Capcom Issue Statement

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Capcom has issued a statement reiterating a promise to remain a multi-format developer. This comes after recent comments from the director of the companies French division, Antoine Seux, who recently expressed the [his] view that core gamers had "obviously moved on" from the Wii, and that the 360 & PS3 platforms were seen by Capcom as the future.
 

Further to comments made in a recent article on French website Gamekult, Capcom would like to confirm its commitment as a multi-platform developer and publisher of interactive software

 - Capcom

 
 
Thanks to GamesIndustry.biz.

#2 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Frenchie got told, and that's (close to) the first point I made in the other thread, a random French division employee doesn't decide a Japanese company's direction. Yet every website/forum under the sun had "CAPCOM SAYS" on their titles without doubting it even a little bit. Not that this means we'll see more mature Wii games for sure, but if we don't it's certainly not because some French dude said so in a sensantional piece.

#3 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I giggled, really.

#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Frenchie got told, and that's the first point I made in the other thread, a random French division employee doesn't decide a Japanese company's direction. Yet every website/forum under the sun had "CAPCOM SAYS" on their titles without doubting it even a little bit. Not that this means we'll see more mature Wii games for sure, but if we don't it's certainly not because some French dude said so in a sensantionally presented piece. "
 
The director of the French division is hardly a "random employee"
#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Eh there's a market for new properties if Capcom can figure out what to do with the wii. I like what they're doing with their IPs on the other two consoles, but it's a shame the western developers stuff isn't working out for them because they're really getting close to nailing the games. I hope they don't pull outta that idea. 

#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Well it looks like this "not random employee" got told. CAPCOM France was started  in 2008 mind you. Do they even develop anything there? Edit: They don't. Here's an article about its creation. It looks like this guy's job was to improve sales of CAPCOM games there. Clearly, he was merely covering his ass with the previous statement saying it's not his fault DSC only sold 16k copies, but the platform's fault. See-through. So, yeah, he's random as far as the company's development direction is concerned. If he can affect anything at all, it's games published in France. I don't care.

#7 Posted by Steve_C (1756 posts) -

Well this doesn't seem to condradict what the guy said. Capcom are still going to make Wii games, though perhaps not as many. They're just doing a bit of damge control and trying to restore faith. It's standard PR practice.

#8 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Eh there's a market for new properties if Capcom can figure out what to do with the wii. I like what they're doing with their IPs on the other two consoles, but it's a shame the western developers stuff isn't working out for them because they're really getting close to nailing the games. I hope they don't pull outta that idea.  "
 
 
I keep saying it - Power Stone 3
#9 Edited by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:

" Well it looks like this "not random employee" got told. CAPCOM France was started  in 2008 mind you. Do they even develop anything there? "


They probably develop money with capcom's games in france. But that's just an assumption. 
 
@Linkyshinks:  I'm inclined to agree. It's about damn time.
#10 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Eh there's a market for new properties if Capcom can figure out what to do with the wii. I like what they're doing with their IPs on the other two consoles, but it's a shame the western developers stuff isn't working out for them because they're really getting close to nailing the games. I hope they don't pull outta that idea.  "
 
 
I keep saying it - Power Stone 3 "
Oh, that reminds me.
 
Nice fan service assholes.  You can make an on-rails lightgun game no one wants but there are people hammering for a Power Stone 3.  I don't even like Resident Evil yet they ignore fans of their other franchises.
#11 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

Oh, well wouldn't they remain a dev with multiple games still coming for Wii 2010, and only refusing to develop M rated games.

#12 Edited by coonana (91 posts) -

I love publishers pointing fingers in the wrong direction. 
 
One super gory on rails game goes a long way, but Capcom, EA, and Sega all put some of their biggest efforts on Wii into making those games. It was a completely saturated market and they wore people out on it after HotD: O.
#13 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@coonana said:

"but Capcom, EA, and Sega all put some of their biggest efforts on Wii into making those games."

Uh, is that a joke? None of those were even in-house, they were all outsourced to 2nd rate developers, likely cheaply, with short dev cycles. You're right about market saturation for rail shooters. The genre was dead, the other systems got 1 or none, yet they pretend they all should sell great.

Edit: Nevermind, biggest efforts on Wii. Correct, sadly. In general that is. CAPCOM in particular has put out a couple of properly big titles. MHTri for one, and, well, Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM is no SFIV, but it's a good game, which probably won't sell for other reasons (Tatsunoko being one, heh).

Anyway this was a CAPCOM Europe retraction for the CAPCOM France comments blaming the Wii, so, good. CAPCOM Japan likely doesn't care.
#14 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:

" @coonana said:

"but Capcom, EA, and Sega all put some of their biggest efforts on Wii into making those games."

Uh, is that a joke? None of those were even in-house, they were all outsourced to 2nd rate developers, likely cheaply, with short dev cycles. You're right about market saturation for rail shooters. The genre was dead, the other systems got 1 or none, yet they pretend they all should sell great.

