vulnerable and people were on to it enough to take them out in good time. With destructible stuff going on that is even more important and people will.

Bigger maps, more variation of maps, more options, larger player numbers (PC) so you feel more part of an army and not one of the sole people that can get killed you just feel you have more options.
That is my view.

The single player in BF3 vs MW they have defiantly taken aspects of MW as to why that has great moments and put it in the game, because lets face it, Battlefield single player - what single player? in the past. Nothing wrong with that but it also feels more open and less "On Rails"

I am with Brad as well in terms of games on rails and quick time events. To offer those moments is really cool at the right parts of a game but when EVERYONE is doing it every 2 minutes!
NOOOOOO!
We want to play a video game, not an interactive movie.

#19 Posted by GDGD (19 posts) -

meh 

#20 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

Day one purchase for me. 

#21 Posted by StrawHatLaw13 (166 posts) -

Looks great!

#22 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

God, I love how ridiculous this series has become. Game budgets are so out of control these days, that it's nice to see games that actually look like they cost as much as they really do by just having as much obnoxious shit happening at the same time as it can. I won't be able to touch the multiplayer, but I'll definitely play for the campaign. Fuck "realism."

#23 Posted by Evan_Buchholz (122 posts) -

God the "gameplay" of this game is just so boring now

SHOOT THESE GUYS

GET TO THE CHECKPOINT

SHOOT THESE GUYS

SLOW MOTION

EXPLOSION

TURRET SEQUENCE

I don't even think Halo 4 is going to be that much different than all the Halo games....

#24 Posted by leejunfan83 (961 posts) -

call of duty bad boys edition 

#25 Posted by Zeemod (303 posts) -

It may be the same generic formula but it's the same generic formula that gets me to keep playing.

#26 Posted by Metalman781 (88 posts) -

I think it looks awesome... no where near Battlefield 3 though

#27 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

Thank god for Gamefly

#28 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

It looks like an awesome action movie, but there's not much game in here

#29 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Looks really good. BF3 looks way better though.

#30 Posted by Sogeman (867 posts) -

Looks like the last 2 games.

#31 Posted by chadfx (14 posts) -

looks like more of the same

#32 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Seems good enough for a purchase buut with the money backing this thing I expected it to look just a little bit cooler. But that's just me being picky.

#33 Posted by doe3879 (793 posts) -

definitely worth a rent for the campaign

#34 Posted by Luck3ySe7en (240 posts) -

Holy crap, the character you play is called SSgt Frost... we just name a street on base after Sgt Frost a month ago--he died a helicopter crash in Iraq. Good man.

When it comes to multiplayer, this game really isn't for me. I'm still interested to see what happens in what is hopefully a conclusion to Soap and Price's story. And that soundtrack had Harry Gregson-Williams all over it.

#35 Edited by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Did absolutely nothing for me. 

Also, inb4 Michael Bay reference.

#36 Posted by GLITTER_FUDGING (5 posts) -

looks familiar

#37 Posted by core1065 (543 posts) -

That was pretty intense!

#38 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I'll rent it.

#39 Posted by GigaKill (54 posts) -

Screw it, I still buy it even if it feels the same as MW2.

#40 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Still looks fun

#41 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Hey look they ripped off Rainbow Six except they need slowmo to take down the terrorists in the room for the retard casual audience and there's no hostages for any real pressure or player emotional engagement. So shit again made by not even the real devs of the original series. Woo. Eat up your shit frat boys.

#42 Posted by Hector (3359 posts) -
I'm done with military shooters. This looks like the same experience from the past 3 CoD games, nothing new or exciting. 
#43 Posted by zeezkos (64 posts) -

Not to be a hater, but why don't they just make movies/tv shows ?  They seem really good at designing set pieces.  The gameplay part seems a bit lacking.. mostly just 'follow here' and then a few really easy shooting sequences. 

then again, this is the portion they wanted to demo.. so it had to be a big set piece that looked impressive even if it didn't play impressive.  I also must admit that I haven't played either of the prequels so I am going based off what i've seen of all 3 games so far...

#44 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I was so thrilled by that boat bit at the end, just like the snowmobile chase it made me full of wow.

#45 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

The 15 minutes of BF3 gameplay obviously shows that it's vastly superior, since it's managed to demonstrate every point in the single player. We totally know that it's not going to be a repeat of Medal of Honor.

#46 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@Coldbrand said:
Hey look they ripped off Rainbow Six except they need slowmo to take down the terrorists in the room for the retard casual audience and there's no hostages for any real pressure or player emotional engagement. So shit again made by not even the real devs of the original series. Woo. Eat up your shit frat boys.
YEAH WHAT THE EFF BRO EVERY GAME IS RIPPING OFF RAINBOW SIX ALSO SHOOTING PEEPLE IS DUMB WHY NOT JUST BE FRIENDZ? DIS SUX.
#47 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (272 posts) -

Inside the Submarine looks exactly like the cargo ship sequence from the MW1. The rest of the sequence looks like they redid parts of the ship level in Black ops.

#48 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Day one purchase for me.

#49 Edited by EthanML (455 posts) -

Good to see CoD is the new thing it's cool to be cynical and snarky about. You're all so sophisticated and superior, we're all jealous.

#50 Posted by Captain_Funky (4 posts) -

Call of Rail: Modern Script. Meh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.