Here Comes a Carmageddon Reboot, Probably [UPDATED]

• 90 results
Posted by Alex (2124 posts) -
Like this, but probably in HD or something.

Update: VG247 is reporting that Square Enix is actually, in fact, not producing this Carmageddon reboot, as was originally reported around the web. Squeenix had reportedly sold off the rights some time ago to the franchise, and Stainless Games is busy making other titles based on licensed IPs (like Magic: The Gathering and Risk).

VG247 claims that some mysterious independent benefactor is behind this reboot, and that the game will definitely be announced on June 1st. However, it also will not make an appearance at E3. At the very least, the independent factor does bode well for the quality of this reboot's metal soundtrack. Squeenix probably would have just loaded it up with Stone Sour songs or something. Uck. UCK.

--

To you, I pose a question: which of the many long-dormant car combat franchises floating around in the vacuum of video game intellectual property limbo would you most like to see revived? If you said Twisted Metal, clearly you haven't been paying attention of late, as David Jaffe and company are already working on that update. If you said Road Rash, I'm right there with you, but it seems like EA is destined to just keep making promises for that one it will never, ever keep. If you said Vigilante 8, you apparently forgot about this awful XBLA remake from 2008, and also seriously? Vigilante 8? Really? If you said WWE Crush Hour, you're obviously just trolling at this point, and I hate you.

== TEASER == That pretty much just leaves Stainless Games' Carmageddon, the biblically-violent vehicular homicide franchise that originated on the PC back in 1997, and through various sequels and ports, also appeared on the PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Mac. With the proposed fourth game in the series canceled back in 2005, neither hide nor hair of the series has been seen since... until now.

Over at Carmageddon.com--which apparently is something that exists--a countdown timer has begun counting down to something. Between the site being registered to Square Enix Europe (the current owner of original Carmageddon publisher, SCi), the appearance of the distinctive skull-and-crossbones on the countdown page, and the fact that the website is called friggin' Carmageddon.com, it seems altogether safe to assume that this is a countdown to some kind of announcement of a Carmageddon reboot/sequel/remake--or reseqmake, if you're into that whole brevity thing.

The countdown is set to expire at 5am on June 1st (Eastern Standard Time), which puts this presumed announcement a full week ahead of E3. That should give everyone a solid week's worth of time to argue tirelessly about what metal band's music should comprise the bulk of the soundtrack, before the deluge of everything else at E3 swallows this announcement whole. I'm going with Watain, personally.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2124 posts) -
Like this, but probably in HD or something.

Update: VG247 is reporting that Square Enix is actually, in fact, not producing this Carmageddon reboot, as was originally reported around the web. Squeenix had reportedly sold off the rights some time ago to the franchise, and Stainless Games is busy making other titles based on licensed IPs (like Magic: The Gathering and Risk).

VG247 claims that some mysterious independent benefactor is behind this reboot, and that the game will definitely be announced on June 1st. However, it also will not make an appearance at E3. At the very least, the independent factor does bode well for the quality of this reboot's metal soundtrack. Squeenix probably would have just loaded it up with Stone Sour songs or something. Uck. UCK.

--

To you, I pose a question: which of the many long-dormant car combat franchises floating around in the vacuum of video game intellectual property limbo would you most like to see revived? If you said Twisted Metal, clearly you haven't been paying attention of late, as David Jaffe and company are already working on that update. If you said Road Rash, I'm right there with you, but it seems like EA is destined to just keep making promises for that one it will never, ever keep. If you said Vigilante 8, you apparently forgot about this awful XBLA remake from 2008, and also seriously? Vigilante 8? Really? If you said WWE Crush Hour, you're obviously just trolling at this point, and I hate you.

== TEASER == That pretty much just leaves Stainless Games' Carmageddon, the biblically-violent vehicular homicide franchise that originated on the PC back in 1997, and through various sequels and ports, also appeared on the PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Mac. With the proposed fourth game in the series canceled back in 2005, neither hide nor hair of the series has been seen since... until now.

