Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Cod WAW even worth playing at this point?

• 52 results
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Player1

So I have some serious gaming backlog going on right now. I want to beat all of my purchased games, before I buy any news ones so it doesn't get worse. (bionic commando and infamous probably.) I was just making a list of all the games I wanted to beat, and this is what I've come up with, keep in mind im at beginning stages of all of these.

Fallout 3
    Killzone 2
    Assassins creed (actually close to being done with this...I think...don't laugh at me!)
    Lost and Damned
    Battlefield bad company
    and Maybe COD WAW

Thats where my question is. With all of these games on my plate. Its cod 5 even worth playing at this point. Is the story/gameplay new and compelling enough for me to care? Am I going to be missing anything skipping on this one? 

Thanks
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

It's a great game. Geez, you bought it and you're not going to play it? Lame.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DECA555

i got the platinum in both Killzone and WAW and i gotta saw, Killzone is a better game. 

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cube
    DECA555 said:
    i got the platinum in both Killzone and WAW and i gotta saw, Killzone is a better game.
    Doesn't make WAW not worth playing.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I'm almost finished with Assassin's Creed too. I just bought it, because of Assassin's Creed 2 being announced. I like it a lot, so no laughing here.

I played the demo of World at War and liked it. I'm not tired of WWII games like some people, but I can't seem to justify a purchase. If you have it, play it last or if not... trade and or sell.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

Here's another way to think about it...you have about $300 of entertainment that you used your own money for but not gotten your money's worth out of...play em' all man!

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Player1
    Cube said:
    It's a great game. Geez, you bought it and you're not going to play it? Lame.
    I didn't actually buy it. A scrub friend of mine didn't like the old fashioned guns so I gave him Microsoft points for it. (1200 if your wondering) So it was a steal. 

So when put up against games like Fallout 3, Killzone, and I forgot to mention Lost and the damned, youd say its good enough for me to play?
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Player1
    Brendan said:
    Here's another way to think about it...you have about $300 of entertainment that you used your own money for but ... [more]
    touche. I will add before you guys think I'm half retarded for not playing all of them, some of these I'm borrowing, some I got as gifts, some friends just gave to me. 

And of course I'd play all of them, if I had the time/ attention span
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DECA555
    @Cube: never said that. I enjoyed them both but i think killzone is a better FPS overall
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cube
    Player1 said:
    Cube said: It's a great game. Geez, you bought it and you're not going to play it? Lame. I didn't ... [more]
    I say so, yeah. It's not as good as KZ2 but it's worth playing through (the campaign is short too if that's an issue). I was not disappointed with it. I think a lot of people have "sheep" goggles on when judging the game.

"Hey, everyone else is balls deep on COD 4! FUCK WAW!"

It's a great game.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Player1
    @Cube: haha ok thanks man. What I was looking for. Short=AWESOME at this point. I'm just trying not to miss out, but I'm also trying to have a good time. I mean, thats what games are for right? 

And yeah, I will for sure prioritize what games I play first. I think Fallout 3 and killzone will be my first 2. 

Then maybe just play all of those games near the time of their sequels coming out, to hype myself up.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @Player1: All of the games you listed are better than World At War. If you are ever going to play a Call of Duty game, make it Modern Warfare.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pweidman

Play Bad Co. tc.  WAW is just a retread of the old as hell CoD formula.  The settings and levels are cool ,especially if you're into WWII, but the gameplay is just tired....I could barely complete it and it's only 6-7 hrs long..in short the answer to your Q imo is no considering the other stuff you have to play.

xFRIGx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xFRIGx

I think that WaW has never been worth playing, I suffered as I beat it on normal then was suicidal when I beat it on vetern, I will never touch it again for the multiplayer is extreamly flawed. Sir you have a ton of other great games there throw WaW out the window; no scratch that trade it in at your local gamestop. At least you would be getting money for it that way.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By krazy_kyle

In a nutshell, Call of Duty: WAW is COD:4 MW with new skins, same boring COD style war story and a couple more perks. Wait for Modern Warfare 2 and see if thats any better. PS. I hate COD multiplayer after they added in the perks. I missed the old multiplayer with the standard default classes which made it special and FAIR!!!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

IMHO

Fallout 3- Throw it in the garbage. The game is mind numbingly boreing. How ever it is a serious contender for best walking sim. Next to World of Warcraft.

Killzone 2- Havent played it but from what i have seen/heard the multi player looks really fun. Defiantly a good game to play.

Assassins creed - Play it for number two. or one if you are near the end. I loved the games gameplay, but sadly i played it on the pc and it kept crashing and freezeing so i never got past the first 2 or so cities. but i loved every sec of it.

Lost and Damned - I would play it if u had it. I wasnt a fan of gta 4. I beat it but i had to force myself to. Mainly because i didnt like the story/character of niko. So maybe the biker angle would improve it.

Battlefield bad company- This is the game i would play when u start to get bored of the others. I'm not afan of console shooter b/c i HATE useing thumbstick to aim in FPS. But the multi player can be very fun.

