Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Capcom

Company »

Capcom is a well-known Japanese game developer and publisher, formerly known as Capsule Computing. They are responsible for such franchises as Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Onimusha.

No More Mature Wii Titles From Capcom?

• 92 results
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks like time is up for mature titles from Capcom on Nintendo's Wii, Antoine Seux, a Director at Capcom, had this to say in response to the terrible sales of their latest Resident Evil game on the platform:  

One feels that there is a problem very clear on this style of game on the Wii, where gamers have obviously moved on. Resident Evil 4 on Wii worked well, but [it was released] when the market had nothing! The customer of [the Wii] has turned into something [of a] much broader audience. It is a disappointment. 

- Antoine Seux, Director Capcom France

He later stated that Capcom will now be focusing on Xbox 360 and PS3  - the future:  

"The Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on both [Sony and Microsoft's] platforms. The Wii console is very much a family commitment.... for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.”

You can read the full article here.  This follows a similar story concerning Sega.

Original Source: http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000081940/   
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Indeed, just like SEGA.  But he's only the French director of Capcom so I guess he doesn't speak for the whole company.  Also, it's not as if they made a real effort to actually make good mature titles on the Wii.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Capcom knows what's up!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe I'd agree with them if the only mature games coming out on the wii were rail shooters. Didn't RE4 wii edition get close to a million? Give Wii owners another game like that and it'll sell. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AgentJ said:
    " Give Wii owners another game like that and it'll sell.  "
    I kind of disagree with that statement because RE4 is a peculiar case.  It was a port of an insanely popular and loved game of the last generation.  If they really wanted to see if the mature audience, or whatever they're aiming for, is present on the Wii, it would have to be a new IP ala MadWorld or The Conduit, except not crap.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @AgentJ said:
    " Maybe I'd agree with them if the only mature games coming out on the wii were rail shooters. Didn't RE4 wii edition get close to a million? Give Wii owners another game like that and it'll sell.  "
    Yes. If they made a new (and exclusive) Resident Evil 3rd person shooter for the wii with updated mechanics (not like that lazy Dead Rising port) it would be awesome. But that won't happen because they could just make the same game for the Xbox and PS3 and it would sell far better. Such is a misfortune of the console wars. But they should do it anyways.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza

But isn't Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii??? Isn't that game and franchise huge in Japan? I just don't get this decision, but then again I don't understand most of Capcom's decisions, such as closing down Clover. Why Capcom? WHY????

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Cerza said:
    " But isn't Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii??? Isn't that game and franchise huge in Japan? I just don't get this decision, but then again I don't understand most of Capcom's decisions, such as closing down Clover. Why Capcom? WHY???? "

I wouldn't call Monster Hunter Tri a mature title.  It is, but that's there, not here in the West where the real money is.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " Maybe I'd agree with them if the only mature games coming out on the wii were rail shooters. Didn't RE4 wii edition get close to a million? Give Wii owners another game like that and it'll sell.  "
    Yes. If they made a new (and exclusive) Resident Evil 3rd person shooter for the wii with updated mechanics (not like that lazy Dead Rising port) it would be awesome. But that won't happen because they could just make the same game for the Xbox and PS3 and it would sell far better. Such is a misfortune of the console wars. But they should do it anyways. "
    Yeah, but making a bunch of rail shooters and deciding the mature wii owner doesn't exist because of them is just ridiculous. There just aren't a lot of mature wii owners that enjoy rail shooters. They act like they tried, but the only real attempts at releasing M rated games on the Wii were Madworld and No More Heroes. Neither of them were amazing sellers, but they didn't stink up the place the way Dead Space Extraction did either.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Nasar7

What "mature" games has capcom made for the wii? I'm drawing a blank here.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Whisperkill

good, more people should realize this. Maybe Nintendo will wake up.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Cerza
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Cerza said:
    " But isn't Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii??? Isn't that game and franchise huge in Japan? I just don't get this decision, but then again I don't understand most of Capcom's decisions, such as closing down Clover. Why Capcom? WHY???? "
     I wouldn't call Monster Hunter Tri a mature title.  It is, but that's there, not here in the West where the real money is. "
    It may not be rated Mature, but I wouldn't consider it one of those family friendly kiddie titles either. In any case I get your point.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Willy105

They planned it all along. Make a game for a small audience, and not bother to advertise it, it's the perfect formula for failure.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Emilio

Dear Capcom, 

How about this? You stop focusing on the rating of a game. Start working on a new idea. Polish it. Advertise it. Then you're left with a great new game. 
    Sounds good, right? Remember Zack & Wiki, Capcom? Do you? 

