Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

No dedicated servers on PC, thank god.

• 73 results
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By wefwefasdf

Don't planning on purchasing it anyway. But! I feel like dedicated servers are one of the things that PC gamers deserve for putting up with all the nonsense they have to deal with sometimes.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SomeJerk

I think this is good because this will help bring upon the death of it just a pinch faster.

I was kicked from a Black Ops server for camping. What I was doing was I was moving about with at cool Jungle looking shotgun, was about to get out and start running from a hidey hole when two guys ran in, I killed them, got back in to reload, tried to run out again, another guy came, went to reload, and then another two came in and died. One of which was the server admin.

MW3 is already dead.

BF3 über alles.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Why can't they have dedicated server support and matchmaking? Is there a good reason why it needs to be one or the other?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SlasherMan
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

Why can't they have dedicated server support and matchmaking? Is there a good reason why it needs to be one or the other?

Nope. Those two aren't mutually exclusive. It has been done before, too, but I guess most developers don't want to put in a bit of extra effort.
    The L4D games are a great example.
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @SlasherMan said:

Come on now, what's PC gaming without options?
    A crappy port. 

Sorry to reply seriously .
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Crocio

Great! I hate both thinking and gameplay options.

But seriously, there are so many better games with customization options that this is just shooting itself in the foot.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ShockD
    @Solidfox said:
    I know how to fix this... Counter Strike!
    I concur.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

Apparently MW3 on PC will not have dedicated servers Which in my mind is absolutely fantastic. Call of Duty is a game where people feel the need to bitch about everything. So when you give people control over the server rules, they proceed to make everything incredibly lame.

"Umm excuse me, this is a crouch only server. I'll kick you if you stand up again!" (Seriously, people try and balance the game on PC by making everyone do nothing but crouch walk, there are dozens of servers like this.) or you find a server where they ban noobtubes, or last stand, or the Famas, or Ghost, or something equally stupid. Add to that, hundreds of 24/7 Nuketown servers and Admins that will kick you for getting a better score then them and it makes it all a seriously pissy experience.

Dedicated servers are meant for slower games, Battlefield needs them because when your going to be playing the same round for half an hour or so. You want to have a consistent experience. But in COD, the round will last maybe 10 minutes at most. Having a matchmaking system works for that length of game because if the host changes and theres more lag, you'll only have to deal with it for a fraction of the time. It also makes jumping in and out of a game so much easier, just hit a button and play, rather than spend time finding a low ping server and then hoping it doesn't crash.

Dedicated servers are great in alot of games, but not Call of Duty. (At least not the Call of Duty we know today.)

LOL Mike. Really. COD4's dedicated servers and mod support made MW2's better MP elements and MAPS possible. But hey, who gives a rats anyway. Modern Borefare is dead.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Jayross

Battlefield on the PS3 and 360 use dedicated servers, we just don't have any control over them.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By mikemcn

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

Apparently MW3 on PC will not have dedicated servers Which in my mind is absolutely fantastic. Call of Duty is a game where people feel the need to bitch about everything. So when you give people control over the server rules, they proceed to make everything incredibly lame.

"Umm excuse me, this is a crouch only server. I'll kick you if you stand up again!" (Seriously, people try and balance the game on PC by making everyone do nothing but crouch walk, there are dozens of servers like this.) or you find a server where they ban noobtubes, or last stand, or the Famas, or Ghost, or something equally stupid. Add to that, hundreds of 24/7 Nuketown servers and Admins that will kick you for getting a better score then them and it makes it all a seriously pissy experience.

Dedicated servers are meant for slower games, Battlefield needs them because when your going to be playing the same round for half an hour or so. You want to have a consistent experience. But in COD, the round will last maybe 10 minutes at most. Having a matchmaking system works for that length of game because if the host changes and theres more lag, you'll only have to deal with it for a fraction of the time. It also makes jumping in and out of a game so much easier, just hit a button and play, rather than spend time finding a low ping server and then hoping it doesn't crash.

Dedicated servers are great in alot of games, but not Call of Duty. (At least not the Call of Duty we know today.)

LOL Mike. Really. COD4's dedicated servers and mod support made MW2's better MP elements and MAPS possible. But hey, who gives a rats anyway. Modern Borefare is dead.

No.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

No.

Missed the whole issue of COD4 PC modders pointing out a whole game mode and series of maps stolen from them in MW2? I know you won't look that shit up and I can't be arsed linking it for you but it happened. What happened since MW2's lack of dedicated server and mod support? Oh yeah, that's right - IW died in the arse and the series stagnated and declined.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mikemcn

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

No.

Missed the whole issue of COD4 PC modders pointing out a whole game mode and series of maps stolen from them in MW2? I know you won't look that shit up and I can't be arsed linking it for you but it happened. What happened since MW2's lack of dedicated server and mod support? Oh yeah, that's right - IW died in the arse and the series stagnated and declined.

The 3rd person mods for Call of Duty 4 were complete shit, there was no motivation for anyone to replicate it, and no maps we're copied from COD4, not that the makers had any rights to them if they were. And they say im trolling, stop it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Brendan

O god, it begins again...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

No.

The 3rd person mods for Call of Duty 4 were complete shit, there was no motivation for anyone to replicate it, and no maps we're copied from COD4, not that the makers had any rights to them if they were. And they say im trolling, stop it.

This whole topic is a troll and you know it, even Claude pointed it out just more nicely than he should have. I'm just stating facts, so don't call me names.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mikemcn

@SeriouslyNow: Show me the facts then.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Sooty
    @Mikemcn said:

Some of the most idiotic shit I've heard.

Meant for slower games? So wait, you would like to play a game with noticeable bullet delay just because the game is faster? Does not compute.

Quake III is an incredibly fast game, that's not fun to play at 100MS which is the kind of ping you get on MW2 PC. Yeah. Right...

Call of Duty 4 with its dedicated server support is far better than MW2 and Black Ops on PC. Your argument is absolutely terrible and there's no reason why matchmaking and dedicated servers cannot co-exist.

You say they're not great in Call of Duty yet Call of Duty 4 is a shining example of how great they truly are.

I'm Commander Shepherd and I'm out of this thread.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

No thanks, I'm off to bed with the missus. You don't need facts to support your argument and neither do I, except mine actually happened and yours happens to be true only in your mind. Sweet dreams sweetcheeks.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mikemcn

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

No thanks, I'm off to bed with the missus. You don't need facts to support your argument and neither do I, except mine actually happened and yours happens to be true only in your mind. Sweet dreams sweetcheeks.

You make the internet suck.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Mikemcn said:

You make the internet suck.

You want to make PC gaming suck.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By nintendoeats

You know what I love? Counterstrike.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By iam3green

aww that sucks. find a different server if that kind of stuff pisses you off. it's one reason why i like having dedicated servers. the servers can do any kind of rule they want to, sometimes it makes them fun.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By StingingVelvet

Like most have said, the OP's issue with dedis can be solved by playing only on official servers, or by browsing server lists for "normal" servers.

I don't really care about this specifically because I don't play CoD games online, but that's one silly OP.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Solemn
    @nintendoeats said:

You know what I love? Counterstrike.

DITTO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.