Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Will There Be A Call Of Duty MMO?

• 128 results
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Sooty

This news is like over a week old, I'm not one to be picky about this site reposting news but seriously; GOD DAMN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@Donos said:

" Let's see how much more hate I can garner by trying to argue a point...

@Jethuty:   I like to think I'm none of the above. I've yet to see anyone apply an ounce of logic trying to explain why a subscription based CoD must be bad, and why good business practices make Bobby Kotick evil. If you would like to try and argue either of these points rather than just flaming me, you're perfectly welcome to.

@Korwin: I suppose "free" is the wrong term to use, but I think you understand my meaning. A $10-$15 subscription for a constant stream of new maps, modes, and progression content (more levels, guns, perks) sounds pretty good to me, and more appealing than just buying a couple of $15 map packs.

@DiegoBittermen: Yes, a good business decision to pursue a subscription-based business model. I'm actually not sure what you're trying to argue here. As I said, if you don't want this game, you don't have to buy it. If you feel that this game is a key part of an evolving genre that you cannot bear to miss out on, then obviously you do want it. Or you could just be trolling, but I don't feel that blindly insulting people is condusive to an informative and meaningful debate. "

The fact that you cant see that this is just another way for kotick to squeeze more money out of the consumers, is just beyond me.

"
    Kotick, dicussing the state of the gaming industry: If you look at how much volatility there is in the economy, and depending on your view, about the macroeconomic picture... We have a real culture of thrift. ... The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought into Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out making video games. I think we've definitely been able to instill in the culture the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we're in today. And so, generally while people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression. And I think that, as a result, you have people that are very mindful of their costs. They are mindful of the value they have to deliver."

is this the first you have heard of kotick?
    Avatar image for lordruperteverton
    LordRupertEverton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dont want to have to pay for this

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Donos
    @Jethuty:  Most products, including almost all video games, are a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer.  I'm still waiting for you to explain why this is worse.

As for your selection of  Kotick's infamous quote, I'd encourage you to take 5 seconds and actually think about it, rather than blindly quoting it out of context. Here's the context of that quote:

Kotick, speaking to a bunch of German bankers who had no interest in the video games themselves, was trying to reassure them that Activision was past the pot and hot tubs era, and was a reasonable choice for investment. He did this by explaining to them that Activision is mindful of the global recession, and tries to keep its costs low to avoid going bankrupt in such uncertain times.

Now that you have some context, would you like to formulate an actual argument?
    Avatar image for completeinanity
    CompleteInanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By CompleteInanity

Kotick is a flaming sack of douche.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Faint

the problem i have with mmo's is that they are basically one in the same. you'd think that the term 'massive multiplayer online' wouldn't restrict the gameplay so much as to having a party of 5 with classes, raiding dungeons etc, world map in the top right corner yada yada (of course these sorts of things cant directly apply to a game like call of duty) and i just wish someone would go out of their way to chuck in some innovation to the genre. i was just thinking last night how a real ff mmo would be more like regular ff games, but where your friends are the other members of your 6 or so party you play the game through with, rather than trying to be like everquest.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By kermoosh
    @paisan13 said:
    " For me, i would just go with another game than CoD if they tried to get me to pay monthly for playing. The question is, what will the larger crowd do? any answers? ^_^ "
    i think everyone will just keep playing cod 4 and mw2, no console gamer wants to pay a subscription for an fps when there are others such as battlefiled
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Donos said:

" @Jethuty:  Most products, including almost all video games, are a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer.  I'm still waiting for you to explain why this is worse.  As for your selection of  Kotick's infamous quote, I'd encourage you to take 5 seconds and actually think about it, rather than blindly quoting it out of context. Here's the context of that quote:  Kotick, speaking to a bunch of German bankers who had no interest in the video games themselves, was trying to reassure them that Activision was past the pot and hot tubs era, and was a reasonable choice for investment. He did this by explaining to them that Activision is mindful of the global recession, and tries to keep its costs low to avoid going bankrupt in such uncertain times.  Now that you have some context, would you like to formulate an actual argument? "

im still trying to figure out why you are defending a guy that promotes overpricing, massive firing spree's because of differences, and a guy who sees franchieses as money trees. Basicly he strangles creativity, in order to gain profit.