Sincerely, 
    Emilio

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Zack and Wiki was always destined to fail in my eyes, that games character design was totally fucked up, as is the name of the game.  

I'm glad I'll never have to hear that extremely annoying baby sound shit coming out of Wiki. 
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThomasP
    @Emilio said:
    " Dear Capcom,  How about this? You stop focusing on the rating of a game. Start working on a new idea. Polish it. Advertise it. Then you're left with a great new game. Sounds good, right? Remember Zack & Wiki, Capcom? Do you?  Sincerely, Emilio "
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

I doubt that the Director of Capcom's French office is in a position to speak for the whole company.

Then again, Monster Hunter Tri is being handled by Nintendo in Europe, which might say something about Capcom HQ's faith in their European offices.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @Lydian_Sel said:
    " Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was great but those other RE Wii titles have been less than impressive. Good choice on Capcom's part I'd say. "
    What makes you say that?  RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles were both million sellers, and Monster Hunter Tri sold pretty well after its Japanese release.  Capcom has had some clear success on the Wii, but then they've released games like Dead Rising:  Chop Till you Drop, which were mediocre and not likely to sell well at all.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By bonbolapti

Antonie has his style of gameplay mixed with his maturity level.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Dalai

I just think most 3rd party publishers dropped the ball when it comes to mature games on the Wii thinking outdated light gun games and stylized niche game will sell. I think M-rated games on the Wii (with the exception of No More Heroes 2) are dead on arrival. And quite honestly, who cares? The Wii doesn't need mature games at this point. It's already got an established casual audience.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

Makes perfect sense, whether you like it or not.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By demontium

Mature titles do not matter, as long as they keep developing.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By wwfundertaker

Companies should start using there Wii motion plus and see how that goes.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Meowayne

Capcom exec 1: "Hey, let's make another Resident Evil Wii game."
    Capcom exec 2: "Yes. There are, what, 50 million Wii users? That's at least 20 million buyers right there!"
    Capcom exec 1: "It's Resident Evil, right? It will sell itself!"
    Capcom exec 2: "You're right! Here's a thought: Because it would sell so well anyway, let's make it a niche genre game to please an even larger crowd!"
    Capcom exec 1: "Excellent idea! What do you propose as marketing budget?"
    Capcom exec 2: "I don't know! I would suggest $200. It's on the Wii! It will sell itself!"

This HAPPENS. The game gets MEDIOCRE REVIEWS and ALMOST NO MARKETING.

Capcom exec 1: "Numbers are in! Our new Wii Resident Evil rails game didn't sell ten million copies!"
    Capcom exec 2: "No wai! The Wii audience sure sucks!"
    Capcom exec 1: "Yeah, morons!"

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By demontium
    @Meowayne said:
    " Capcom exec 1: "Hey, let's make another Resident Evil Wii game." Capcom exec 2: "Yes. There are, what, 50 million Wii users? That's at least 20 million buyers right there!" Capcom exec 1: "It's Resident Evil, right? It will sell itself!" Capcom exec 2: "You're right! Here's a thought: Because it would sell so well anyway, let's make it a niche genre game to please an even larger crowd!" Capcom exec 1: "Excellent idea! What do you propose as marketing budget?" Capcom exec 2: "I don't know! I would suggest $200. It's on the Wii! It will sell itself!"  This HAPPENS. The game gets MEDIOCRE REVIEWS and ALMOST NO MARKETING.  Capcom exec 1: "Numbers are in! Our new Wii Resident Evil rails game didn't sell ten million copies!" Capcom exec 2: "No wai! The Wii audience sure sucks!" Capcom exec 1: "Yeah, morons!" "
    How are you soooooo good at capturing both the truth and what I am thinking in a hilarious fashion and before me? 

