Which best describes your feelings on Call of Duty?

• 82 results
#51 Posted by Incryptic (28 posts) -

I played the CoD 2 demo multiple times, so many that I forgot. I bought CoD 4 and loved it. I then rented WaW, it wasn't that good. Once that all happened of course I bought MW2, loved it. But then the duel-wielding ranger guys and the marathon, lightweight, and commando pro knifing people got me to quit playing it. I bought Crap Ops expecting a great game, I was dumbfounded at how shitty it was. Basically the whole Call of Duty franchise is becoming a cliche and a bad template for the "ideal" shooter game or genre all together. It's just a name now, since Treyarch basically shit in a box and slapped the Call of Duty name on it and sold millions and millions of copies. I've asked my friends about CoD: Crap Ops and they only play it for Zombies mode, which to me is boring. But that's another story.  

Seems to me as long as they shit out zombie maps, Crap Ops will continue to live. Hopefully MW3 will dominate Treyarch's failed attempt at a decent shooter game. Let's all hope for the best.

#52 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

Been there, done that.

#53 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Not for me.

#54 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

How about I enjoy some of the Call of Duty games?

#55 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

The gameplay is just way to repetitive for me and there's no thinking involved its just run and gun honestly  the only thing  I really liked that the original  IW ever made was MOHAA that games mp was awesome and there was strategy I really miss the days of non regenerative health and no stupid perks and XP.

#56 Edited by Crocio (542 posts) -

The first one was great, COD 2 was fun online. COD4 was also good. All others were cash-ins.

#57 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Well FPSs in general I'm going with a big "ehhh" 

#58 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

rental

#59 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

I fucking loved Call of Duty 4, I played over 300 hours on that game. After all those hours killing dudes, unlocking all the gun camos, tenth prestige and so on. I was pretty much done with the game.

As much as I wanted to play the sequels, it just got stale and boring quickly. I just couldn't get into it anymore. I wanted something new, something innovative and Call of Duty isn't going to do that. 

I can understand the appeal of Call of Duty and I can understand the marketing strategy for this game but for me it’s just another generic shooter that I will never end up buying.

#60 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

They are well made games, and I enjoy the singleplayer. But that is where my involvement with Call of Duty ends.

#61 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

A.  Then again I am good at MP, so that helps alot.  Most people who hate COD are the ones who get their ass handed to them online.

#62 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -
@Jerome85 said:
A.  Then again I am good at MP, so that helps alot.  Most people who hate COD are the ones who get their ass handed to them online.
I disagree.  I am average staying positive with my KDR and I think I am on 11th or 12th prestige on Black Ops and enjoy them when I play them BUT I am getting tired of playing the same game every year.  I was going to buy Medal of Honor as something new but after reading the general negative reviews from both critics and players I decided to go with the devil I know.  I will definitely be getting Battlefield 3 this year though because even if Modern Warfare 3 is great the only way I could see myself enjoying it would be if I hear a lot of "innovation" in the reviews and I don't see that happening.
#63 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

No option for used to like but grew tired of it :\

#64 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Severely disappointed at the moment about it. Black Ops was pure grade A shit, MW3 will be better than it; but the question is by how much?

#65 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I only played COD 2 and 4 and havn't touched one since. Just more of the same.

#66 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

The answer I wanted wasn't there.  "I haven't gotten around to it yet".  I'm not a big shooter guy, and stuff like Singularity is way more appealing.  But I'm not opposed to the idea of MW. 
#67 Posted by mano521 (1215 posts) -

A. i enjoy them. but they really need to stop competing with their own games and stop trying to 1-up the last one on craziness. they should spend time making it look nice and balancing the multiplayer a lot more. Dont get me wrong i enjoy the singleplayer too, but most people play for the mp. if they fixed that i would say they were on par with the battlefield series. but from what ive seen bf is a lot better at both balancing gameplay and making a nice looking game

#68 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

D - Call of Duty is good but I'm sick of it now.

#69 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

after seeing bf3 i've no reason to ever have to think about cod again

#70 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

D: Indifferent.

#71 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

TC, your poll is flawed. Where is the neutral : 

I used to like Call of Duty before it became a Guitar Hero/ Madden, yearly edition of the same thing that becomes tiresome and exhausting.
#72 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Infinity Ward: A 
Treyarch: C

#73 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

The singleplayer is great. I enjoy that part of the game for sure

#74 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I genuinely can't see what all the fuss is about. Sure, MW pioneered some well-worn multi-player tropes with the original, but bar the high-production values, the game falls flat. 

Clichéd, tired set-pieces (bar a few), a ho-hum story and a multi-player that does very little to set itself out from the crowd (post MW). 

Not a fan in the slightest, but I'll sometimes play some split-screen if it's offered.

#75 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

I was looking for apathy, but then I decided that I hate everyone.

#76 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Can we have separate polls for the single and multiplayer?

#77 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

CoD 1 and 2 are still the best WW2 games out there.

#78 Posted by ninjalegend (411 posts) -

I guess the word I would look for is stagnant. I thought modern warfare was fun and introduced a lot in the multiplayer, getting me in to online FPS military shooters. Then Bad Company came around and introduced destructible environments and a good single player story. BC2 brought the destruction to a whole new level, introduced a team chat that let you communicate with your friends without having to hear other morons, and added tactics to the MP gameplay along with huge sweeping environments as well as great vehicle play. Call of Duty seems to be evolving into a giant Micheal Bay movie. 

I'm so burned out on military shooters, I don't know how excited I am for either. I loved the feeling of seeing what these weapons of destruction can do, so I may play Battlefield 3. Long gone are the days of me spending a ton of time in multiplayer. I do feel that if I play a military shooter, I want the feel of being in the thick of battle. Kind of like in a racing game, I want damage modeling on the cars, snow or rain effecting the track, and the thrill of weight management in the turns. I do not want to just hold a button for drift, be stuck on the road, and be able to survive a 200 foot drop.

Using the racing analogy, I would liken Battlefeild 3 to Dirt 3, and Modern Warfare to Ridge Racer.

#79 Posted by Auswin (66 posts) -

I picked 'A', but with a caveat. 

I think Activision saturated the market with the brand. Since the original Call of Duty in 2003 we're on pace to see 8 different iterations of a Call of Duty game. At this point it's just too much... we've had 4 games set in WW2 (1, 2, 3, World at War), 3 games set in the Modern era (MW1, MW2, MW3) and one which spanned decades (Black Ops).  

To me there needs to be a cooling off period so absence can set in, and the heart can grow fonder. Right now, I'm growing weary of it the same way I did another series I used to love, Tony Hawk. It's at the point now where CoD has gone from a day 1, wait in line, midnight pickup to now being a game I rent, play through the single player and wash my hands of it.

#80 Posted by Captainlunchbox (443 posts) -

Somewhere between B & C. That series topped out at the first MW for me, which I will stop pop in and play and have fun.

#81 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

It's not really my thing, and they put out too many of 'em.

#82 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

C, but the best  that describes my opinion is really that i don't like the CoD games but i don't have anything against the people who enjoys them. I don't like the MP at all and don't really think it's worth your cash. 

EDIT: Those before MW2 are great games though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.