Which Strike Package do you plan to use the most in MW3, and why?

#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
#2 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
The Assault Strike Package

Most killstreak rewards are lethal, and benefit you as a player.  Your killstreak rewards chain (allowing kills achieved with streak rewards to count towards your streak), but your streak is reset upon death.


The Support Strike Package

Most killstreak rewards are non-lethal, and designed to benefit your entire team.  Your killstreak rewards do not chain, but your streak does not reset after death, which allows you to play the objective and not worry about dying.


The Specialist Strike Package

Killstreak rewards are traded for perk rewards, which only benefit you as a player.  You enter the game with three selected perks, and select three additional perks to be earned at 2, 4, and 6 kills, respectively.  Upon earning your 8th kill, you are awarded with all basic and pro perk abilties that you have currently unlocked.  Your streak is reset upon death.
#3 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

The first one because im selfish

#4 Posted by BroadswordOfTheSpirit (14 posts) -

Support Strike Packages; call me a noob, but there's nothing more frustrating than losing your killstreak one or two kills away from your last reward.  I die a lot, so I think the support packages will allow for more gratifying gameplay for me.

#5 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
@BroadswordOfTheSpirit said:
Support Strike Packages; call me a noob, but there's nothing more frustrating than losing your killstreak one or two kills away from your last reward.  I die a lot, so I think the support packages will allow for more gratifying gameplay for me.
I think even really good players running the support package will be a huge benefit to their team, and enjoy not having to worry about dying for a change.  My K/D hovers around 2 or 2.5, and I've called in my share of choppers and dogs in Black Ops, but I'm absolutely going to be running support more than assault.    
 
I'll probably also do a bit of super solidering with the specialist package as well.
#6 Posted by Mentalnova (139 posts) -

I don't even have any interest in the series anymore and that was confusing.

#7 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Assault, because I like to kill dudes.

#8 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Probably the support package because I'm not very good at COD, but the specialist strike package thing seems pretty interesting.

#9 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
@Red said:
Probably the support package because I'm not very good at COD, but the specialist strike package thing seems pretty interesting.
And even if you're not very good and can't often get to the eight kills required for full-on perk madness, it should be easy to get 2 or 4 kills now and then for some basic rewards.  Just allowing players to somehow use two perks that are in the same tier is something I've been wanting for several games now, so it will be great to finally have a way to make that happen. 
 
AND it will mean less air support in the skys and dying less often to killstreaks.  Seems like a great move for the series.
#10 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

I'd probably end up using support most often, but using specialist and having hardline as one of your starting perks seems like a pretty neat idea, only needing one kill to give yourself 4 perks sounds like a fast way to 'roid yourself up and give you an advantage in one on one encounters

#11 Posted by BroadswordOfTheSpirit (14 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac: Don't get me wrong, I'm not terrible at CoD (K/D ratio is around 1.2), I'm just... incautious.  And few games can make me pissed off like Call of Duty.  So any sort of game mechanic that can help me enjoy the game more in that fashion sounds good in book.
#12 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

Strike packages? Are they not doing custom classes anymore? I've been somewhat out of the loop regarding details about this game's multiplayer.

#13 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Mainly Specialist, because I'm ridiculously good at MW2 and MW3 will be almost identical. I'll probably opt for Support in proper objective games but in TDM it's all aggressive.

The main reason as to why I'm going Specialist and not Assault is because I'm not much for killstreaks granting you free kills. As of now I only play MW2 with UAV and Counter-UAV (yes, 3rd killstreak disabled) because using any of the other killstreaks just slows me (and my killing) down plus it's a nice added challenge.

I still play MW2 on PC every now and then so feel free to hit me up! Steam name is Sjupp

#14 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -
@TrippinBungalow said:

Strike packages? Are they not doing custom classes anymore? I've been somewhat out of the loop regarding details about this game's multiplayer.

They're still doing custom classes. Strike Packages are the new form of kill streaks. 
Assault is the one that's most like the older kill streaks, air strikes, choppers, things along those lines. Streaks reset once you die. 

Support is more along the lines of UAVs and things that go to help the entire team, also the points you earn for the streaks don't reset when you die.  

