Modern Warfare 3 "No Russian" Like Scene

• 87 results
#1 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

The video, which was removed from many websites, has been flooding the web. I was able to find another YouTube link and have even downloaded the video if that's removed. Shows a little girl getting blown up from a car bomb.

Now I'm not coming in to say ban the game or shame on them for making it. My only thoughts/concerns are, does actions and scene such as this desensitize us from the real life attacks that happen?

#2 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

That was fucking disturbing. Much more so than the airport filled with a bunch of clones wearing 5 types of clothing.

#3 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

This scene is very disturbing, but the "No Russian" level in MW2 was worse. There's a difference between watching a cutscene where innocents die and making the decision to kill them by pulling the trigger.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I personally don't find stuff like this offensive or anything like that, but it reeks of trying too hard.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

that's terrible

#6 Posted by DeeGee (2119 posts) -

Virtual people getting killed. It's no more disturbing then the no Russian scene, or any mission from the game, or any mission from any shooting game, or any game that involves killing people.

I think you'd need to be pretty messed up in the head to be desensitized from actual attacks or violence from this or any game. Most people understand the difference between a game and real life.

#7 Edited by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Virtual people getting killed. It's no more disturbing then the no Russian scene, or any mission from the game, or any mission from any shooting game, or any game that involves killing people.

I think you'd need to be pretty messed up in the head to be desensitized from actual attacks or violence from this or any game. Most people understand the difference between a game and real life.

I've still never understood the controversy of No Russian. This is a video game. I don't feel bad or get offended at the hundreds of people I kill during a shooter, having one little kid (or 100 civilians) die in some kind of attempt at an emotional/controversy grab just makes me laugh and comes off as really cheesy.

#8 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Speaking of No Russian, there is actually a No Russian flashback in MW3. And a nuke flashback. Yep, this game goes all out.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2534 posts) -

Awesome, I wish I was the driver of the truck and pushed the button. Just kidding!!

It is slightly disturbing but really, movies and books can kill innocents and children if they want, so why shouldn't video games be able to.

#10 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

I don't feel bad or get offended at the hundreds of people I kill during a shooter, having one little kid (or 100 civilians) die in some kind of attempt at an emotional/controversy grab just makes me laugh.

Exactly, that whole scene looks like its trying too hard.

Seems like a mixture of being lame and laughably bad.

#11 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
I personally don't find stuff like this offensive or anything like that, but it reeks of trying too hard.
Kinda. I admired Infinity Ward a bit for No Russian and Shock and Awe, but this kinda looks like it.
#12 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

I think it's simply a desperate cry for attention. I doubt the scene offers any other impact other than a little girl getting blown to bits. This family most probably isn't built up as a group of characters, but just something you see for the first time when that scene kicks in and soon forget about it. Nothing but a sensationalist scene to get on TV for some free publicity.

#13 Edited by ds8k (412 posts) -

That poorly modeled virtual girl was blown up by that virtual explosion. OUTRAGE.

#14 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@Wes899: @DeeGee: You're missing my point, the method used to depict the act does not make it less offensive. Or does it? That's like saying something bad but then putting lol or smiley face at the end. What if you were involved or knew of someone who was killed in a scene like that. Can you honestly say it wouldn't have an affect on them/you?

#15 Posted by Jocund (124 posts) -

Yeah I guess that's messed up, but I find it hard to take it seriously. To what purpose does a scene like that serve? Maybe I'm missing some context, but from here it just feels like some dumb grab for headlines. It's like the devs feel some sort of obligation to have one "controversial" scene every damn game.

#16 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

It's already been said but the no russian scene was so impactful because of the interactive element. No doubt there will be outrage over this though because as soon as kids die / are harmed in any game certain groups go ape-shit.

#17 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

@PhilESkyline: I can't speak for this hypothetical person but no, not to me. It's a video game.

#18 Posted by AssInAss (2598 posts) -

I actually laughed, this little girl being all cutesy going up to an ice cream truck. Why else would there be a focus on a family in a Modern Warfare level, other than to kill them off in a shocking way.

