Veteran difficulty compared to CoD4

#1 Posted by MildMolasses (3230 posts) -

I just finished the game on veteran. While playing, I had the brilliant idea to go back to CoD4 and try that on veteran. I haven't played that game since it came out, so I figure seeing it again would be worthwhile. Now I understand that CoD 4 is tougher, but how much tougher is it? I didn't find this or MW2 to be that bad, but I also realise that the beautiful snap-to aiming isn't in it and could make it much more challenging, along with infinite enemy spawns and grenade spam

#2 Posted by Zippedbinders (1042 posts) -

I just played about an hour of COD4. Snap-To auto aim is totally in it.

#3 Posted by mlarrabee (3097 posts) -

Even so, that "hold out with Price for the helicopters" bit is still rotten. Nearly everything else was just fine on Veteran, but that part... *ugh*

#4 Posted by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -
@mlarrabee: I still haven't beat that part
#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3230 posts) -

@Zippedbinders said:

I just played about an hour of COD4. Snap-To auto aim is totally in it.

Yep. I just started it. I though that was something they introduced in MW2

#6 Posted by Mikemcn (7064 posts) -

Veteran in Call of Duty is generally tough, Call of Duty 4 was largely free of any majorly cheap moments. The Kowloon Level in Black Ops where you fall off the roof and have to hold off enemies with your pistol, is the worst Call of Duty Veteran difficulty moment. You'd think it's an easy on rails moment, but instead your forced to play over and over as the AI instant lock onto you while your immobilized and completely vulnerable.

#7 Posted by Redbullet685 (6107 posts) -

Veteran on MW3 is much easier I thought. There wasn't many parts that I got stuck on in MW3, though in MW1, there was a few missions I just couldn't finish on Veteran.

#8 Posted by Bubbly (259 posts) -

IMO COD 4 is harder as I feel that the enemies were slightly more accurate and could kill you faster. The thing is that there are certain parts in COD 4 that are an absolute bitch because of infinite enemies. Only way to get past is shoot as much dudes as you can and go forward. Just gotta inch your way to checkpoints in some parts. I also remember getting stuck on the last mission when you are in the bunker. I believe it is the last big room you fight in and it is basically a square room with a bunch of boxes and crates and an enemy tucked in every corner that will kill you with one shot. The solution was get to the other side as fast as possible (this part was timed) while spamming the shotgun. There were infinite spawns in World at War and Black Ops, but I found them easier than the ones in COD 4 (still frustrating though). Also the after credits mission is hard, but a lot of fun. The satisfaction I got from getting that Mile High Club achievement is one that has rarely been matched. So all in all you should be able to fly through most of it, but be prepared to get stuck at certain parts. And ya that holdout mission in Ukraine is a bitch, but I felt that the room I talked about was harder.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2694 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2 and 3 are pretty easy since you can stay back and take out all the enemies before progressing most of the time.

Whereas Modern Warfare can be brutally tough because of the infinite enemies (damn you No Fighting in the War Room!)

#10 Edited by Hilikus (280 posts) -

Pretty sure I only got through CoD 4 on veteran after I unlocked the slow-mo 'cheat' from the intel collection. So many grenades!

#11 Posted by innacces14 (738 posts) -

CoD4 is harder cause of endless enemies, but it seems that every game has a part that is absolute bullshit cause you aren't keeping up with the scripting. With CoD4 it was "No Fighting in The War Room", MW2 had "Loose Ends" (where you have to escape Makarov's estate and head to the evac choppers down the hill admits a shit storm), Black Ops had "S.O.G." (napalm barrels, yo.), and MW3 had "Scorched Earth" (screw that tank portion. Friendly NPC would move up without making a clean sweep so I'd get gunned down by an enemy behind a bus/car/sandbag and THEN the friendlies would take him out).

Don't get me started with World at War's "Heart of the Reich".

#12 Posted by me3639 (1869 posts) -

@innacces14 said:

CoD4 is harder cause of endless enemies, but it seems that every game has a part that is absolute bullshit cause you aren't keeping up with the scripting. With CoD4 it was "No Fighting in The War Room", MW2 had "Loose Ends" (where you have to escape Makarov's estate and head to the evac choppers down the hill admits a shit storm), Black Ops had "S.O.G." (napalm barrels, yo.), and MW3 had "Scorched Earth" (screw that tank portion. Friendly NPC would move up without making a clean sweep so I'd get gunned down by an enemy behind a bus/car/sandbag and THEN the friendlies would take him out).

Don't get me started with World at War's "Heart of the Reich".

Couldn't have said it better myself. Dark Souls hasn't even made me throw out f bombs as much as some of CODs levels. There is always one, but god i love it so. Help me.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21788 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Veteran in Call of Duty is generally tough, Call of Duty 4 was largely free of any majorly cheap moments. The Kowloon Level in Black Ops where you fall off the roof and have to hold off enemies with your pistol, is the worst Call of Duty Veteran difficulty moment. You'd think it's an easy on rails moment, but instead your forced to play over and over as the AI instant lock onto you while your immobilized and completely vulnerable.

