Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 21, 2013

The fourth entry in Techland's Call of Juarez franchise returns to an American Old West setting, telling the story of bounty hunter Silas Greaves.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Thoughts?

rye256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I posted this seven hours earlier in a different, but probably wrong, section of the forums. I have deleted that post and moved it here.

I was really unsure if this game would be worth the price. I played it on Xbox 360 and now I wish I had played it on PC. Not because of any flaws, but because parts of it were just beautiful! I stopped three or four times just to admire the view. Not only was this game worth the asking price for me, and I have almost no money left for the month, seriously, I have $60 left for the month, but I really enjoyed the story and the gameplay.

It reminded me, initially, of Mad Dog McCree, but it plays with how stories from the old west were embellished or suppressed in the telling. I played on Hard and it was, at times, as promised, Hard. I died a lot. I probably will go back and play through again using different weapons and also check out the two other modes. I thought the tone of the game was appropriate for the "content" and "experience." (sorry, had to do it)

The only things that got frustrating were getting used to the Duel controls and unless you use your "Special" it can be very hard to see the enemies until they move positions. On easier difficulties you soak up damage and can afford to look around, but on the harder difficulties I died fast enough to not know what killed me a few times. There is a helpful instruction during the loading screens that tells you that the location of the bullet holes on the screen is a tip as to where the shot came from. It is more helpful than the red curved line that shows the general direction of incoming fire in the cardinal directions. Gunslinger is great fun on Easy just blasting fools and it was fun on Hard, which I did not honestly expect.

Playing through this game, while pretty linear, it does give you some space to look around several times. I wish there was more of that. I honestly hope some day some one will make an open world, first person, old west game. It may be scoffed at a bit for being Skyrim in the Wild West, or Red Dead Redemption in first person, but I really would enjoy that if it has gun play like Gunslinger.

If this is the direction the franchise continues to go, then they have a new customer.

Anyone else check this out?

What are your thoughts?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I was thinking about picking this up so it's great to hear that you liked it. I'll grab it on PC this weekend. Can you explain the tone a little bit more? Was it really self serious or did it have some fun with itself? I've only played the demo for the first Call of Juarez and didn't really enjoy it way back when.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've heard a lot of surprisingly good things about it. Might have to give it a whirl! Sure wish I had one of those press Steam accounts, though.

Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Imagine the Polish perspective of the Old West, in all it's goofy glory. They go whole-hog into that with an earnestness that is very endearing. The atmosphere of the game is awesome (music, graphics, etc). So charming.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've only played through the first 3 missions so far, and I'm really enjoying it, kind of just wanted a fun shooter to play and I love the way it plays, I'm even a sucker for watching him reload every single bullet.

Also for $18 in a country where games are usually $100 I couldn't pass that up

LordZedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it!

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm really glad to hear people being so positive. Bound in blood was one of my favorite games this gen.

LordZedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been loving western games since Sunset Riders on the snes and that game really kicks some ass. Though, my eternal wander of hope for a PC version of Red Dead Redemption lingers still. There is so much to do with a western themed game. Lets look at Outlaws that came out years ago for exemple! That game had some awesome story that made me feel weird emotions of sadness throughout the process of the game. Gunslinger made me satisfy that genre even more and i'm hoping to see more from them.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I've really been enjoying my time with it. Its a fun shooter, has a goofy but fun story, and it looks really good as well for being $15. Great art style.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've played the fist few missions and it seems really good. I like the shooting mechanics, they feel really solid. The art style is nice, kind of reminiscent of Borderlands, but there are some gorgeous visuals on display here. The story is kind of neat, too. The way Silas narrates and changes the story mid mission is pretty novel. For $15, there seems to be a lot here and it's a really well put together package.

DR34DN0UGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fun and visually attractive shooter for the price of most DLC (I paid £11.99 on Steam). The Chrome Engine is used to good effect, with some impressive visuals and an attractive art style. The gunplay is sharp once you get used to the various Iron Sights in the game, and the on the rails gameplay actually works quite well in this format. Length wise, it clocks in around 5-6 hours, with a few mini games tacked on, but no Multi-Player. Apart from the Rising Storm Beta, this is easily the finest "budget" title I've played in the last few months.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Chrome Engine 5 what is powering the new Zombie game? It looks much better than any previous techland game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

For some reason I figured a cheaper FPS just meant a pure multiplayer thing. But the QL looked great, and between this and Blood Dragon I'm really liking these smaller types of shooters. If this trend continues.... aayyy!