Over at Carmageddon.com--which apparently is something that exists--a countdown timer has begun counting down to something. Between the site being registered to Square Enix Europe (the current owner of original Carmageddon publisher, SCi), the appearance of the distinctive skull-and-crossbones on the countdown page, and the fact that the website is called friggin' Carmageddon.com, it seems altogether safe to assume that this is a countdown to some kind of announcement of a Carmageddon reboot/sequel/remake--or reseqmake, if you're into that whole brevity thing.

The countdown is set to expire at 5am on June 1st (Eastern Standard Time), which puts this presumed announcement a full week ahead of E3. That should give everyone a solid week's worth of time to argue tirelessly about what metal band's music should comprise the bulk of the soundtrack, before the deluge of everything else at E3 swallows this announcement whole. I'm going with Watain, personally.

Staff
#2 Posted by Swoxx (2998 posts) -

Awesome, had so much fun with this game back in the 90s

#3 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I like how my friend always got pissed off at me for running over the dogs. Mow down the people but spare the poor doggies! He's a member of PETA now. 

#4 Posted by Thuggish (103 posts) -

I loved the original game, and the 2nd one, too.  I hope the possible remake is remotely as good as those two were.

#5 Edited by gkl (4 posts) -

Nevermind, i fail.

#6 Posted by Garadon (90 posts) -

Me want.

#7 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (349 posts) -
@gkl

The countdown is set to expire at 5am on June 1st (Eastern Standard Time)

July, no?
No
#8 Posted by Metal_Mills (2996 posts) -

Do want! Only if it has full gore though. I want it to give the new MK a run for its money!

#9 Posted by Dopey2400 (72 posts) -

Oh my

#10 Posted by Altrezia (25 posts) -

CANNOT WAIT. C1 and C2 were probably my favorite games ever. I used to make addon cars for C2, and spent many a year wasting my life killing peds.

Fan-feckin'-tastic!

#11 Posted by weegieanawrench (1938 posts) -

OH MY GOD. I want this to happen so hard. Carmageddon 2 was so much fun. Bring back Mike Hunt.

#12 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

Sweet. I've been thinking about how they should revive it for years now. I realize it'll probably suck.

#13 Posted by ApocalypseLater (100 posts) -

Man this brings back some great memories.  There are two things I remember vividly about playing these games. Driving on to a football field while a game was going on, and getting the lightning power up and turning into a mobile tesla coil.

#14 Posted by Foggen (847 posts) -

I am irrationally excited about this.  Carmageddon 2 was amazing and broken.

#15 Posted by zeezkos (64 posts) -

a racing game where i didn't necessarily have to drive better than everyone else, which was great.. coz i couldn't  =) 

#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4482 posts) -

Carmageddon 1 = super fun.
Carmageddon 2 = super fun.

#17 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

@alex: reseqmake!? You can do better than that! A requel, perhaps? What if it is a prequel to the original Carmageddon? A prequoot? A brequel!?

A Reba!?

#18 Posted by Nocall (353 posts) -

aww, no V8 love? the original was one of my favorite n64 games to bust out when there was four people over

#19 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Loved the first 2, also getting the pinball mode powerup then targeting things with the springs. 3rd Carmageddon was okay just something missing off it from being as fun as the first 2.

#20 Posted by MmaFanQc (102 posts) -

the first carmageddon on pc was awesome!

#21 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -

Unggghhh yessssssssssssssss.

#22 Posted by gkl (4 posts) -
@BeefyGrandmole said:
@gkl

The countdown is set to expire at 5am on June 1st (Eastern Standard Time)

July, no?
No
I failed there quite badly. :(
#23 Edited by WulfBane (191 posts) -

I had some fond memories of Carmageddon 1.  Never played any of the sequels, but for some reason running over civilians for points felt good back then even before GTA was a thing.  In fact, first time playing GTA3 at a friends house, I basically went into "Carmageddon Mode" in just driving on the sidewalks.

