Modern Warfare 3 Subscription? That's Right.

• 143 results
#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Call of Duty Elite 

Big article : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories 

Also:
http://nightmaremode.net/?p=4662 

Yes. It’s happening, folks. Today Activision revealed to the Wall Street Journal that Modern Warfare 3 will launch with a subscription service this fall. Called ‘Call of Duty Elite’, the service aims to provide extra content and services not available in the game proper–such as map packs, tools to analyze personal performance and more. Though a price point has not been concretely set, they’re thinking it won’t cost more than services such as Netflix which can charge about 7.99 a month. It also sounds as if the content and services the subscription will provide have also not been set in stone just yet.
On the subject, Bobby Kotick says he is not worried about backlash from gamers because  everyone “will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service.”

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/30/call-of-duty-elite/http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/30/call-of-duty-elite/ 

Hours ahead of the agreed-upon embargo for the news, the Wall Street Journal is the first to report on Call of Duty Elite, the long-reported "digital platform" in development at Activision's new Beachhead studio. Designed to complement this fall's Modern Warfare 3, Elite will be a paid service though "portions of the service will be free" including a Facebook-inspired Groups feature.

Other features of the service include the Bungie Pro-like ability to display stats to analyze player performance, "gauging factors such as which weapons have been most successful for them in killing enemies." If you're worried that you'll suddenly have to pay for online multiplayer in Call of Duty titles, don't be. The Journal reports that "players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service."

Activision hasn't yet pinned down a price point, though it does expect the cost to be less than comparable "online-entertainment services" like the $8/month Netflix. Part of that fee will go towards a "customer-service operation that will be needed to support it." It will also include the year's map packs, which cost $15 each, taking some of the sting out of any annual charge.

TL;DR - A subscription for exclusive extra content (map packs, stats [lol] and more) and a social digital platform shindig. For less than 8$ 

That's fucking hilarious. Discuss !  
The only thing that concerns me about this is that it's gonna be successful, which will cause EA to do the same, and i'm gonna have to subscribe to Battlefield 4 in order to fully enjoy it... 

Edit: Why the hell am i the top poster for this game? Where are the hyped up MW3 fans who should be up there? DETHRONE me damn you! ;p
#2 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Michael Bay.

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -

Call of Duty Elite was known about ages ago. Not surprised they are going subscription.

#4 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

multiplayer is still free this is just like bungie pro where you het a bigger stoarge for uploads and other extras 

joystiq reports that it does cover map packs though- http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/30/call-of-duty-elite/http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/30/call-of-duty-elite/

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -
Bobby Kotick you son of a bitch.
#6 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

I will not be paying for this.

#7 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

In other news, sales of Modern warfare 3 have dropped 57 percent

#8 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Activision can take this subscription and stick it in their ass.  Fucking assholes.

I will pre-order BF3 just to support the competitor tough I am not pleased with the "Back to Karkand" shit either.

#9 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

it's not so bad. at least it's not mandatory.  

in other news, Michael Bay 

#10 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I was going to rent this in the first place, so I don't give a fuck.

#11 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Well here we go. I'm not so concerned about if it fair or not. I just hope it doesn't set the bar like they did for map packs. Remember 800msp/10$ map packs activision doesn't.

#12 Edited by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

I CANNOT believe what I just read. 

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game

So Call Of Duty is a hyper-realistic combat-simulation game? XD
#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
I was going to rent this in the first place, so I don't give a fuck.
#14 Posted by igl (89 posts) -

yawn. 

#15 Edited by JJOR64 (18986 posts) -

Not surprising.

#16 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

oh when i read "subscription" i thought it was just talking about access to CoD but its just bonus content so i dont think the popularity of the series will diminish because of this, in fact i believe half the userbase will give into this crap

#17 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

AWWW SHIT.  I can pay for stat-tracking guys!  A service that you can usually get for free with most good FPS games.  Finally.

I'm curious as to whether there will be monthly maps.  If not - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Worst deal ever, in two months you could buy the map pack for less than the subscription and the way IW games have been about DLC in the past (not very often) this is a joke. 

I may buy this game for the single player and spec ops (I would rent if a new rental place would open up around here...) but I don't think I will be doing much multiplayer anyways.

#18 Posted by twentyTWO (39 posts) -

I see this as a good thing.  This will diminish the popularity of an overdone genre.  Hooray.

#19 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

It's not mandatory, so I'm really not concerned.

#20 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

Dude, it's another Call of Duty... so?

#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4841 posts) -

This sounds like something that doesn't matter.

#22 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@twentyTWO said:
I see this as a good thing.  This will diminish the popularity of an overdone genre.  Hooray.
Did you even read the article? The subscription service is for bonus content like maps and stuff. It's not required to play online.
#23 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
It's not mandatory, so I'm really not concerned.
Pretty much this. Have never bought anything other than the base games for CoD anyway, so attempt at moneygrabbing=fail. 

Also, am not really interested for MW3
#24 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

what i think is hilarious is that game journalist had to sign a NDA and they released an exclusive story to the wall street journal. 

#25 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
@twentyTWO said:
Did you even read the article? The subscription service is for bonus content like maps and stuff. It's not required to play online.
Nobody said there won't be any  overpowered subscription-only weapons and perks .
#26 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

*hates on Bungie Pro for no reason*

Oh it's not cool to hate on them anymore? Whoops.

