What Activision Told Its Employees Today About Modern Warfare 3's Leak

• 126 results
#101 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

I still feel it was a dick move on Kotaku's part to leak the game like that. I mean, you are trying to be a professional site, so you shouldn't have a hand in distributing such a bad leak...

#102 Posted by Xeridae (43 posts) -

Hilarious that he thinks that because the info was leaked it's going to impact sales of the game at all.

Basically all that was revealed was that yes, there will be a MW3 (shocking) and what locations the game will take place in.

I can just picture his reaction, "Gentlemen, stop everything and rebuild the game from scratch".

#103 Posted by MforMaverick (119 posts) -

This leak wasn't going to ruin sales at all. People are going to flock to MW3 like it was Jesus. Activision calm down and enjoy the money that will come your way. I skipped on Black Ops knowing that Modern Warfare 3 was going to be due the following year. No surprise here. 

#104 Posted by Xsheps (114 posts) -

This series has become so popular that I doubt the leak matters much if at all for the game's sales and the company's profits.

#105 Posted by CrescentFresh (126 posts) -

I like how we are reading a leaked email about finding a leak.

#106 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

wouldnt be surprised if this game sold more than Black Ops

#107 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

its like the same box art again.

#108 Posted by WVUEers (110 posts) -

Conspiracy Theory Idea:

What if some big wigs at Activision purposefully leaked the material because they know full well that this version of the game might suffer poor sales regardless due to the Guitar Hero syndrome. By doing this they can somewhat attempt to save face in the eyes of the shareholders and public in saying that it's poor sales are due to this rather then say the series becoming monotonous. We all know that in truth this will hardly effect sales, but in very up in the air year for the franchise one must assume that there are a lot of people who are afraid to see the brand name of Call of Duty linked with poor sales for no particular reason aside of lost interest. Of course should the game do great they can even tag this on to their little number by saying "who would have know what could have been".

Again just free thinking, I actually don't believe any of what I just said.
#109 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@MetalMoog said: 

And the same game is getting made and reskinned for the 5th year in a row! Pass on this overly stale franchise and grab BF3 instead. It's gonna dominate.

You're a unique snowflake.

@Kahoona said:
I love how they refer to the game as "Call of Duty Intellectual Property".  It's like they don't even want to acknowledge it's a game, just a commodity to them.

Here's a secret. That's how they make so much money. They don't care about the game itself. 
#110 Posted by downtime58 (224 posts) -
@Styl3s: I don't get the people complaining about MW3 and then saying they can't wait for BF3 as though it's going to be something totally different.

I don't know if people are looking at different previews than me but last I checked linear single player levels full of faux-realistic military situations. vocabulary and weapons doesn't exactly strike me as breaking the mold - what is BF3 offering that console players haven't already seen in Bad Company 1 and 2?
#111 Posted by MajesticOverlord (181 posts) -

I'm so hyped for this game, along with Battlefield 3. The Call of Duty series have always had a fun fast pace arcade like experience. Also, Infinity ward have Captain Price. 

#112 Posted by Duffyside (899 posts) -

"... we needed to look both backwards and forwards simultaneously. "

We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, TWIRLING TOWARDS FREEDOM!
#113 Posted by gbrading (2132 posts) -

It's like "This has been a very good day for us... But whoever leaked this is going to be flayed alive."

#114 Posted by carljbern (2 posts) -

Kinda skeptical about this, it feels like they are milking the cow dry.

#115 Posted by Zig6 (3 posts) -

This leak can be huge for MW3.  I'm confident that MW3 will outsell Blops.

#116 Edited by MiniPato (2752 posts) -
@downtime58 said:

@Styl3s: I don't get the people complaining about MW3 and then saying they can't wait for BF3 as though it's going to be something totally different.
I don't know if people are looking at different previews than me but last I checked linear single player levels full of faux-realistic military situations. vocabulary and weapons doesn't exactly strike me as breaking the mold - what is BF3 offering that console players haven't already seen in Bad Company 1 and 2?

First off, the main draw of BF3 is not the singleplayer. Real fans of past Battlefield games (NOT BAT COMPANY AS THEY ARE SEPARATE SERIES) are looking forward to the large scale, vehicle based, squad based combat. Secondly, Bad Company is not Battlefield, it may have the Battlefield name, but it is not Battlefield. Bad Company is the consolified, CoD-fied Battlefield. Real Battlefield games feel more like PC FPS games. You must have never played Battlefield 2 on the PC, which is what Battlefield 3 is a sequel to. You really can't judge FPS games by footage. You really have to play them to see how they handle. Play Battlefield 2 and then try claiming that it's just reskinned Call of Duty.
#117 Posted by ArmyCrow (8 posts) -

So they've mentioned they need to both look forwards and backwards at the same time. How long will it be before they are twirling. Twirling towards freedom.?

