Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Card Hunter

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 13, 2015

Card Hunter is a free-to-play online card-combat game from former Irrational/Looking Glass duder, Jonathan Chey.

Having a lot of fun with this game

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This game is awesome. I threw them 25 quid, considering I have been playing it solidly for a week I think thats reasonable.

Anyone else playing? Would love to see a QL on the site. Hopefully when all the friend list stuff gets sorted we can create a group/guild or something.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By audioBusting

I just started playing this after hearing about it on the Idle Thumbs podcast. I've only finished the early tutorial missions, but it's super fun so far!

I thought that with a title like "Card Hunter" it would play more like the usual CCG, but it's a lot more like a strategy RPG. I'm glad that I gave it a go.

Edit: Just read the wiki page and oh boy, there's a co-op mode coming up too! Can't wait to see how that turns out.

DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really enjoy the game as well. It's casual, yet I can see the possibility of getting really deep into the deck building. Plus, by packaging the cards within the items, they really managed to deal with the most annoying issue of CCGs, in my opinion. I just never was that interested in learning hundreds or thousands of cards and then min-maxing to the extreme. With most items having some drawback, that becomes a totally different activity. Plus, the tabletop aspect can easily mitigate a card advantage (if it is not too big). I also love the story, that they didn't go straight up fantasy, but put a twist on it. Great stuff, would also love to see a Quick Look, the game deserves more attention and if there'd be a Co-Op mode? Wow! Also: tournaments, drafts, all that jazz!

Avatar image for finnianwhitefir
    FinnianWhitefir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FinnianWhitefir

Really enjoyed it, put in $20, I like to support strategy games and quirky funny stories. They go over-the-top layering a fun meta-game on top of what would otherwise be a standard SRPG.

However... The game gets stupid hard and annoying at levels 9-12. Monsters/dungeons are made overpowered to force you to completely re-gear to beat that one specific stategy and a bad draw can fail you completely. It sucked all the fun for me out of the game.

I.E. You run into a dungeon with Geomancers, who constantly lay down effects on the group and Hover everywhere themselves. I had to change to max movement, max ranged attacks, max heals, and still failed a lot at it. The time I won the final fight, I was down to 1 guy with 2HPs.

Squill2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started playing this game after hearing about it on Idle Thumbs. Loving it so far!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jking47

Have been hearing about this game for a little bit now but was not interested. This thread made me start, enjoying it a lot! They should have picked a better name though, Card Hunter is pretty damn generic. I thought it was a CCG, but it is really more of a strategy RPG.

Squill2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Squill2k4
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

@finnianwhitefir said:

I.E. You run into a dungeon with Geomancers, who constantly lay down effects on the group and Hover everywhere themselves. I had to change to max movement, max ranged attacks, max heals, and still failed a lot at it. The time I won the final fight, I was down to 1 guy with 2HPs.

Not sure how high a level I was, but I ran into something similar where two of my party wiped, and my interest suddenly tanked. I may go back, but having that sort of a spike, and not seeing a way to re-wind and try something again really cut my interest down.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Been playing since beta, and have really enjoyed my time with this game. The difficulty does increase and it's really interesting that you don't want to go into every fight with your most powerful high level items. You really need to consider your character builds when going into a battle or re-equipping your toons after a loss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.