Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Capcom

Company »

Capcom is a well-known Japanese game developer and publisher, formerly known as Capsule Computing. They are responsible for such franchises as Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Onimusha.

Capcom up for potential purchase.

• 83 results
    Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@vextroid said:

My two bets are Sony or Sega.

Blue Moon bet? Hori or Mad Catz or who ever is really big in the fighting game peripheral scene buys the Street Fighter stuff.

Mad Catz makes crazy sense. They could take Capcom's fighting game IP's and ship out a new game every 6 to 12 months with a signature set of fight sticks. This might also be our best chance of getting a new Darkstalkers game.

Sony would benefit by getting the Monster Hunter license. Get those games back where they came from and sell me a HD Monster Hunter 4!

Otherwise Capcom needs to sell me the rights to Darkstalkers. I'll do those games justice! $100. Standing offer Capcom. Call me. I'am willing to negotiate.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sony should buy them. SONY, by gamers FOR gamers, the Live, Learn and Love way. Capcom take note how it's done. AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Well, that's not necessarily going to be great either. Remember Sony as a whole isn't doing so well financially and they also did shut down a number of first party dev teams not so long ago so to cut costs. MS however despite the Xbox being behind is still doing a lot better than Sony as a whole so they're more financially capable to buy stocks. Plus if this happens, Capcom's IPs will just end up being single console exclusives and I for one wouldn't want that. I'd rather have their games be platform agnostic and be on as many platforms as possible so I'd rather have another publisher or even just a different company that is not necessarily in the games industry to be able to buy them.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I can't say I'm not rather deeply invested in Capcom as a company. Emotionally invested, I mean; I'm not buying Capcom. They've made quite a decent number of games that I really hold dear and they also made the game that I've played way more than any other in the last five years, so I'll be very interested if anything eventuates from this.

@ryanmgraef said:

So this is why Ono San bounced right?

My understanding is that Ono only stepped down from a leadership role at the Canadian studio that made the last couple of Dead Rising games and that he's still very much one of the higher ups at the company. Ono's like the only personality still at Capcom that anybody knows anymore, I think they need to keep him around. :P

@crithon said:

Divide and conquer.

You know I haven't heard that Microsoft buying them out rumor in over 2 years. Curious if that's still happening. But I wouldn't be surprise to hear Disney buying them but they closed a few studios and fried a large staff from Infinity. So that would be unlikely unless it's just to get the IP.

OH GOD D:

Disney buying them would be interesting though, then they'd own Marvel AND Capcom. They could do some sort of crossover fighting game.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA will buy them, slowly drive the entire thing into the ground.

I don't see how EA buying them would be any worse than the current state of Capcom. People love to make EA out like the evil empire of the gaming industry, but Capcom hasn't exactly been a friend of the people either. Between their continued refusal to move away from the ridiculous model of releasing the same game with minor updates for near full price (the many iterations of Street Fighter 4, Dead Rising 2 Off The Record, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3), their insulting on-disk DLC and paid cheats, and their poor treatment of many of their biggest franchises in recent years (RE6, DMC, and Mega Man certainly come to mind), there isn't a lot of reason to be confident in Capcom as they are now.

Whatever policies or creative decisions EA may or may not make if they had all these properties, you can at least bet they'd use them, which can't be said for Capcom, and EA at least has a decent stable of developers that could potentially make some good games with these franchises.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Every company is up for purchase.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hopefully it gets bought by Konami.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony should buy them. SONY, by gamers FOR gamers, the Live, Learn and Love way. Capcom take note how it's done. AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Sony can't afford any aquisitations right now.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#61 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I don't care who buys the majority shares, so long as they actually do something good with the Breath of Fire and Rival Schools IPs.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

So this is why Ono San bounced right?

Ono is still with Capcom proper; he just relinquished supervisory duties on Capcom Vancouver. He even just said he's working on an announced PS4 project with Capcom on Twitter today.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And then Gabe Newell rolls in and buys Capcom for shits and giggles.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@damodar: The biggest problem with Disney taking another franchise was..... well basically Marvel animation and Star Wars Clone Wars. "Why did we buy another animated series? don't we make animation?" And they do have other video game studios that are all in flux because this whole industry is up one minute down another..... actually that's no different with animation "Well, one season is done, now have to fix my portfolio to reapply for this same job I just did."

