Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Card Hunter

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 13, 2015

Card Hunter is a free-to-play online card-combat game from former Irrational/Looking Glass duder, Jonathan Chey.

Card Hunter is out today! My early impressions

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Benny
    The game attempts to emulate the feel of a real life DND / Board game experience with tactical RPG elements.
    The game attempts to emulate the feel of a real life DND / Board game experience with tactical RPG elements.

Free to play browser game Card Hunter was released today and due to my love of tactical RPGs and Card battling games, and also the need to find something to distract me from the search for a Hearthstone key I thought I'd give it a go!

Quick warning, the server connectivity is busted right now and I can't progress the campaign (which is why I'm writing this.) If you are disconnected you have to replay the current mission, so bear that in mind. Edit: The bug I ran into involves you getting more units from the tavern than the tutorial allows accidentally and then the story cannot progress, so just do exactly as the tutorial says and you should avoid it.

The game at its most basic involves you having 3 characters on a square grid that have their own paper dolls to equip with items.

The paper doll
    The paper doll

Each item you equip gives that character cards that become part of their deck.

In the actual game, each character draws 4 cards from their deck and you can play any card from any of your character's hands once per turn.

After you play a card, the enemy can play a card, and this back and forth continues until both players 'pass,' at which point, all characters draw cards based on their draw number (and if they have more than 2 cards in their hand at that time, they must discard cards until they reach 2 cards remaining in their hand, then they draw) then a new round begins.

This is all explained very well in the early tutorial abilitease and so far I'm having fun with it 4 missions in.

Some of the game's modules
    Some of the game's modules

In the single player campaign you take on set missions and get loot and XP at the end to power up your characters and further your progress in the 'module' (the game's premise is that you're playing a tabletop card / board game / DND hybrid with a friend.)

There's two types of currency, one is gold earned from questing and selling items and such, the other is pizza which you buy with real cash and you earn some of early on from quests.

The paid currency pizza can be converted to gold but the only stuff you can buy with pizza you can't get elsewhere is skins and quest packs (and you can buy half of the quest packs with the pizza you get from early quests if you so choose, though some of this information I gleaned from beta forums and might be inaccurate now, I'll update this post when I know more.)

Pizza can also be spent to join the 'card hunter club' which gets you an extra item in every loot chest you open that is a guaranteed rare item.

Ze multiplayer
    Ze multiplayer

There's competitive multiplayer that uses matchmaking to pair you up with someone of a similar level of items and all characters are automatically level 18 to help avoid imbalance (though I'm sure some will exist early on.)

I'm not sure how singleplayer and multiplayer stuff carries over between the two (i.e. can single player items be used in multiplayer.) When I find out I'll update this post.

According to this post on their forums stuff might carry over:

Pizza:

This is the real-money currency in Card Hunter. Over the course of the first dozen or so adventures you'll receive 150 Pizza for free. The game will suggest you buy treasure chests and costumes, but there are better ways to spend it.

If you're primarily interested in single player, save this Pizza for additional single player adventures (called treasure hunts) that you'll begin to see around level 6. It costs 330 Pizza ($10) to unlock all of the treasure hunts, but that 150 will be enough for the first few.

If you think you'll play a lot of multiplayer then use your Pizza to buy a couple extra multiplayer Starter Packs. Each Starter Pack comes with three characters and 30 items, all of which are usable in multiplayer and single player. The game will give you the Adventurers pack for free when it introduces you to multiplayer. After that I'd recommend you grab Fierce Dwarf, Elven Magic, and/or Bash Bros.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice write up. I started playing in the beta a few weeks ago and really enjoyed what I had seen. I'm can't wait to get home tonight and actually start playing and getting to keep the items I earn now.

I'm probably going to pick up the Basic Edition Special which is a good buy for $25 bucks. On the official forums, someone actually went through during beta time and did a dollar to pizza comparison: How much does that cost.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@aviar said:

Nice write up. I started playing in the beta a few weeks ago and really enjoyed what I had seen. I'm can't wait to get home tonight and actually start playing and getting to keep the items I earn now.

I'm probably going to pick up the Basic Edition Special which is a good buy for $25 bucks. On the official forums, someone actually went through during beta time and did a dollar to pizza comparison: How much does that cost.

$25 seems about right for that, you're not gonna need to pay for anything else from the looks of it unless you get extremely invested in the game.

Can't help but laugh seeing "BEST VALUE" for pizza though, the free to play micro transaction aspect of this game is very inoffensive in the grand scheme of things so it's not too bad.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Mitch0712

I'm loving the game so much, I got the Starter Pack and a few costumes. Do you know what "Allow GM's" in Multiplayer matchmaking means?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.