Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 25, 2014

Play as the vampire lord Dracula and wreak vengeance against your enemies in this continuation to the Lords of Shadow reboot of the Castlevania franchise.

I'm curious how close I am to the end (spoilers).

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I just killed Zobek and am about to face off against Satan, which certainly feels like it's going to be the finale. What has me curious about how much is left is that I've heard people say the game is a good 15 to 20 hours long (How Long To Beat has the main story listed as 17 hours long, their "rushed" time is just under 14 hours) but I've just hit 11 hours.

If I am at the end then that means the first game was about 5-6 hours longer. Which is a hell of a considerable difference when you consider that this game is much more open. Bit of a shame really.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

@creepingdeath0: You should probably make that first thing a spoiler. You are right at the end of the game. One short section and a boss away.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So I just killed Zobek and am about to face off against Satan, which certainly feels like it's going to be the finale. What has me curious about how much is left is that I've heard people say the game is a good 15 to 20 hours long (How Long To Beat has the main story listed as 17 hours long, their "rushed" time is just under 14 hours) but I've just hit 11 hours.

If I am at the end then that means the first game was about 5-6 hours longer. Which is a hell of a considerable difference when you consider that this game is much more open. Bit of a shame really.

How much exploration have you done? How much lore have you collected? How many gems? Did you do any challenge rooms?

If you mainline the missions it's probably a 10-12 hour game, but all of the exploration and what not easily bumps it up to 15-20 hours.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: Would if I could but apparently I cant edit my post. It's a thread about the end of the game with the word spoilers in the title. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together that doesn't want to be spoiled should have enough common sense not to click it, right? Ah well, thanks for the heads up.

@oldirtybearon: 3 Life gems from having max health. Somewhere around the same, 2 - 4, for the void and chaos magic. Done the first 4 Kleidos challenges, that'll definitely be something I go back to finish. Mastery of the whip and void sword, majority of the relic upgrades. No idea about scrolls or artwork, I guess I've missed wherever that statistic is. I feel I've been pretty thorough in my playthrough, revisiting areas with new abilities etc. I'll probably do one last pass to get everything, but even then I can only imagine that padding my playtime out for another 2 hours or so.

It's been a great game. I've really enjoyed my time with it. Kinda why I'm bummed it's already ending.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

@creepingdeath0: I didn't see the spoiler warning in the title, nevermind i'm an idiot.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@creepingdeath0: Eh, I wouldn't be. All in all there was a ton of filler in the first Lords of Shadow, and while filler still exists in LoS2 it's been toned down considerably. I'd say my final playtime for LoS2 was around 16-18 hours, and I did everything. I was also playing on Lord of Shadow difficulty, so that may also have had something to do with it.

Of course you could just be really good at video games. Always a possibility.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lords of Shadow 2 is a 10-11hours long game, maybe 15 if you collect everything and to the challenge rooms. It's shorter than the first one.

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: Would if I could but apparently I cant edit my post. It's a thread about the end of the game with the word spoilers in the title. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together that doesn't want to be spoiled should have enough common sense not to click it, right? Ah well, thanks for the heads up.

@oldirtybearon: 3 Life gems from having max health. Somewhere around the same, 2 - 4, for the void and chaos magic. Done the first 4 Kleidos challenges, that'll definitely be something I go back to finish. Mastery of the whip and void sword, majority of the relic upgrades. No idea about scrolls or artwork, I guess I've missed wherever that statistic is. I feel I've been pretty thorough in my playthrough, revisiting areas with new abilities etc. I'll probably do one last pass to get everything, but even then I can only imagine that padding my playtime out for another 2 hours or so.

It's been a great game. I've really enjoyed my time with it. Kinda why I'm bummed it's already ending.

At 11 hours with the upgrades you have, you've steamrolled through the game quite hard so good job. But yeah, you're one disappointing boss battle away from the end.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

I had all my stuff upgraded just one notch below max and haven't done any of the challenge rooms really and it still took me about 15-17 hours to finish. I was kinda ready for it to end at that point though. I also enjoyed it purely as a game, although as a direct sequel to Lords of Shadow its a bit disappointing. They've expanded on a lot of game elements, reigned in others and sort of cut back on the scale overall. While the second definitely plays better, the first remains a much more memorable game.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's never a good sign when you start to count the hours and look up the length of a game. You do that when you want to get it over with, at least for me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer said:

It's never a good sign when you start to count the hours and look up the length of a game. You do that when you want to get it over with, at least for me.