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By Seppli

As long as Deep Down and Dragon's Dogma 2 get made, I don't care. If the potential moneybag in question fucks this up for me however? MAYHEM!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx said:

I don't care who buys the majority shares, so long as they actually do something good with the Breath of Fire and Rival Schools IPs.

Oh God! A new Rival Schools game would probably make me audibly squeal. I was really hoping when Capcom announced that Ultra Street Fighter IV would have a new character added that hadn't been in a SF game before that they'd be pulling somebody from Rival Schools, like Akira.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#68 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@damodar: Tell me about it. Of all the fighting game IPs Capcom owns, that is the one I most want a new game for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I might be insane but I think Nintendo should buy Capcom. It really seems like a perfect pairing. I don't know what that would do for publishing games on non Nintendo platforms but it would be cool if there were games on the Xbox1 and PS4 that were published by Nintendo.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Frankie Muniz is going to buy Capcom.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonycom

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA will buy them, slowly drive the entire thing into the ground.

I dont know, capcom was already doing that on their own...

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

It's not a good time to buy. Better to let them finish crashing and burning on their own, then pick them up afterwards for less.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meptron said:

It's not a good time to buy. Better to let them finish crashing and burning on their own, then pick them up afterwards for less.

This. I doubt SF5 will be particularily profitable, especially since it's using the same engine...........and assists. Most consumors will think it's more SF4 DLC

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail:

I'm not sure Nintendo would buy them. They're waiting for their opportunity to buy Sega, if only to tell the company, "We won."

Wii 1

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mcfart said:

@meptron said:

This. I doubt SF5 will be particularily profitable, especially since it's using the same engine...........and assists. Most consumors will think it's more SF4 DLC

I doubt that. Sony has the marketing muscle to hype up Street Fighter V and sell it to people.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By fleabeard

Iron Galaxy should get on this.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sega buys them. i hope sega buys everyone out. they got that pachinko money. could buy nintendo and sony and it probably wouldn't make a dent

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes more sense for Sony to buy them, but they have no money right now and I don't think they're in a position to do that. Microsoft however would get a huge foothold in Japan if they bought them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: SF5 will sell well for the same reason AC3 sold well.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@mcfart said:

I doubt that. Sony has the marketing muscle to hype up Street Fighter V and sell it to people.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that SFV will sell all that well. The original Street Fighter IV only sold around 3.3 million copies, which is great for a fighting game but that was across two established platforms and coming nine years after the previous game in the series. Street Fighter V will be targeting a much more limited audience, and one that has already been exposed to a steady stream of SFIV variants over the past couple years, including one that's coming to PS4 soon. I'm sure Sony will do their job as best they can, but it might not be enough.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@demoskinos said:

@mcfart said:

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that SFV will sell all that well. The original Street Fighter IV only sold around 3.3 million copies, which is great for a fighting game but that was across two established platforms and coming nine years after the previous game in the series. Street Fighter V will be targeting a much more limited audience, and one that has already been exposed to a steady stream of SFIV variants over the past couple years, including one that's coming to PS4 soon. I'm sure Sony will do their job as best they can, but it might not be enough.

Historically fighting games have always sold very well on newer platforms. People who wouldn't normally buy fighting games buy them in droves because of the relative lack of games (see Injustice HD). So, I'd wager SFV doing very well on PS4. I would bet a pizza on it! Meet me here release time and we'll sort out the details.

Based on the coolness of the logo, I'd say V outsells IV handily. IV revived fighting games in a lot of ways, but, I think today you have a lot more fans coming in from different angles (like Persona or Smash Brothers) and the FG Community really does seem to be bigger than ever, so SFV could do pretty well methinks.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:

Historically fighting games have always sold very well on newer platforms. People who wouldn't normally buy fighting games buy them in droves because of the relative lack of games (see Injustice HD). So, I'd wager SFV doing very well on PS4. I would bet a pizza on it! Meet me here release time and we'll sort out the details.

You might be right, but by the time Street Fighter V comes out, Injustice, Mortal Kombat X and Ultra Street Fighter IV will have all come out on PS4, so it's not like there'll have been a dearth of fighting games to choose from. Plus, if it launches towards the end of 2015 (which seems likely), it'll be up against a ton of AAA games and might have trouble separating itself from the pack. Either way, I'll be really curious to how it performs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.