Okamiden

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

UPDATE: 

The new game will be featured in the September 3rd issue of Famitsu according to a Japanese 7- Eleven listing of the magazine:  

http://www.7andy.jp/magazine/detail/-/accd/T0352140  

My guess is that Capcom will make an official announcement on September 1st  

Capcom have filed a trademark for, "Okamiden", could this be a sequel to Clover's masterpiece?. 

#2 Edited by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Well it's only natural that i get totally stoked about this. Okami's among my favourite games.

Though without Clover behind it, i'm a bit sceptical that it could live up to the greatness of the first. It would be great if they could outsource development to PlatinumGames. Still, it's bound to look gorgeous taking the art style into HD, and I hope they nail the soundtrack again.

Looking forward to more info. I'd be hopeful in saying TGS, but it seems too soon.

#3 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -

Okami without Clover is not Okami.

And if I'm not mistaken, Okami's sales were awful(as were those of Clover's other games -- that's why Capcom fired them)... why would they make a sequel?

#4 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

No, no no... Please don't let this be true.

#5 Posted by ThomasP (1653 posts) -

I would like to see Okami live on. It sucks that it wouldn't be Clover developing the game, but I think another team could pull it off with a little TLC.

#6 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

I doubt just because of the "Okami" in Okamiden indicates a sequel to Okami.  

If there was a sequel, I'd actually like it to focus on a different cast than Ammy. Something in the same universe, or maybe one set in a different mythology. Just not a direct sequel.

#7 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

We can only hope...

#8 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I'm intrigued, however I (like everyone else on this thread) have my doubts about how well it could be without Clover. 

#9 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Well as long as it's Japanese made with Capcom's best, I have no problem, I think they just need to be inspired by Kamiya's vision and take it further somehow, with his consultation if possible. Starting the project without would be considered disrespectful otherwise.

#10 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Well as long as it's Japanese made with Capcom's best, I have no problem, I think they just need to be inspired by Kamiya's vision and take it further somehow, with his consultation if possible. Starting the project without would be considered disrespectful otherwise. "
I doubt they'd go to the guy they fired because he and his Clover comrades were "bad for business" and ask for help.
#11 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

So, what do the japanese speaking people say? Is 大神 immediatly recognizable as connection to Okami, or is it a common combination? (Wikipedia says it means "great god")

#12 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

hope its like the original......

#13 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I want someone to bring Clover back !!!! 
Dammit they're games are some of my favorite from last generation

#14 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

On one hand, I want to get excited at the possibility of a sequel because I loved Okami, but on the other hand, do we really need or even want one, especially considering it wouldn't be done by Clover?

#15 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

This is hardly evidence of an Okami sequel.  This could be an entirely different game.

#16 Posted by C_Rakestraw (803 posts) -

As I said in the other thread about this, I'm torn on how I feel about this. This news excites me, as I'd love to see a sequel. But I'd want it developed by Clover/Platinum, as I feel it just wouldn't be the same if it were developed by anyone else.

#17 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Lots of things get trademarks but are never released.

#18 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

The new game will be featured in the September 3rd issue of Famitsu according to a Japanese 7- Eleven listing of the magazine: 

http://www.7andy.jp/magazine/detail/-/accd/T0352140 

My guess is that Capcom will make an official announcement on September 1st

Okami has actually been in the news quite a bit in Japan lately, as Capcom recently confirmed the Wii version for Japanese release on October 15

#19 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

So, wait, the belated and dodgy Wii version outdid the PS2 version's sales even while missing a region? That's pretty cool, I guess.

I guess it could give a hint about the platform of this game, if it is related to Okami after all. Then again, it's CAPCOM, so maybe not.

#20 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

The Japanese are getting these pre-order items if they order the Wii game at the e-Capcom. 

A mini porcelain Amaterasu figure along with a green bell, and a copy of the OST.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.