Modern Warfare 3 Subscription? That's Right.

• 143 results
#101 Posted by nickystixx (180 posts) -

Milk that bitch Activision! Milk it dry!

#102 Posted by Khann (2767 posts) -
@Red12b said:
People will pay for this though, so, yeah, think about that.
I did... and now I am sad :(
#103 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

In tour dreams Activision. All that stat tracking stuff is already IN the game. I don't need to pay for it. Also, the trailer they released for it is abysmal 

#104 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@xobballox said:
AWWW SHIT.  I can pay for stat-tracking guys!  A service that you can usually get for free with most good FPS games.  Finally.

I'm curious as to whether there will be monthly maps.  If not - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Worst deal ever, in two months you could buy the map pack for less than the subscription and the way IW games have been about DLC in the past (not very often) this is a joke. 

I may buy this game for the single player and spec ops (I would rent if a new rental place would open up around here...) but I don't think I will be doing much multiplayer anyways.
Considering that I hate stat tracking, I'm actually overjoyed.

DLC can go suck an egg. First IW bumps the precedent to $15, and then the monthly service is bound to bump this to at least $18 such that Activision doesn't make a huge "loss" over the subscription service.

I'm just going to rent to see what they do with Soap and Price. It's actually tragic how badly that story has been abused.
#105 Edited by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Is anyone really shocked by this? It has been rumored for a while now.

#106 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

So....yeah. Found it on youtube a few mins ago. The 1st time I skimmed though it and thought  "Oh, this video must be fake. It looks terrible." Found another link and wouldn't you know I was wrong. Who the hell approved of this as the means to get people on board to a new subscription service? I still have zero idea what you really get outside of stats that come with the game and the ability to make facebook style pages for clans. Both of which sound pretty crappy.

#107 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@nickystixx said:
Milk that bitch Activision! Milk it dry!
damn straight!
#108 Posted by rmanthorp (3855 posts) -

Yep. Don't care.

#109 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

I had no plans to buy MW3 this cements it.

#110 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

Ummm.... I'll pay for DLC, but dude you make a billion off a videogame in profit why do you need monthly fees?? ....  

Let's just say I'm not going pro...

#111 Posted by Pessh (2453 posts) -

Four games too late, way to run another franchise into the ground, good job Activision.

#112 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

Bungie did this years ago with Halo 3. For free. 

I see zero innovation or incentive for even the most diehard COD fans to go for this. It's a zero value addition. If it is $7 a month and there's a map pack every two months then it's a good deal. If not, this is nothing but a poor money grab. I'm actually a little surprised by how poor this seems - Activision are good at making money, but this seems like it was barely thought out and not likely to pay back dividends. 

#113 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

lol psssh 

I do have one huge complaint about MW3 explaining to everyone that almost all the people at IW left and they must have been replaced to make MW3 cus 6 people is not a lot. I explain this once a day on MW2 if I'm bored enough...

#114 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -

Heard about this, talked to my friends about it. They're trying to convince me to get it. Why the fuck have Activision done this to me.

#115 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

so there charging you to see your kill/death ratio? 

i really hope this doesn't take off... 

#116 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

I think I can join in with the chorus of gamers praising in unison. "Finally. A service that is right for me."

The best game of all time just got even better with the inclusion of an online subscription service that pushes the game into a higher level of existence. Facebook integration, so I can see what all of my friends are doing, stat-tracking to see how I'm doing, and free DLC. I know what you're thinking "This must be crazy expensive". Well I have news for you. The planned price point is cheaper than even that of the likes of Netflix.

Join the Elite this November in: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

#117 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Lobster_Monster said:

I couldn't care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).

Agreed. 

@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

keep bending over, Activision send their rear regards 

You seem butthurt. This really isn't a big deal and so what if the competition attempts to imitate them if it's proven successful? As long as everything important such as maps are eventually available to everyone who isn't an "Elite" subscriber, then I really don't see the problem.
The most successful FPS of all time is going to a subscription model and is charging for basic features which every other retail FPS has offered for a decade or more for free and you 'don't see the problem'?  Aside from maps and weapons which you assume will be made available to everyone (which they haven't said will happen either way but you can be damn sure they won't - Activision already sell map packs while other games rent and sell weapons) the aforementioned issues are already clearly indicative of a problem.  The problem is that Activision are cocks and their audience are cunts.  Rape is the order of the day.
#118 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

This is coming up on CNN in like 2 minutes.

#119 Edited by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

Since I'm not that deep into the online parts of these games are players that into stat tracking and such?   I mean, I understand wanting to get new levels and new gear, but knowing what your kill-death ratio is with a specific weapon on a particular map seems kind of unnecessary to me in this type of game.  It's not like having to make sure your DPS is high enough to take down a boss in Warcraft since there isn't a huge amount of HP you need to take down in a limited number of turns.  As far as I know, everyone has the same basic amount of HP.  I don't know, maybe the would-be professional gamers will be interested in these details.   

If they put out a map pack every other month it could be worth it since the DLC usually costs $15 anyway; however back when I was into competitive gaming, it seems everyone wound up playing the same 3 maps over and over again even when there were 10 to 15 others to choose from.  

#120 Posted by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

All of the money.

ALL OF IT.

#121 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Halo's had all this shit for free since like 2005 btw.

#122 Posted by Ramone (2956 posts) -

Erm dumb. Unless they are releasing map packs at least once a month then this is worthless

#123 Posted by RedShanks (13 posts) -

Activision really know how to cash in.

