Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

I didn't want this, but...

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tacoboy1986

After picking up COD: Black Ops last year, I told myself that I wasn't getting next year's COD. I was watching the Quicklook and the Spec Op stuff looks kind of fun. Im also curious about the Kill Confirmed mode. Pardon the pun, but I can't seem to resist the call. I have COD3, COD4, World at War, and Black Ops. I've played a bit of Modern Warfare 2 too.

Is this worth getting? Also, does anyone else feel the same way in that they weren't planning on getting it, but might be changing their stance?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Did the same thing. I, however, rented it. I'd recommend going that route. Redbox has it.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

It's not that good. CoD4 is more fun.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By GTCknight

Never liked any COD games after the first, so I can't say it's a good idea. But, hey if you like those games then why not. right?

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Having rented the game I can say it's less enjoyable than Black Ops. I don't quite know what it is but despite the batshit insanity of the campaign it all seems a little pedestrian. Maybe it's because everything is always going so fast that you never get the chance to take in what's happening?

It probably also has something to do with the fact that they take control out of your hands more than they've ever done before and it just removes any tension that might have been building. Also for what it's worth I found the game really easy. I am only playing on hardened because veteran grenade spam is just annoying but the whole thing has been a real breeze.

RespectTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RespectTheNerd

as a hardcore call of duty fan i can honestly tell you that you shouldnt get this game. the single player is boring with more vehicle levels than before and the multiplayer is so boring now when everyone can get killstreaks with the support system. for me it was just a big waste of money

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ventilaator
    @Tacoboy1986 said:

Im also curious about the Kill Confirmed mode.

What the fucking fuck. No wonder those games sell so well. Just add another deathmatch mode and people are interested all over again. 

HEY GUYS, GUYS HEY GUYS, I've got an idea for Black Ops 2. How about a mode that's basically deathmatch, but killing someone gives you more ammo. You can call it Refill mode. 

INNOVATION!!
    Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@Ventilaator said:

@Tacoboy1986 said:

What the fucking fuck. No wonder those games sell so well. Just add another deathmatch mode and people are interested all over again. HEY GUYS, GUYS HEY GUYS, I've got an idea for Black Ops 2. How about a mode that's basically deathmatch, but killing someone gives you more ammo. You can call it Refill mode. INNOVATION:

Brilliant, who needs infinity ward anyways

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

@GTCknight said:

Never liked any COD games after the first, so I can't say it's a good idea. But, hey if you like those games then why not. right?

Thanks for this insightful post.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Ventilaator said:
    @Tacoboy1986 said:

What the fucking fuck. No wonder those games sell so well. Just add another deathmatch mode and people are interested all over again.   HEY GUYS, GUYS HEY GUYS, I've got an idea for Black Ops 2. How about a mode that's basically deathmatch, but killing someone gives you more ammo. You can call it Refill mode.   INNOVATION!!
    10 million copies sold, easy.
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By MayorFeedback

PC Gamer's review summed up exactly how I feel about MW3:

"Modern Warfare 3 is linear, badly written and one note. It’s still, from a certain angle, regressive. It’s also fun."

As far as Kill Confirmed goes, it's nothing especially new but my friend and I had a blast in it the other night. I'm a very casual multiplayer guy, but I've been really enjoying and playing a lot of Kill Confirmed. And Survival mode (definitely not anything groundbreaking) is way more fun than I expected it to be.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

This might sound harsh, but when games like this get released and it might become the best selling video game in history it makes me not want to have video games as a hobby anymore. I have a hard time justifying video games as a valid form of entertainment to my friends or parents who look at Video games as just kids toys when the few people i know who bought MW3 explain why they got it by saying "ITS FUN!"

its just one game though....I gotta let it go LET IT GO MAN

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting it either, but my PS3 clan seems to really be enjoying it. They don't think it's perfect obviously. but apparently everyone seems to be enjoying it more than they expected so I might pick it up and join 'em.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm

Are you telling me that...

...you never asked for this. ?

On a serious note: I might end up getting into Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, mainly because I haven't been into the multiplayer since Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and I am just really interested in seeing how fucking crazy it's all gotten. And it looks like this might be the last Modern Warfare-branded Call Of Duty. Not excited at the news of Treyarch's 2012 entry next year, but also not entirely surprised.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By nintendoeats

There are so many games...no one should have all of this power.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kashif1

@Jack268 said:

Have you played cod 4 recently? It's still fun but the multiplayer is hard to go back to after MW2.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ichthy

Meh, I like it, mostly for the multiplayer. The campaign is completely disposable and kind of a mess. BO's campaign was much tighter with a more interesting story.

The question is...are you into the multiplayer? If not, don't buy this game.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrHawking

I like it just fine but the MP maps in the game just feel off. Its still fun but I definitely recommend the rent before buy route to see if you like it.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268
    @kashif1 said:

@Jack268 said:

Have you played cod 4 recently? It's still fun but the multiplayer is hard to go back to after MW2.

