Castle Crashers Coming To PSN This Month

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Castle Crashers, indie developer The Behemoth's charming four-player beat 'em up, is coming to PSN on August 31, 2010, according to a recent dev post on The Behemoth's official website.

The game originally debuted on Xbox Live Marketplace about two years ago after an unveil at Comic-Con 2006. The PSN version of Castle Crashers was announced around July of last year, but only now has a firm release date. 

So, what took so long? That's a question The Behemoth gets a lot apparently. Its release date confirmation post specifically mentions the frequency of the question and does give a decent answer to it. Officially, the devs are citing polish as the reason for the wait. But current development on a fresh downloadable might have been playing a role in the longish delay between announcement and release.

"… our whole team’s goal is to make you all happy, so we want to share it right now," the blog post read. "We’re super antsy. But like all of our games, we can never rush anything as it’s necessary to make sure that every little piece is airtight. And fun!"

The Behemoth is taking Castle Crashers PSN on the road after its August PSN release. A four-player arcade cabinet edition of the game will be playable at PAX on September 3-5 in Booth #3102. The rig will be joined by The Behemoth's other game, BattleBlock Theater, in the booth.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Castle Crashers, indie developer The Behemoth's charming four-player beat 'em up, is coming to PSN on August 31, 2010, according to a recent dev post on The Behemoth's official website.

The game originally debuted on Xbox Live Marketplace about two years ago after an unveil at Comic-Con 2006. The PSN version of Castle Crashers was announced around July of last year, but only now has a firm release date. 

So, what took so long? That's a question The Behemoth gets a lot apparently. Its release date confirmation post specifically mentions the frequency of the question and does give a decent answer to it. Officially, the devs are citing polish as the reason for the wait. But current development on a fresh downloadable might have been playing a role in the longish delay between announcement and release.

"… our whole team’s goal is to make you all happy, so we want to share it right now," the blog post read. "We’re super antsy. But like all of our games, we can never rush anything as it’s necessary to make sure that every little piece is airtight. And fun!"

The Behemoth is taking Castle Crashers PSN on the road after its August PSN release. A four-player arcade cabinet edition of the game will be playable at PAX on September 3-5 in Booth #3102. The rig will be joined by The Behemoth's other game, BattleBlock Theater, in the booth.
#2 Posted by HawkSE (216 posts) -

Have it on 360, but glad the PSN folks will get it!

#3 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Awesome!

#4 Posted by Pathogenocide (76 posts) -

Congrats PSN, bask in the glory that is Castle Crashers.

#5 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -

Great news everybody!

#6 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Castle Crashers was great.

#7 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

Yay, co-op goodness!

#8 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (714 posts) -

Played and beat co-op with my friends on their 360 and it was great.  Now I get to play it whenever I want YAY!

#9 Posted by Gugi9000 (69 posts) -

Cool. I think. 
I wonder why I never bought it on Xbox.

#10 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

Is this $15 on XBLA? I assume it will be the same price point for PSN....

#11 Edited by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@Nadafinga said:

" Is this $15 on XBLA? I assume it will be the same price point for PSN.... "

It launched at $15 on XBLA, but considering its age and the number of times it has been on sale for $10 I can't really see them launching at that price on PSN now unless they also throw in the DLC or something for free.  If they do launch at $15, it seems very likely that it will be one of Sony's PSN sales for $10 within a couple of months.  That being said, the game is awesome and well worth the price whether it is $10 or $15.
#12 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Great, I hope the EU release is around that time. Been waiting to play Castle Crashers for ages.

#13 Posted by MisterMouse (3548 posts) -

That is awesome, I am fine with them taking that time to polish up the game.

#14 Posted by DockJaw (93 posts) -

I played Castle Crashers on a PS3 at PAX East. It was basically done. So. Yeah. I dunno.

#15 Posted by toots (457 posts) -

I love you dan.

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3715 posts) -
@Jasonofindy: The guy working at Behemoth said on the Sony Blog that it would be priced $15. Yeah, bummer.

