Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

How exactly do the drops work?

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MasterBrief

I'm not talking where or if Luck counts. What I mean is when you look at the wiki or with the Gambler's Glasses it will give you a percentage chance of it dropping but percentage of how much? I've searched a lot and I searched and discussed a lot more when I had this game on XBLA way back and never got a good answer. I mean say you have a 25% chance of the Yorick soul dropping right, what is that percentage out of? If it was 100 then that means if you did 100 runs you would get it at least 25 times right? There is no set number though. I know it's all random but I think there is a system it runs on and that Luck has at least a little to do with it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

@MasterBrief: Where are you getting percentages from? I'm pretty certain that any percentages are only rough guesses, as the most common way I've seen them rate drop rarity is by degree of rarity, not by direct percentage chance.

The reason you don't have a satisfying answer on drop percentages is because Konami has provided no satisfying answer on drop percentages. The best we can say is "This item is one of the rarer ones, and this item is more common." I'm not sure how you would get more specific than that with this game. The rule of thumb is "Higher Luck makes a rare item more likely to show up." By how much? Who knows? If you deck yourself out with Luck items, you're more likely to get rare items. That's all I know. I suppose some people may have dug into the code to figure something out, but I have heard nothing like that. Want rare items? Wear more Luck gear and you have a higher chance of getting rare items. There's really little else to it.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MasterBrief

@TruthTellah: Yeah this game has too much of a random factor to it's drops. If you look on the Castlevania wiki it will have percentages for drops. I haven't seen any weapons or gear like the Val with percentages but it's mostly the souls like Succubus has a .70% chance listed on the wiki or the monocle from the peeping eye. Also if you equip the gambler's glasses head gear in the game and then look at the monster compendium you will see percentages where the rarity once was but only if you've obtained that soul/item once before. The more I think about it the more it seems made up and it would surprise me if Konami did that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

@MasterBrief: Well, according to Konami, it isn't purely random. They have confirmed that increased Luck makes rare drops more likely. But that is about the most they've said.

The percentages may come from testing by players. .7% chance may just mean it takes an average of over 142 fights to get one. That's pretty rare. Less than 1%. Rough. But increased luck might double that chance to 1.4%, meaning it may only take 71 fights on average to get one. Though, that's just a guess on my part. Rare means rare. Ultra rare means ultra rare. It's all a game of chance.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasterBrief

@TruthTellah: Yeah I think the stuff on the wiki is from testing and feedback mostly but it may be from the in game ones. The ones that you can see using the glasses can't be from testing since it's in game unless it's Konami's testing but we have no value to put the percent too. I just thought by now maybe some one knew something more since it was a hot topic when it first released. I'll run with some Luck gear and see if it helps any.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.