Hai new best friend!
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64
    @Meowayne said:
    " Capcom exec 1: "Hey, let's make another Resident Evil Wii game." Capcom exec 2: "Yes. There are, what, 50 million Wii users? That's at least 20 million buyers right there!" Capcom exec 1: "It's Resident Evil, right? It will sell itself!" Capcom exec 2: "You're right! Here's a thought: Because it would sell so well anyway, let's make it a niche genre game to please an even larger crowd!" Capcom exec 1: "Excellent idea! What do you propose as marketing budget?" Capcom exec 2: "I don't know! I would suggest $200. It's on the Wii! It will sell itself!"  This HAPPENS. The game gets MEDIOCRE REVIEWS and ALMOST NO MARKETING.  Capcom exec 1: "Numbers are in! Our new Wii Resident Evil rails game didn't sell ten million copies!" Capcom exec 2: "No wai! The Wii audience sure sucks!" Capcom exec 1: "Yeah, morons!" "
    That was a good laugh.

The first Umbrella Chronicles sold like 2 million so that's decent.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Emilio
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Zack and Wiki was always destined to fail in my eyes, that games character design was totally fucked up, as is the name of the game.   I'm glad I'll never have to hear that extremely annoying baby sound shit coming out of Wiki.  "
    I liked it better when it was Treasure Island Z, and it being a very early Wii game, I can excuse its baby sounds. 

Its just the idea of the game, a point and click puzzle adventure, that relied entirely on the controller, and had some pretty nice looking graphics... I dunno. Its just a nice title.
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By goodwood
    This  podcast  from 1up  has a great conversation with a guy from Sega of America  about their attempts at mature games on the Wii and if they will make another try at it. Also has a great discussion on publisher/developer relations which is cool to listen to.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, this is just some French dude talking sensational crap. Do you really think CAPCOM Japan base their decisions on his opinion?

Monster Hunter 3 sold gangbusters in Japan and was the highest selling home console third party game of the generation until only FFXIII just surpassed it. Sure, it sold less than the PSP games but then again it has a pay to play online mode there ensuring additional income, and they're bound to release a G version for even more profit with little additional development cost as those editions have expansion level content.

RE4 Wii sold great, RE: UC sold great by riding its bandwagon with claims of being a test game that would ensure more CAPCOM support, RE: DSC sold crap because UC was sub par and despite passing the sales test didn't bring support, but another outsourced shooter.

What else "mature" did CAPCOM bring Wii to be disappointed with sales? Dead Rising's most laughable port of the decade? No shit it didn't sell.

The lightgun genre is 100% dead on every platform but the Wii!

That is a testament to its selling power rather than the opposite, but it's still a niche genre not many people will buy more than a couple games unless you convince them yours is special, which both CAPCOM and EA failed to do with their latest. Making lightgun shooters its litmus test or whatever crap SEGA and CAPCOM employees nobody cares about think up is an extremely ridiculous concept.

Besides, CAPCOM have had failures with what some consider casual games also (Zack & Wiki), but of course saying casual games can't sell on Wii would be an even more ridiculous statement. The failures are their own alone, they had a great opportunity to foster a strong Wii fanbase after RE4 and even RE: UC had they fulfilled their promises of more support, but they blew it. They can recover it, if they try. Spin offs isn't trying, but it seems RE fans always give them the benefit of the doubt once. The first RE: Outbreak sold good for example, while the second bombed. On PS2.