#124 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
oh when i read "subscription" i thought it was just talking about access to CoD but its just bonus content so i dont think the popularity of the series will diminish because of this, in fact i believe half the userbase will give into this crap
Given the fact that most of the user base bought the map packs even after the price was raised, I'd say that's a given.

(Also, bought that album cos I kept seeing it around the site (I'm guessing every time you post), and I'm loving it)
#125 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

You have to pay them 10 bucks a month so you can buy their 15 dollar map packs. Luckily I have no interest in playing this game at all.

#126 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Even those of us who can afford this without a second thought should pass on it, because it sets a shitty precedent.

#127 Posted by dagas (2744 posts) -
@MideonNViscera said:
Even those of us who can afford this without a second thought should pass on it, because it sets a shitty precedent.
Truer words have never been spoken. I don't even play CoD, but I hope this doesn't catch on.
#128 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@TwilitEnd656 said:
At first I was like "the BALLS they have," but then I read through and was all "oh, it's just a bonus service like Bungie Pro. Whatevs, then."   

I don't think you know what Bungie Pro consists of.
#129 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Dylabaloo: To be fair, it's a very niche service. I wouldn't expect most people to know or care.
#130 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@Slaker117: Agreed that its very niche but he shouldn't be comparing it to the very different service of Call of duty: Elite if he has no idea what it is.
#131 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

It begins......

#132 Posted by Tebbit (4448 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
In other news, sales of Modern warfare 3 have dropped 57 percent
...to a meagre 10 million copies.
#133 Edited by Twisted_Scot (1174 posts) -

Like PSN its a free service that you can pay money for a few extra things that don't really (at this moment) effect the game. Wish people would stop whining when people offer other options that you are not required to use or buy. Fuck its not that I like Activision or EA but last time I checked they were still companies, not charities. Of course they are in it to make money if possible. FUCK HBO, why are cable companies making me pay more when I can get something free on PBS ? If you really want extra space on for your screen shots, some free android phone app, new player camo and hats or whatever other pointless bullshit the subscription will be for you can buy it, if you dont give a shit about that stuff then you get a FREE updated service with stat tracking  clans and other shit you didn't have before. Use it or don't just stop clogging up forums with the same old "Activision and COD sucks bullshit". We get it your the Che Guevara of the gaming industry, go hack the PSN or something just change the record.

#134 Edited by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

Why are people freaking out? They've been talking about this coming for months (over a year now, I believe). If you don't want to subscribe, you don't have to and you're not missing out on anything you've gotten in the past. This is for extra stuff that you haven't had before in a CoD game. You don't need it to play multiplayer and if you don't subscribe, then your experience with Modern Warfare 3 will be largely the same as with Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. What's the big deal? 

Besides, if you play a lot of video games, this isn't for you. This is for the people who really only play CoD games and buy every map-pack, etc.  

Also:  

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

TL;DR - A subscription for exclusive extra content (map packs, stats [lol] and more) and a social digital platform shindig. For about 8-10$  

From the WSJ article:  

"Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription."   

They specifically say it will be less than $8, but according to you it will be $8-10? What? 

@Jonny7892 said: 

Erm dumb. Unless they are releasing map packs at least once a month then this is worthless

What? 

Map packs = $15 
Subscription = "less than 7.99" 

If they release a map pack every 2 months, the subscription pays for itself.
#135 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@JokerSmilez:  Oh, it said less. my bad, i'll edit
#136 Edited by Evilmetal (468 posts) -
@RsistncE said:

Too many gamers with the IQ of a peanut are going to actually subscribe which means that Acitivision will deem it to be a success and additionally other companies such as EA might start to introduce their own subscription services (though I doubt it).

In reality couldn't they fudge the actual subscription numbers? offset it as a marketing cost and claim "all of these negative speakers about the service are utter fail because the numbers don't lie, many people subscribed and love the service". Then the regular Joe Shmoe will think "aww crap I guess since everyone else is getting it, I'll get it too" ... it's all perception.
#137 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
I will not be paying for this.
That ^
#138 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@MegaMetaTurtle said:
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
oh when i read "subscription" i thought it was just talking about access to CoD but its just bonus content so i dont think the popularity of the series will diminish because of this, in fact i believe half the userbase will give into this crap
Given the fact that most of the user base bought the map packs even after the price was raised, I'd say that's a given.  (Also, bought that album cos I kept seeing it around the site (I'm guessing every time you post), and I'm loving it)
i cant believe the consumers would give into that crap.  like its 15 bucks for a map pack.  buy 4 of those and you could buy a game.  oh yes its such a great album.  i love listening to it start to finish because the opening track is really energetic and shine is mellow and soothing.  i really like "i cant write left handed"
#139 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

As long as other games have sites that do this for FREE! this is stupid as shit!

#140 Edited by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: You are and forever shall be the top poster of MW3.... Little tip. Walk away from most things MW3 related for a while.

EDIT: I've just recived a message saying that I replied to myself..... Weird
#141 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Lobster_Monster said:
I could care less about stat-tracking, so as long as the free players can still get map packs via the traditional DLC method, I'm cool with this.  What I'm NOT cool with is if the "Elite" players get a competitive advantage (better weapons, perks, aimbots, etc).
keep bending over, Activision send their rear regards 
He done goofed by saying he could care less.
Careless indeed
#142 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

Really milking a half dead cow, eh, Activision?

#143 Posted by Korolev (1694 posts) -

Sounds like the theatre mode from Black Ops, packaged with stat-tracking and heat-map info. If you are  a hard-core COD player, then sure, you might be interested in that package. As for everyone else, why would they care?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.