Seriously am i being trolled? even through you disguise your post in neat wrapping, i still feel like im being trolled.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#109  Edited By halberdierv2

no, just no.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By zityz

No thanks! I'll just stick to Borderlands for Multiplayer co-op shoot 'n' loot thank you very much.  So sick of war games.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Donos
    @Jethuty:  What I have a problem with, and what I'm trying to defend Kotick from, are the bullshit personal attacks everybody's so keen to throw around based on incorrect facts, or no facts at all.  If you don't like Kotick's business pratices, that's fair, but try and remember that the guy is doing his job and is, in fact, a human being.

Now, if you don't like what his job entails, or how he carries it out, then please go ahead and try to do something about it. Set up a boycott, write a letter, try and explain right here why Kotick, and Activision as a whole, should change. Screaming bloody murder, on the other hand, just wastes everyone's time and devalues  the arguments of those responsible people who actually are trying to change things. I'd gladly have a balanced and productive debate about Activision as a whole, but nobody seems interested in that.

Finally, I know there's nothing I can say to convince people that I am or am not trolling. I'll just say that if trying to calmly present a reasoned view that happens to contradict the popular opinion is trolling, well, that's a sad state of affairs.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By Rasgueado

I can't believe there is someone out there spit shining this tired old rhetoric and getting away with it. His language is so murky it borders on being syntactically meaningless. Not to mention the fact that his business analysis is thin enough to poke holes in with a cotton swab.

Avatar image for supashadow1lama
    SUPAshadow1Lama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SUPAshadow1Lama

I would never pay to play call of duty i just keep playing the one i already have for free 
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#114  Edited By ptys

Classic Activision, counting your chickens before they hatch e.g. Guitar Hero 1-5!

DARTH_WADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By DARTH_WADE

Won't get my money I'll just have to get over my addiction if this comes to be. ....Assholes.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By penguindust

I doubt this will work under the standard monthly subscription business model even though I do think something like it will try to be implemented eventually.   I'm not sure Kotick understands his audience to the extent he believes.  To begin with, gamers are a fickle bunch and what's hot today is a has been tomorrow.  Already gamers are migrating away from COD to BBC2 and there are lots of other shooters coming in the 2010-2011.  Secondly, gamers play COD to spend time with their friends, meaning all of them would have to subscribe to this COD service.  Comparing levels and rewards between friends is the draw to the rank system.  If your friends list can't join in, players will seek out games where they can play with their friends.  The only other option is to make new friends that are just COD friends and that seems unlikely.  

What could a COD MMO bring to the gamer that can't be provided through current channels?  Online multiplayer shooters tend to stick with a few popular maps, so a large evolving battlefields doesn't really suit the tastes of competitive multiplayer gamers.  There are other games for that type of play and they don't seem to hold up over time as players migrate off to other titles.  So are players willing to pay $15 a month for more stats, costumes and the hope that a good new map will drop every so often?  With modern MMO's there is a constant carrot on a stick reward if the player continues for just a little longer.  I don't see that existing in a competitive shooter.  There are other aspects to MMOs such as crafting, auctions, and boss battles which would have no place in a COD game.

What I think some of this might be is Kotick wanting to position Activision to be able to take a percentage of XBL (and later PSN) revenues based on their games' popularity in the next generation of consoles. "We’ve heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft’s] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty...we don’t really participate financially in that income stream."  I question whether Bobby Kotick is really interested in creating the next Global Agenda, or if he just wants royalties from the big two for publishing a successful product.  It's the "cake and eat it too" principle.

lewigi2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By lewigi2012

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it was turned into an MMOFPS. But, I wouldn't join. 
    Before MW2, COD2 was the most recent Call of Duty I had played and, MW2 had the same old boring, 6-8 hour campaign and the multiplayer was great fun, but wears off after a while (especially if you're like me and can't seem to get better at playing games online =/). I could see this being the same problem for me if it were to become an MMOFPS.

ItsAJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ItsAJackal

"We’ve heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft’s] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty,” Kotick told FT. “We don’t really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it’s not our network." 

Translation:  "They should be paying US to play!  Not MS!  Waaahhhh!  Let's make an MMO!"
    DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By DarthB

if cod went subscription i don't think i'd ever play cod again.  why? because i'm sure if they did this there would be other companies that would still release their shooters without a subscription charge, so i'd get those instead.  so, here's hoping that battlefield never does this, besides that heroes game.

redxavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By redxavier

Donos - I think the issue is that many don't agree that this is in fact a good business practice (there's no successful precedent for example), which is why they accuse him of being a greedy arsehole. Further, Kotick appears to understand little about gamers and seems oblivious to the extremely negative reaction he's getting and will continue to get if he keeps harping on about this new business model. That he presides over a company that fires employees who are due substantial monies results in an impression of a person who actually isn't making good decisions for his company (at least not in the long term). Alienating your customer is never a good business practice.

Is Kotick really trying to argue that the gold subcriptions have more than doubled since his COD game came out? What utter bullshit. Again, Kotick appears to be a man living in another reality.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By c1337us

I don't play the multiplayer and I am becoming less interested in playing the single player with each passing game as well.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

What's next, subscriptions for singleplayer games?

Kotick, go to hell and burn you money hungry fucktard.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By otzlowe

I like the people who try to focus on the fact that Bobby is a "good businessman," as though it overrides the fact that turning a game format into an MMO with the purpose of making money (and nothing else, I assure you) makes him greedy as shit. 

Video games are indeed ways to make money, but some companies actually try to make the purchase of the consumer worthwhile, as is not the case here.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Klaimore

Well if a company sees a great income on one of their products then yeah they are going to try to squeeze as much money as possible. But the only reason modern warfare 2 was that awesome is all just because of Infinity Ward so what makes him think that future call of duty's will be just as good or even get close to how Modern Warfare was. My GUESS is going to be that like guitar hero this franchise is going to be driven into the ground and just become boring, but its only a guess lets see what the next couple of years brings us. Oh and another guess only pay to play for call of duty I'm guessing its going to be done for the next call of duty  2011

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#125  Edited By tariqari

If you thought GREED couldn't be anymore obvious...

slyely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By slyely

The  bad thing is that I could see this working. With the amount of followers Modern Warfare has they could off just enough to persuade people to pay a monthly fee. For example, quote a "free downloadable content" onto the subscription fee offering maps and other goodies for subscribers. Let's just say they ask 10 bucks a month, with new maps coming out every 3 months. In this situation they would not only be getting the 15 bucks for the maps but also squeezing out another 15 bucks for just using their services and other odd cheap goodies to dangle the carrot. Unfortunately I think people would fall for this tactic especially if they love their Modern Warfare. 

I for one will not be paying for any subscription fee for a online shooter. At least MMORPGs offer MUCH more with there subscription fees.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By one_2nd

How is Treyarch talking? They SUCK at making CoD online. Who would pay Treyarch exclusively for their games? An MMO sounds cool, but no one's gonna pay a monthly subscription to just play CoD. I'll keep playing cod4 if i have to. They are so greedy. 

dawgpound89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By dawgpound89

World of Warfare

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#129  Edited By leebmx

Kotick say's that 60% of Live subscribers sign up becuase of COD - Maybe. But how many extra copies of his game get sold becuase Microsoft provides this service. Think they'd sell so many copies of COD just for a 6hour single player?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.