Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Car

Object » linked to 1586 games

Cars go places. Hopefully fast.

Are Driver Assist In Modern Cars Good or Bad For Society?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools,

As some of you know, I own a pretty solid Mercedes.  The car stops when it gets to close to something, it knows when I'm tired and plays trance music really loud, automatically adjusts depending on the weather, the windshield is built with electronics for other stuff to keep track of, and then it's also packing 400+ hp with proper racing setup to impress chicks.  It's ballin'.

Yesterday after the Philadelphia Flyers owned the fuck out of Buffalo, I went back home and took a lady friend with me.  We were still in the city and I had one hand on my iPhone 4 while I was stopping and going due to the traffic.  She ended up getting annoyed and I had enough.  Ended up speeding up when the light turned red and my car braked automatically to make sure I didn't hit the guy in front.  She went nuts, I spend a good time yelling at her telling her she was more of a distraction than my iPhone was.

I've had this car for almost a year now and have been pretty safe due to the Driver Assist, now some people say this makes you a worse driver.  I say not, I say it frees you up to do more important things like making sure you are focused on your surroundings and making sure cops aren't nearby or other trouble isn't close. 

Let's be honest here, it's 2011...why are we using non-technology while we still drive?  We've been driving with the same limitations for almost 100 years, and now technology has caught up to help drivers of all type to prevent accidents.  Sure, some old-timers say it's more of a distraction...but really, is GPS a distraction?  Are airbags a distraction?  Are the countless of other inovations to cars a distraction?

I say, these features will be standard in all cars before 2020 hits...as other car companies tend to follow Mercedes in 4-10 years, depending on the country.  Hell, even Google presses the automotive industry to have these features.  Sure everyones wants WiFi, iPod docks, and other technology but the second we program the car to protect us, people tend to go crazy.  Maybe people fear that the car has control over the car, or maybe some people just don't trust it?  Regardless, this will be the standard in the coming years, so get used to it.

Realistically though, if you saw someone texting while they were in the city....would you prefer if their car had the driver assist or not?
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By matpaget
    @KaosAngel said:
    Realistically though, if you saw someone texting while they were in the city....would you prefer if their car had the driver assist or not?
    "
    I would prefer they not text at all.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NickL

Driver Assist is ok as long as people don't use it as a crutch for their driving (which it sounds like you do).  It only takes one time to fail for you to crush your pretty little car along with someone else's car.

@KaosAngel said:

"
    If i saw someone texting while driving i would hope they just kill themselves by running into a tree instead of take out a family when they crash.
    Seriously, I don't give a fuck if you have driving assist or not, texting while driving is unacceptable.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McGhee

I know not of this strange technology you speak of, spaceman. My motor carriage was built in 2008 and is what we call an "economy" car. In my time, we had to actually use our feet to push the pedals and brake! Tell me, time traveler, have they yet made the hover board?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
    @NickL: @MatPaget: Let's be honest, it's 2011.  You aren't going to stop people from texting while they drive, it's gonna happen we're too connected as a society.  That's why these assists are needed, hell Google even hopes for fully automative cars so we can focus on our daily life while the car drives us.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

If you're the kind of dickhead that uses his phone when you drive, you don't deserve to. Then again, you're always so self entitled that problems like this probably go in one ear and out of the other. Just because "using phones has become a social norm", doesn't give you the right to encourage distractions of your own volition

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By TehFlan

I watched I Robot man, I know how this shit ends. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta
    @Fallen189 said:
    " If you're the kind of dickhead that uses his phone when you drive, you don't deserve to. Then again, you're always so self entitled that problems like this probably go in one ear and out of the other. Just because "using phones has become a social norm", doesn't give you the right to encourage distractions of your own volition "
    or if you really need to use your phone, you can even get a hands free device for it.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Aus_azn
    @NickL said:
    "@KaosAngel said:

"
    If i saw someone texting while driving i would hope they just kill themselves by running into a tree instead of take out a family when they crash. Seriously, I don't give a fuck if you have driving assist or not, texting while driving is unacceptable. "
    This. Texting while driving is absolutely unacceptable in all instances. It's kinda like drinking, only except that you're not paying attention to the road at all.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NickL
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Let's be honest, it's 2011.  You aren't going to stop people from texting while they drive, it's gonna happen we're too connected as a society."
    This is the dumbest thing I have heard.  I have been driving for 3+ years and have never texted while driving.  What makes me any different then the people who text while driving?  I have a brain and actually use it.  Now if you try to argue that society is too stupid or arrogant to think that they would ever kill someone by texting while driving like the other hundreds of people that do it every day, I would definitely agree with you on that point.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Driving assists are there to be used in addition to safe driving practices. Not so you can pay less attention.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @NickL: @MatPaget: Let's be honest, it's 2011.  You aren't going to stop people from texting while they drive, it's gonna happen we're too connected as a society.  That's why these assists are needed, hell Google even hopes for fully automative cars so we can focus on our daily life while the car drives us. "
    One does not directly lead to the other.  Texting or talking on the phone while driving are poor habits, not unavoidable behaviors.

