Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 19, 2011

The Cartel is the third game in Ubisoft's Call of Juarez franchise, this time in a modern setting.

Call of Juarez: The Cartel getting banned in Mexico

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

So the town of Juarez, and Mexico in general, is not in the best state. In 2010, 3,075 homicides took place. Juarez now has a homicide rate of 229 killing per 100,00 inhabitants. Compare that to the 6.3 of my city (New York) and you can see how bad it is. Massive conflicts between drug cartels has lead to violence that is now spilling over into the United States

So when a game gets announced that takes place in Los Angeles, CA and Juarez, Mexico, it makes me feel a bit uneasy. Can a video game whose main gameplay mechanic consists of shooting people be capable of approaching this issue with the sensitivity and tacitness Juarez deserves? Forgive me for being skeptical, but I highly doubt it.  

However, we have no way of knowing what tone the story will take, although Ubisoft does promise "an immersive and mature story" with a "very gritty and relevant plot."  

Well, I guess we will see how it all turns out, but what is your take on all of this? 

Story:   http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/20/mexican-officials-call-for-call-of-juarez-the-cartel-ban.aspx

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

So the town of Juarez, and Mexico in general, is not in the best state. In 2010, 3,075 homicides took place. Juarez now has a homicide rate of 229 killing per 100,00 inhabitants. Compare that to the 6.3 of my city (New York) and you can see how bad it is. Massive conflicts between drug cartels has lead to violence that is now spilling over into the United States

So when a game gets announced that takes place in Los Angeles, CA and Juarez, Mexico, it makes me feel a bit uneasy. Can a video game whose main gameplay mechanic consists of shooting people be capable of approaching this issue with the sensitivity and tacitness Juarez deserves? Forgive me for being skeptical, but I highly doubt it.  

However, we have no way of knowing what tone the story will take, although Ubisoft does promise "an immersive and mature story" with a "very gritty and relevant plot."  

Well, I guess we will see how it all turns out, but what is your take on all of this? 

Story:   http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/20/mexican-officials-call-for-call-of-juarez-the-cartel-ban.aspx

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Providing a link to a news story about this might be useful. 

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gaff

I can't be the only one who's very sceptical when a publisher speaks about "an immersive and mature story"?

It'll probably make some headlines at release , but like with RE5, it'll probably subside without any effect on the industry.

And, no offence, I almost read "Call of Jayross".

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

Wow, that was quick.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By christ0phe

No surprise there

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayross
    @Gaff
    I can't be the only one who's very sceptical when a publisher speaks about "an immersive and mature story"?

It'll probably make some headlines at release , but like with RE5, it'll probably subside without any effect on the industry.

And, no offence, I almost read "Call of Jayross".
    We aren't talking about Call of Jayross at the moment, but we will have more info at GDC.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By napalm

A lot of towns that are south of the border in Mexico are filled with murders, killings, torture, etc. The Cartels pretty much run a lot of the towns down there. The plot might be relevant, but I wouldn't expect more than a big action movie with some plot twists.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Agent47

Yeah I saw this on Telemundo.It seems only natural.Seeing as it is one of the most dangerous places in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.