Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

Character Abilities

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

Could someone who's played the game explain the powers of the different characters? I'm familiar with Soma and Alucard, but I don't know a lot about the others. I assume Soma's ability to steal monster powers is pretty much the same, what about Alucard? I read somewhere that he can change forms but from what I remember from SOTN (it's been a long time) that was only situationally useful. I remember turning into mist to pass through grates and turning into a wolf to make long jumps... but that's it.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By kevinski

There's a Quick Look of the game up now. Alucard's form changes appear to be pretty limited. Mist looks to be used exclusively for dodging. (I didn't even notice movement during the form change, so maybe you can't move around with it.) Wolf form looks like it'd be used for moving while staying low to the ground. Based on how it was used in the Quick Look, it doesn't even look like it has its own dedicated button. (Or it just automatically moves you forward, as a slide would in some games.) 

I've heard that Alucard, Jonathan and Soma are pretty faithful to their general play styles, with Charlotte and Shanoa playing drastically different. I haven't seen them in action, so I can't say for sure. I read about it in a review.

SavageHobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SavageHobbit

Yeah, Alucard's wolf form seems to be just his slide move. 

What could Jonathan's signature be?  I don't remember him having anything too stand out in PoR...

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kevinski
    @SavageHobbit said:
    " What could Jonathan's signature be?  I don't remember him having anything too stand out in PoR... "
    Well, Jonathan's using the Vampire Killer, so I assume that he can do whip-brandishing and the like. Furthermore, he uses the classic Castlevania sub-weapons. I wonder if he can get Nebula. I love that whip.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hunkulese

The wolf form isn't really a special move. It's just the animation for his slide. His signature move is the mist form but you can't move while in mist form. Alucard can do dark magic if you find the scrolls. 

As far as I can tell you can't equip other weapons with Johnathan Morris but why would you want to when you have a whip called The Vampire Killer. His signature move is a block. He can also use sub-weapons and the more you use them the more they level up. Using sub weapons will also level up the whip.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deusoma
    @kevinski: 
    Remember, the mist form only lasted for one second in the original game, you had to find a relic before you could sustain it. Maybe you have to upgrade mist form or something before you can do it here.
    dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By dvdhaus

Shanoa I found out has the ability to latch onto those "Magnetic" spheres that Jeff mentioned in the QL.  She then can launch herself in any direction like an arrow.  Not sure about the other characters yet, I only played for about an hour.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By FightMeNerd

Charlotte absorbs and learns spells from enemies with the right bumper. So far I think I have about 10 different spells from just the first 3 stages. Not to mention each one can be leveled up 9 times.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kevinski
    @Deusoma said:
    " @kevinski:  Remember, the mist form only lasted for one second in the original game, you had to find a relic before you could sustain it. Maybe you have to upgrade mist form or something before you can do it here. "
    I realize that, but you could still move during that one second. :P
    FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

I had the chance to play around with all the characters yesterday. Here's my summary of what they can do:
    Soma - Can absorb souls (abilities) from fallen enemies. He has slots for 4 active souls (B, B+Up, B+Forward, B+Down), one passive soul, and one soul mapped to RB. Soma doesn't need to be the character to have killed a monster in order to collect it's soul, I've even had them fly at me from offscreen from someone else's kill. He can also use a variety of weapons.
    Alucard - Uses magic spells learned from scrolls that presumably drop from chests or bosses (I haven't seen any yet). He has slots for 4 spells(B, B+Up, B+Forward, B+Down). Alucard can turn into mist for 1 second by pressing RB. I assume this is good for dodging hits if you have good timing. From what I can tell he is the only character able to equip a shield. 
    Jonathan - Jonathan uses the traditional Castlevania whip and subweapons. Holding RB makes him raise his arms in a guard position, which reduces incoming damage by about 50%. The in game help text mentions him learning martial arts, but I have no idea how that works. 
    Shanoa - Shanoa can absorb glyphs from enemies by pressing Up at the right time. I believe there's a visual indication above the enemy's head when that happens, but I haven't seen it yet. She can have 4 glyphs readied at a time. She can use her RB power to latch onto magic fixtures on the walls and use them to launch herself around the room. This lets her take shortcuts and move quickly through areas that require multiple timed jumps with other characters.
    Charlotte - Absorbs enemy projectiles and learns to use them herself. She can have 4 spells mapped to B and the directional buttons. The absorb power can also function as a shield against enemy projectiles, even if they're not absorbed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.