Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Canada

Location » linked to 217 games

Canada is the world's second-largest country in size, spanning the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and stretching from the USA border to the Arctic Circle. It hosts many notable game companies, such as Bioware, Ubisoft Montreal, and Eidos Montreal.

Going to Canada, Would Like Suggestions

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Two weeks from today, I’ll be on a plane heading toward Whistler, BC Canada for a week long ski trip with my family and local ski club. This is going to be the first time any of us have ever been to Canada, including the guy who’s arranged this trip. Because of this, I’ve been feeling a little under prepared for what should be like any trip I’ve taken to the Rockies.

I was wondering if any of you Canadian duders, or anyone who’s visited the BC area, could chime in and give this uncultured American some suggestions or info to feel better prepared. Is there anything extra I should bring with me that I wouldn’t have if I were staying in country? Are there any delicious I should try out or anything I should bring back with me? If I happen to have a day to myself, is there anything or anywhere I should check out beyond the mountains given the chance?

I’m not looking for answers to all of these, but any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Ketchup chips and Coffee Crisp chocolate bar, dog. Sall you need.

My knowledge of BC is super limited unfortunately, never been to Whistler. Heard it's pretty rad though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@thesoutherndandy: I like ketchup, but man, I have never come around on ketchup chips. I don't even think they taste very much like ketchup to me.

Coffee Crisp is legit though.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bleshoo

I live in a small town in BC, so checking out a big city like Vancouver is pretty cool to me.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two weeks from today, I’ll be on a plane heading toward Whistler, BC Canada for a week long ski trip with my family and local ski club. This is going to be the first time any of us have ever been to Canada, including the guy who’s arranged this trip. Because of this, I’ve been feeling a little under prepared for what should be like any trip I’ve taken to the Rockies.

I was wondering if any of you Canadian duders, or anyone who’s visited the BC area, could chime in and give this uncultured American some suggestions or info to feel better prepared. Is there anything extra I should bring with me that I wouldn’t have if I were staying in country? Are there any delicious I should try out or anything I should bring back with me? If I happen to have a day to myself, is there anything or anywhere I should check out beyond the mountains given the chance?

I’m not looking for answers to all of these, but any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Poutine, dude. Poutine.

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleshoo: Our flight actually stops in Vancouver and we're taking a shuttle to Whistler from there. Unfortunately, we won't be there long.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Caramilk bars and Mr.Big. With poutine on the side, that is all you need.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Harvey's

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

@formuladeuce said:

@bleshoo: Our flight actually stops in Vancouver and we're taking a shuttle to Whistler from there. Unfortunately, we won't be there long.

Make sure you sit on the left side of the shuttle. That is the side that will overlook the ocean, and I think that is the best view.

Its Presidents week, right? That time gets fucking crazy, so be kind with the locals, they are having their busiest week since Christmas. If you are nice and empathetic to a local, at a bar is your best bet, they just might be able to show you around. There are a lot of hidden spots in Whistler, and having a guide is the only way to find the best lines. There are a lot of men and women that live in Whistler that are totally cool with a one week relationship, so try and get a five day romance brewing. Whats the worst that will happen, you get turned down and then never see that person again.

Edit: Whistler is fucking expensive and everything is Mountain priced. Be prepared.

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: Thanks for those suggestions. I'll keep all those in mind. Also, I'm not going till the beginning of March so hopefully everyone will be over their Presidents week headaches by then. I'll still be kind regardless.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@monetarydread said:

so try and get a five day romance brewing. Whats the worst that will happen
    Syphilis?
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical Canadian dishes like Ketchup Chips and Poutine are a must. Vancouver is pretty close to Whistler so it would be worth checking out if you have the time. If you go to Vancouver and are in the mood for a burger go to a Vera's burger place, fucking delicious burgers. That entire area is super pricey so yeah be ready to spend a good amount of money.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BC is more of a summer province; it's pretty miserable around this time of the year. I'd say you're already making the most out of your trip by going to Whistler. There's enough stuff for you to do in Whistler for a week that I doubt you'll really need anything else to pad out the trip.

Just bring enough money.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunkulese

Canada's pretty much the same as northern US. Not as much fast food is probably the biggest difference.

If you're going to Whistler it's more or less the same than any other major ski resort in the Rockies.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well if you want to go to a city you know which one that it is. Victoria is nice too but it's more of a summer city. That said it does have interesting food and that's good year round.

For more ski type stuff? If you've got 10~ hours to spare you should drive to Lake Louise or Fernie and stay there a night or two. Go through the Rockies. You'll see glaciers and some other amazing sights.

Those roads aren't to be fucked with on certain days so take care and drive safe. Fernie is the better mountain I think and the drive to both is worth it if you enjoy that sort of thing.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monetarydread

@rollingzeppelin: Phhhhhh..... Maybe in America. Canadians are superhuman, so we are immune to those pesky STD's.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Nodima

This is based on Toronto but if you have any vices other than marijuana you'll want to bring more cash than you'd expect. Even fast food is crazy expensive up north. And I had maybe two drinks over the course of a week because alcohol is barely a value proposition up there.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@thesoutherndandy: I like ketchup, but man, I have never come around on ketchup chips. I don't even think they taste very much like ketchup to me.

Coffee Crisp is legit though.

Ketchup chips are disgusting. They are this proud nation's greatest shame. More so than when we had a poll and named a proponent of eugenics as the "Greatest Canadian"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.