Maybe COD WAW- Its the same as cod 4. If you prefer ww2 over modern type setting for your shooter play it. Other wise just stick to cod 4 or any other fps.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Player1
    @crusader8463: LMAO at the walking sim comment.

Funny. Because after all the info I got here, I decided to do EXACTLY what you said. Work on Killzone first. Then onto lost and damned. Finish creed right before 2 comes out. Restart battlefield bad company, and if I for some reason have an insane ammount of time and attention span, I'll check out Fallout 3. 
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

I love the hate comments folks attack COD: World at War with. Some really pathetic reasons not to play a fantastic game! This might sound like absolute insane madness to some, but I have played a lot more of the World at War multiplayer mode then I did with COD4, I just find it more interesting despite being very alike.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cdfishman
    TrueEnglishGent said:
    I love the hate comments folks attack COD: World at War with. Some really pathetic reasons not to play a ... [more]
    seconded, I had a lot more fun with the WaW multi player as well.

SIngle player is short, but thats a healthy backlog, if you have played CoD4 then do not bother, it's very similar.
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lashe

I enjoyed WAW. It was not as engrossing as CoD4 in terms of story but the gameplay was pretty great as always, and damn it was gritty as hell at times.

And I have a soft spot for the Springfield rifle and Kar98k without scope.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hairydutchman

The single player is okay but the multiplayer is great.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowKiller
    crusader8463 said:
    IMHOFallout 3- Throw it in the garbage. The game is mind numbingly boreing. How ever it is a serious contender ... [more]
    You obviously haven't played Fallout for very long if that's what you think. I'll admit that the game is boring for the first few hours but once you really get into it it's an amazing game.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Player1:  I say no, its not worth playing at this point for you. Honestly, I never bought the game because I wanted to save my money and support infinity ward when Modern Warefare 2 comes out. All the developers for WaW did was rehash Infinity Ward's work. So based on the "fact" (in my mind) that you should be supporting Infinity Ward, just skip it.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463
    ShadowKiller said:
    crusader8463 said: IMHOFallout 3- Throw it in the garbage. The game is mind numbingly boreing. How ever it is a ... [more]
    You obviously like to make incorrect assumptions about people  ^_^ p

I played it for 5+ hours. I kept saying to myself it’s going to get fun, it’s going to get fun, everyone says just give it time. I give it more time. It never got fun. The same thing happened with bio-shock, another grossly over rated game minus its story. I liked the idea, some parts where implemented great, but the game play was just sooooooo mind numbingly repetitive and boring. I just couldn’t look past how bad they where to play, to even try and enjoy the story or other parts of it. It literally felt like a chore to play them. If you like it good for you, I just never saw the appeal in them. Plus the wooden horrific animations in Bethesda games just make me want to puke half the time they are so bad. I saw first year students in my 3d graphics course back in the day do better run cycles and attack animations then there games have. For the love of god did all the NPCs in that game take acting lesions from the Steven Segal school of acting? I have seen inanimate chairs show more lifelike emotions than half the NPC’s in their games lol

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ket87

For the time being it will be alright online. It tends to suck for awhile and the population will get real low while everyone goes off and plays something else but lately CoD4 has been big again (loving the boom it got from the MW2 hype), but when the Map Packs come out the amount of people online will more than double which is whats going on now. There will be tons of people playing it for the next couple weeks till they get bored of Map Pack 2 then it will go back to the usual suckery.

Though WaW is nothing but suckery, broken weapons and tons of imbalances plague that game more than any other in recent memory. Treyarch's failure to nerf Juggernaut and the MP40 is a testament to how shoddy a developer they really are. Instead of listening to the gamers who bought there game they are busy getting a hard one for zombies. Though surpisingly Map Pack 2 is filled with some quality maps that really outshine the ones that came with the game. Too bad the core gameplay is as broken as ever.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Jordan23

World at War is a good game and it has two map packs for download.

Although, I prefer Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (hands down) over World at War, its still a game that should be in every FPS fan collection.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kmdrkul

Well I mean, like someone else said, all the games you listed are in fact better than W@W, except maybe Assassins Creed which I could never bring myself to finish.  It's a great shooter; the single player doesn't hit quite as hard as Modern Warfares, and the multiplayer again doesn't make the same impact.  But it's CoD returning to it's WWII roots, bringing over the award winning multiplayer from the last game.  Personally I never really did like 4 going modern (still was a great game obviously...) and this game satisfied my needs.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VWGTI

WAW is awesome. Check it out.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @TrueEnglishGent: My thoughts exactly.  WAW is a great game, even if it's a clone of it's predecessor - which also was a fantastic game.  I always play WAW online, and as for my personal preference I'd rather have dogs over a helicopter any day of the week.  Now if they could just switch the airstrikes i'd be in FPS heaven.
    mattymattmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mattymattmatt

I actually just picked up World at War at Best Buy for $40, and I think I got a good purchase for the amount it's worth.  It's my first game pick up of the new year, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.  The campaign is fun enough, gives you an excuse to run through and get some practice for the multiplayer.  Weapons are all right; they're World War 2, so not much you can do there.  And there are plenty of people playing online at the moment.  It's consistently over 100,000 people.  And I just tried the zombie mode on the first map, and I had a pretty good time even with it being a pick up game.  I would give it a chance.  Sure it has flaws, it is Treyarch after all, but it shines through for being a quality product.

