Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 29, 2003

The first entry in the critically-acclaimed military first-person shooter series, Call of Duty puts players in the boots of three Allied soldiers in three different campaigns of World War II.

No.0010 Call of Duty

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0010 Call of Duty 

No Caption Provided

The original Call of Duty was a game I thought could never actually exist. It wasn't the fact that a WWII game was finally showing other sides of the conflict with British and Russian levels. It wasn't the ironsights or being able to go prone or even that it had blood in it which was strangely absent from the Medal of Honor games. What made it so great was that half the missions in the game were taken straight out of well known films and TV shows. Scenes that I saw on TV and thought "I wish someone would make a video game like this! Not WWII this, literally exactly this!", and Infinity Ward did! 

No Caption Provided
    Playing through the game gave me the best kind of  Deja Vu. Attacking the artillery pieces on D-Day was straight out of Band of Brothers. The Russian river crossing was a carbon copy of Enemy at the Gates. Capturing and defending Pegasus Bridge was the mirror image of The Longest Day. It also didn't hurt that was probably the best shooter around at the time. It took the best parts of all other shooters at the time and polished them to within an inch of their lives. Coming back to it now, its impressive how familiar it all feels compared to modern COD games. Not everything is there. There is no sprint, no dedicated grenade key and no regenerating health. I frequently found myself cresting a hill ever so slightly to try and get a shot at a machine gunner only to instantly die because I hadn't been remembered to run over every enemy corpse looking for med-kits for the last gunfight or two.  

No Caption Provided
    The missions in the game span most of the conflict, starting with D-day then jumping around to notable events of the war, culminating in the Russian assault on the Reichstag in Berlin. The campaign splits its self up quite nicely with each nation largely following a pattern through all of their missions. The Russian levels will have you surrounded by hundreds of unfortunate comrades as you attempt to overwhelm the German invaders through sheer numbers. The American missions tend to focus on smaller operations most of which are the result of you parachuting behind enemy lines to attack an objective. The British missions start out looking quite similar to the American ones only with more impressive facial hair but quickly turn to more espionage based and solo missions. These do suffer slightly as the enemy AI seems to be balanced out by the presence of targets other then just the player so the difficulty does jump slightly during these stages. 

No Caption Provided
    I actually played through all the Infinity Ward WWII era Call of Duty games recently just before MW3 came out. I had intended to play Modern Warfare one and two as well but I ran out of time. They all hold up very well and don't require any real nostalgia to enjoy them, though I'm sure that wouldn't hurt ;) 
    hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0010 Call of Duty 

No Caption Provided

The original Call of Duty was a game I thought could never actually exist. It wasn't the fact that a WWII game was finally showing other sides of the conflict with British and Russian levels. It wasn't the ironsights or being able to go prone or even that it had blood in it which was strangely absent from the Medal of Honor games. What made it so great was that half the missions in the game were taken straight out of well known films and TV shows. Scenes that I saw on TV and thought "I wish someone would make a video game like this! Not WWII this, literally exactly this!", and Infinity Ward did! 

No Caption Provided
    Playing through the game gave me the best kind of  Deja Vu. Attacking the artillery pieces on D-Day was straight out of Band of Brothers. The Russian river crossing was a carbon copy of Enemy at the Gates. Capturing and defending Pegasus Bridge was the mirror image of The Longest Day. It also didn't hurt that was probably the best shooter around at the time. It took the best parts of all other shooters at the time and polished them to within an inch of their lives. Coming back to it now, its impressive how familiar it all feels compared to modern COD games. Not everything is there. There is no sprint, no dedicated grenade key and no regenerating health. I frequently found myself cresting a hill ever so slightly to try and get a shot at a machine gunner only to instantly die because I hadn't been remembered to run over every enemy corpse looking for med-kits for the last gunfight or two.  

No Caption Provided
    The missions in the game span most of the conflict, starting with D-day then jumping around to notable events of the war, culminating in the Russian assault on the Reichstag in Berlin. The campaign splits its self up quite nicely with each nation largely following a pattern through all of their missions. The Russian levels will have you surrounded by hundreds of unfortunate comrades as you attempt to overwhelm the German invaders through sheer numbers. The American missions tend to focus on smaller operations most of which are the result of you parachuting behind enemy lines to attack an objective. The British missions start out looking quite similar to the American ones only with more impressive facial hair but quickly turn to more espionage based and solo missions. These do suffer slightly as the enemy AI seems to be balanced out by the presence of targets other then just the player so the difficulty does jump slightly during these stages. 

No Caption Provided
    I actually played through all the Infinity Ward WWII era Call of Duty games recently just before MW3 came out. I had intended to play Modern Warfare one and two as well but I ran out of time. They all hold up very well and don't require any real nostalgia to enjoy them, though I'm sure that wouldn't hurt ;) 
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tmthomsen

Nice write-up. Call of Duty is surely a classic game.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grissefar

Still one of my favorite intros. It's wierd that it wasn't that popular at the time and that EA still called the shots with their shitty Medal of Honor franchise. Thankfully that's changed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.