Specialist gives you an additional perk every two kills, and when you hit an 8 kill streak you'll have all of the perks you've unlocked so far, but you'll have to do this without any other kind of kill streak assisting you (not counting any UAVs your team puts out) and you lose the extra perks when you die. 
 
also, you can earn 'points' for your streaks by more than just getting kills, capturing a point in Domination or a flag in capture the flag will earn you points on your streaks as well. They're trying to encourage more team play in objective games and not just having people camping for high kill streaks
#15 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
@WiqidBritt said:
@TrippinBungalow said:

Strike packages? Are they not doing custom classes anymore? I've been somewhat out of the loop regarding details about this game's multiplayer.

 
also, you can earn 'points' for your streaks by more than just getting kills, capturing a point in Domination or a flag in capture the flag will earn you points on your streaks as well. They're trying to encourage more team play in objective games and not just having people camping for high kill streaks
You also earn points by taking down enemy air-support or destroying enemy streak rewards, such as SAM turrets and sentry guns.
#16 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac: the one that makes me not buy this game
#17 Posted by bobafettjm (1520 posts) -

I would have to say the support packages. I have no problems getting great killstreaks in the previous games, but in Black Ops I choose the more support oriented stuff anyway. I am glad people will be rewarded now for actually playing the game modes like they are supposed to instead of playing them all like TDM.

#18 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

@Sjupp said:

Mainly Specialist, because I'm ridiculously good at MW2 and MW3 will be almost identical. I'll probably opt for Support in proper objective games but in TDM it's all aggressive.

The main reason as to why I'm going Specialist and not Assault is because I'm not much for killstreaks granting you free kills. As of now I only play MW2 with UAV and Counter-UAV (yes, 3rd killstreak disabled) because using any of the other killstreaks just slows me (and my killing) down plus it's a nice added challenge.

I still play MW2 on PC every now and then so feel free to hit me up! Steam name is Sjupp

Aw I was hoping you played on the xbox;) Haven't experienced a proper challenge in a while.

I think I will mainly go for the assault one, and the others for challenges.

#19 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:
@WiqidBritt said:
@TrippinBungalow said:

Strike packages? Are they not doing custom classes anymore? I've been somewhat out of the loop regarding details about this game's multiplayer.

 
also, you can earn 'points' for your streaks by more than just getting kills, capturing a point in Domination or a flag in capture the flag will earn you points on your streaks as well. They're trying to encourage more team play in objective games and not just having people camping for high kill streaks
You also earn points by taking down enemy air-support or destroying enemy streak rewards, such as SAM turrets and sentry guns.
oh really? I haddn't heard that... I'm definitely gonna be shooting stuff down as often as I can then.
#20 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -
@WiqidBritt said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

You also earn points by taking down enemy air-support or destroying enemy streak rewards, such as SAM turrets and sentry guns.
oh really? I haddn't heard that... I'm definitely gonna be shooting stuff down as often as I can then.
Yep, take a look:   
#21 Posted by SmasheControllers (2551 posts) -

Support for pretty much everything and Specialist for TDM and FFA.

#22 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm leaning towards Assault Strike, but they all sound pretty interesting. I guess I'd try them all out and see which I liked best.

#23 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3828 posts) -

I think it's going to be important in MW3 for people to coordinate their strike packages. One person on your team using an EMP just before another teammate pulls out an AC130 or Osprey Gunner is going to be about the only thing to prevent the enemy team from shooting that sucker down rather quickly.

Speaking of which, if one team uses an EMP and then pulls out some heavy air support, will the other team be able to use a second EMP, or will they just be screwed? It's going to be interesting seeing how it will all work out.

#24 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

I'm definitely going to try them all out and see what I do the best with. Since I'm not that good at cod I may do better with the support packages as I don't really rack up high kill streaks.

#25 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2906 posts) -

Probably the Specialist because I would like to enter the round with some performance enhancements. Moreover, I will then add another enhancement after my second kill, which is simple enough. If you are okay at getting kills but not good at stringing them the Specialist tree are a good compromise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.