What are the chances of Steam having a sale?

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Now that we're a couple of weeks away from the release of Call of Duty Black Ops. What do you think are the chances of Steam doing a sale on previous Call of Duty games? I've had my fill of hatred toward the Call of Duty series before and now I've come to realize if the game is good then why have hatred towards it. My only problem right now is that the game can't be $29.99 - 59.99 forever. That's why I'm hoping there will some sort of sale. Hopefully something more than 33% off. One can dream, right?

#2 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Maybe in like a year. I don't think I've even seen COD4 for under $30. 

#3 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I can't see Activision allowing a big sale. Your best bet would be buying the disc copy second hand, that way it would be really cheap (I bought WaW a while back for £12) and Activision get nothing.

#4 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" I can't see Activision allowing a big sale. Your best bet would be buying the disc copy second hand, that way it would be really cheap (I bought WaW a while back for £12) and Activision get nothing. "
Oh yeah, Good idea. Time to hit up Amazon. Hopefully I can find MW2 cheap also since I would have to get it brand new to take full control of Steamworks.
#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Christmas is your best bet. 
 
Don't buy anything on Steam until Christmas now, trust me.

#6 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @zudthespud said:
" I can't see Activision allowing a big sale. Your best bet would be buying the disc copy second hand, that way it would be really cheap (I bought WaW a while back for £12) and Activision get nothing. "
Oh yeah, Good idea. Time to hit up Amazon. Hopefully I can find MW2 cheap also since I would have to get it brand new to take full control of Steamworks. "
If you don't already have CoD 4 and WaW, I'd go for those, they had dedicated servers and all of the DLC was free. There is still a huge online community in both of the older games.
#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Christmas is your best bet.  Don't buy anything on Steam until Christmas now, trust me. "
Oooohhhhh... too late. I just bought Burn Zombie Burn because of the Halloween sale.
#8 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @zudthespud said:
" I can't see Activision allowing a big sale. Your best bet would be buying the disc copy second hand, that way it would be really cheap (I bought WaW a while back for £12) and Activision get nothing. "
Oh yeah, Good idea. Time to hit up Amazon. Hopefully I can find MW2 cheap also since I would have to get it brand new to take full control of Steamworks. "
If you don't already have CoD 4 and WaW, I'd go for those, they had dedicated servers and all of the DLC was free. There is still a huge online community in both of the older games. "
Oh sweet. Now, are we talking about constantly full servers?
#9 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

I highly doubt Activision would allow a sale on Call of Duty games right before the new big title in the series comes out.  They don't want to compete with themselves.

#10 Posted by Lukeweizer (2608 posts) -
@ch13696: It might eventually. But not for like... 6 months, at least?
#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

The frequency, scope and pricing of the Steam sales is determined by a number of D20 rolls Gabe Newell makes in his office every day.

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.