A Gem of a Jam: Capcom's Latest Street Fighter x Tekken Announcement Draws Predictable Ire

• 157 results
#151 Posted by Fracture (157 posts) -

Why does Capcom feel that in order to make their game better they need to overhaul them in ways that make little to no sense to people outside of hardcore players? None of these systems help anyone. The idea behind Parrying was that it would allow you to get out of a bad situation, but the timing is so precise that it's only useful to a small percentage of people overall that play it. The same can be said for Focus attacks, dash cancels, and the like.

I was really looking forward to this game as I liked both games, in the past. I liked Street Fighter 4 for a bit till it seemed like everyone else figured out all the twitch happy counter stuff and I got left in the dust. Now I have to remember to hit someone x times with such and such a move during a match to , aww forget it. I'll just go back to playing Street Fighter 2.

#152 Edited by Kosayn (453 posts) -

I kind of just don't see what this gem system has to do with either Street Fighter or Tekken. That's the main problem I have - what is this game, and what other than the character models does it have to do with Tekken?

You know what made Tekken extremely accessible for less deeply devoted players? The god damn Phoenix Smasher, that's what. Tekken was not afraid to have a few moves that were very punishing and easy to execute. Paul takes all of 5 minutes to learn to use effectively, and Bryan was pretty similar. Just by knowing a handful of basic moves and threatening to commit to them, you could intimidate and defeat a more experienced player.

Tekken also had characters which combo very easily by just spamming buttons and seeing what happens. Hwoarang and Xiaoyu come to mind.

Of course, these characters did have depth as well. But they seemed to work for new players because their strongest moves were easy to learn, unlike the long dial-in moves of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I miss Tekken, I must admit. It was a more accessible fighting game from a much less serious time.

Gem system doesn't strike me as being easy to learn, or even, to understand that it exists.

#153 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

It's not confusing, Just annoying and unnecessary.

#154 Posted by satansmagichat (179 posts) -

I stopped reading when he called Street Fighter 4 too complex and Marvel vs Capcom 3 "dumbed down". Sorry, Navarro, but I don't understand you at all.

#155 Posted by scottygrayskull (466 posts) -

Eh, it's Capcom. I'll care about SF X Tekken when the "Super/Turbo/Ultimate" version comes out less than a year after release.

#156 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@satansmagichat said:

I stopped reading when he called Street Fighter 4 too complex and Marvel vs Capcom 3 "dumbed down".

Indeed, completely destroyed any shred of credibility the article had.

#157 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Googly said:

Sometimes, people just want pure honest fighting.

And sometimes they wanna be taken for a ride.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.