I wrote this, among other things, in the SEGA mature titles thread:

You need to spend money to make money, and they don't do the former for the most part. They also have the nerve to complain they can't compete against Nintendo's highly polished expansive and well marketed products like Super Mario Galaxy. No shit Sherlock. When we say Wii development costs less it doesn't mean that you put your interns on the job, it should mean that your top tier developers have less work to do since they don't need to create 5 layers of textures and add insane amounts of detail on a character's face to have lifelike animations. It should mean development costs are on par with last generation instead of the many times over increase that HD development has spurred. Not that you put out dodgy products nobody would buy on any console and expect them to sell. I'm glad they don't, and if they did people would just say they don't need to put effort anyway as shit games can sell and we'd still not see good efforts on Wii [ed: this is what happened with UC after all, instead of leading to a proper RE game, it brought a direct sequel].

Whatever, I'm content with my PC for the "AAA" stuff (which I play less and less nowadays) and my Wii for its less mainstream creative titles like Little King's Story and of course Nintendo's own games and the occasional 3rd party "AAA" title like MHTri and whatever's next. That SEGA won't fund MadWorld redux for it is hardly an issue for any gamer, though everyone should feel their intelligence is insulted when they try to convince him their failures are the Wii's fault.

PS: I'm not trying to put Darkside Chronicles down. CAVIA did amazing work, but it's still yet another lightgun shooter, which is not what people wanted, as they didn't want on rails Dead Space and didn't want top down Grand Theft Auto, so expecting it to sell with little marketing was stupid. It could have probably sold at least as much as House of the Dead: Overkill if it was handled better, which should be enough to make a good profit for such a game. Selling these games for full price is a bad decision. People don't consider they offer the same value. I'm sure their development cost doesn't warrant full price. Overkill sold much better after the price cut, while 2 & 3 with its budget price is one of the best selling.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Marzy

If they were only going to continue making those on-rail shooters, then I'm glad they won't be making any more "mature" games for the Wii. Apart from The House of the Dead: Overkill, none of them interest me. Also, I can't remember when on-rail shooters on home consoles were ever big sellers.

The Wii market is a tough one though, it seems like the consumers don't know what they want. If they released a proper Resident Evil, I doubt it still wouldn't sell that well.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#33  Edited By Ping5000

Unless it's something Resident Evil-related, I doubt anything M-rated will hit the Wii, unless it's an effort that took 10 minutes and had a developer's idle hand slapping the keyboard while he was eating a sandwich or something.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PureRok

A game with an M rating != good game.

Let's stop focusing on whether a game is rated Mature and start focusing on making the damn games good.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Marzy
    @PureRok said:
    " A game with an M rating != good game.  Let's stop focusing on whether a game is rated Mature and start focusing on making the damn games good. "
    It's not about how good they are either, people still won't buy them. There's tons of fantastic software for the Wii, but they still don't sell in millions, like they do on the 360 or PS3.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok
    @Marzy said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " A game with an M rating != good game.  Let's stop focusing on whether a game is rated Mature and start focusing on making the damn games good. "
    It's not about how good they are either, people still won't buy them. There's tons of fantastic software for the Wii, but they still don't sell in millions, like they do on the 360 or PS3. "
    I don't care about sales. I care about good games. I don't know why people talk about sales so much. It's not like you get payed if they sell more.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Marzy
    @PureRok said:
    " @Marzy said:
    " @PureRok said:
    It's not about how good they are either, people still won't buy them. There's tons of fantastic software for the Wii, but they still don't sell in millions, like they do on the 360 or PS3. "
    I don't care about sales. I care about good games. I don't know why people talk about sales so much. It's not like you get payed if they sell more. "
    This thread is about sales, of course I want a good game. I was just saying, that even good games on Wii don't always sell well.

Like I said, the Wii audience is tough to crack, it seems.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Meowayne
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Zack and Wiki was always destined to fail in my eyes, that games character design was totally fucked up, as is the name of the game.   I'm glad I'll never have to hear that extremely annoying baby sound shit coming out of Wiki.  "
    Ha. Yes. I played Zack&Wiki exclusively with the sound turned off. The graphics/character design I could live with, many levels even had their charm, but the sound design was ABSYMAL, not only bad, but really painful, especially the sound samples of both Zack & Wiki. 