I have indeed. If I do want to play CoD, I start my Xbox and play 4. MW2, 3 and Black Ops just aren't that appealing to me. It's a shame so few people play it. I'm even considering getting it for PC.
    Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tacoboy1986

@Jack268: Actually I've been playing some matches on COD4 recently and I didn't have any trouble finding any matches.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By pantzing_nome

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

This might sound harsh, but when games like this get released and it might become the best selling video game in history it makes me not want to have video games as a hobby anymore. I have a hard time justifying video games as a valid form of entertainment to my friends or parents who look at Video games as just kids toys when the few people i know who bought MW3 explain why they got it by saying "ITS FUN!"

Why is having your friends play something because its fun and they enjoy doing it a bad thing?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Castiel

@HandsomeDead said:

@GTCknight said:

And thanks for your likewise insightful post HandsomeDead... or you know... not. I know for a fact that the world will be ending the day you actually post something useful, meaning that it isn't just another try to be a snarky hipster doing his best to ridicule other people.

In other words I'm seriously getting tired of your forced "I'm better than everybody else" attitude. It just seems fake!

Why don't you try to add something useful to this forum after all your bullshit?

I usually don't go off on people like this, and I have said what I wanted to say to you, but your fake "trying to be cool and different" attitude while attacking other people is getting old.

In fact it just makes you look even more insecure than you probably are.

And you can reply with yet another "smart" witty remark, but that just proves my point.

Enjoy.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sooty
    @Castiel said:

@HandsomeDead said:

@GTCknight said:

And thanks for your likewise insightful post HandsomeDead... or you know... not. I know for a fact that the world will be ending the day you actually post something useful, meaning that it isn't just another try to be a snarky hipster doing his best to ridicule other people.

In other words I'm seriously getting tired of your forced "I'm better than everybody else" attitude. It just seems fake!

Why don't you try to add something useful to this forum after all your bullshit?

I usually don't go off on people like this, and I have said what I wanted to say to you, but your fake "trying to be cool and different" attitude while attacking other people is getting old.

And you can reply with yet another "smart" witty remark, but that just proves my point.

Enjoy.

No Caption Provided
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Castiel

@Sooty: Damn straight!

;P

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By clstirens

@Sooty: I don't think we could have asked for a better Reaction Image

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
    @Castiel said:

@HandsomeDead said:

@GTCknight said:

Enjoy.

Yup. 

You learn to ignore him.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twisted_Scot

As a general fan of the series (MP) I'd tell you to 100% skip this one. ALL maps are too small and even ruin some game modes like HQ. Kill confirmed it pretty much just TDM but Ive noticed so far people are too stupid to bother actually going for the dog tags half the time not to mention picking up your own teams tags before the enemy do. I would have been happy enough with yet another tweaked COD game but this (to me anyways) feels like a really dumb step back. Seems tailored to the cheap player that enjoys camping behind a truck for the whole game but to be fair its not like he could go anywhere else since the maps are like 20ft by 20ft squared. Only reason im holding onto my copy is to get the inevitable COD 4 maps that will come.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LeYcH

If you liked the other CODS, you're going to love this.

If you don't like COD, this game isn't going to change your mind as this is just an improved refined version of MW2 and Blops.

kirklebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kirklebum

I didn't think I was going to get MW3 but was talking to a friend and decided to go pick it up. I made my purchase decision because I decided that I'd get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it. I have a few old high school friends who drive an hour or two to my house a couple times a month to get drunk and play video games all evening. We toss in all kinds of games but usually at some point we end up in MW2 for a bit in either Spec Ops or taking turns murdering/getting murdered online.

I'm happy with the purchase but I wouldn't recommend MW3 to anyone who can only afford a few games a year unless they're really, really into Modern Warfare. At this point everyone already knows this game is pretty much exactly the same as its predecessor but with a different paint job. As somebody who enjoys that ride I figure over the next two years I'll play it enough, mostly in 20 minute bursts or with friends, to justify the purchase because I can afford to buy more mentally stimulating games such as Skyrim or, ahem, Saints Row: The Third. For people who can't afford to get several games this month but still want to play Modern Warfare I wouldn't recommend it. MW2 is still going strong and, yeah, it's basically the same game. There are probably better options depending on what style of game you like to play.

I enjoy FPS games but I chose MW3 over BF3 because I ended up playing a lot more MW2 than BF2. Maybe if I had a clan or people on my friends list who played BF3 I probably would have gone that direction because it's more team oriented. For a single player FPS I would recommend Rage but only if you can get it on sale or rent it. The story was too bland to make it worthwhile although it looks awesome and plays well. I'll probably still get the remastered Halo: CE game but that's mostly for nostalgia reasons. I did have a blast playing split-screen online in Halo: Reach with my friends the other night but for whatever reason I haven't been that into the Halo multiplayer since spending countless hours in Halo 2. There are plenty of other options out there even in the console FPS genre but if you want some bite-sized fun it's probably the best option out there.

