Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castles in the Sky

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Oct 18, 2013

An incredibly short but heartwarming game about climbing into the sky.

The Wandering Mind and Castles in the Sky

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Even though Castles in the Sky was only about 10 minutes long, it felt like my heart ran an emotional marathon by the time it was over. It's the kind of sprint you’re not ready for, the result of a spur-of-the-moment decision. You aren’t fully prepared for what’s about to happen, but, hey, it’s too late now, right?

No Caption Provided

When we talk about nostalgia in games, it’s usually because a game is purposely invoking our warm, fuzzy memories. It’s why so many new games have retro aesthetics and chiptune soundtracks. In the past, these elements were a result of technical limitations. Today, it’s because we like to dance with deja vu. But nostalgia isn’t entirely about the good in life.

Our memories are a mixture of the ups and downs, the best and the worst. The most powerful emotional punches can be the ones where you project yourself into them, rather than coming away with something very specific, a reaction the writer, designer, or composer was hoping you’d walk away with. Sometimes, it’s as simple as crafting a space for your mind to walk in, the blanks filled by your emotions.

Castles in the Sky did that for me, and it was rather out of nowhere.

Castles in the Sky does not present itself as a powerful work of emotional fiction. It’s a simple 2D game with light platforming elements and objects to collect along the way. (The objects have no point to them.) You leap from cloud to cloud, moving higher and higher, as a short story about climbing into sky is told through text. Accompanying your playful movements is an appropriately calming piano soundtrack, one that grows appropriately while you move closer to...well, whatever's up there and whatever you want to be up there.

It’s weird to write about the way Castle in the Sky made me feel because it feels so specific, personal, and possibly misplaced. I cannot guarantee you’ll feel the same when when you play it, and I strongly suspect it will leave most people with a smile on their face. It's an incredibly pleasant, lighthearted game. I mean, Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch called Castles in the Sky a “hug in videogame form.” (It’s two words, man!)

Maybe I was in the mood to be manipulated because, earlier in the day, I’d read this heartbreaking story about a man photographing his wife’s battle with cancer? Maybe because I’d been thinking about how it’s Halloween, and I’d usually spend my days rapping with Ryan about crappy movies? Maybe because it takes very little, if anything, to get me to think about my dad?

That’s possible, but I don’t think that explains it. I’m inclined to think it’s because Castles in the Sky is so wonderfully, purposely vague. At most, it reminds us of the innocence, hope, and joy in stories for children, stories that we know, as adults, don’t always have happy endings. Life is grayer, more complex, and harder to explain. Castles in the Sky doesn’t have much to say, and lets your mind wander. In that 10 minutes, I didn’t spend much time thinking about what was happening on the screen. I’d pay attention to my jumps, but there is no death. The glittering rings prompted me to head in their direction, but only for their lovingly pleasant noise.

No Caption Provided

It reminds me of a good instrumental album, the kind you can lose yourself in. It’s what happens when I listen to “The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place” by Explosions in the Sky, “( )” by Sigor Ros, or “Saturdays = Youth” by M83. When I put on those albums, it puts my mind in a very specific place, one where my mind flattens and relaxes. Like the brilliant idea that comes in the shower, these albums are a cathartic release, one that help me to work out my thoughts in ways that would seem forced any other way. It happens silently, and in waves.

Castles in the Sky reminds me of that, but like anything personal, it might not feel that way to someone else, and there’s no guarantee it would work that way for me a second time around. Yoi can’t always tell what’s going to hit you, why, and if it'll come back again. Sometimes, it’s just about that one moment in time. It can’t be captured again. You’ll chase it. You’re glad it happened. You know, like nostalgia.

If you'd like to play Castles in the Sky, it's available at the developer's website for $1.50.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grissefar

Wow thanks for recommending it, man.

Edit: Fuck yes I got a first.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CaLe

I dunno if this is a spoiler or not but I'll post my feeling of the ending with the tags.

When I felt it was ending I was saying to myself: 'please don't say in memory of ... please don't say in memory of ...' I dunno why but it felt to me like someone made this as a goodbye to a child they lost. That's what made it seem so powerful to me, even if it was just my own misinterpretation. I had a similar experience with To The Moon, where my misinterpretation of what was happening made the experience much more powerful than it would have been if I had interpreted it correctly.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dunno man, this seems like it's a $1.25 game at best. Will wait for sale.

nomtank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissefar: Congratulations on your award of nothing!

GameDesignDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got it for mac and it says that the file is damaged and can't be opened. :(

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

games are art you guys

seriously

GameDesignDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herk: Sorry 'bout that, we're in the process of fixing it. Here's a solution http://thetalltreesgames.co.uk/CastlesInTheSky/MacError/

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

These indie games have possibly some of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Avatar image for disembodiedpotato
    Disembodiedpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just purchased, but sadly not working on mac for me either. Game loads and I hear music, but dont see anything in the window at all. Just emailed them about it now, so hopefully we get a fix soon :|

walterbennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By walterbennet

Game did nothing for me. Loved the animation though.

Accolade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Accolade

This kinda reminds me of High Delivery on Orisinal, which I highly recommend giving a play.

Hostile_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked this up after reading Patrick's recommendation on twitter.

A neat little experience overall. The idea of telling a bedtime story/lullaby in this format was interesting and might be something we see more of in the future. I could easily see this as being one of the first games I'd give let my future kids play/experience.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I enjoyed that. Would be a good thing to play for a kid while you're trying to get them to fall asleep. I hadn't considered video games as a potential avenue for bed time stories!

KyleBsure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KyleBsure

Grabbing this based solely on your recommendation. Thanks scoops!

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bought it and played it. Thank Patrick. "A hug of a game" is accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The last GIF is beautiful.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

art games makin me feeeeeeel

stanleynipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

explosions in the castles in the sky?

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was weird. I played through the game before I even read anything about it and felt nothing, as I'm a little tired and wasn't sure I was in the 'mood' for a mood kind of game, but about 30 seconds after I finished I started fucking tearing up. I had this weird connect the dots moment of ziplining back to my childhood when everything felt so incredible and out of reach, and feeling that massive disconnect between where I am and where I was, and where things could have been. Just... weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Games are fart.

BigMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't wait to play this tonight with my daughter!

oogli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By oogli
    Mattyboysmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mattyboysmith

Man, those photos of that ladies battle with cancer were very sad. :-(

sildfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

I dunno if this is a spoiler or not but I'll post my feeling of the ending with the tags.

When I felt it was ending I was saying to myself: 'please don't say in memory of ... please don't say in memory of ...' I dunno why but it felt to me like someone made this as a goodbye to a child they lost. That's what made it seem so powerful to me, even if it was just my own misinterpretation.

I had the same experience as you, I was just thinking "Please don't be dead, please don't be dead, lease don't be dead" through the last part.

It reallly is a hug of a game though.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It promised castles in the sky, but I only saw one. >:|

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I played the last level in Super Mario Galaxy recently for the first time in like five years...that game holds a special place to me, and the music helped me through some serious rough times too. So when I was tearing up at the weird ending...I couldn't explain it, and it was weird. A freaking Mario game made me straight-up cry. It's been a strange, hard year.

I really enjoyed this article. Keep doing things like this, Patrick.

pocketroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pocketroid

This is definitely a piece of poetry, which you project your own memories and experiences into. I finished Castles in the Sky, and

@walterbennet said:

Game did nothing for me. Loved the animation though.

I took everything literally, imagining the images described, enjoying the poetry aspect, taking it all at surface value. The poetry portion was pleasing, but as I read, I didn't relate the words to my own memories, as you and other commenters seem to have done. In fact, I was thinking, "Wow this is so generic, like a piece of formulaic fiction, an idealised childhood." Also, calling Castles in the Sky a game is a bit misleading. It's more like a video or ebook of poetry, where you press A to turn the pages. Which is fine, there is an audience for that. I think games as a medium for aspiring writers is totally great, since it would be hard to advertise and sell your own self-published works by other means. "Hey, check out this poem I just read!" doesn't happen often enough, though I still try, and Patrick did so with this article. Why aren't books and poems community experiences anymore? Why don't people want to read Poe or Thoreau with me? They'd rather just beat me up in some game, or shoot me in some game, or win a race in some game. Prose and poetry just aren't as easily and readily shared in today's fast paced, bite-sized, internet world.

Still,

@mormonwarrior said:

I really enjoyed this article. Keep doing things like this, Patrick.

Avatar image for disembodiedpotato
    Disembodiedpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oogli: No, I emailed them directly and they said they're working on a Fix, its a Mavericks problem apparently.

They said they'd email me as soon as its ready.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.