Played with the sound turned off and listening to some good music instead, Zack&Wiki is an excellent game.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Emilio said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

I liked it better when it was Treasure Island Z, and it being a very early Wii game, I can excuse its baby sounds.  Its just the idea of the game, a point and click puzzle adventure, that relied entirely on the controller, and had some pretty nice looking graphics... I dunno. Its just a nice title. "

When Capcom first showed Zack and Wiki way back when, I told everyone the game would bomb based on it's character design alone, then I heard it's Western title... 

Those sounds drove me fucking crazy when I was trying to work out puzzles. Zack and Wiki is a great game in concept, there's no denying that, but it has major issues that have been directly responsible for it bombing. I think that despite it's ill conceived character design, it does have excellent art design elsewhere, and throughout - those tribes are funny, they're really well animated, and the games environments are awesome.  

• Terrible main character design which has no coherence to Western players 
    • Terrible title - Zack & Wiki : The Quest for Barbaros Treasure
    • Terrible sound design
    • Way too easy for older players 
    • Not enough diversity in puzzles - rehashing

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Marzy said:

" @PureRok said:

Software that doesn't sell on WIi wouldn't sell anywhere. If you think MadWorld has the same kind of appeal Gears of War does you're mistaken. It's black & white. In most cases these have a low budget in any case. Some flop worse than you'd think, but none would fare that much better elsewhere. Unless you've seen so many succesful lightgun shooters on PS360 or quirky low budget games from companies the mainstream doesn't care about like Little King's Story that do multimillion sales, or 2D platformers like A Boy and His Blob and Muramasa that sell well.

The Wii is niche land for a reason. Most good efforts sell enough to continue making them with the appropriate budget. If it wasn't for Wii, these games wouldn't exist at all, their development wouldn't even be justified, rather than exist on other systems and perform better. I don't see why people think games with a fraction of the cost of the big sellers like Nintendo's games or big budget CAPCOM games on the PS360 should perform just as good in sales. It's ridiculous. If those games could sell well then no company would ever spend money, we wouldn't keep hearing about ever increasing development costs. The Wii offers a system where lower budget games are somewhat more acceptable and smaller companies can be more competitive without spending all their money in flashy graphics that are on par with other systems. That is why we have a diverse library full of quirky games that underperform compared to something like GTA but perform well for their company and budget.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Snail

The poor sales of games such as House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld, and their somewhat average reviews, are a huge motivation for not making mature titles for the Wii. It is just not the consoles target audience. The group of people looking for Mature titles on the Wii are a small minority. House wives are not exactly looking forward to slaying people, or shooting zombies. The hardcore Nintendo community still has Zelda and Mario games to keep themselves entertained.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Al3xand3r

Overkill sold good, as did other mature games, so your post makes no sense. Average reviews have nothing to do with the casual audience, unless you went and read housewife reviews. Most are simply average games that wouldn't sell anywhere. The motiovation should be to make better games, not to move to other systems that they already exploit anyway, else they'll saturate the market there also. Average games like Bionic Commando don't sell on HD platforms anyway, why should they sell on Wii? The Wii's an untapped market for many companies and dumb decisions keep them from making more money, not the audience or any other factors out of their control. CAPCOM made ammends with MHTri and was rewarded for it, Square will make ammends with Dragon Quest X and be rewarded for it, Nintendo's big budget highly marketed efforts are always rewarded (but also underperform if the game's not great, like Wii Music). Spend money and you'll make money, it's as simple as that.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Marzy
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Marzy said:

" @PureRok said:

Software that doesn't sell on WIi wouldn't sell anywhere. If you think MadWorld has the same kind of appeal Gears of War does you're mistaken. It's black & white. In most cases these have a low budget in any case. Some flop worse than you'd think, but none would fare that much better elsewhere. Unless you've seen so many succesful lightgun shooters on PS360 or quirky low budget games from companies the mainstream doesn't care about like Little King's Story that do multimillion sales, or 2D platformers like A Boy and His Blob and Muramasa that sell well.The Wii is niche land for a reason. Most good efforts sell enough to continue making them with the appropriate budget. If it wasn't for Wii, these games wouldn't exist at all, their development wouldn't be justified, rather than exist on other systems and perform better. I don't see why people think a game that has a fraction of the cost of the big sellers on other systems should perform just as good to justify its existence. It shouldn't. "
    Your putting words into my mouth, I never said that about Madworld. If you've read my previous posts you will know that I hate Madworld, it's one of the worst games I've ever played. I also never said anything anything about what you said in your last sentence.

