Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

"Halo Killer"

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

So with Killzone 3 coming out it got me to thinking of the days when KZ was coming out and how every one thought it would be a "Halo Killer"/ I remember that that phrase was a big thing and people cared about some game topoling Halo. There were articles about it and tons of forum post. Everyone used to be obsessed with the idea. So my point is, didn't COD4 come around and kill Halo? Yet I saw no one talk about Halo killers and it being not as popular as COD. Do we "need" a "COD Killer" now? 

Anyway why did people care about it so much back in the day but not say anything when it happened?

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

I think it had more to do with the idea of a platform exclusive.  Sony's "Halo killer." 

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By tobygw

I think it was a bigger deal because people thought that Killzone and Halo looked very similar. 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @EvilTwin said:
    " I think it had more to do with the idea of a platform exclusive.  Sony's "Halo killer."  "
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daveyo520
    @tobygw said:
    " I think it was a bigger deal because people thought that Killzone and Halo looked very similar.  "
    Maybe. I did however just google it for some old stories and it seems even today some guy at EA is calling Crysis 2 a Halo Killer. Even though it is on multiple platforms. 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, if you look at a game that is incredibly strong on a single platform then Halo is definately it. Call of Duty comes out and sells 12 million copies but that's spread across every platform that currently exists. Reach was the third best selling game of 2010 behind Black Ops and Madden. That's a huge thing to say for a console exclusive. Also, all of that money doesn't go directly back to Sony like Halo money goes back to Microsoft.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Slaker117

I thought there was actual marketing behind Killzone as "The Halo Killer". Like that was part of the official line or something. It seems kind of stupid though, I feel that if you have to sell something as "The ____ Killer" you already lost.

CoD isn't really considered a Halo killer because it's not a platform exclusive. Besides that, though it may have claimed Halo's #1 spot, Reach is doing just fine. I think now we can all see how stupid sentiments like that were.

Giraffeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Giraffeking

A "something killer" is pretty much the worst thing a game can be. It's used by stupid marketing people who like giving their games unrealistic expectations. The reason more people play COD than Halo is because call of duty actually improved the fps genre (at least in the eyes of the consumers), and didn't try to copy Halo's gameplay. I believe EA has called both BC2 and MoH COD killers, and its no surprise that the one that actually provided a different game experience proved to be more popular.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I don't see the need to go around killing everything all the time. Why can't we all just get along :'(

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Sweep: Cuz we all hate you Sweep, grrrrrrr!
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

When you use a term like "The xxx Killer" it must be platform exclusive because Microsoft/ Sony would not let a game that supposedly will destroy their #1 thing on their own console. That would make no sense.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The whole idea of a game killer is something promoted almost entirely by fanboys and marketing people. CoD4 didn't kill Halo, not by a very long shot, and I don't think any one game can kill a game that popular, but there are a lot of people who would like you to think it could.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Afroman269

I hate people that use the term halo killer. The thought of people saying CoD killer is equally as stupid.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Halo hasn't been on the top of the heap for years, killing Halo doesn't mean much.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @ryanwho:  I like how you say that as if Halo has been "killed'.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @ryanwho:  I like how you say that as if Halo has been "killed'. "
    My point is no one cared when it happened but wanted it to happen for so long. 

PS I love Halo and have nothing against it.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Because nothing went and killed Halo, that's probably why people stopped caring. Now there's just a lot more people who play these shooters, so the popularity seems pretty spread out. Gobs of people play both Halo and Call of Duty. Though yeah I found it amusing that people were saying that KZ1 was Sony's answer to Halo because yo that game was lame, you couldn't even jump. KZ2 was pretty awesome, but that first game was straight up garbage I found. 

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TBird13
    @Slaker117: Good point.  Halo Reach was the 3rd game this console generation to sell over 3 million copies in its first month. 
    Somehow, I don't think Bungie has anything to be depressed about.  
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Oh... kinda like how new MMO's always being called the next "WoW killer." With the "___ Killer" phrase, I wonder which contributes more? Is it from the community or from the people who make and produce it. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JJOR64

God.  I remember back in the day when everyone tried to "kill" Halo.  Those were the days.    :)

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zityz

I'm starting to hate the term "(game) Killer". It's becoming  pointless. It's not as if this new game will come out and everyone get amnesia and forgets about the other game/ will never play the other game/ can't play both. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.