Activision Formally Announces Call of Duty Online

• 91 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2216 posts) -
This doesn't look too shabby for a free-to-play game, but we haven't seen it in motion.

Activision has been talking about a microtransactions-based Call of Duty game for the Asian market for years, and it’s finally becoming a reality with the upcoming Call of Duty Online.

Call of Duty Online has been in development within Activision for more than two years, and is set within the Modern Warfare universe. The publisher has aligned with Tencent Holdings Limited to roll out Call of Duty Online, specifically targeted at Chinese players.

This free-to-play version of Call of Duty will allow players to customize weapons, characters, and equipment. In addition to multiplayer modes, there will be Special Operations missions.

“We think China is one of the most exciting places in the world for us to grow our business and to develop innovative new games,” said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick in the release.

I’ve asked Activision if there’s any chance Call of Duty Online will be released outside of China (nothing yet), but Call of Duty Elite seems like Activision’s current path to extract more money out of fans. Never say never, though.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2216 posts) -
This doesn't look too shabby for a free-to-play game, but we haven't seen it in motion.

Activision has been talking about a microtransactions-based Call of Duty game for the Asian market for years, and it’s finally becoming a reality with the upcoming Call of Duty Online.

Call of Duty Online has been in development within Activision for more than two years, and is set within the Modern Warfare universe. The publisher has aligned with Tencent Holdings Limited to roll out Call of Duty Online, specifically targeted at Chinese players.

This free-to-play version of Call of Duty will allow players to customize weapons, characters, and equipment. In addition to multiplayer modes, there will be Special Operations missions.

“We think China is one of the most exciting places in the world for us to grow our business and to develop innovative new games,” said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick in the release.

I’ve asked Activision if there’s any chance Call of Duty Online will be released outside of China (nothing yet), but Call of Duty Elite seems like Activision’s current path to extract more money out of fans. Never say never, though.

#2 Posted by Var (9 posts) -

Now when will something like this come to america (never)

#3 Posted by Autumn_Thunder (98 posts) -

But if Black Ops 2 takes place in China, will we see people playing this game?

#4 Posted by probablytuna (3832 posts) -

Seems like it would be released worldwide if it proves successful in China.

#5 Posted by vince_kupo (142 posts) -

we all saw that coming lol

#6 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

But is this something that the western market would really want out of Call of Duty?

#7 Posted by ADAMWD (617 posts) -

Misspelled publisher in the second paragraph.

#8 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I wonder if they will localise the plot hooks. Less "America - Hell Yeah! Damn Towel Heads"and more "Invade Taiwan. Kill those Tibetan Monks before they can light themselves on fire.".

#9 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

Good luck ever seeing this on Xbox 360.

#10 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

It's free-to-play with micro-transactions. That makes sense for China or any of the Asian-Pacific nations who utilize internet cafes primarily. In North America and Western Europe, consoles and home computers with internet access are the preferred way of gaming. I think Activision can still make more money off retail version of COD in those countries rather than create their own competition by releasing a F2P COD in the West.

It will happen eventually but I can't see it this generation.

#11 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

Those just look like screenshots from MW2.

#12 Posted by TheHT (11831 posts) -

Exciting = profitable

Innovative = more profitable

#13 Posted by Meyers09 (21 posts) -

Those screenshots look like the Wreckage Spec Ops level from Modern Warfare 2

#14 Posted by Bollard (5870 posts) -

Uh aren't those screen shots from MW2...

#15 Posted by Zaapp1 (661 posts) -

I'm trying to figure out exactly what Kotick means by "innovative new games."

#16 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

But is this something that the western market would really want out of Call of Duty?

Team Fortress is basically this same business model, just better hats.

At least... so far. MW needs to step up its hat game.

#17 Posted by Danteveli (1205 posts) -

Great move. While I was in Beijing Call of Duty was really popular. Still it was really hard to buy non pirate version of game. With Free 2 Play model they can earn a lot $$$

#19 Posted by Joker369 (881 posts) -

That's just MW2 spec ops....

#20 Edited by Rapid (1409 posts) -

@Autumn_Thunder said:

Is the Xbox 360 still banned in China? I guess Black Ops 2 will be on the PC too, but I wonder if Activision is already thinking Black Ops 2 sales will not sell well there, so they are trying instead, to market Call of Duty Online . Wonder if the Chinese government will get upset at Activision now that the game is set in China.

#21 Posted by MeatSim (10945 posts) -

Until the $60 a year COD games become less profitable I don't see this coming here anytime soon.

#22 Posted by kindone (2843 posts) -

Fucking PR spin. We all know the only reason they are going to release a Pay-to-win over there is because America won't take it. Instead of releasing a solid product with lots of refinements and work, they shy away and take the smallest leap possible. It's going to be riddled with bugs that will be exploited purposefully, and rape the already destroyed micro-transaction market they have over there.

Not that China should be held higher than any other, but this is just a disgusting move with absolutely no dignity.

#23 Posted by theodacourt (546 posts) -

I don't think this will make it to the west. If they want people to pay for the micro transactions, they need to provide the best MP they have for it so people will stay. That means having perhaps a subpar or equal experience yearly on discs costing $60 on entry, and people won't pay for it. If they put a better version on the disc then maybe people will buy it and then people won't play the free version and give them micro money. They already have all of the people in the west, they don't need to entice people with F2P stuff.

#24 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Online game? When in doubt: Asia.

#25 Posted by theanticitizen (276 posts) -

@Autumn_Thunder: Call of Duty Online takes place in the Modern Warfare universe, as stated in the article. So...no, BLOPS2 won't be selling there.

