I've never heard so many bad words through my headset.

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The Playstation 3 did not come bundled with a headset, in doing so hardly any people have a headset for a PS3. And the people that do have them never use them because nobody else has them, if that makes sense. I've played my fair share of online games, 60 hours in Black Ops, 20 in GTA, 40 in MGO, 20 in U2 and a whole bunch of U3. I've never in all ofd that time met the stereotypical 360 12 year old mouthing off. I've met a few dudes like that but there doing it in good humour and are generally being friendly.

Today however I got in to matches with almost everybody mic'd up and swearing like you wouldn't belive. There was talk of peoples mothers, a lot of sexual talk and raping of 4 year old girls. But then I put a microphone on, a really clear Turtle Beach, and as soon as I started talking I was bombarded with insults because my mic was so good. What was funny was I proceeded to come first in the next few matches, but then they said I was cheating and they were too busy doing stuff to my mother.

Why do bad people have microphones?

#2 Posted by TobbRobb (4823 posts) -

Don't know if that's an option on PS3, but when I played a lot of Halo 3, I just started a private chat regardless of what my friend was doing. That way you don't hear the bad people and can talk to someone with a brain.

#3 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

That sucks. If I hear a guy starting to run his mouth all stupid before the match has even started I just mute them. Problem solved. I really only use a headset if my friend or friends are in the match with me. Otherwise I don't really use it.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I don't want to get all stereotypical, but it seemed like I was hearing an audio version of "Attack of the Block"

#5 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

I've had the same kind of issue with alot of various multiplayer games. As other posters said though, mute them or just don't use the headset. Only time I use mine is to chat with some friends while playing the game.

#6 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

@Hizang: That's racist.

#7 Posted by mlarrabee (3031 posts) -

I nearly always mute everyone before the matches start in any multiplayer game. The anonymity of the internet turns everyone into a filthy idiot...

#8 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

That's why you always mute randoms. No exceptions.

#9 Edited by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@Hizang: Same thing happened to me today on Uncharted 3 multiplayer the server was full of 12 year olds using fowl language.

#10 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (436 posts) -

PC version FTW lol. Got my own mumble server for private chat.

#11 Posted by thebatmobile (983 posts) -

@DjCmeP said:

fowl language.

They were talking birds?

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -

@thebatmobile said:

@DjCmeP said:

fowl language.

They were talking birds?

That I would like to see. Birds are assholes.

#13 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

There is private chat on PS3, isn´t there? I thought they had added this feature, but couldn´t check since my PS3 was broken until a couple of days ago..

Well, on 360 and PC I only ever really talk to people I know. I don´t get offended or anything, but the CoD kiddies and constant immature language (and improper use of such language) are a real pain in the ass after a couple of rounds.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

The worst are the british 12 year olds. They sound ridiculous saying that kinda shit before their voice drops with those accents. No offence, adult english-speakers sound fine to me.

Another nightmare was when I got a bunch of blantantly racist, homophobic rednecks all in one clan on a team. It was just nonstop loud yelling and it was fucking really offensive. That stuff never, ever bothers me, but that time I was literally shaken. As a city boy, I've never heard that much bullshit spewing from someone's mouth. How can anyone function in society talking like that? It's baffling!

#15 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Big franchises attract the scum of the earth. I've gotten used to this fact and I mute people accordingly.

#16 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

PC version FTW lol. Got my own mumble server for private chat.

This guy knows what's up.

#17 Posted by Marcsman (3262 posts) -

Really Hizang? You are no noob or a first timer around the block. I remember hearing that crap in COD4. The last COD I played online.

#18 Posted by parr03 (6 posts) -

I agree that the xbox generally has a lot more immature chitter chatter. Thats the way it use to be, cause the xbox was cheaper. now they are both about equal in price, so the chitter chatter is more wide spread. Thats what the mute option is for though! So, no worries right? You have to admit, every once in a while it sure is fun to join in on some good old fashion slander!

#19 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Welcome to videogames!

#20 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -
#21 Posted by CornBREDX (5844 posts) -

Mute everyone not on your friends list. If PS3 doesnt have this yet then mute people you dont know that are obviously idiots. Problem kind of solved although it sucks you cant make friends in these games but... meh you don't really want to meet those people anyway.

#22 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

Actually there's alot of shit talkers on uncharted 3 for some reason...  dunno why, uncharted 3 seems like such a friendly game :(

#23 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (740 posts) -

I don't want to be the guy to ask this but in the case of children, where are the parents? If I spoke like that in front of my parents at that age, regardless of context I would be punished. Not that I care kids play these games because I did at that age too, but, why give them a headset?

#24 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

@Tacoboy1986 said:

That sucks. If I hear a guy starting to run his mouth all stupid before the match has even started I just mute them. Problem solved. I really only use a headset if my friend or friends are in the match with me. Otherwise I don't really use it.

#25 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1420 posts) -

@thebatmobile said:

@DjCmeP said:

fowl language.

They were talking birds?

