Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Call of duty is Dying

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sparkyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ok let me get this straight if your going to complain go away good your gone great now it has come to my attention that the COD franchise sales have declined the past couple of years roughly after MW3 was released now don't get me wrong I love the franchise as they are fun games but with the release of new first person shooters like Titanfall or destiny COD has some major competition to be had as it's still the same game each time no matter how you look at it it's just they may add new features to move around and add new guns but the concept is just the same shoot the opposing team to gain points and win (Of course CTF and Demolition aren't like that but I mean the main game modes Like FFA or TDM or infected.)

And with the release of advanced warfare it seems like there copying Titanfall so what do you think is cod dying or not I would like to see you response.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

COD was dead after Black Ops. If you don't at least try to bring new things in, people will eventually lose interest. One form of multiplayer won't keep a franchise going forever.

That's my two cents.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

You mean that when you put out the same game every year less and less people will buy it? Who fucking knew.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You know, periods are a great thing. You can use them to divide your text into sentences. It greatly improves the reader's ability to comprehend what you're writing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

I'm sure the millions of units sold each year is a good indication that Call of Duty is in a definite decline.

You might be tired of Call of Duty, but each year there are millions of people who purchase it for the very first time and love it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Funny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@sparkyal said:

Ok let me get this straight

You put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up.

sparkyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I swear I've heard that before is it a song and if so can you put the link to it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think most of the general audience have kinda realized call of duty's declining sales. I think those who truly love call of duty will support that game no matter what. Even now you can still find people on servers for versions of that games multiplayer they like.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkyal said:

@yummylee: I swear I've heard that before is it a song and if so can you put the link to it.

It's Coconut.

Loading Video...

sparkyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: You mean the eleven year olds who rage when they get killed because they don't know how to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A dying CoD is still insanely popular. They're not breaking any records anymore, but they aren't exactly hurting either.

I get enough fun out of CoD to justify the purchase. Ghosts was the only one I couldn't get into. Advanced Warfare seems to tweak just enough to make it interesting again without changing the formula that people enjoy. Most games don't change that much between sequels. Shit, I've been playing Battlefield for 12 years. Granted, they don't release a new version every year, but the foundation has always been the same. There are enough people that love CoD like I love BF that don't want the formula to change. Sales will be slightly lower every year, but it'll be a while before CoD starts "dying".

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BigBoss1911

Call of Duty 4 was the peak of the series,with World at War being the last worthy successor. I honestly miss Call of Duty 2's simple,yet fun as hell online play. Starting with Ghosts,never buying another call of duty again.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As far as I'm concerned, Call of Duty was dead after Black Ops 1.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkyal said:

@humanity: You mean the eleven year olds who rage when they get killed because they don't know how to play.

I mean people who buy the game for the first time each year which is a widely encompassing demographic ranging from young teens all the way to regular adults.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh, maybe? Maybe not? Not sure what one gains from speculating this....in any case though, like some have already mentioned, it's still far away from going completely non-existant. Just like people who keep saying that World of Warcraft is dying, seem to not realize that still having near 7 million subscribers steamrolls over many other MMOs, not to mention that those numbers will probably hop up to 8-9 million with the release of the next expansion in November. I'll assume that'll be the case with Advanced Warfare as well.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's dead in the way World of Warcraft is dead. It might not be what it once was but it's still making money.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm betting Destiny has a good chance of outselling it this year, but personally this years rendition of Call of Duty is speaking to me more than Destiny. The Destiny beta didn't grab me like I had hoped.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ehh... no.

It is declining. Or, more accurately, it is back to less hyperbolic sales numbers. But it is far from dead... There are still a lot of people that will buy the next COD on release date and drop the previous one like they were disposable tissue papers.

I guess as the public grows, they become more savvy to realize there are other, perfectly valid options, for FPS action; and that the new COD is not really new...

But its still mad popular with a certain demographic...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a COD fan, but I highly doubt it's dying.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone saying that they add nothing new are annoying. The core game play remains somewhat the same, but there's an all new campaign, multiplayer maps and setting. If all you can do it complain there is nothing new, what would you have them change? Instead of just complaining it's the same every year.

