Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Casey Hudson

Person » credited in 11 games

Former general manager at Bioware, Casey Hudson is mostly known for being the project director on the initial Mass Effect trilogy.

Casey Hudson leaves Bioware to work on Hololens

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
    deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By conmulligan

Weird! HoloLens seems way less suited to traditional games than a full VR headset, but maybe that's a good thing?

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasnt he the guy that proclaimed that the new MMO Bioware were working on was gonna redefine games as we know them etc.. the one that got canned?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Umm...sure I guess?

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will it have an ending tho?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danzig said:

Yeah, Hololens will come in three variations: Red, blue, and green.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

@danzig: the product will be available in three different colors oh god will these jokes ever end

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:
    @danzig said:

Yeah, Hololens will come in three variations: Red, blue, and green.

@snail said:

@danzig: the product will come in three colors oh god will these jokes ever end

Got my preorder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not what I was expecting him to do but it's definitely an interesting move. If Microsoft can come up with neat game mechanics with this thing alongside the obvious non-gaming productivity stuff that people are actually going to buy this for, that would be pretty cool.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wow! I can't wait to experience the taupe ending in VR!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Seriously though. Hooray? I guess? Maybe? I have to admit, I'm sorta down on the whole VR-craze that's been passing through the industry lately. As someone who still remembers standing in line with his dad for like 3 hours to play a round of Dactyl Nightmare, and then being really excited when his best friend got a Virtual Boy, it's hard to escape the feeling that VR is a bit like the flu - some new strain of it comes around every 10-15 years or so and everyone freaks out, and then it turns out to be not such a big deal. Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be super cool if things like Oculus worked out, but its really hard not to be a cynical bastard about it at this point.

Virtual Reality: Video Games' Peripheral of the Future. Since 1991.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill avoid being snarky and say good for him. Seems like a more exciting and possibly lucrative venture than more vidjya games.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That is strange to hear.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ten ways to save THOUSANDS on your insurance the government doesn't want you to know about!

She saw WHAT at the beach?

Casey Hudson chose to do WHAT?

Casey Hudson left Bioware quite some time ago. He also has a degree in engineering. He's also been with Bioware forever - with the EA purchase and the loss of the doctors, I'd imagine the company is not the same company he started working for when he graduated college.

If anything, it sounds like a more exciting project than Mass Effect FPS, energy based, multiplayer, freemium iOS game.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well dang that's a bit weird. I wish em the best though!

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PDXSonic

Aw, I thought he was going to work on a free-to-play mobile game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Hololens is the new Kinect, neat conceptually, but technically troubled and inevitably forgotten.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Today, we’re proud to announce that Casey Hudson has joined Microsoft in the role of Creative Director at Microsoft Studios, where he’s working on Microsoft HoloLens, Xbox, and other awesome projects.

So its not exclusively HoloLens, he will do Xbox things too.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

Hololens is the new Kinect, neat conceptually, but technically troubled and inevitably forgotten.

technically troubled? I haven't ready any news about this, what exactly is going wrong with it?

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tech for hololens is apparently pretty solid. Only qualm I'm seen is that right now the view angle for the "holograms" is pretty narrow.

Still don't really see it as a gaming thing though. Makes more sense as a productivity/entertainment device.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

technically troubled? I haven't ready any news about this, what exactly is going wrong with it?

AR is much harder to get right than VR and huge ass companies are struggling to get VR right. When you have to layer stuff on top of the real environment everything can go wrong really easily. You have much more variables that can just screw your AR experience. Making a game with that? Really don't know if they can do much better than those nintendo AR cards.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By mikemcn

@zombie2011 said:
    @mikemcn said:

I shouldn't say that, I haven't heard anything particular bad about it, but keep in mind that for all the promises that are made with these things, they never come close to delivering. The dream is always beyond the tech we have at hand, remember when they showed the kinect scanning in household objects into your games? Or when microsoft thought that voice control would be the greatest thing to happen on the Xbone? The technical hurdles were too great to achieve those things either at all, or in a user friendly manner. We get stuck with overpriced novelty tech that doesn't do what you want, when you want. I just wonder why we should have faith that microsoft can pull off holographic displays after something like the kinect. I hope it does well for caseys' sake!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lul wut u guise didn't see this coming?!

No Caption Provided

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

Back in January MS unvielded Hololens and journalists got hands on time with it and said it was amazing and they couldn't believe this was actually real. Fast forward 3-4 months and MS are giving another demo at their annual BUILD conference, this time journalists are a lot less impressed, specifically that FoV is absolutely tiny. What a lot of articles are excluding from this is that the Hololens they used in January was huge and it even had things hanging down (Norm has spoken about this on Tested) and the newer version is much smaller, smaller than any VR headset. So I'm guessing that in MS's attempt to make the unit smaller, they've lost out on computing hardware and thus isn't able to give as much FoV as the previous headset. Reading some of the previews about it, I'd thought the product was out and available for me to buy. Just seems strange to me that this quite clearly prototype product is being harped out about one thing that could be fixed by release while the Apple Watch is getting a pass on being an ok product but more on the potential it has.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By porjos

@zelyre said:

Ten ways to save THOUSANDS on your insurance the government doesn't want you to know about!

She saw WHAT at the beach?

Casey Hudson chose to do WHAT?

Casey Hudson left Bioware quite some time ago. He also has a degree in engineering. He's also been with Bioware forever - with the EA purchase and the loss of the doctors, I'd imagine the company is not the same company he started working for when he graduated college.

If anything, it sounds like a more exciting project than Mass Effect FPS, energy based, multiplayer, freemium iOS game.

No Caption Provided

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Itwastuesday

crazy how much money and resources all these big corporations are putting into something as unproven as VR, especially given how risk averse they usually seem to be

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

are you practicing writing headlines for Buzz feed?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure he did not leave Bioware for this, I thought he left Bioware a while ago.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By veektarius

A) Don't write post titles like that, please

B) So wait, was Casey Hudson responsible for ME3's story or not? I thought he was the guy who wrote the first one and everyone thought had been martyred into an advisory role so that EA could rampage across the countryside of MEs 2 and 3 (or maybe just 3)?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mike

@captainthunderpants: I edited your thread title per the Community Rules.

1. Vague thread titles: The reader should be able to tell what your topic is about without clicking on it. Topics with intentionally vague or misleading titles are subject to editing or deletion.

Last time I checked, we weren't on BuzzFeed. Let's try to keep it that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.