I laughed outloud.

Also to original poster, only way to solve this is muting.

#26 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

It's the Call of Duty experience.

#27 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@thebatmobile: Yes.

#28 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

People actually take online smack talk seriously? You guys get so offended by the slightest things.

#29 Posted by lord_canti (1519 posts) -

i see you've found my mate dave

#30 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Yeah, I just started playing the multiplayer and found a teenage guy harassing a younger-sounding guy. Kinda depressing.

#31 Posted by President_Barackbar (3472 posts) -

Am I supposed to be surprised or something?

#32 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

I do what Mega64 do, either smack talk back or pretend to be some sort of catholic video game playin kid telling them to tone down the sinful language in front of my bible group.

#33 Posted by Andorski (5354 posts) -

Whatever queer.

#34 Posted by SSully (4278 posts) -

The mute button does wonders. I never muted as many people as when I used to play call of duty.

#35 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

It happens in most games. When you start a game listen for a few seconds and if people are cursing, mute them.

#36 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Isnt it common knowledge now that you dont have a mic on when playing COD for those exact reasons? 
I hated how everyone was just insulting eachother all the time, or playing music, or having conversations with their friends sitting next to them, or arguing with their mums.  

The COD community was terrible and its one of the reasons i lost my love for FPS.

#37 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

I always hear bad voices in my head. Videogames or no.

#38 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Yep.

#39 Posted by bybeach (4979 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

The worst are the british 12 year olds. They sound ridiculous saying that kinda shit before their voice drops with those accents. No offence, adult english-speakers sound fine to me.

I just now tried to imagine this, and burst out laughing!

As for the 'rednecks', life is narrow or smaller town for a whole lot of players and a game like this can become a huge playground for them. I'm sure a whole lot of decent ppl. arn't like this.

#40 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

lol you're playing on a console, call of duty no less. what did you expect?

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

@bybeach said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I just now tried to imagine this, and burst out laughing!

As for the 'rednecks', life is narrow or smaller town for a whole lot of players and a game like this can become a huge playground for them. I'm sure a whole lot of decent ppl. arn't like this.

Well yeah I know a lot of fine southern people that would be described as rednecks by the more uppity Canadians I live among. I have family down there, so I know that the stereotypes don't apply to all, but when I heard those people I mean rednecks like... REAAAL rednecks. Full-on hill people from Deliverance. Dunno how they got internet in the woods, but hey.

#42 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

It really sucks in a team based game (if that is what you would call CoD multiplayer) having to mute your entire team because they are a bunch of moronic, mouth breathing, children. But then they were probably never going to play as a team anyway. It sucks for the state of multiplayer though if you have to constantly mute your entire team because of those kinds of people. You could blame inclusion of mics into all consoles (at least with the 360 anyway), that style of multiplayer, or the growth of gaming in the main stream, but it is probably gonna be here to stay.

#43 Posted by JackSukeru (5950 posts) -

During the very few times that I've actually gone online with a game and stumbled onto someone with a mic I've never actually been able to hear what anyone was saying. I'm not sure if it was just them having bad mics, or either of us having a lousy connection or both.

I'm perfectly ok with this, by the way.

#44 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Yeah, the Call of Duty. It's a young man's game.

#45 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Hizang: I have a headset for ps3 but i usually dont care to put it on due to the same point you said. no one has one or no one has it on. I have never met someone on any of my ps3 games online swearing or being retarded like I have had when on my friends xbox.. We used to jump onto halo when i would come over and immediately get a bunch of rapping, swearing, screaming, or just some 10year old kid constantly breathing loud or talking incoherently and would refuse to stop. Bf3 so far has had no one but french people talk to me though. Still dont know why its only french.

#46 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

BAD APPLES!

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hizang said:

The Playstation 3 did not come bundled with a headset, in doing so hardly any people have a headset for a PS3. And the people that do have them never use them because nobody else has them, if that makes sense. I've played my fair share of online games, 60 hours in Black Ops, 20 in GTA, 40 in MGO, 20 in U2 and a whole bunch of U3. I've never in all ofd that time met the stereotypical 360 12 year old mouthing off. I've met a few dudes like that but there doing it in good humour and are generally being friendly.

Today however I got in to matches with almost everybody mic'd up and swearing like you wouldn't belive. There was talk of peoples mothers, a lot of sexual talk and raping of 4 year old girls. But then I put a microphone on, a really clear Turtle Beach, and as soon as I started talking I was bombarded with insults because my mic was so good. What was funny was I proceeded to come first in the next few matches, but then they said I was cheating and they were too busy doing stuff to my mother.

Why do bad people have microphones?

Its COD. Its normal. 
#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@thebatmobile said:

@DjCmeP said:

fowl language.

They were talking birds?

That I would like to see. Birds are assholes.

Birds ARE assholes.

#49 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

I learned to mute everyone in the lobby before a game started. I also learned some people take offense to being muted.

#50 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@Hizang:

Profile -> Chat settings -> Friends only. And you're done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.