Trying too hard, "No Russian" was more effective because you were actually playing it.

#19 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Sure it might be taking it a bit too far, but shit like this does happen in real life. So, I don't mind it.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

@PhilESkyline: Having a kid actually blow up =/ Virtual kid blowing up.

#21 Edited by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

Again, My concern is that scenes like this help us not bat an eye at the real thing. While many will claim "it's only a game" or "they do that in movies too" doesn't make it at acceptable. Others will joke and say "I don't play the single player so I don't care."

What's next? Virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested? Is that also acceptable?

#22 Edited by zaglis (909 posts) -
@Jocund said:

Yeah I guess that's messed up, but I find it hard to take it seriously. To what purpose does a scene like that serve? Maybe I'm missing some context, but from here it just feels like some dumb grab for headlines. It's like the devs feel some sort of obligation to have one "controversial" scene every damn game.

And this is a bad thing why exactly?

I appreciate that game developers are finally not afraid to pull something like this off.
#23 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Meh... just another one of Infinity Ward's pathetic attempts to cover their shitty writing with shock value and stir up controversy.

I just hate it when writers kill off random people, especially children, in any story whether it's a game/movie/book/comic...etc just to entice shock value. I'm not saying that children shouldn't be killed in a work of fiction. That's ludicrous. It just comes off as complete ineptitude from part of the writer to get the player involved in any meaningful way.

#24 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

The context is that the truck you see behind those birds that the girl chases after is filled with chemical agent. You spend the mission before this scene stopping one of these trucks. Then, this shows up and goes "YOU THOUGHT THERE WAS ONLY ONE TRUCK LAWL WATCH THIS"

#25 Posted by DeeGee (2119 posts) -

@PhilESkyline said:

@Wes899: @DeeGee: You're missing my point, the method used to depict the act does not make it less offensive. Or does it? That's like saying something bad but then putting lol or smiley face at the end. What if you were involved or knew of someone who was killed in a scene like that. Can you honestly say it wouldn't have an affect on them/you?

What if I knew someone who was killed in a bombing? I sure as hell wouldn't be playing a game about war and killing a bunch of people. This is like saying they should remove the ability to run people over in GTA because it might upset people who know someone who died from a hit and run. Heck, let's just remove shooting from the game because it might offend people who know someone who was shot.

#26 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Its probably just something to make you dislike the "badguys" even more. I personally think its not very effective.

#27 Posted by mano521 (1222 posts) -

at this point the only disturbing thing is that they are clearly just trying to be disturbing.

on another note, i heard gaz/ghosts voice though. pretty happy bout that

#28 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

The game gives you another Disturbing Content Warning when you first put it in. It asks you (twice, to confirm) if you don't want to see this scene. That's considerate enough so I don't see what there is to complain about.

#29 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

I might be a heartless basted but I never found any of the Call of Duty "controversial" scenes all that impactful. They are just trying to hard, the first one was cool and unique but after that it just felt as emotional a a Michael Bay movie.

#30 Posted by codynewill (166 posts) -

That was much more gruesome than "No Russian". I just replayed MW2 and though it is haunting, it has nothing on children being killed.

#31 Edited by Jocund (124 posts) -

@zaglis: I just feel like they'll keep displacing quality writing/pacing/story with scenes that seem like they're there to grab headlines and make people feel bad about themselves. Don't get me wrong, I thought Shock and Awe was an amazing moment when first I played it, and No Russian was interesting, but at this point the "One controversial scene to make people scream" thing is in danger of feeling mechanical.

That's how I feel anyway.

#32 Posted by Village_Guy (2534 posts) -

@PhilESkyline said:

Again, My concern is that scenes like this help us not bat an eye at the real thing. While many will claim "it's only a game" or "they do that in movies too" doesn't make it at acceptable. Others will joke and say "I don't play the single player so I don't care."

What's next? Virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested? Is that also acceptable?

You ever heard of a little game called RapeLay? You know a game where you stalk and then rape a mother and her two daughters.

#33 Posted by Mmmslash (2167 posts) -

I'm not saying video games (or media in general) desensitize you entirely, but I can say that when I saw my first mangled body on the job, it didn't really phase me.

