What do you think about a "dueling" concept for this game?

#1 Posted by MB (12065 posts) -

I looked through the existing concepts and I didn't really find anything that I thought would be appropriate. I'm talking about the dueling "minigames" that happen throughout Bound in Blood where you have to move your character left and right and control the position of his gun hand, then draw when the bell tolls and shoot your adversary before he shoots you.

I know this has been done in other games, so maybe this is already covered under another concept and I'm just not seeing it. Any input? I don't want the points or anything (I already have plenty of illegitimate points from testing) but I thought it would be a cool addition to the dB if not already in there.

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Ultimately wouldn't it just be considered a mini-game? If so, I'm not sue how appropriate it would be to have a page for unique/popular ones. 

#3 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Is it any similar to the mechanic in the first game? or the stand-offs in stranglehold?? i have the first game here so im gonna check that out in a second, but seeing if either have those have an appropriate concept assigned now - 

Ok just checked and the only conecpts tagged in original juarez and strangle hold are Dual Wielding, and Wilhelm scream- no appropriate dual/standoff concept - i guess one should be created then?

But then again -seeing juarez 'showdown' concept its a lot more to it thean strangleholds standoff mechanic which is literally just lean left/right and aim a reticule - if a concept is created would stranglehold still qualify?
#4 Posted by MB (12065 posts) -

There is also a similar mechanic to the standoffs of Stranglehold in Bound in Blood, I think it's called "Cooperative Concentration Mode" in this game. The dueling is different.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@MB said:
" There is also a similar mechanic to the standoffs of Stranglehold in Bound in Blood, I think it's called "Cooperative Concentration Mode" in this game. The dueling is different. "
Ah - so if im understanding this correctly- that leaves 2 different 'methods' within bound in blood - one similar to stranglehold, and the duelling mode itself. So this narrows it down to either 
A) leaving both modes under the mini game concept and leaving it at that
B) Creating a showdown concept and branching all 3 from both games under the one
C) Having an individual concept, one featuring the duelling an one featuring the concentration mode and standoff

Not too sure on this one, they are technicaly still mini games, however they are also pretty different than the usual - push the on screen prompt in time when it flashes 
#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

There was a very similar feature in Red Dead Revolver, where you would have moments where you'd stand off against one (or more) character and have to grab your gun, pull it out, and then aim all of your shots before time runs out/you get killed. I think a "dueling" concept would make perfect sense.

#7 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@Kush said:
" There was a very similar feature in Red Dead Revolver, where you would have moments where you'd stand off against one (or more) character and have to grab your gun, pull it out, and then aim all of your shots before time runs out/you get killed. I think a "dueling" concept would make perfect sense. "
So you reckon russle up a 'duelling' concept then push all the aforementioned duelling modes under its umb-er-ella-ella-ella eh eh eh?
#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14349 posts) -

A duelling concept would make perfect sense. Although it should probably be called "Gun Duel", because the term "Duelling" is a bit ambiguous, and could include any fight between two people.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I think...I'll just wait for Red Dead Redemption.  = D

#10 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

#11 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

The Original Red Dead Revolver had something very similar, so there's at least another game to connect. Might want to check Red Dead's concepts to see if it already exists though.

#12 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6103 posts) -

I think it'd work fine to have a dueling concept.  Weren't there a couple of FMV-based games back in the early-to-mid nineties that had a dueling feature?  I want to say Dust had it, but it's been over a decade since I've played it.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"

I think it'd work fine to have a dueling concept.  Weren't there a couple of FMV-based games back in the early-to-mid nineties that had a dueling feature?  I want to say Dust had it, but it's been over a decade since I've played it.

"
Yeah, Dust had it. If we are thinking of the same game that is.
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

can we add videos to concept pages? i recorded some of those duelling boss 'mini-games' 

#15 Edited by MB (12065 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" can we add videos to concept pages? i recorded some of those duelling boss 'mini-games'  "
No - why don't you make a short dueling guide for Bound in Blood and embed the videos within that?
Moderator Online
#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MB said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" can we add videos to concept pages? i recorded some of those duelling boss 'mini-games'  "
No - why don't you make a short dueling guide for Bound in Blood and embed the videos within that? "
me? make a guide? hmm o_O
#17 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Dueling page?  Sure.  Even Dust had a duel in it.

#18 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" Dueling page?  Sure.  Even Dust had a duel in it. "
I loved that game when it first came out.
#19 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -
@CL60:  I still replay it every few years.  If I could find my copy of the Titanic game, I'd replay that too.
#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" @CL60:  I still replay it every few years.  If I could find my copy of the Titanic game, I'd replay that too. "
I would probably play it too, but I lost it and I don't feel like finding a place to download it. I've never played the Titanic game though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.