And in any case, fully-automated cars are a pipe dream.  There's no way to ensure that they'd be any safer than a car driven by a human.  Accidents would be bound to happen.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Aus_azn: But most cars now let you text while you speak it out to the car and it sends.  Cars are adopting to our live styles to keep us safe, these innovations are saving our lives.  Look at how many texting accidents there were over the past few years and none of them were with cars that have driver assist, so it works.  
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By thehexeditor
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Sup fools,
    "
    Stopped reading.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

Also, for people who don't live in a major city in the East Coast, traffic is inch to inch on every block.  The vast majority do text and the worst that happens is a 100 dollar bumper scratch.  No one is stupid enough to text on the highway, this is about the city driving.

City Driving =/= Suburbs, etc.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aus_azn
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Aus_azn: But most cars now let you text while you speak it out to the car and it sends.  Cars are adopting to our live styles to keep us safe, these innovations are saving our lives.  Look at how many texting accidents there were over the past few years and none of them were with cars that have driver assist, so it works.   "
    Most people are not going to spend $1000+ on an in-car navigation system just so that they get voice recognition software. Most dealers won't even fit it unless you special-order the car and wait. Not even Mercedes or Audi, unless you're opting for their limousine-class sedans. This technology has existed for at least the past 5 years and has yet to go mainstream.

And that's not the problem here. The problem is that I literally see people with either one or two hands off the wheel trying to text manually. This isn't a car thing, this is a phone thing. How do you even get distracted in such a boneheaded way with speech-to-text? My phone is just hitting one button in the corner and it'll engage Google's voice recognition software to do texting magic. I don't even need to hold the phone, which it sounds like you were doing.

Of course, I don't even do that. My phone is my sound system in my '03 9-5 and my '08 C-klasse.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By FireBurger

Driver assist helps free up your mind for more important things? More important things than driving? While driving? OK...

Put down the fucking phone, stop running red lights, and learn to drive. I've yet to have so much as a fender bender thanks to nothing but dexterity and competence -- two seeming rarities these days. If you can't be assed to be responsible for driving your own ass around, you don't belong behind a wheel.

Can driver assist be useful in certain situations? Yes. Should it be implemented so people can be irresponsible morons? No.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Good God. I envision a future where those fat-asses from WALL-E are sitting in those automatic cars from Minority Report. Sad.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NickL
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Also, for people who don't live in a major city in the East Coast, traffic is inch to inch on every block.  The vast majority do text and the worst that happens is a 100 dollar bumper scratch.  No one is stupid enough to text on the highway, this is about the city driving.

City Driving =/= Suburbs, etc.
    "
    I think you are missing the point
    When everyone here says texting while driving is unacceptable, they don't actually mean "Texting is acceptable in some scenarios."
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

drive assisst would be fine as long as cars dont become into personal, automated rail carts in the future.  if i dont want to drive ill take the bus or the taxi

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Aus_azn: You have a fancy Android phone I take it, the majority of Americans own an iPhone and lack speech-to-text.  And yes, it is a cultural thing and it won't go away.  Millions of new tweens will start driving and they will be texting, they will become the standard and car companies will make sure more driver assists are there to stop accidents. 

So it works.  Newer Generation needs the technology -> Companies improve safety and assists -> Safer driving.
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cameron
    @KaosAngel:

I think you are right that driver assist features are beneficial safety features, but some of your claims are a little strong. You can't say that driving assists work simply because none of the texting accidents have happened in cars that have these features (which is I claim I find dubious anyway). There are a number of other factors that could contribute to that result. Most importantly, most of the people who are texting while driving are young, and can't afford cars that have these features. If they don't have the cars, then they can't crash them either. I'm not saying that driving assists wouldn't help, just that you can't claim that the assists are responsible for preventing all texting while driving accidents when they are present.

Also, people are definitely stupid enough to text on the highway. It might not be as common as in the city, but there are definitely people who do it.
    monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By monstersnsoup

I think that car companies should make their cars terrifying to drive again, and force people to really concentrate on not dying. The only thing you should be concentrating on while driving is driving. Safety devices are not an excuse for bad driving.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickL
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I went back home and took a lady friend with me.  We were still in the city and I had one hand on my iPhone 4 while I was stopping and going due to the traffic.  She ended up getting annoyed and I had enough.  Ended up speeding up when the light turned red and my car braked automatically to make sure I didn't hit the guy in front.  She went nuts, I spend a good time yelling at her telling her she was more of a distraction than my iPhone was.
    "
    Sorry, I just skimmed over your post the first time and didn't read this part.
    This part explains everything, you are just a huge asshole.
    Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wally