#118 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

The solution is finding the fuckers, sacking them, and then making their profiles visible so other developers can see who they don't want as employees. 

#119 Edited by mr_shoeless (388 posts) -

Allow me to translate this memo:

Hey guys, we were planning to TOTALLY SHOCK the ENTIRE WORLD next week by announcing a MODERN WARFARE 3 VIDEO GAME that I'm sure NOBODY WAS EXPECTING. But now, some little tattler has gone and ruined all our plans by spilling the beans to evil, greedy, web loggers. 

It's cool though. That pipsqueak will be found and his family will be punished. In the meantime, we were able to turn these lemons into lemonade by doing all the stuff we had already planned to do. And from the looks of it, our corporate executives and stockholders will be able to enjoy an even larger pile of glorious cash from all of your hard work. Isn't our executive leadership team great? Their quick response made it possible for our CEO to protect his valuable Intellectual Property from the deviousness of you, the proletariat. All praise to our Great Leader!

Now, don't worry your little heads about this any more. Just get back to work, and try not to have fun. For the good of the people.

Sincerely,
Eric Hindenberg
#120 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: Except Kotaku is not a professional site, it's part of Gawker media and is a GOSSIP site for video games.  Journalistic "integrity" is not one of their strong suits.  This is coming from the same family of websites that leaked the iphone4 when they paid someone for a prototype that was left at a bar by a developer.  Please try not to put Kotaku on a pedestal, they deal in gossip, heresay, and rumors and they do it well.
#121 Posted by Koshka (189 posts) -
@dvorak said:
I feel like it's basically obligatory as a fan of FPS games to get this.
Whoa! Hell no for me, thank you very much.

I'm an FPS fan for things like BF2 and ArmA2, but not for games like CoD:MW and up. The multiplayer is of no interest to me and I can't and never have said it's fun. Just my two cents, but don't go on saying it's "obligatory"...
#122 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -
@Koshka:  For some reason everyone keeps quoting this days later. I didn't mean it like you think.

I mean it's obligatory for ME as a fan of FPSs to play this and keep up with the franchise and my other friends who play them. Not anyone else in particular. I didn't mean it as a general statement.
#123 Posted by ELincoln (15 posts) -

Interesting story. Say what you will about Activision, they're incredibly competent  when it comes to marketing and hype-building. If only they showed such talent in an area more relevant to gamers.

#124 Posted by downtime58 (224 posts) -
@MiniPato: Fair enough, I've never played BF2 so I can't qualify its gameplay.

I guess my main question is this - is BF3 really so different from BC1 or 2 in its feature set...from what I can tell, large maps, with vehicles and squads was exactly what the two Bad Company games offered. BF3 looks to have the same things, with a persistent-leveling system and combat classes. On the whole, all of these things aren't new to the realm of console shooters any longer, so why in one breath decry how unoriginal the COD series has been, and in another breath praise a different franchise which essentially has been adopting the same tactic...ie, releasing similar games with slight iterative improvements over time. Maybe I think about these things too much - I'll play them both anyway.
#125 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -
@ELincoln said:

Interesting story. Say what you will about Activision, they're incredibly competent  when it comes to marketing and hype-building. If only they showed such talent in an area more relevant to gamers.

Sales would argue that it is very, very relevant to gamers.
#126 Edited by MiniPato (2752 posts) -
@downtime58 said:

@MiniPato: Fair enough, I've never played BF2 so I can't qualify its gameplay.

I guess my main question is this - is BF3 really so different from BC1 or 2 in its feature set...from what I can tell, large maps, with vehicles and squads was exactly what the two Bad Company games offered. BF3 looks to have the same things, with a persistent-leveling system and combat classes. On the whole, all of these things aren't new to the realm of console shooters any longer, so why in one breath decry how unoriginal the COD series has been, and in another breath praise a different franchise which essentially has been adopting the same tactic...ie, releasing similar games with slight iterative improvements over time. Maybe I think about these things too much - I'll play them both anyway.

Battlefield 3 is like the Mortal Kombat reboot of Battlefield. Sure, the BC games were good, but they aren't something a Battlefield fan on the PC wants from their battlefield game. The maps in BC aren't as big as BF, player count isn't even half of BF. After years of hiatus, Battlefield is back and people are pumped. As opposed to Call Of Duty which people have been seeing on a yearly basis. Again, play Battlefield 2 and tell me any game in the past 5 years that feels anything like it.

MW3's single player looks as exciting as ever and I always look forward to it, but the multiplayer has gotten stale and unless they do something to drastically change it like CoD4, then I'm turning to BF3 to satisfy my multiplayer shooting.
#127 Posted by Selftest (72 posts) -

There's a reason they're so ginormous, folks. Activision knows (now) how to handle this shit. This is the internet, folks. There is no such thing as a secret. Once companies realize that, they will fair much better in todays world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.