Most Shocking part of MW3?

#1 Edited by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

SOPILER SPOILERS SPOULER

I dont think it was as violent as previous game with the no russian level. But i thought the ending was pretty badass violent with makarov hanging.

what about you guys?

how do u edit the title?

#2 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -
#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Someone put this guy out of his misery

#4 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

You can only edit the title if it's a blog. Anyways, I was sad when SPOILERS!!!! Soap died. In that mission, I saw it coming but I didn't want it to happen. Fuck you IW for killing Soap! End SPOILERS!!!

Fuck this thread, put the fucking spoiler in a goddamn spoiler tag, jesus christ.

#5 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

Soiler disclaimer:

!!!THis whole thread is spoilers and seriously if u havent played the game and you still come to this forum its your own fault.!!!

why did this game have the warning in the beginning what was so graphic the ending or the family getting blown up?

#6 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I personally don't really care about the story in CoD, but you should really use spoiler tags for those who do.

#7 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

honestly if someone hasnt played the game and comes on to this part of the forum they are the biggest iddiot in the world. BUT i would change the title if i could.

#8 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I came in here with high expectation and you delivered congrats.

#9 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@AnimalFather said:

honestly if someone hasnt played the game and comes on to this part of the forum they are the biggest iddiot in the world. BUT i would change the title if i could.

While it's true that if you really care about not reading any spoilers you should be smart enough to not check this thread out you should always put "spoilers" in the title. It's like if you come round to my house and I open the door drunk & naked except for a fetching beige beret. You should know better but its common courtesy for me to warn you before you ring the doorbell.
#10 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
#11 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

The ending ROCKED def High point in the game.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#13 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

What they killed the bad guy at the end?! There is just no point of playing this game anymore...

#14 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I just reached the point for "One Way Ticket" which was clearly supposed to be a tear jerker, but it's telegraphed so horribly that when it came, I started laughing hysterically. I had to pause the game until I recomposed myself. I'm enjoying the game, but it's clearly a trudging demonstration of the 360 platform winding down. They're done what they can with this system while still maintaining 60fps and now it just looks . . . aged. Perhaps it's because I've been playing BF3 on PC the last couple weeks, but the age of the console is showing itself more than ever. Therefore, the most "shocking" part for me was the beginning when you're playing in the city and the textures and everything just look so dated. Not really the game's fault (and they probably could have done a lot more if they wanted to have only half the frame rate), but damn it looked . . . tired.

#15 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@amomjc said:

Fuck this thread, put the fucking spoiler in a goddamn spoiler tag, jesus christ.

1. I wrote 'SPOILER' for a reason so why would you read it?

2. OP's first 3 words are SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.

3. I was on my iPod so it was impossible.

4. Stop looking at threads about the game, there's obviously going to be spoilers.

5. You now know to follow my 4th statement.

#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The retconing of the entire franchise during Yuri's flashback is so egregious that it shocked me how they could spend millions on the project but not bother paying someone to write a basic story.

#17 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

The horrible grey textures and bland gameplay are both pretty shocking.

#18 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Don't want to buy the same game in a different year, but still want to know what happened after playing COD4 and MW2, was this the shocking thing that Jeff was talking about?

#19 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

The retconing of the entire franchise during Yuri's flashback is so egregious that it shocked me how they could spend millions on the project but not bother paying someone to write a basic story.

I was going to write getting kicked off of the fucking helicopter. But yeah, going to have to go with this. Been bothering me since I finished the story.

#20 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
What exactly did they change? I didn't notice any major difference
#21 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

I was going to write getting kicked off of the fucking helicopter.

When was that?

@Jack268 said:

@HandsomeDead said:
What exactly did they change? I didn't notice any major difference

I didn't either, but I shot a few bullets when I was playing Yuri during that scene, something that would probably not be heard in MW2.

#22 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Ah yeah that's right, I actually thought about that too while playing. I just wrote it off because I obviously wasn't keeping track of where Makarov went in MW2, but yeah, I think they just write the story as it comes to them, without planning ahead. It's an entirely new writer too.
#23 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: When you jumped on Makarov's helicopter, I wasn't expecting a QTE, so I got kicked off.

As far as the retcon is concerned. The whole reasoning the war started was that they found an American at the airport. If Yuri survived that, he could've informed authorities that he was part of the group that was going to carry out the attacks. And that Makarov was behind the attack, not the US.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

@FluxWaveZ: When you jumped on Makarov's helicopter, I wasn't expecting a QTE, so I got kicked off.

Ah, heh. I didn't fail that part on my first try, but I got shot in the face because of the 2nd part.

@RecSpec said:

As far as the retcon is concerned. The whole reasoning the war started was that they found an American at the airport. If Yuri survived that, he could've informed authorities that he was part of the group that was going to carry out the attacks. And that Makarov was behind the attack, not the US.

I'm not sure it's that simple, though. Why would the Russian government believe Yuri? Plus, the U.S. could have probably provided actual proof that Makarov was the one who shot up the airport.

