Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Ye ol' Camping question.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Twisted_Scot

*First off I put this in the COD forum purely because COD was the game I was playing while thinking about these questions but are not specific to the franchise (or even genre in some cases). Just for reference I'm not a fan boy or hater so don't just post crap about COD or BF being better than one and other etc as there's plenty of other post for that.*

While playing most FPS online I always come across at least one person who loves camping. They go to the same place every time they re-spawn and just sit facing the doorway. My question is why? What enjoyment do  you get out of this experience? It's not exclusive to "noobs" either, I see guys on their multiple prestige pulling the same thing. I decided to give it a go and find out...I lasted 2 mins before I was bored rigid. I'm not complaining as hell I'll take an easy grenade kill while passing as readily as the next guy but it does leave me curious. Are you a camper? If so what makes you use that particular play style? Ive also noticed that most of the time their K/D ratio is horrible (in a negative way) so I can asume it's not for XP gain. It's not my play style and I'm not going to fault you for it but I just don't get it. 

PS, not really including snipers as much in this but feel free to throw in your views.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

If you camp for long enough you will get kills. But its a matter of seconds until you die after the first kill unless the other team is completely idiotic. Thats camping a doorway anyways.

You can also consider running up and down one side of the map camping, and thats extremely effective, but way more involved than just watching a doorway. Thats really how your supposed to play most modern FPS games, I never do it because its boring.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

I hate campers, when playing those games I like to keep on moving, I may pass by the place where enimies spawn but I won't stay there.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By frankxiv

i just run forward until i'm dead, sometimes taking someone else down with me

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Mikemcn: True but generally it seem they are killed more than they kill. I dont mind when people "camp" by running up and down an area so much as on occasion I do that myself after the initial kill because I know they are coming back for me so ill move around positions that i still have a clear enough view of where I was.

@Hizang: Yeah hanging around where people spawn is just cheap but I can see how sometimes its not as avoidable. The spawning is so bad in COD:BO still. Especially when you spawn in the middle of the enemy's spawn point at that time. I have to keep moving around the map or i get bored, even on games like HQ's. Not a very team player thing to do but I don't wander far :)
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TanoPrime

The rage that you hear through the mic as the SAME guy dies 10 times in the SAME spot that I have decided to camp in is sweet music to my ears, all day, every day.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Marcsman
    @TanoPrime:  You'll get yours camper.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vodun

I don't see the problem people have with "campers" if they're always in the same fucking spot, toss a grenade in there and kill him.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @TanoPrime said:
    The rage that you hear through the mic as the SAME guy dies 10 times in the SAME spot that I have decided to camp in is sweet music to my ears, all day, every day.
    So you do it to annoy people? I can see why that could be amusing I do love listening to a little rage over live from time to time but don't you want to run about? Do you buy map packs, if so isn't it better to use the whole map instead of 1 corner since you paid for it? Dont people just grenade you when they know where you are?
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @onimonkii: Hey at least you taking as many points as your giving away :)
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By metalmoog

I've never understood it myself either. I honestly don't care about my K/D ratio as much as I do my fun ratio. Sitting in the corner the whole match pointing my gun at the door isn't what I paid $60 to experience.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twitchey

If I feel like being annoying I will camp. 
    On Convoy for Black Ops (S&D) I sat in the diner the entire game because I was doing something else at the time and I ended up with 14-0 as my score.
    5 seconds after the game someone sends me a message "FUCKIN CAMPER!" I sent him a message saying "Yo dawg, I'm MLG" 

Greatest game of my time in CoD.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TanoPrime
    @Twisted_Scot

That's just it. I annoy people just by playing the game "normal."  Most people don't like losing so I'm already annoying just by beating them anyway.  That's just a fact of life.  But this is the fun part about camping that some don't seem to get.  If I kill you 10 times in the same spot , my man, you would be in the wrong.  I'm merely doing what is effective at that time (and the rage makes me giggle) while you are engaging in some type of brain fart by commiting to beat me in an PROVEN ineffective way.  Now, after you nade the spot or kill me enough, I'll move on as that spot is no longer effective.  If I stayed there, then I'm the retard.  In a deathmatch game, go for what works and if your opponent is allowing you to camp rape them, put the rubber on and have at it.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Twitchey: LOL yeah I love the random message people send even if you don't camp. I was playing Array TDM the other day and killed one guy all over teh map with the FN-FAL and got a message telling me I was a gay camper (or an equally sophisticated message). Have camped at a door while eating or getting a drink to be fair.

@MetalMoog: Yeah while I agree fun is always the most important thing I just dont get the reason people would camp, it cant be for winning if their K/D is 6 - 23. as for the $60 to camp thing, totally agree. You may as well be playing house of the dead or something.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @TanoPrime: I can see why that would work if they are dumb enough to keep running into the same room. I bet that level of stupidity happens quite a bit with some people. You may get me once or twice but either I'll nade the shit out of that room or let someone else go in first :) But you are right about people who scream about campers but keep doing the same thing again and again without figuring out its not the best way to approach the situation.
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TanoPrime
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    @TanoPrime: I can see why that would work if they are dumb enough to keep running into the same room. I bet that level of stupidity happens quite a bit with some people. You may get me once or twice but either I'll nade the shit out of that room or let someone else go in first :) But you are right about people who scream about campers but keep doing the same thing again and again without figuring out its not the best way to approach the situation.

Pretty much.  I can only camp people who allow me to camp them.  After I'm flushed out, I'm running/gunning/dying like everyone else.
    SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SockLobster

Killstreaks are just one of the many reasons why camping is the best strategy in CoD

Also I play Search which is the best mode for rage and I camp in Blops but in MW2 I used to play Shee Roller with my buddies and we'd all go riot shield and throwing knives with scavenger and oh boy I have some fucking great memories from that. MW2 owns.

jimjimman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jimjimman

I was a camper when I was playing CoD 4 & WaW, but I did throw some run and gun in to mix things up every so often.. One thing that always bothered me was when people would complain that camping takes no skill. Camping requires a lot of patience and situational awareness. It requires you to be aware of all entrances, walls that can be shot through, windows that make you visible to snipers, and to know the prime spots on each map (which in turn requires you to know each map in detail). So yeah, while that play style might not require the quickdraw skill of a run and gunner, it does take strategic skill to do properly. And to me that is fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.