#27 Posted by EuanDewar (4907 posts) -

Although I don't think this is that bad I can't help shake the feeling this is the first step in some crazy multi game subscription idea Activision have cooked up just because "that one Warcraft game done well".

#28 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Too many gamers with the IQ of a peanut are going to actually subscribe which means that Acitivision will deem it to be a success and additionally other companies such as EA might start to introduce their own subscription services (though I doubt it).

#29 Posted by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

Battlefield 3 is looking even cooler right now.

#30 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Well, that is pointless. At least the subscription thing with Halo makes a bit more sense.

#31 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -
A relatively small amount of COD players on the internet: "Man, fuck this shit. I'm never paying for that." 

Other, significantly larger amount of COD players on the internet: "Man, fuck this shit. I'm never paying for that." (Subscribes anyway.)   

Huge amount of COD players that don't care about the politics of it: "Oh shit, I can check my stats with this thing and I get more stuff? Where my credit card!?" 

Point being a ton of people will subscribe, enjoy it and Activision will make a fuck-ton of money from it.
#32 Posted by Lobster_Monster (24 posts) -

I could care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.

What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).

#33 Edited by President_Barackbar (3460 posts) -

I'm wondering, who is this really for? Is it just targeted at the people who don't pay attention to what it does and sign up for it blindly? The features so far don't seem like they are worth any extra money.

#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Lobster_Monster said:
I could care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).
keep bending over, Activision send their rear regards 
#35 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Another reason i'm not supporting Activision. 
#36 Posted by applet0n (653 posts) -

You don't want this sort of thing to continue, then simple, don't buy it.

#37 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -
@Lobster_Monster said:
I could care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).
You could care less implies that you at least care some amount. I assume you mean that you couldn't care less.
#38 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Lobster_Monster said:
He done goofed by saying he could care less.
#39 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19333 posts) -
@Lobster_Monster said:

I couldn't care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).

Agreed. 

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

You seem butthurt. This really isn't a big deal and so what if the competition attempts to imitate them if it's proven successful? As long as everything important such as maps are eventually available to everyone who isn't an "Elite" subscriber, then I really don't see the problem.
#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9694 posts) -

It's not a bad idea from Activision's standpoint.  There are going to be a ton of people who will pay this for the year this game is relevant for the map packs.  I will only be upset if this were a mandatory charge in order to play multiplayer period and, if I read the article correctly, that won't be the case.

#41 Posted by Blair (2505 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
@twentyTWO said:
#42 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

So glad I stopped buying Call of Duty games a year ago.

#43 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@Blair said:
@natetodamax said:
@twentyTWO said:
Did you even read the article? The service is for bonus content. It does not prevent one from playing online. 

In fact, I have the game pre-ordered.
#44 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Lobster_Monster said:

I couldn't care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).

Agreed. 

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

You seem butthurt. This really isn't a big deal and so what if the competition attempts to imitate them if it's proven successful? As long as everything important such as maps are eventually available to everyone who isn't an "Elite" subscriber, then I really don't see the problem.

If the DLC maps are eventually made available to non-subscribers, what would keep most people from dropping their subscriptions at that point and just buying the map packs? They won't release the map packs as paid DLC outside of the subscription service, at least not for the active life of the game. 
#45 Posted by Brendan (7797 posts) -

The reaction seems a little overblown to me.  Sure, most of us hate everything even tangentially related to CoD, but this doesn't seem to actually affect the base game that's coming out.  It's like Playstation Plus, where big fans who want to spend all their free money on CoD can do so if they wish.  I don't see this as a big deal.  

#46 Edited by JeanLuc (3583 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:

In other news, sales of Modern warfare 3 have dropped 57 percent

Why would sales drop? This doesn't mean your losing content or anything. 

I have no interest in this at all but for those that want this then good for them. Granted I can't think of anybody that would want this but I'm sure there must be some people excited.
#47 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19333 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said: 
If the DLC maps are eventually made available to non-subscribers, what would keep most people from dropping their subscriptions at that point and just buying the map packs? They won't release the map packs as paid DLC outside of the subscription service, at least not for the active life of the game. 
The map packs aren't everything being advertised. Like it's titled, the "Elite" subscription will let players manipulate tools to analyze their performance within the game and view other extensive data as well as other extra content. So I disagree, they will offer map packs as paid DLC outside of the subscription.
#48 Posted by Slaker117 (4841 posts) -
@Brendan: At this point people just seem to be looking for any reason to hate CoD/Activision.
#49 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Wrighteous86 said: 
The map packs aren't everything being advertised. Like it's titled, the "Elite" subscription will let players manipulate tools to analyze their performance within the game and view other extensive data as well as other extra content. So I disagree, they will offer map packs as paid DLC outside of the subscription.

For $8 a month, you think people will stick around for analysis tools and data? They know the map packs and other DLC is what will bring in subscribers. Let's agree to disagree.
#50 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

everyone here bitching about this subscription fee has to consider, how the hell is Bobby K gonna keep renting out the staples center every year at 775 million a pop, without doing this?

seriously guys, math and sources (yep it's time for E3 again) 

this was sarcasm for those who didn't understand

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.