I'll never be one of those people to play MW3 all day every day but I figure over the couple years I'll play it enough to make it worthwhile, and really, what's wrong with that? Not every game has to be some super unique and thought-provoking experience for me - I've enjoyed the shit out of some sports game. It might piss of that other Giantbomber but I will justify buying this game because I find it fun. I play games because I like to have fun playing games and MW3 is fun to me. It's easy to use the fast food metaphor as an example, so I'll use it. Most of the time I cook for myself, take vitamins and exercise but sometimes I'm just in the mood to swing through McDonalds and get a bag of those goddam dollar double cheese burgers. It's not healthy to subsist solely on that but every so often that's exactly what you need. Sometimes I just want to shoot dudes for a few minutes and the nice thing about buying a Modern Warfare game is you know in two or three years you can go back to it and there will be thousands of people still playing. The same can't be said for a lot of multiplayer games after a year or two.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By beargirl1

it's fun once you start unlocking good guns and have friends to play with!

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By slax

Reading through this there are a lot of conflicting comments. Personally from what I've played, mostly campaign, dabbled in some of the other modes, it's fun. It feels better then Black Ops, but we'll see.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By handlas

eh i caved in and bought it today...fuck me and hype. I regret my purchase already. Popped back in Uncharted 2 after a couple hours. Wish I had just saved that 60 bucks for Assassin's Creed.

Mb246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mb246

@Castiel: I agree, Handsome dead trolls.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vitor

@Napalm said:

Are you telling me that...

...you never asked for this. ?

On a serious note: I might end up getting into Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, mainly because I haven't been into the multiplayer since Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and I am just really interested in seeing how fucking crazy it's all gotten. And it looks like this might be the last Modern Warfare-branded Call Of Duty. Not excited at the news of Treyarch's 2012 entry next year, but also not entirely surprised.

Thank you. That's how I read this to start with.

Also, in the same boat. Never touched the MP since COD4, despite having played the SP of MW2 and BLOPS (missed out on WAW). Getting back into it now and I'm really digging the new modes. Was Team Defender a new addition also or did I just miss that previously? I just love the way they concentrate the action in certain areas so there's none of the frustration that usually comes with Team DM.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gunstar

@Ventilaator said:

@Tacoboy1986 said:

What the fucking fuck. No wonder those games sell so well. Just add another deathmatch mode and people are interested all over again. HEY GUYS, GUYS HEY GUYS, I've got an idea for Black Ops 2. How about a mode that's basically deathmatch, but killing someone gives you more ammo. You can call it Refill mode. INNOVATION!!

Jesus Christ, how are you guys letting drivel like this go through unopposed.

Yes, fucking innovation. Because if we didn't build on deathmatch one game at a time we'd all be playing iterations of Quake for the last 15 years.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tacoboy1986

@Kirklebum: I'm the same way. As fun as the online can be, I enjoy playing offline co-op with buddies or family. Its having the other players in the same room that make it a lot of fun. I suppose some beers help the mood too.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Masha2932
    @thehuntsmen5434 said:

Why do you feel that way? It's not reasonable to drop your hobby because many people find one genre popular. Call of Duty is the equivalent of a fun popcorn flick. It's quick, bombastic and enjoyable. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's the only game that is representative of video games and the industry at large. Look at James Cameron's Avatar. It made billions, but it's not the only movie that is representative of the film industry. There are many different genres and you shouldn't worry about justifying gaming your parents, tell them it's one of many genres that represent gaming. And for your friends who bought the game, they enjoy the game so let them be. You're their friend and you should support their decisions. You can even use their purchase of MW3 to introduce them to other games and genres.If they like the first person perspective introduce them to other first person games like Skyrim and Portal. If they enjoy the explosions and craziness that COD provides, point them to Just cause 2 or Bulletstorm. 

Like you say in your conclusion just let it go. Games are for fun and don't drop your hobby because of what others may think about it.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

Frankly, the only reason I can see to go with MW3 is because all of the other people playing multiplayer will possibly move to it. I've always been able to tolerate every iteration - especially when it comes to multiplayer. This is the first time I felt significantly let down. Also, predator missiles and heartbeat detectors are back. Fucking meh. Hell, they don't even have an option to turn the music off. What the fuck?!

It almost seems like something you'd put out if you were trying to sabotage yourself. Sort of like a huge musician stuck to a label for four albums putting out a "fuck off" album just to meet the contractual obligation on the fourth album.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GTCknight

@CL60: I did ignore him. However, I must admit that all of those posts where awesome and I'm now happy I said nothing.