Whether gibbing thousands and thousands of polygonal figures over the years contributed to that or not, you'd need someone with more letters after their name than me.

#34 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

How original.

#35 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Pretty weak looking explosion. Also, who didn't see that coming after WHERE ARE THE TRUCKS, CORR DAMNIT and then seeing that truck.

But anyway, rev up those headlines folks, IW need to start some controversy again for marketing.

#36 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

A few honest questions that come to mind after reading the responses.

Why haven't game companies added virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested in games shipped to the US or UK? Is that also acceptable?

How long can the term "it's only a game" be acceptable when depicting real life actions and scenes?

#37 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@PhilESkyline said:

You ever heard of a little game called RapeLay? You know a game where you stalk and then rape a mother and her two daughters.

Honestly, with your avatar. I'm totally not surprised you know the ins and outs of RapeLay.

#38 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@Village_Guy: I'm talking about games sold in America that you can purchase at a GameStop or Amazon. Everyone in gaming knows Japan has some twisted mindsets when it comes to females.

#39 Posted by Aegon (5470 posts) -

That dialogue was all generic...ALL GENERIC. 

#40 Posted by havelava (175 posts) -

@PhilESkyline said:

@Village_Guy: I'm talking about games sold in America that you can purchase at a GameStop or Amazon. Everyone in gaming knows Japan has some twisted mindsets when it comes to females.

I mean, if you're talking about a Gamestop or Amazon, then, not any time soon. I'm sure you know how the rating system works, and, as long as the AO rating has the stigma attached to it that it does. You'll never see those games at any mainstream retailer.

#41 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

You're merely a viewer here, so I don't think it's on par. It's cold, but it's simply a cinematic trying to show the player the gravity of a situation. I don't have a problem with this, it doesn't seem gratuitous to me.

#42 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

It's not even that bad.  The bad guys do something bad so you like them less.  It's pretty standard stuff.

No Russian was bad because you had to play it and it went on for an uncomfortable amount of time.

#43 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@havelava said:

@PhilESkyline said:

I mean, if you're talking about a Gamestop or Amazon, then, not any time soon. I'm sure you know how the rating system works, and, as long as the AO rating has the stigma attached to it that it does. You'll never see those games at any mainstream retailer.

But it's virtual and only a game, why not?

#44 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Hard to be disturbed by that when the writing is so terrible

#45 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@PhilESkyline said:

Why haven't game companies added virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested in games shipped to the US or UK? Is that also acceptable?

How long can the term "it's only a game" be acceptable when depicting real life actions and scenes?

Because everyone knows that sex is way worse than violence. You know logic. Running over, shooting, beating to death hundreds and hundreds of civilians is ok, but having sex with your girlfriend is bad. Also SeXbox.

#46 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

ya-fucking-wn

#47 Edited by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Someone please explain to me how this scene is disturbing?  Ya they blew up a little girl and her mom that part I get. Are people forgeting that this is a game and not real life. If this had been a vid of a real mom and her daughter getting blown up then yes that would be disturbing and awful and sad. People they are trying to tell a story its entertainment. Its not real. Also the vid is not gory or anything all you see is the explosion. As to PhilESkylines question of  "How long can the term "it's only a game" be acceptable when depicting real life actions and scenes?" This question is pointless. Have we all forgotten about movies or TV? ya know the things on the talkin picture box.  Movies and TV depict real life actions and scenes WITH REAL PEOPLE!!! OMG NO!!! I just dont see what the big deal is.
#48 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5253 posts) -

Well their plan is working so far.

#49 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

"the containment raidus"  They fired the IW guy who knew how to spell check.

Contamination.  I can't spell either!

#50 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@PhilESkyline said:

Because everyone knows that sex is way worse than violence. You know logic. Running over, shooting, beating to death hundreds and hundreds of civilians is ok, but having sex with your girlfriend is bad. Also SeXbox.

It's only a video game so it's okay right? Video game = not real so the feelings aren't real. Or is my math wrong?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.