Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

CoD5 multiplayer beta kicks ass

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Thrawn1

Well, I played a few rounds of the multiplayer beta, and I have to admit I'm fairly impressed. Many people have ragged on this game because of its WWII setting, but after seeing how well Treyarch pulled off the feeling of WWII, I feel a lot better about going back to the old, familiar time-piece. This game reminded me of the personality of the old Medal of Honor games. They had such a in-your-face, gritty setting, a setting that CoD5 has improved upon. With the inclusion of Pacific-themed maps, I didn't feel like I was playing the same old WWII FPS that we've all grown tired of these last few years.

Many people have talked about how the game doesn't look as good as CoD4, but I think this is a result of specific maps. For instance, Makin(a village) looks worse than Cod4, but Castle (uh...a japanese castle) looks better than anything in CoD4. The pacific setting has allowed Treyarch to use extremely saturated coloring, something that InfinityWard wasn't able to pull off.

As for the weapons, hmmm....I'm not sure yet. A lot of the weapons feel counter-intuitive, but many weapons (such as the trench-gun) feel great. I'll need more time in the beta to make a call on this one.

Ok....everyone's least favorite....the dogs. From what I've read on the internet, I expected the dogs to be way overbalanced. Well, this is both true, and not true. If you are by yourself and you hear dogs barking, expect to die. However, by simply sticking with one other person, any number of dogs can be easily fought off. As someone said during an online match, "all you have to do is not be a dumbass."

the tanks...forgettable. not really an issue, unless you waste your time trying to use them.

Overall, I enjoyed this beta a lot more than I've enjoyed any Cod4 game. I do plan on getting this game, mostly for the multiplayer. I don't really have high expectations for the SP, I just don't think Treyarch has had enough time to work on it. Hopefully I'll be surprised.

How many people agree? How many think I'm an absolute idiot? I hope some of you can find this quasi-preview informative.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I disagree completely, although I do like the weapons a lot. Nothing else about the beta appeals to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

It's not Call of Duty 5...it's Call of Duty: World at War.  I think it's an average quality port of an Infinity Ward game and I won't be buying it.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Thrawn1
    MB said:
    "It's not Call of Duty 5...it's Call of Duty: World at War.."
    I know, but I hate subtitles.
    nZeD_SkunK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nZeD_SkunK

I agree with you. I dont understand the hate on game companys, they provide hours of entertainment. And not anyone on these boards could produce better than treyarch.
    I dissagree with Makin, its the best looking level with the night setting. Plus i love getting a stab frenzy on the damn pooches, then i like to teabag the dog. (dont judge me)

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I completely disagree as well.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thrawn1
    nZeD_SkunK said:
    "I agree with you. I dont understand the hate on game companys, they provide hours of entertainment. And not anyone on these boards could produce better than treyarch.
    I dissagree with Makin, its the best looking level with the night setting. Plus i love getting a stab frenzy on the damn pooches, then i like to teabag the dog. (dont judge me)"
    i agree the level makin looks awesome beacuse it's dark and everything, but the textures seem sub-par to the rest of the maps
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

We'll I was not a dumb ass in quite a few games and the dogs still killed me, it doesn't matter if you have 6 people beside you if 7 dogs come after you and 4 come from behind which they like to do then your all gonna die.

Dogs should be one hit kills with pistol and knives...ect not the 2 or 2 and a half hits it takes.
    you were able to hide from the chopper most of the time and even blow it up pretty quickly. you cant hide from the dogs they will find you no matter what.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "We'll I was not a dumb ass in quite a few games and the dogs still killed me, it doesn't matter if you have 6 people beside you if 7 dogs come after you and 4 come from behind which they like to do then your all gonna die.

Dogs should be one hit kills with pistol and knives...ect not the 2 or 2 and a half hits it takes.
    you were able to hide from the chopper most of the time and even blow it up pretty quickly. you cant hide from the dogs they will find you no matter what.
    "
    Actually, there are multiple spots on each map that you can dodge dogs from. Eventually (especially in Hardcore) they just get unnoticeable for you (if you're good). I'm not a huge hater of the dogs.
    mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By mussbus999

I completely agree with MB

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sdodd02

I disagree, I think it's terrible.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

I haven't played the beta (Damn you, Jeff Gerstmann) but from the videos I have watched it seems like the American voice acting is extremely annoying.  Is it always Kiefer Sutherland?

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

CONSTRUCTIVE POST:  

As a guy who's played a hell of a lot of Call of Duty4's multiplayer I must admit I actually like it.  However I do consider it more of a mod for Call of Duty 4's multiplayer.  The quality isn't quite as high as Call of Duty 4, it seems to have a lot of bugs and balance issues but the gameplay is fresh, new weapons and perks really increase my interest in this game.  It seems very strange to me that you unlock the more powerful weapons as you level up, the genius of CoD4 was that the most powerful weapon in the game was the weapon you start off with. Unlocking more powerful weapons as you level seems to punish new players which is bad practice really, new weapons should be different, not better.  I think the tank's controls are completely horrible and I tend to use them as more of a static gun turret that I can move if I have to.