Back on post again. I was always more of a Halo kind of guy, really enjoyed the idea of having to earn each and every single one of my kills. And I did play a lot MW2 but it just got so boring to me. Never really liked the whole killstreak thing either. Made the matches feel far to easy.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Hizang

I got into Call of Duty just before Black ops came out, and I really enjoyed it. I am also really enjoying this and the multiplayer has got its claws into me again.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By ventilaator
    @gunstar said:

@Ventilaator said:

@Tacoboy1986 said:

What the fucking fuck. No wonder those games sell so well. Just add another deathmatch mode and people are interested all over again. HEY GUYS, GUYS HEY GUYS, I've got an idea for Black Ops 2. How about a mode that's basically deathmatch, but killing someone gives you more ammo. You can call it Refill mode. INNOVATION!!

Jesus Christ, how are you guys letting drivel like this go through unopposed.

Yes, fucking innovation. Because if we didn't build on deathmatch one game at a time we'd all be playing iterations of Quake for the last 15 years.

Thanks for clearing the high sales of that game up even more. I didn't know renaming deathmatch and adding an irrelevant extra step to it qualifies as "building on deathmatch"
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@Ventilaator: I'm not a fan of the gamemode but I think that undersells it a little. It does change up the dynamics by forcing at least a few people to be out in the open to collect tags reducing the ability of a team to camp up and farm kills that way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If you ask me, it's so much better than Black Ops. I was hesistant to get it and was burnt out on Black Ops and never really that impressed with it to begin with. But MW3 won me over very quickly. Totally worth it.

fuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fuddles

It's fun enough when you first start playing it, but after only a few days I'm already feeling burnt out on it. Whereas past Call of Duty games at least made some sort of an effort to play slightly different than the other, Modern Warfare 3 looks and plays exactly like Modern Warfare 2, which really gets rid of the whole excitement of playing something new. It doesn't even feel like a sequel to me, it's just sort of a second Modern Warfare 2 disc that got lost in shipment and is finally getting released two years later.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Bollard

@Jack268 said:

This sentence has been true since CoD4 came out.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By theoldhouse

NO

the story mode is actually pretty fun as is spec ops survival but the multiplayer really isn't very good. Mainly due to nothing but tiny maps that just aren't very good compared to previous CODs. Also it has the least amount of new stuff.

I mean really you have to be a massive fan to get this.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By MildMolasses

@gunslingerNZ said:

Having rented the game I can say it's less enjoyable than Black Ops. I don't quite know what it is but despite the batshit insanity of the campaign it all seems a little pedestrian. Maybe it's because everything is always going so fast that you never get the chance to take in what's happening?

It probably also has something to do with the fact that they take control out of your hands more than they've ever done before and it just removes any tension that might have been building. Also for what it's worth I found the game really easy. I am only playing on hardened because veteran grenade spam is just annoying but the whole thing has been a real breeze.

I'm curious: I haven't played either of the past 2 treyarch CoD games, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of "batshit insanity" fatigue? I'm wondering if having a 2 year space between the games is allowing me to enjoy it more? About halfway through this game I was thinking about getting Black Ops just because I find the style really enjoyable

Also, I'm a good chunk of the way through on veteran, and it really hasn't been that bad. Grenade spam has only been midly irritating, and not much of an issue. Any point where I'm struggling to get through, it's never been an issue of grenades raining down around me. And like you said, they take control away from you so often, that a good chunk of the game is a breeze

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@MildMolasses: Good to hear they used less grenade spam on veteran this time. I haven't played a COD game on veteran since World at War since lobbing grenades back in that game got too frustrating for my liking. You probably have the right idea only playing every second game though, it definitely wears out your patience playing one of these a year.

I think what makes the game so easy is that the enemies run along their path and are then glued to the ground until you shoot them. The AI is absolutely terrible, Garnett Lee was right when he described the game as "a moving shooting gallery". What they really need to do is increase the length of each "chunk" of the game, create an AI system that will flank and try to overwhelm you and give you some missions where you have to methodically work your way to a position rather than sprinting down hallways or slavishly following the directions of Price. Maybe then they'll win back some of the disenfranchised fans, I know people will say this game is still a sales success but if Guitar Hero is the template it won't last forever.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By w00ties

@Tacoboy1986: I'm feeling exactly the same way as you.

After Black Ops I told myself that I would never purchase another Call of Duty game simply because they've become exhausting. Although I must admit that Spec Ops and Survival look like a ton of fun. I don't play CoD online anymore, but I'm considering purchasing the game just for some couch co-op on Spec Ops and Survival.

After all, I suppose I need a mindless shooter to fill in the gaps between my Skyrim sessions. At the moment I'm torn between Dark Souls and Modern Warfare 3 - though playing Dark Souls and Skyrim at the same time may be pretty heavy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.