The real question is what direction are they going to go with their "relationship" with Death Race 2000.  I recall the first game having some cars that looked similar to those in the original movie (I think it even started based on the movie) but then kind of had to move a bit away from that look.

#24 Posted by Devildoll (879 posts) -

i got a cd of carmageddon somewhere , and yeah , id like a new one!

carmageddon and twisted metal both making a return , this is cool

#25 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Probably!

#26 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -
@Tebbit: A requel would be if they first remade C1, then remade C2
#27 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
I like how my friend always got pissed off at me for running over the dogs. Mow down the people but spare the poor doggies! He's a member of PETA now. 
You should put him on the show "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it".
#28 Posted by Ooame (165 posts) -

YES! Me and my brother had so many fun times playing that game over LAN! Oh the nostalgia...

#29 Posted by Hero_Swe (1135 posts) -

The best game ever is returning, finally. Fucking Finally is all I have to say
#30 Posted by Getz (3004 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: why would you want fulgore in your car combat games?
#31 Posted by Metal_Mills (2996 posts) -
@Getz said:
@Metal_Mills: why would you want fulgore in your car combat games?
So I can run him over. :)
#32 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -
#33 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

I think all I ever played was the demo on one map with one car, but I had a lot of fun with that game. Of course, I was like 10. Still, very interested to see what this is.

#34 Posted by brianbeatdown (37 posts) -

Oh...my...god...YES!

#35 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

Interstate '76 was the only car combat game that was fun and classy.

Are you listening Groove?

#36 Posted by staticMethod (4 posts) -

Indeed, the Carmageddon PC games were a blast.  I hope the new one does them justice.

As for the soundtrack - doesn't Alestorm have a new album coming out soon?  Let's face facts here, there is simply not enough "True Scottish Pirate Metal" (tm) in videogames these days.
#37 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

WAY TOO FUCKING HYPED

YEAAAAAAAH
#38 Posted by Damodar (1385 posts) -

Let me just say fuuuuuuuck yessssssss

#39 Posted by perilator666 (452 posts) -

i've just soiled myself.

#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

We need a new Interstate 76, it's time to stop messing around. 

#41 Posted by Parkingtigers (175 posts) -

Put me on the excited list.  Carmageddon was awesome.

#42 Posted by PenguinDust (12512 posts) -

"mysterious independent benefactor"

For some reason that makes me think of some guy in a trenchcoat having meetings at midnight in parking garages. 
#43 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:

"mysterious independent benefactor"

For some reason that makes me think of some guy in a trenchcoat having meetings at midnight in parking garages. 
I'mma thinking this guy instead;
Anyway, colour me excited. I want to race silly cars and run down peo-I mean zomb- no, I meant floating robotic dustbins again!
#44 Posted by fisk0 (4097 posts) -

I'm pretty excited, though that Stainless aren't doing this one is a bit worrying. I hope the new team understands what made the Carmageddon games so great, so we don't end up with yet another Twisted Metal clone.

#45 Edited by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

A new Interstate '76 would be great. It was a different kind of car combat game compared to the titles listed, it actually had a story and leaned more towards a simulation almost.
Alright, now I'm going to go play Interstate '76 again,  available from GOG.

#46 Posted by Echo (391 posts) -

Hell yeah! Carmageddon was the shit! Fond memories of just driving around and crushing dudes in the football stadium that you could access.

#47 Posted by SharpShotApollo (146 posts) -

AWESOME!!!

#48 Posted by Koshka (187 posts) -
@Getz: Carmageddon was mostly about killing pedestrians, and I feel, at the time the goriest game. I think you don't know what carmageddon is.
#49 Posted by Bats (92 posts) -

Only my all time favourite car racing/combat game. Nothing's been able to come close. I hope they do not try to update it for the modern day. Just take the first game and give me updated graphics/sound and I'm sold. There's nothing else on the market like it, and Carmageddon nailed it the first time. The second was good, and the 3rd had some good mixed in with retarded ass mission stages. If it didn't have those stages it'd have been great too.

#50 Posted by Nelez (71 posts) -

Haha! Could be cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.