People that complain that CoD hasn't changed in years do you even know what you want out of the franchise?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

I would really want it to die. Probably wont come soon enough though.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bemusedchunk

Any actual facts to back up this claim?

You know - evidence?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing stays on top forever. Not musicians, not movie franchises, not TV series, not game series. It was inevitable that COD would stop being top dog eventually. That doesn't mean it's dying, but it's fading back into the pack. It's an inevitable part of a moving culture. People saw its innovations (and MW1 really was innovative for a console shooter) copied, iterated, and built on them. Plus the team has already expended most of its creative energy and new versions are failing to stand out. The real issue is that Activision is built on a few massive hit franchises, so it needs to really hope that Destiny catches.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

Periods. They're useful.

Call of Duty is still a massively successful franchise, sure to make Activision's board of directors several million dollars richer again this year and the next and the next. Will it eventually stop making so much money? Sure, but not for a while.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the numbers CoD gets, I bet many other series would want to be 'dying' as well.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dying may be a bit extreme, Im not a massive COD fan but I think the new one looks pretty good.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Full stops. Are. Your friend.

Also, good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Titanfall just CoD with robots?

It seems silly to expect something to stay popular forever. If anything people should be jealous that the audience for the series stayed as strong and dedicated as it did. I know a handful of people who have bought CoD every year since 4 and generally have positive things to say about each iteration. I also don't expect all of those people to move on to other video games. I don't think Destiny is going to pick up what CoD dropped, but rather, the people leaving CoD are lost to the void in terms of factoring into sales, just as very few people leaving WoW move on to other MMOs.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

If I remember the numbers correctly, COD sales did not decline after MW3. Wasn't Black Ops II (the game after MW3) the best selling game in the franchise? Given the reception Ghosts got I'm not sure if it ever sold the same numbers BO2 did, but BO2 certainly was successful.

Destiny isn't out yet, and Titanfall didn't seem to be all that much of a hit, so listing them as major competitors is a bit weird, I think. Did Titanfall even reach 1 million sales? The numbers from march seem to imply it sold about 940k across all platforms ,and judging by how many play the game now, I'm not sure it had much of a tail in the months thereafter (apparently, numbers from last month said it reached 3 million copies by August 3, so I guess it did sell better than that. Still nowhere near even Ghosts' numbers though - which seems to have been around 14 million).

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

According to the internet, hasn't it been dying for like 5 years now or something? And isn't it always in like the top 3 best selling games of the year?

I genuinely don't understand the hate this franchise receives. Yes, it's very similar from year to year. What about it? That's what diehard fans of the series want. It's no different from Madden, FIFA, or any other game with yearly instalments. Start off with a solid core and just build around it every year. Sometimes the changes are drastic. Sometimes they aren't. Judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people are still okay with that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By veektarius

They've probably got 2 or 3 installments left in them. They've been mixing up the setting enough lately to keep making sales, and people want games to justify these new consoles - good choices still aren't exactly in great supply.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By splodge

@babychoochoo said:

According to the internet, hasn't it been dying for like 5 years now or something? And isn't it always in like the top 3 best selling games of the year?

I genuinely don't understand the hate this franchise receives. Yes, it's very similar from year to year. What about it? That's what diehard fans of the series want. It's no different from Madden, FIFA, or any other game with yearly instalments. Start off with a solid core and just build around it every year. Sometimes the changes are drastic. Sometimes they aren't. Judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people are still okay with that.

I don't necessarily think it is all hate for the franchise itself, I think it is a disconnection with the people who play COD and only COD. They are a different kind of player, and have a bad reputation as needlessly aggressive and abusive. I just re-installed MW2 recently, and played a few rounds of team deathmatch. IT had been a while, and I was somewhat rusty. Needless to say, the reception I received was.... negative. Good thing I am not an easily offended Muslim, black man or woman (Or a combination of all three).

EDIT - I play League of Legends, which also has a bad rep, but the abuse you get in that is usually related to how bad you are playing and just standard personal insults. In my experience racial epithets are pretty rare. They understand that that is pretty much an instant ban if reported.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By nightriff

Everything you said. We always see these threads but CoD always does extremely well. Sure it has fallen a bit but it obviously hasn't fallen that much if they keep doing the same thing and getting away with it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. Periods. Use them.

