Anyone have some starting tips for playing as Melanie?

#1 Posted by heatDrive88 (2358 posts) -

Do you have to take your daughter to school every morning? Or do you just have to make sure to pick her up at 4:00?

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

@heatDrive88: If you can take her to school each morning and pick her up, it's better for your relationship. Overall, if you can pull it off, I would recommend taking such opportunities to bond with her more.

Good luck!

#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

It's probably best if you do walk with Laura to and from school every day. Also, be sure not to miss your court appointments.

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you get the cart the first day. Go straight to the courthouse and get a permit and a bus pass, then to the supermarket and buy all of your supplies (espresso machine, coffee, milk, cups), and then go visit Alice to get your stand set up (you'll probably need to go pick up Laura prior to your visit to the machine shop).

Also, you should probably visit the pawn shop at some point during the first few days to sell your watch and diamond ring.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

It's probably best if you do walk with Laura to and from school every day. Also, be sure not to miss your court appointments.

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you get the cart the first day. Go straight to the courthouse and get a permit and a bus pass, then to the supermarket and buy all of your supplies (espresso machine, coffee, milk, cups), and then go visit Alice to get your stand set up (you'll probably need to go pick up Laura prior to your visit to the machine shop).

Also, you should probably visit the pawn shop at some point during the first few days to sell your watch and diamond ring.

if you go get your supplies first and THEN go to the courthouse, it works out better; there's a guy there if you get there late who will give you his #2 and 1984 (I was able to pawn my shit on the first day because of this)

#5 Edited by Raven10 (1845 posts) -

Just curious, has anyone actually made the full $1000 by the end? At the rate I was going it didn't seem possible. I felt like I played it pretty well. Definitely could have done a bunch of things better but I don't think I could have made $1000 by the end even if I played flawlessly.

Also, to OP: You get your daughter to school by 7:30. If you wake up at 6:30 then you are basically losing two or three sales per day by taking her. Even if you were selling a very expensive drink, say for $8 you'd lose are $25 a day over the course of 6 days or $150. Personally I think the trade off is worth it. chances are you won't be selling drinks at that price anyways so you'll probably earn about $75 less.

#6 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@heatDrive88 said:

Do you have to take your daughter to school every morning? Or do you just have to make sure to pick her up at 4:00?

Just miss the hearing, she'll be gone then. You have plenty of time to sell coffee and find out that you are stranded at 1am without food and almost falling a sleep.. To take a long walk home only to find out the next day you ran out of money to actually buy coffee... Hmmm now I think about it, you don't want to do that..

#7 Edited by tomhunt7 (1 posts) -

I've walked Laura to school in the morning, then told her I wouldn't be able to pick her up at 4, and she seemed ok with that and I was able to work a straight 14hr day with just a small lunch break at the shop downtown and drinking some of my product to stay awake. Just don't tell Laura that you'll pick her up at 4 and then don't. She does not like that.

To make the $1000 by week's end, you need to be doing something like about $170-$200 per day. To do this you need to be a lean, mean, coffee serving machine for the entire week. Assuming you have everything up and running by Tuesday morning, this means you will need to ratchet up your prices up towards the $4 mark pretty quickly and be selling at least 50 drinks a day. Be nice to your customers (time allowing), and offer an assortment of goods. Eddie has a book of drink recipes in his bookstore that will give you some good info.

Also, to maximize the number of customers you're able to serve in a given day, price the more time consuming drinks like the latte higher so that customers prefer the quicker drinks like coffee, soda, etc. Also, Coffee (only use Grade A btw) seems to be able to sold for a pretty high price before it is considered too expensive.

#8 Posted by Glic2000 (15 posts) -

How the HECK do you go to the custody hearing? I went to the courthouse at 12 pm... and then what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.