Edit: Nevermind, biggest efforts on Wii. Correct, sadly. In general that is. CAPCOM in particular has put out a couple of properly big titles. MHTri for one, and, well, Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM is no SFIV, but it's a good game, which probably won't sell for other reasons (Tatsunoko being one, heh).Anyway this was a CAPCOM Europe retraction for the CAPCOM France comments blaming the Wii, so, good. CAPCOM Japan likely doesn't care. "
 
The japanese import of Tatsunoko vs Capcom seems to be doing alright. Of course, this isn't every publication.
 
 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/tatsunokovscapcomultimateallstars
#15 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I didn't say anything about how it will review, other than it being a good game. I'm not sure why you're showing me that.

#16 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @coonana said:

"but Capcom, EA, and Sega all put some of their biggest efforts on Wii into making those games."

Uh, is that a joke? None of those were even in-house, they were all outsourced to 2nd rate developers, likely cheaply, with short dev cycles. You're right about market saturation for rail shooters. The genre was dead, the other systems got 1 or none, yet they pretend they all should sell great.

Edit: Nevermind, biggest efforts on Wii. Correct, sadly. In general that is. CAPCOM in particular has put out a couple of properly big titles. MHTri for one, and, well, Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM is no SFIV, but it's a good game, which probably won't sell for other reasons (Tatsunoko being one, heh).Anyway this was a CAPCOM Europe retraction for the CAPCOM France comments blaming the Wii, so, good. CAPCOM Japan likely doesn't care. "
I think what Godwind is trying to say is that Tatsunoko could do good with the right advertising. Well, actually IDK really what his reasoning for linking a metascore... 
 
Anyways, another great situation in which you are very correct Al3x. CAPCOM could put more care into their project, and THEN if it does not sell well, they can complain.  
 
We all know games like Tatsunoko and MHT are going to be great buys, just not going to sell well.
#17 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@demontium said:

"We all know games like Tatsunoko and MHT are going to be great buys, just not going to sell well. "

MHTri has already sold excellently, being the second highest selling third party game across all home (not portable) platforms (this gen) in Japan, second to Final Fantasy XIII. That's not "not well" for sure. It's never sold much in the West, though this version has the potential to do a bit better.

Tatsunoko has already proven to not attract much attention in its homeland, not only on Wii, but also in the arcades, showing it's not the platform's problem. Perhaps the new release will manage to do better, but it certainly isn't as hyped as a main SF release or anywhere close to that. It's also coming out alongside No More Heroes 2. Different genres, but I imagine a similar audience that will, at least short term, pick one over the other.
#18 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" I didn't say anything about how it will review, other than it being a good game. I'm not sure why you're showing me that. "
I might be taking these out of context but you did say...
 
 @Al3xand3r said:
" Edit: MHTri for one, and, well, Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM is no SFIV, but it's a good game "
So it was in reference to that.  Sorry for the confusion.
#19 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I still don't see how your link argues with that. If anything it reinforces it. I said it's good. Reviewers seem to think so too. Unless you posted that to agree with me, but it didn't seem so. So it sounded like you're arguing about what I said of how it won't sell with proof of it "doing alright" in scores.

#20 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

French? lulz.

#21 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" I still don't see how your link argues with that. If anything it reinforces it. I said it's good. Reviewers seem to think so too. Unless you posted that to agree with me, but it didn't seem so. So it sounded like you're arguing about what I said of how it won't sell with proof of it "doing alright" in scores. "
I wasn't arguing with or against you.  As from what I can tell, I haven't been a dick shit about the Wii.  Off course, if you want me to be an asshole, I can do that with generic some rhetoric such as "Shovelware device" or "crap shit console", or something stupid like that.  Although I am feeling impatient about getting my TvC fight stick.  Care to teach me some Greek?
#22 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

What? When did I say you have been a dick shit about the Wii? This discussion is going places...

#23 Edited by coonana (91 posts) -

I just wonder what Capcom is going to do with TvC and MHTri? They have such an uphill battle here in the States. Selling such experiences on Wii is hard as it is, you know they will barely advertise for these games, and these are very Japanese specific series they are not fully understood by Western markets. Capcom needs to wake up and get these games in some American conventions and showcase on the big screen.
#24 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@coonana said:
" I just wonder what Capcom is going to do with TvC and MHTri? They have such an uphill battle here in the States. Selling such experiences on Wii is hard as it is, you know they will barely advertise for these games, and these are very Japanese specific series they are not fully understood by Western markets. Capcom needs to wake up and get these games in some American conventions and showcase on the big screen. "
They will: 
  • Only advertise to people that were going to get the game anyways.
  • Put as little marketing to the states as possible.
  • Release their two great games.
  • Look at their sales.
  • Blame it on the Wii audience.
#25 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @Al3xand3r said:
" Frenchie got told, and that's the first point I made in the other thread, a random French division employee doesn't decide a Japanese company's direction. Yet every website/forum under the sun had "CAPCOM SAYS" on their titles without doubting it even a little bit. Not that this means we'll see more mature Wii games for sure, but if we don't it's certainly not because some French dude said so in a sensantionally presented piece. "
 
The director of the French division is hardly a "random employee" "
Dude's French.  Enough said. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.