So, you're judging a franchise's success on how well the franchise sales do on Steam? Even though most of the games on sale came out upwards of 7 years ago?

Ok.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. Periods. Use them.

ALso, not trying to be a "Grammar nazi" but this is important. Most people will see your wall of text and not even bother reading it. Proper punctuation makes people take you 100% more seriouslier. (I made up that word and I love it.)

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD Ghosts is terrible!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD is like WoW. For whatever reason, Activision seems to end up with things that are adored by their fans, yet reviled by basically everyone else in their genre. Also things that even while in decline, are ridiculously huge, and make more money than whatever the next thing in the top sales list might be.

CoD will continue its decline, I think, as the console FPS trend falls back, and other games take its place. It's a cycle that's come full circle in the last 10-15 years. FPS games were king in the late 90s early 00s, and then lulled a bit, to explode with CoD 4.

Basically, as much hate as CoD gets, the fact remains that they're still the best in the business when it comes to multiplayer console shooters.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't miss Call of Duty, but I seriously doubt it's going anywhere just yet. Maybe in 5 years Activision will have moved on to something else, but this isn't dying. This is a minor cold.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, periods are a great thing. You can use them to divide your text into sentences. It greatly improves the reader's ability to comprehend what you're writing.

Haha, thank you. I was about to post about how punctuation and grammar are both great things, but you beat me to it by over an hour.

Seriously, you can post whatever you want, but for the love of god, at least proofread it before you post the damn thing, you'll be doing everyone a service. It's just one of those things where if there's too many spelling errors and a consistent lack of punctuation, I don't take the post seriously.

I like this post. I agree, I don't understand a LOT of the internet hate train. CoD, Battlefield, Justin Bieber, and all of those controversial things. It's alright to dislike them, but when it's constantly being hated upon to the point where I can't even look at a different website without it sprouting up, it starts to feel extremely petty and childish.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Humanity

@babychoochoo said:

Everything you said. We always see these threads but CoD always does extremely well. Sure it has fallen a bit but it obviously hasn't fallen that much if they keep doing the same thing and getting away with it.

Also unlike Madden or FIFA, COD has a brand new single player campaign each year and they're mostly pretty fun to play with a lot of cool action set pieces. No other first person shooters feels as much like a movie as CoD does.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Punctuation is dead too, I see.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By monkeyking1969

CoD will die when it stops selling 3x as much as the nearest competition. We can all look at figures that say, "Oww, this one sold less than last years...oh ho ho!!!" But the reality is CoD's sales blows out all the other games and the onlien seems sticky for keeping several million playing for months on end.

Love it, hate it, or be merely meh it, but this game series will only be dying when it stop embarrassing everyone else with its sales. A "percieved chink" in the armor is not good enough. Selling worse than itself, is not not a strong sign. But, show me an FPS that sells nearly as well, well then we can talk about the shape of the coffin.

No Caption Provided

I'd choose this coffin by Vic Fearn & Co Ltd - makers of custom coffins...no really that is a coffin. Somebody asked for THAT to be their coffin.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Call of Duty Games made from Infinity Ward since Modern Warfare 1 have been in decline. Treyarch has been killing it with both Black Op's games and the take Sledgehammer take seems super interesting and the kind of shake up the series needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Cool sentence, bro.

@breadfan said:

Punctuation is dead too, I see.

Punctuation is over!

Anyways. Despite putting out poorly received games for a few years (that still manage to score 90s despite reviewers being less positive about it than games that get 75s), I think they'll do just fine. Do they even have competition this winter, didn't Hardline get pushed?

If Call of Duty experiences a downturn, I'd like to see if the console/PC portion of the industry as a whole is experiencing a downturn.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do they even have competition this winter, didn't Hardline get pushed?.

The only possible competition is Destiny and that's also Activision so no matter what they win.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I'll still buy this years. It looks like it plays like BLOPS2.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Please at least attempt to make your posts readable. From the rules:

Poor language/grammar: This is an English-speaking forum and we expect people to communicate with something approximating the English language. Posting with bad grammar or punctuation will not go down well and such posts are subject to editing or removal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.