I have mixed feelings about the dogs and I actually think they cause far too many deaths, directly they'll get maybe 3/4 kills but indirectly they diftract players so much that enemy players can easily pick off people under attack by dogs.

Reading this post again it seems like I'm very down on CoD:WaW but I do actually think its pretty decent and it'll hold me over until the next ful Call of Duty game.
    Evolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Evolution

i cant play the beta, being that im half way across the world in a pretty primitive surrounding. it sounds ok though.. i will read a few reviews before buying it once i get home, though...
    if it isnt up to standard id be perfectly happy to play cod4 all year until cod6 comes out.

alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alexrubens
    MB said:
    "It's not Call of Duty 5...it's Call of Duty: World at War.  I think it's an average quality port of an Infinity Ward game and I won't be buying it."
    He's Right. Call of Duty 5 is a totally different game. World At War is made by Treyarch who made Call of Duty 3. Call of Duty 5 is made by Infinity Ward who made Call of Duty 2 and 4.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thrawn1
    ajr123 said:
    "MB said:
    "It's not Call of Duty 5...it's Call of Duty: World at War.  I think it's an average quality port of an Infinity Ward game and I won't be buying it."
    He's Right. Call of Duty 5 is a totally different game. World At War is made by Treyarch who made Call of Duty 3. Call of Duty 5 is made by Infinity Ward who made Call of Duty 2 and 4."
    what the hell. i know all this: Thrawn(me) said:
    "MB said:
    "It's not Call of Duty 5...it's Call of Duty: World at War.."
    I know, but I hate subtitles."
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    MB said:
    Sdodd412 said:
    "I disagree, I think it's terrible."
    mussbus999 said:
    "I completely agree with MB"
    Jayge said:
    "I disagree completely,

although I do like the weapons a lot.

Nothing else about the beta appeals to me."

I agree with 98% of what you guys said. The 2% deduction comes from the words in yellow.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

I think its just subpar, standing alone I think its a average shooter that can give you some fun, hence why I'm renting it just for some co-op when it comes out, but besides that..and compared to cod4(because you kinda have to compare it to cod4) its a step back in every aspect.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ieatlions

i want 2 like it but i think i prefer future to ww2
    and thats probbably since ive played 2 many ww2 shooters 

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ep_driver
    MB said:

I couldn't have put it better. It's just COD4 but with boring weapons. The only reason I'll be playing this game is because my friend at Activision hooks me up.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoelTGM

You thought the tanks were useless?  Wow, get in one and you can roll through the entire match racking up kills.  When close to death, jump out and take another tank, or jump out and continue your killing spree the old fashioned way.

Oh and, I like it.  GoW2 and COD5 for me.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well I am just finished after having a long session with it, (PC - improved Beta) . I don't think it's bad at all, in fact I think it's quite good even if some aspects are lame. I have to agree though that those fricking dogs are annoying. I am all for their inclusion but not with their current hit damage. The amount of times I have seen people take kills only to be ravaged from behind is comical. One shot should take them the fuck out. The tanks are cool though, I have racked up nice kill streaks using them and I feel they add positively to the gameplay dynamic.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    ajr123 said:
    "MB said:
    He's Right. Call of Duty 5 is a totally different game. World At War is made by Treyarch who made Call of Duty 3. Call of Duty 5 is made by Infinity Ward who made Call of Duty 2 and 4."
    No, It's pretty safe to assume that prior to coining the name "World At War", this game was referred to internally as CoD5, and that from now on the series is going to get rid of the standard numbering system all together.
    r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Well I am just finished after having a long session with it, (PC - improved Beta) . I don't think it's bad at all, in fact I think it's quite good even if some aspects are lame. I have to agree though that those fricking dogs are annoying. I am all for their inclusion but not with their current hit damage. The amount of times I have seen people take kills only to be ravaged from behind is comical. One shot should take them the fuck out. The tanks are cool though, I have racked up nice kill streaks using them and I feel they add positively to the gameplay dynamic."
    Agree
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By walreese55

The beta sucks. I mean, i hate the weapons. The maps are pretty bad, but the weapons! good god, this is the sequel to CoD4? THIS? the perks system is pretty much the same  aka stolen, so that's not bad. the additional classes per prestige is a good idea, but really isn't necessary. you can change your classes in 30 seconds, 10 classes is just overkill. but the killing stroke is juggernaut and martyrdom. wtf. WHAT. THE. FUCK. screw treyarch, ww2 has always and will always be stale, no matter how much you try to make it Cod4. I look forward to CoD5, or Cod6, or whatever the fuck is infinity ward's new game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.