#26 Posted by DoktorFaustus (55 posts) -

I hope this won't be pay to win..

#27 Posted by Jayzilla (2573 posts) -

Activision: Spying on and firing employees to keep them from royalties, and keeping you buying our games year after year! Thank you consumers for continuing to allow us to do whatever we want and to treat our employees however we want without consequence!

#28 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

"This doesn't look too shabby for a free-to-play game, but we haven't seen it in motion."

Free to play games are no longer fair targets for such comments when you have stuff like Hawken, TF2 and LoL, all look like premium products.

#29 Posted by ds8k (414 posts) -

Innovative?

#30 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MeatSim said:

Until the $60 a year COD games become less profitable I don't see this coming here anytime soon.

Dont you mean 140 a year! For the 1.5 million COD elite subscribers and counting!

#31 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

weird that they are aiming it at china. This game would do pretty well in the US market as a free2play, just microtransaction character skins, weapon skins, xp boosts. Have a good all-star map selection from previous call of duty games and it'd do well.

#32 Posted by LukeSkywaka (20 posts) -

"We think China is one of the most exciting places in the world for us to grow our business and to develop innovative new games".
Translation, we will make a lot of money exploring these suckers

#33 Posted by eloj (502 posts) -
@pa21ris said:

Tragedy: Not getting yet another online shooter on a seven year old console. How will we survive this crisis? News at eleven.
#34 Posted by YOUNGLINK (552 posts) -

So much hate. Activision is still a company that wants/needs to make money right?

#35 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@pa21ris said:

PC seems more likely given the kind of game.

#36 Posted by Xeirus (1376 posts) -

@Sooty said:

"This doesn't look too shabby for a free-to-play game, but we haven't seen it in motion."

Free to play games are no longer fair targets for such comments when you have stuff like Hawken, TF2 and LoL, all look like premium products.

TF2 was not F2P until years after release. Hawken isn't out yet.

LoL -does- look like a F2P game.... it's just a really good one.

#37 Edited by eloj (502 posts) -
@Marz said:

weird that they are aiming it at china. This game would do pretty well in the US market as a free2play, just microtransaction character skins, weapon skins, xp boosts. Have a good all-star map selection from previous call of duty games and it'd do well.

They've run the spreadsheets which tell them that they'll make more money on the current $60+$60(DLC) model in developed markets. It's only a matter of time though, once they've Guitar Heroed this shit properly I'd expect a F2P version to appear there too.

Not to mention, hard to do on their largest SKU, the Xbox 360. Next gen.
#38 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

@MeatSim said:

Yup, this is the one and only reason this is China only. Like World of Warcraft, western prices are too high for China, but you can still make a ton of money there if you can implement an alternative, cheaper business model. Sure, this would be a success here too, but why would they do this when millions of gamers will pay full price for the game, and the subscription.

#39 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@Sooty said:

TF2 was not F2P until years after release. Hawken isn't out yet.

LoL -does- look like a F2P game.... it's just a really good one.

What does Hawken not being out yet have to do with anything? It's out there, you can see E3 demos, it looks better than most games around.

Don't see how LoL 'looks' like a F2P game, has better art and style than a lot of paid titles.

and that's all I have to say about that.

#40 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

@Var said:

Now when will something like this come to america (never)

There is a free to play Battlefield version (based on BF2) that came out a while ago.

#41 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@Rapid said:

@Autumn_Thunder said:

Is the Xbox 360 still banned in China? I guess Black Ops 2 will be on the PC too, but I wonder if Activision is already thinking Black Ops 2 sales will not sell well there, so they are trying instead, to market Call of Duty Online . Wonder if the Chinese government will get upset at Activision now that the game is set in China.

As far as we know, it's not set in China. It's about a Chinese invasion on US soil.

#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@alternate said:

I wonder if they will localise the plot hooks. Less "America - Hell Yeah! Damn Towel Heads"and more "Invade Taiwan. Kill those Tibetan Monks before they can light themselves on fire.".

Why not make the Chinese hate "Towel Heads" aswell? (if they don't already). The more ignorant muslim/arab hatred in the international community, the better (for those who don't want it to go away).

#43 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -

Get dat Chinese money.

#44 Posted by Kissedtravisc (14 posts) -

China Online

#45 Posted by Humanity (10141 posts) -

@YOUNGLINK said:

So much hate. Activision is still a company that wants/needs to make money right?

No, game developers all wish to make all our inner gamer dreams come true, money is maybe like 5th down on the lists, right after "rainbows for everyone!"

#46 Posted by Maitimo (205 posts) -

Wonder how they'll dress it up to be acceptable to that market?

#47 Posted by SockemJetpack (412 posts) -

The Chinese market has been huge for Blizzard so why not Activision as well? Hell, they're already rolling out an entire expansion of WoW built around catering to that market. What worries me is if this is the start of something sinister for games that aren't called Call of Duty. If they make a lot of money with this ( and they will ) do we start seeing this kind of thing become more prevalent?

#48 Posted by takkun169 (45 posts) -

@Jayzilla: Oh but there have been very big consequences for doing that underhanded shit. They lost that court case and if rumors are true it cost them a cool billion. And even if rumors are only half true, That is a TON of money to lose.

#49 Posted by gaggle64 (140 posts) -

I would be completely on-board with a CoD MW game set entirely from a Chinese perspective.

#50 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

There are multiple reasonably successful F2P warshooter MMOs which the US market engages in. If Acticancer stepped in on that market with a compelling product using this brand name, for sure it would generate a sizeable income stream. Thing is, is this something Acti wants messing with their established CoD playerbase in the US? My guess is no. However, soon it may not even matter what they want because if they get sold to EA they will become something else entirely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.