#25 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Like RecSpec said, his involvement in the airport massacre changes the events; they now have a smoking gun of the events who could inform them of what was going on but more importantly, they say Makarov is the guy who launched the nuke in the desert in Modern Warfare which totally nixes Shephard's reasoning for setting up the airport massacre in the first place. The twist is also pointlessly contrived and really boring too, especially following Soap's death, and makes Yuri just seem more like a device than a character, especially when it seems that he's OK with stealing nuclear weaponry and killing a battalion of soldiers but isn't willing to go along with the airport attack, even though he must know the thing is already a set up to forward his cause.

#26 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

the fact that i paid $60 for a DLC.

#27 Posted by RedneckedCrake (311 posts) -

Getting kicked off the helicopter at the end. Then, once I managed to deck that fucker in the face and throw him out, getting shot by the dude in the passenger seat.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

You can only edit the title if it's a blog. Anyways, I was sad when SPOILERS!!!!

Soap died. In that mission, I saw it coming but I didn't want it to happen. Fuck you IW for killing Soap!

End SPOILERS!!!

"Soap" is a stupid name anyway.

#29 Posted by benpicko (1997 posts) -
@amomjc

@awesomeusername said:

You can only edit the title if it's a blog. Anyways, I was sad when SPOILERS!!!! Soap died. In that mission, I saw it coming but I didn't want it to happen. Fuck you IW for killing Soap! End SPOILERS!!!

The funny thing about that is that he has since put them in spoiler tags, so it was you who spoiled it. And now me. Damn.
#30 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Somebody ban this guy already. Ruined the Modern Warfare Trilogy for me. On purpose. I just assumed he would get shot. Son of a Motherlover!

#31 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

A bit late to the party here, but for those saying that the so-called "retcon" in Yuri's flashback was bad, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

The thing that most people didn't notice, was that the Russians knew Makarov was part of the attack on the airport, but with the body of an CIA agent left behind (and the fact that USA and Russia had been in a Cold War-like state for the past 5 years) made them believe that it was because the CIA (or TF141) had contacted Makarov and hired and supplied him to carry out the massacre.

So they always knew Makarov was part of it and so they also wanted him dead, which is why Makarov needed the Russian president to fulfill his plans.

#32 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

The most shocking part was the fact that Soap survived getting shot multiple times, giant ass explosions, jumping out the window of a 2 story building to tackle a guy onto a car, getting punched in the face and getting a giant ass knife through his chest yet he dies after jumping out of an exploding bell tower and experiencing a rough fall

#33 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (630 posts) -

The badass ending. There was only 4 scenes in the entire game that's worth playing.

#34 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

The most shocking part was seeing the street signs in the Berlin level, showing a 60 km/h speed limit.

Pretty sure it's actually 50 in downtown Berlin.

#35 Edited by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

@Yanngc33 said:

The most shocking part was the fact that Soap survived getting shot multiple times, giant ass explosions, jumping out the window of a 2 story building to tackle a guy onto a car, getting punched in the face and getting a giant ass knife through his chest yet he dies after jumping out of an exploding bell tower and experiencing a rough fall

I think the most shocking part is that they actually tried to create tension with Price carrying him around. Like you said, this is the third time he's been seriously wounded, kind of old hat by now.

#36 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

@Yanngc33 said:

I think the most shocking part is that they actually tried to create tension with Price carrying him around. Like you said, this is the third time he's been seriously wounded, kind of old hat by now.

Third time's the charm I guess

#37 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

@Yanngc33: For the Russians, yes.

#38 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

Like RecSpec said, his involvement in the airport massacre changes the events; they now have a smoking gun of the events who could inform them of what was going on but more importantly, they say Makarov is the guy who launched the nuke in the desert in Modern Warfare which totally nixes Shephard's reasoning for setting up the airport massacre in the first place. The twist is also pointlessly contrived and really boring too, especially following Soap's death, and makes Yuri just seem more like a device than a character, especially when it seems that he's OK with stealing nuclear weaponry and killing a battalion of soldiers but isn't willing to go along with the airport attack, even though he must know the thing is already a set up to forward his cause.

I'm sure the Americans had all the evidence that was needed to implicate Makarov in the attacks but that wouldn't have matter; Makarov managed to get most of Russia all riled up into a nationalist fervour so war was inevitable. Regardless of what evidence was given, the Russians would have hit the US in MW2.

Additionally, we don't even know if Sheppard knew that Makarov was behind the nuke going off in MW1. Sheppard if anything seemed like a misguided character and this only goes to show that he was simply a pawn in Makarovs game.

Yuri clearly wasn't OK with the use of the nuclear device, and we can't assume that he even knew about it. It's clear that Makarov would play stuff pretty close to his chest, so from what's presented I would say it's a fair assumption to say that Yuri had no idea that a nuke was going to be involved. In fact they make it pretty clear that it was when the nuke was used that Yuri totally turned on Makarov, but Makarov only found out about his deception just prior to the airport attacks.

Yes Modern Warfare isn't a masterpiece in story telling or writing, but I don't think there were any major holes in the story and I think all three games served up some pretty incredible single player campaigns.

#39 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
#40 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@Knave said:

the fact that i paid $60 for a DLC.

lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.