By the way, if anyone wants to hop in for some co-op, multiplayer, or zombie action, my gamertag on the 360 is nastyman 123.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

AMAZING CAMPAIGN

EVEN BETTER MULTIPLAYER

PLAY IT DAMN YOU
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Relys

The multiplayer in WaW is a SMG juggern00b whoring spray fest, and the developers don't give a fuck about skill.

Play the campaign though, it's pretty good + zombies is a good mode.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By T0mF5

You should go back and play CoD2.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amilmitt

WAW is a good shooter in my terms, interesting campaign was showing parts of ww2 i havn't seen.
    i haven't found any problems with multiplayer, i dont know why people are complaining about juggernaut and smg's, i dont run into problems with them.
    and the zombie mode is a blast with friends, and the new zombie maps are awesome.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By lemon360

yes it is worth playing. but cod4 is better even if the assists are shit.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By EpicSteve

I mean, It's Call of Duty. Go plat some damn Fallout, shit. ;)

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ekasra
      I'm in the same boat that you are in chief. I have a lot of games I need to play before I buy anymore so they don't go to waste. Despite this, I seem to be going back to Rock Band 2 and World at War (even though I have modern warfare). I do agree what people have been saying about the same. It is just a WW2 skinned version of Modern Warfare, but it may just be the historian in me that makes me enjoy it so much more. The perks are very similar, but the guns and how the guns are used change the game enough even though there are no major gameplay differences. It's really just a preference, I suppose.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimbo

The campaign isn't worth your time.  The only good thing is that it won't take you long to finish if you really must play it.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By angelkanarias

I played it a couple of days ago, and I beat it. It is ok, but not as cool as its predecessor. Don't expect it to be as awesome as CoD 4. Dunno about multiplayer.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By teh_destroyer

The multiplayer for WAW is so fucking addicting.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The only reason to play COD:WaW is to be serenaded with orders by  Jack Bauer and Commissioner Gordon.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pie

Its a good game thats definetly worth playing. The one thing that seems more prominent in this than 4 is infinitely respawning enemies

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By apathylad

I enjoyed the Nazi Zombies, especially the one in the second map pack. You need to have a sense of humor to appreciate the most out of that mode though.

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SUBL1ME
    @Roger_Klotz said:
    " The story is not too long and the multiplayer is really fun. Nazi zombies is also worth finishing the game for. "
    You no longer have to beat the campaign for zombies, a few when Map Pack 1 was released they unlocked it for all players instead of it being a secret mode. Which is good because its all the game has going for itself. The multiplayer is decent but the campaign is awful. And in a few month no one will be touching the online with MW2 coming out. Zombies is probably the only thing that will keep the game afloat, people will probably always come back for the zombie mode.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ThomasP

I've been playing the shit out of the latest addition to the Nazi Zombies series.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By jakob187

Look, asking that question on these forums is going to get you one major answer:  no, it sucks, blah blah blah, fuck Treyarch and Activision.  However, here's the truth of the matter:  World at War is a good game.  Unfortunately, Treyarch has some fascination with putting vehicles in the multiplayer (they did this in CoD3 also), and in turn, it makes 1/4 of the multiplayer suck shit.  Take that out of the equation, and I enjoyed the Hell out of that game.  I'm not a big fan of Nazi Zombie mode myself, but whatever.  The multiplayer is just fine, and honestly, it has one specifically stellar map called Dome that is a MUST PLAY.  That thing is up there with Karkand and 2Fort and Downfall (Red Faction Guerrilla if you don't know) for modern multiplayer map genius! 

So play it.  The single player is fun, especially to hear Kiefer Sutherland yelling "OUT-FUCKING-STANDING".  The multiplayer is good also.  Just don't expect an Infinity Ward level of precision.

intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By intercryllic

Youre either gonna hate it or love it depending on the impact the previous CoD had on you. If all else fails, play it for Nazi Zombies at least.

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By waketowakekid

OMG. This is a stupid convo. Look dude. You own the games right? PLAY THEM.  Just play them to you get bored and don't wanna play anymore. It's that simple. Don't force yourself to play anything you don't want to. Yes some games are better than others but your list is a solid. Pop one in play it. If you get bored trade it in. Simple. It's like choosing which color of M&M you want to eat first. There all good. As for posting this question up on this site. Another interesting choice. People give you their opinions which can be totally different than yours. So make up your OWN mind.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Its good.The weapons are unmodern and not so goodlocking either,but it'll do the trick.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zereta

My most favorite COD game thus far. 

Yes, I played COD4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.