Driving assist will only work if everybody on the road were on the same network. It's either all or nothing....there is no happy (or safe) medium.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Wally said:
    " Driving assist will only work if everybody on the road were on the same network. It's either all or nothing....there is no happy (or safe) medium. "
    That's what the majority of companies are pushing for.  Each car has it's own network that talks to other cars, it's innovations like this that help society multi-task while they drive.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scapegoat
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Wally said:

" Driving assist will only work if everybody on the road were on the same network. It's either all or nothing....there is no happy (or safe) medium. "
    That's what the majority of companies are pushing for.  Each car has it's own network that talks to other cars, it's innovations like this that help society multi-task while they drive. "
    They are not created to help people multi-task, they're created to save lives! Relying on it too much is detrimental!

If your driver assist can break as safely and within the same distance at speed as a driver then I don't see any major problem with using it to fall back on. The problem comes when your are over-reliant on the system, when you drive your friends car home and forget that his car doesn't have any driving assists and you get into that perfect storm situation where your going to have an accident. When your learning to drive your taught to always be mindful of your surroundings, always check your mirrors and blindspots. You don't form these habits because there are constant threats and dangers that you need to be aware of that can only be seen in the mirrors but rather for that 1/1000 or 1/10,000 or 1/1,000,000 chance stuff does go south. Perhaps someone else isn't paying attention and ran a red light heading straight for you.....
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Driving should be removed all together. We need trains and shit like Japan. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Vinny_Says

I think you fail to understand the purpose of driving assists....

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ch3burashka

Until we get to the point where cars drive themselves, keep your eyes on the fucking road. It only takes one.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lokno

I'd prefer it if thousands of individuals weren't independently in control of the speed and safely of my commute each and every day. These systems could do a much better job than we do, especially since they could work together for more complex traffic patterns. No idea how something like that could ever be feasible in the reality of a modern transportation ecosystem, but that's at least where I hope it's all headed.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't understand why we need driving assists in the first place. Sure, I'm supportive of cars becoming mostly automated at some point but is it really that difficult to drive? Terrible drivers amuse me.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Skald

Someone crashed into my truck the other day, and for all I know, it could've been because the driver was texting.

So yeah, I'm not getting you're whole "blame society/technology" thing.
    Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wally
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " I don't understand why we need driving assists in the first place. Sure, I'm supportive of cars becoming mostly automated at some point but is it really that difficult to drive? Terrible drivers amuse me. "
    I agree.

The problem is that these days we give out a license like we do free samples. Here (Ontario, Canada) you get a license simply by passing a written test. You get your first level of license known as a G1 without even stepping into a car. Add in recent technology like texting and live television and it becomes dangerous very quickly. 

Countries in Europe that have strict rules in getting licenses often have lower accident rates. Some don't even have speed limits in certain areas.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35  Edited By JasonR86

I think driver assists are find as long as a) people still know how to drive a car without the assists and b) people don't overly rely on them.  I don't care what happens a computer can't keep up with 'in-the-moment' events as well as an alert human.  Let me direct your attention to Star Trek: The Next Generation.  In one episode, the Enterprise has to fly through an asteroid field for a mission but everyone is afraid of doing this as, in simulations, the computer was unable to pilot the ship safely through the asteroids.  Picard ends up piloting the ship himself, manually without any computer aids, and succeeds.  The lesson learned; computers can't make up for human intuition, instinct and reflexes.

And if Star Trek is against the over-reliance on computer aids than you better well believe I am!  
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Skytylz

When people I'm with text and drive, it pisses me off.  I'll admit I do it on rare occasions, but I try not to. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DystopiaX

It should be there, but you seem to be using Driver Assists as an excuse to be an asshole while you drive....they're there to help, not to let you text while driving. So yeah, driver assists are good, but stop doing stupid shit in your car.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aus_azn
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Aus_azn: You have a fancy Android phone I take it, the majority of Americans own an iPhone and lack speech-to-text.  And yes, it is a cultural thing and it won't go away.  Millions of new tweens will start driving and they will be texting, they will become the standard and car companies will make sure more driver assists are there to stop accidents. So it works.  Newer Generation needs the technology -> Companies improve safety and assists -> Safer driving. "

First off, Android phones are cheaper than the iPhone in general measure and are therefore not "fancy". Everyone I know totes an iPhone solely because it's got Apple's little apple on the back because it is. Kinda like an expensive purse.

Since you insist on shutting down every possible opposition to your assertion that driver assists are brilliant and that everyone else is wrong while being an ass about it, I say in the great words of Cave Johnson:

"We're done here".

(My own post has been flagged for good measure; I'll let the mods do what they want.) EDIT: So apparently you can't do that. Whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.