That said, anybody else think that maybe they had some kind of publishing deal with M$ that prohibited them from releasing the game sooner on another console?
#17 Posted by silentghost227 (78 posts) -

Castle Crashers is only 10 bucks on XBLA now. Maybe the PSN version will have the DLC they released with it which could justify the 15 dollars....maybe. 

#18 Posted by Sin4profit (2923 posts) -

Oh god! someone get a picture of that Castle Crashers arcade cabinet!

#19 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2494 posts) -

omg! arcade cabinet?!
that's pretty kickass, I wonder what kind of button layout it's gonna use...

#20 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

Stamper had to go in and make the epilogue.

#21 Posted by Crono (2653 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:
" Oh god! someone get a picture of that Castle Crashers arcade cabinet! "
#22 Posted by StephenLacey (6 posts) -

Are there any differences between the two console versions?

#23 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@StephenLacey: PSN is getting an extra mode, but it's nothing major. Guess it's to make up for being almost 2 years late. 

It's called Volley Ball mode, I have no idea what it is.
#24 Posted by StephenLacey (6 posts) -
@Vorbis: I imagine it's like the one boss battle from the XBLA version, just as a multiplayer mode.
#25 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" @StephenLacey: PSN is getting an extra mode, but it's nothing major. Guess it's to make up for being almost 2 years late.   It's called Volley Ball mode, I have no idea what it is. "
Do you know if the four characters from the Necromantic and Kings pack DLCs are being rolled into the full game on PSN?
#26 Posted by Three0neFive (2291 posts) -

Still don't understand the hype over this game. Yes, it has some great humor, but the gameplay is shallow as hell and I've seen better looking games on Newgrounds.

#27 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

This just reminds me of yet another arcade game I purchased and did not finish. I really like castle crashers, just sort of fell out of it.

#28 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

I really dont have any interest in this game. I played a demo on 360 and thought it was really hard.
#29 Posted by Devil240Z (3324 posts) -

don't really care anymore. I will probably buy it though. I do have a 360 though, just not that game on it. 

#30 Edited by Dimil0c0 (25 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

" I really dont have any interest in this game. I played a demo on 360 and thought it was really hard. "

You thought Castle Crashers was hard, really? Come on. Have you ever played mega man 9?
#31 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

The arcade cabinet seems the way this game should be played - TMNT style!
#32 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -
@DimiLoco: 

No, because I could hit myself in the balls with a hammer for way cheaper then buying that Hell.
#33 Posted by Dblueguy (38 posts) -

Now PS3 owners can experience the awesomeness that is, Castle Crashers.

#34 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

Castle Crashers over Scott Pilgrim any day of the week.

#35 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -
@HawkxSx said:
"Have it on 360, but glad the PSN folks will get it! "

Thank you! I shall thoroughly enjoy it, I trust!
#36 Posted by Retro89 (5 posts) -

yay cant wait

#37 Posted by RagingWolf (61 posts) -

Will it have all of the 360 version's dlc, though?

#38 Posted by beeryayghost (329 posts) -
@Tuggah said:
" Stamper had to go in and make the epilogue. "
It would just be a lot of dicks. I mean a lot of them. Everywhere. Man.
#39 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -
@beeryayghost said:
" @Tuggah said:
" Stamper had to go in and make the epilogue. "
It would just be a lot of dicks. I mean a lot of them. Everywhere. Man. "
Finally.
#40 Posted by hbi2k (22 posts) -

Given how broken the Xbox Live multiplayer was at launch and how freaking long it took them to patch in a fix, I'd tend to think a little delay on the PSN version for "polish" is forgivable.

Of course, two years ain't exactly a "little" delay, but hey, at least you might finally get to play it sometime this decade.

#41 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -

Really fun group game.

#42 Posted by PantslessJedi (3 posts) -

Wow.  it's about time you people with PS3's get some lovin.  Enjoy this great game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.