Hey, Guys! There’s Another Call of Duty Coming, Too

• 149 results
Posted by patrickklepek (5981 posts) -

I should just create a template that gets updated once per year, you know?

Activision’s second quarter earnings call landed on the same day as the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, where it confirmed what we already knew: another Call of Duty will arrive 2012.

If Activision continues its swapped studio development cycle, it’ll be Treyarch up to bat next fall, presumably with a sequel to Black Ops. Whether that bit is true or not hasn’t been announced yet.

Treyarch has been hiring for engineers to bring its “hugely successful game to a new console.” Wii U, anyone?

Modern Warfare 3 is expected to be another massive hit for Activision, predicted to sell as many as nine million copies today.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5981 posts) -

I should just create a template that gets updated once per year, you know?

Activision’s second quarter earnings call landed on the same day as the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, where it confirmed what we already knew: another Call of Duty will arrive 2012.

If Activision continues its swapped studio development cycle, it’ll be Treyarch up to bat next fall, presumably with a sequel to Black Ops. Whether that bit is true or not hasn’t been announced yet.

Treyarch has been hiring for engineers to bring its “hugely successful game to a new console.” Wii U, anyone?

Modern Warfare 3 is expected to be another massive hit for Activision, predicted to sell as many as nine million copies today.

#2 Posted by Srah (86 posts) -

Great.

#3 Posted by SamFo (1547 posts) -

WHAT!?

#4 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Surprise!

Seems like every year, the same talk floats around the enthusiast press about how much longer this can last, then every year the damn thing sells more than the last. Activision doesn't have a compelling reason not to crank out another one.

#5 Posted by JacDG (2128 posts) -

9 million copies is a lot, like a lot a lot.

#6 Posted by JDillinger (158 posts) -

What a terrible, terrible game.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6622 posts) -

Oh man! A sequel to COD! Finally!

#8 Posted by ItalianStallion (188 posts) -

Groan...

#9 Posted by TatsurouXIII (652 posts) -

let's not pretend we didn't expect this. They're gonna keep making these long after we're all dead. Modern Warfare IN SPACE, anyone?

#10 Edited by believer258 (12069 posts) -

Treyarch should totally go back to making Spider Man games.

Seriously, if they had taken what they did right with Spider Man 2 and fixed what they did wrong, we would have an excellent Spider Man game on our hands. But no, they had to go off making the crappier versions of CoD. Not that World At War was bad, but the rest of their campaigns have just been so-so.

EDIT: Nevermind, they did, and we got Ultimate Spider Man and Spider Man 3. Neither of which I played.

#11 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

And I'm still reeling from that Assassin's Creed announcement.

#12 Posted by Applederp (116 posts) -

Cool story, Activision.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Really you announce the next one the day this one comes out wow.

#14 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

How is this news?

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4728 posts) -

Activision ... just stop. Please. Better yet, everyone who repeatedly buys these, please stop so they move on to something new.

#16 Posted by Rirse (273 posts) -

More shit from Activision.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

oh my god i am so mad

#18 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Think of CoD like a childs playground within a place you love.

It keeps annoying people away, it's not all bad.

#19 Posted by thehowlingman (55 posts) -

ugh this is disgusting. i hate that these games get made. and those stupid bros and jocks play them AARRGGGHHH why can't the world just embrace GOOD games, i'm so fucking mad right now i'm going to explode, time for some anime and final fantasy to calm my nerves i'm so alone

#20 Edited by bombHills (632 posts) -

@JDillinger said:

What a terrible, terrible game.

Terrible? Not really. Stale? Depends on the person. But yeah, this is not surprising.

#21 Posted by Baconbot (115 posts) -

What a shocker.

#22 Posted by NuDimon (169 posts) -

Who cares? :D

#23 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@SamFo said:

WHAT!?

I am shocked and appalled.

#24 Edited by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

Hooray! I can keep making my last purchase in the franchise obsolete, even though I only play the multiplayer!

... That's what I would say if I still played these games, at least.

#25 Posted by Hameyadea (351 posts) -

Like I wrote for Assassin Creed: Revelation: *tries to put a surprised face* wow, really?

#26 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -

PLEASE. don't.

#27 Posted by Crono (2697 posts) -

You have heard of puppy mills? Now there are cod mills.

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

#28 Posted by AlmostSwedish (607 posts) -

I love how everyone hates this series now. It's not enough to ignore it, you have to actively hate it.

#29 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

whats messed up is i didn't know mw3 was coming out today untill yesterday. my focus is on skyrim.

#30 Edited by LobsterVendetta (116 posts) -

Huh, this along with that Assassins Creed announcement give me a feeling of Deja Vu. Not that I have any real problem with these games, considering that I don't play either of them, but it feels a little weird that this might make it 3 years in a row where towards the end of the year there is a new Call of Duty and a new Assassins Creed. (That is, assuming that these come out during the end of next year)

For the fans of these series, wouldn't this be a case of "too much of a good thing"?

#31 Posted by spiceninja (3064 posts) -

I'm just wondering what Activision is going to do once these games stop selling like they have been. I think it's peaked with MW3 and it's all just downhill from here.

#32 Posted by Jolt92 (1565 posts) -

POW Block, anyone?

#33 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

oh Activision, milking a series and killing it, CoD stopped being fun after 3

#34 Posted by Jawshua (268 posts) -

Dammit.

#35 Posted by cleanitupjohny (18 posts) -

WHAT!!!! SINCE WHEN DID THEY START MAKING THEM EVER YEAR????

#36 Posted by Tahnit (140 posts) -

The assassins creed announcment really didnt upset me as much as another call of duty. I LOVE story based epics in games. The same trite multiplayer in call of duty however gets old and the story isnt very great.

#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I can't wait for Modern Warfare 4 in 2013.. It can't get here soon enough! <3 

#38 Posted by wafflez (529 posts) -

This just won least surprising news story of the year!

#39 Posted by chickdigger802 (502 posts) -

wii U sounds like a stretch.

3ds and/or vita sounds more likely.

#40 Posted by Mystyr_E (1201 posts) -

Being lactose intolerant....I think all this CoD milking is starting to give me the shits

#41 Posted by wsowen02 (324 posts) -

You guys notice how Klepek has started trying to write sassy headlines like Alex does, except he's not funny like Alex is?

#42 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot said:

And I'm still reeling from that Assassin's Creed announcement.

#43 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I never saw this one coming. That said, I'm willing to bet that Black Ops will be the peak (in terms of sales) for the franchise.

#44 Posted by Deadmanforking (579 posts) -

MY MIND IS BLOWN!

#46 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Please stop buying these games you guys...

#47 Posted by boylie (305 posts) -

GET. THE FUCK. OUT. They're making ANOTHER one?!?!?? CRAZY.

#48 Posted by Humanity (9820 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: why?

#49 Posted by JoeyRavn (5002 posts) -

I'll say the same I said in the AC topic: I'm totally fine with this.

#50 Posted by bybeach (4967 posts) -

@Mystyr_E said:

Being lactose intolerant....I think all this CoD milking is starting to give me the shits

suprised you're still alive....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.