DR34DN0UGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wampa1 said:

So is Chrome Engine 5 what is powering the new Zombie game? It looks much better than any previous techland game.

If you mean Dead Island: Riptide, then yep it sure is.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@wampa1 said:

I think he was asking about Dying Light. I don't think they've said anything about the engine their using but I could be wrong.

DR34DN0UGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr34dn0ught said:

@wampa1 said:

I think he was asking about Dying Light. I don't think they've said anything about the engine their using but I could be wrong.

You could be right mate, I forgot about Dying Light. :)

The Wikipedia page for the Chrome Engine lists Dying Light as utilising Chrome Engine 6 for it's 2014 release. Make of that what you will.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr34dn0ught: Yeah Dying Light is what I meant, totally blanked on the name. Surprised both this and Riptide are the same engine, I know COJ is linear levels but the difference in quality is quite striking.

Avatar image for smashed_pumpkins
    smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have just started the 7th chapter. Playing on PS3. Really enjoying this game. Did not know that it existed, when the PSN store updated I bought it on a whim. First Call of Juarez game I have played.

It is a fun shooter, has some cool mechanics. Really like the story telling and the narrator. Some awesome music also, really like the soundtrack.

Only bad thing I can say is that I hated the first two boss fights

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that people are diggind this game. After the last Call of Juarez I was afraid the IP was going downhill. Glad to hear its not and I may end up picking this game up after I finish my current games.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall i like the game and think it's solid but there's a couple misteps

1) The Visuals - Although great, the colors are very vibrant and sharp and sometimes i find this to be a problem when trying to differentiate enemies from the environment. If it wasn't for the damage/warning indicator i wouldn't even know where they are half the time. The fact that the game even has a warning indicator as oppose to just a damage indicator is probably a reflection of this

2) The Duels - It's a western so there should be duels but i feel like the mechanics go out of their way to make it more difficult than necessary. You're focusing on 3 things (hand over your gun, focusing on target and being aware when they draw) and two of this things require you to use very floaty controls/mechanics. They should have just made it so that all you have to do is worry about ur hand over your gun and focus on draw speed or at the very least don't make the focus reticle inverted from my normal gameplay controls

Everything else about this game is pretty much top notch. The way the narrative weaves with the gameplay is just awesome. Loved when Silas is telling the story about the train robbery with Jesse James and then he has to go to the bathroom and the game has you walk through the same empty train car over and over again until he comes back to resume the story. Very nice touch

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just finished it and loved it, also agree on hbkdx12's points.

I didn't like the duels very much because of said points, it also didn't register me shooting at times. I often just dishonored them to move on with the good parts of the game.

If Techland decides to turn CoJ in to small shooters like this I would be happy.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games pretty great all around. Liking the story telling, the art style, the guns and the arcade mode is addicting... can't quit until I get 3 stars.

Is this is the best Techland game to date? I played a bit of the past Call of Juarez games but this one seems just better all around. Dead Island was mildly entertaining.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@rye256: I saw a stream of gunslinger recently and it seems pretty fun and stylish for how much the game costs! I do think that eventually some fps fatigue begins to set in, so it's probably best to enjoy it in bursts.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By zaccheus

I just played 4 hours of this game... Patrick was right; it's way better than it has any right to be. Techland? Are you bipolar or what is going on?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just bought it on the steam sale. Yeah it's pretty damn awesome. Sold shooting and fun old timey weapons. The story being Narrated as your playing is a really cool idea. It's got me engaged in a story that I most likely would have never cared about if it were just cut scenes

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started this last night and am really enjoying it. Only issue I have is that I find the aiming to be a bit hit and miss. I get that these were not the most advanced weapons in the world, but at the same time you get more points for headshots, long shots etc so the game is expecting you to try and be accurate.

Other than that it's pretty neat though.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. A bit different to most FPS, although I guess the shooting doesn't do that much new. Decent ending, for once, as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.