That is the exact moment that my Veteran save is at on Black Ops. Haven't picked the game up since then, as I almost broke a fucking controller over it.

If MW3's Veteran is like MW2's Veteran, then it's pretty much a cakewalk. If it's like CoD4's Veteran, then GODDAMMIT!

#14 Posted by Mikemcn (7064 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@Mikemcn said:

That is the exact moment that my Veteran save is at on Black Ops. Haven't picked the game up since then, as I almost broke a fucking controller over it.

If MW3's Veteran is like MW2's Veteran, then it's pretty much a cakewalk. If it's like CoD4's Veteran, then GODDAMMIT!

I can"t blame you, It took me something like 30 attempts, the guys you can aim at won't usually kill you, but there's one enemy directly behind you when you fall who you can't shoot, and he headshots you most of the time.

#15 Edited by DefaultProphet (575 posts) -

The only really difficult and not just tedious/gotta memorize the enemy spawns are the Treyarch CoD Games. Frak them. 4/MW2/MW3 are all well balanced on Vet.

Except Mile High Club. Frak that.

#16 Posted by MildMolasses (3230 posts) -

I quickly put it aside. The first two levels were a breeze, but as soon as I found a spot with constant spawns it became a nightmare. I was shooting dudes and moving up, but then a new enemy would spawn behind me and kill me. I tried a different route, and grenade spam started. Not going to enjoy this very much

#17 Posted by groin (863 posts) -

MW3 is the easiest COD to beat on veteran. I would rank the post COD4 titles in terms of veteran difficulty as follows:

Hardest: World At War (Homing grenades and Heart of the Reich)

Modern Warfare 1

Black Ops

Modern Warfare 2

Easiest: Modern Warfare 3

#18 Posted by Baillie (4318 posts) -

In terms of difficulty it goes...

• Modern Warfare 3
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Call of Duty: World at War
  • Call of Duty 1
#19 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
@Baillie said:

• Modern Warfare 3
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Call of Duty 1
I can actually agree on this. I will also add United Offensive to tie CoD as the hardest of all; possibly even harder due to some stages. SHOUTOUTS TO HEALTH BARS.
#20 Posted by Baillie (4318 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Baillie said:

• Modern Warfare 3
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Call of Duty 1
I can actually agree on this. I will also add United Offensive to tie CoD as the hardest of all; possibly even harder due to some stages. SHOUTOUTS TO HEALTH BARS.

I just looked at my list, apart from two, the games are getting easier, game by game.

#21 Posted by Buckwatters (141 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Even so, that "hold out with Price for the helicopters" bit is still rotten. Nearly everything else was just fine on Veteran, but that part... *ugh*

That has got to be the worst part of that game.

But yeah MW3 on Veteran doesn't seem as hard as COD4, and snap to aim has been in COD since at least COD2

#22 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

No way, the part in Black Ops , I think it's the third or fourth level, where you're in this underground complex and have to go down this long narrow hallway where enemies endlessly spawn is the worst. I remember beating BLOPS on Veteran and the achievement not unlocking despite the fact that I had all the cheevos for beating levels on Veteran. I fucking hate black ops now

#23 Posted by Entreri10 (271 posts) -

I think WAW (grenade Spamming) and COD4 were the hardest on Vet while MW2 was by far the easiest, with Black Ops and MW3 in between somewhere.

#24 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

@Entreri10 said:

I think WAW (grenade Spamming) and COD4 were the hardest on Vet while MW2 was by far the easiest, with Black Ops and MW3 in between somewhere.

Have you played CoD1 or were you too young?

#25 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

for me black ops was the most difficult especially the vietnam part when your base is attacked and you have to attack the enemy downhill i couldnt do it. stopped playing vetaran right then and there.

#26 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

For those of you that remember Hill 400. I salute you.

#27 Posted by aseddon130 (65 posts) -

MW3 is a cake walk compared to MW1, i did all three Veterans this year (in the last couple of months) building up to the release of MW3 and MW1 is the hardest of the three. I did MW3 in the space of 24 hours (playing for an hour here and there) on Veteran and not much of it felt difficult at all.

It took me more time doing Mile High on it's own than the whole of MW3, i ended up taking about 5 hours or so total and i shot the hostage 3 times :/

The hardest one i have done is Call Of Duty 2 and that took me 15 months on and off, and i hated every minute of it. By far the hardest 1000 points i have achieved.

#28 Posted by Sander (413 posts) -

I think this is the easiest COD yet, in terms of Veteran difficulty. 
For reference, I've completed Veteran on:
MW2
MW3
COD2
Black Ops

Was unable to complete Veteran on:
World at War (fucking Soviet sniper duel!)
COD4 (hold out with Price for the chopper bah)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.