I'll leave it at that though...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, I didn't, MadWorld was just an example. Whatever game you think would perform better on other systems, actually wouldn't, as no game's problem has been the Wii's audience, only the way the game was handled, its quality, its own lacking appeal outside a particular niche.

The last sentence was not directly confronting something you said, but something you implied. You imply you expect sales as good as on other systems. From what software? There is absolutely no high budget Wii software aside from Nintnedo's own games that do perform great, and Monster Hunter Tri in Japan which did perform great. Everything else has been a low budget effort that would not perform better anywhere, and exists solely thanks to the Wii as development would have never been greenlit for any other system. Like lightgun shooters nobody makes.

What's even more ridiculous is nobody calls games like Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon flops on 360, despite being vast RPG games, but a game like Overkill which is a short, cheaply made, outsourced niche title is told to be a flop despite achieving similar sales. Its sales were great for it.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Emilio
    @Snail said:
    " The poor sales of games such as House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld, and their somewhat average reviews, are a huge motivation for not making mature titles for the Wii. It is just not the consoles target audience. The group of people looking for Mature titles on the Wii are a small minority. House wives are not exactly looking forward to slaying people, or shooting zombies. The hardcore Nintendo community still has Zelda and Mario games to keep themselves entertained. "
    The problem is with the games themselves. Some of the self proclaimed "harcore" gamers own a Wii or have a Wii in the household. The problem is that games like MadWorld and Overkill go over board. They try to cater to whatever a "mature" game is, but only end up as immature and poor efforts by their publisher. The games focus on their uber gore and profanity, so they with that they lose time to work on gameplay. And because they lose focus on gameplay, they receive poor reviews. And because they receive poor revies, they and up with abysmal sales. 

Also, remember that they are dishing out these games in a format (rail shooters/beat 'em ups) that are considers to be outdated by kids. 
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Marzy
    @Al3xand3r said:

" No, I didn't, MadWorld was just an example. Whatever game you think would perform better on other systems, wouldn't. "

I think some would.

How would you know?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Al3xand3r

God told me. Or I use common sense. Why does nobody make lightgun shooters on PS360? Because more people wouldn't buy them and they'd require a higher budget than Wii games if they were to have appealing to the HD audience graphics on par with other productions. Why does nobody port his games that supposedly flopped because of the Wii? Surely that would be easy money, yes? No, because they know they wouldn't sell anywhere else either (and before someone mentions the No More Heroes port, that is ported because it was succesful, not the opposite, and I wouldn't expect it to do better on PS3 than on Wii anywhere except Japan where marketing wasn't what it could have been for the Wii release).

It's the same old Chinatown Wars DS story. Everyone run to blame the DS for being unable to sell big mature franchises but the PSP port, which does have better graphics so must have cost more than the average port, and where GTA games have sold excellently many times before, actually performed even worse (while the DS version has achieved pretty respectable sales by now, like several of the so called Wii bombs). Why? The game was great surely. It was, but it was niche, just like GTA always was before GTA3. Top down GTA just isn't what most people want. On rails Dead Space isn't what people want. On rails RE for a second time isn't what people want. Etc for all niche titles, which aren't even good as CW.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Marzy
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " God told me. Or I use common sense. "
    It's not common sense though, otherwise the developer would know this. If you think you know it all, then maybe you should get a job for some of them.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Al3xand3r

The developers do know this, hence most of those games aren't ported elsewhere to make up for the supposed loss, even though it would be piss easy with the Wii's inferior hardware as games would run fast, or faster than on Wii, even with a sloppy job. Read the rest of the post.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Marzy

As William Goldman was famous for saying "Nobody knows anything".  Your just a gamer, how would you know?

I won't be posting any more though. I can't be bothered debating over something that's not important.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.