Eh, not always. I know from my experience that it could be what you suggested, or I could be trying to savour every hour I have with a certain game. I remember being very disappointed when I was nearing the end of the first Mass Effect; not because it was bad, but because the adventure was almost over and I really didn't want to leave.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer said:

Eh, not always. I know from my experience that it could be what you suggested, or I could be trying to savour every hour I have with a certain game. I remember being very disappointed when I was nearing the end of the first Mass Effect; not because it was bad, but because the adventure was almost over and I really didn't want to leave.

Yeah, that's true. I'm never that calculating, though. If I'm deep into a game I chew it up till the credits roll, and then I'm sad.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrfluke

@humanity said:

I had all my stuff upgraded just one notch below max and haven't done any of the challenge rooms really and it still took me about 15-17 hours to finish. I was kinda ready for it to end at that point though. I also enjoyed it purely as a game, although as a direct sequel to Lords of Shadow its a bit disappointing. They've expanded on a lot of game elements, reigned in others and sort of cut back on the scale overall. While the second definitely plays better, the first remains a much more memorable game.

yea i think im with you, i mean its ok, but yea the 1st lords of shadow was more memorable,

and the ending to this one was kind of anticlimatic.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: man the way he just turns a around in a "that's that" nonchalant way, after destroying Satan, was just like "what..no really..this is it?"

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Feels

@humanity said:

@mrfluke: man the way he just turns a around in a "that's that" nonchalant way, after destroying Satan, was just like "what..no really..this is it?"

Not to mention Alucard just standing there all "what the fuck..."

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrfluke

@feels said:

@humanity said:

yea someone here i believe on the forums said it, but like there was a good build up to a grandiose ending in the 1st game that made the game sort of resonate despite the flaws,

and then this game ends with a kind of " eh, whatever" vibe to it.i mean, ur fighting satan, the supposed biggest bad ever, that should have been a crazy spectacle of a fight especially with the talk that dracula can go head on against him, but instead the last boss was basically alucard.

i dunno, the way this game ends, i sort of believe that the talk thats going around that development was troubled to be sort of true now, didnt leave me as disappointed as Mass effect 3, but i expected a bit more punch in this games ending.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/01/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-dev-steps-forward-to-confirm-troubled-development-reports/

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@feels said:

@humanity said:

yea someone here i believe on the forums said it, but like there was a good build up to a grandiose ending in the 1st game that made the game sort of resonate despite the flaws,

and then this game ends with a kind of " eh, whatever" vibe to it.i mean, ur fighting satan, the supposed biggest bad ever, that should have been a crazy spectacle of a fight especially with the talk that dracula can go head on against him, but instead the last boss was basically alucard.

i dunno, the way this game ends, i sort of believe that the talk thats going around that development was troubled to be sort of true now, didnt leave me as disappointed as Mass effect 3, but i expected a bit more punch in this games ending.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/01/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-dev-steps-forward-to-confirm-troubled-development-reports/

Not to mention they just leave Satans body there on the street. They make killing Satan the biggest non-thing they could. A good ending, or a powerful one doesn't make you ask questions - but here.. where is he going? Back to the old church? For what? Doesn't he still want to die? What about the city? It was built around the idea of hating Dracula, the ultimate evil. So on and so forth.

I gave it a 4/5 because I had genuine fun playing it. The combat is very tight, the exploration is fun and the powers are neat. The story is still really campy like the first one, but it has no payoff. One could almost say the ending actually hurts the game more than anything else because it either leaves you completely bewildered or with a sour taste in your mouth, and thats never a good feeling to end a game on.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@mrfluke said:

@feels said:

@humanity said:

Not to mention they just leave Satans body there on the street. They make killing Satan the biggest non-thing they could. A good ending, or a powerful one doesn't make you ask questions - but here.. where is he going? Back to the old church? For what? Doesn't he still want to die? What about the city? It was built around the idea of hating Dracula, the ultimate evil. So on and so forth.

I gave it a 4/5 because I had genuine fun playing it. The combat is very tight, the exploration is fun and the powers are neat. The story is still really campy like the first one, but it has no payoff. One could almost say the ending actually hurts the game more than anything else because it either leaves you completely bewildered or with a sour taste in your mouth, and thats never a good feeling to end a game on.

heh, so id actually go a notch lower and personally give it a 3/5, im with you though on that it was very fun fighting dudes and the mixing the weapons was neat, combat felt a lot snappier than the 1st game, and i enjoyed the boss battles, and the good art really shows at points in the game, and the story had decent moments,

but i just didnt care for those stealth sections where your the pile of rats (didnt really have tooo much trouble with the forest section that the internet seems to have had issues with, had more trouble in the 2nd acolytes area where you have to do stealth around the 3 guards ) and then yea that ending kinda soured me, i expected better.

and you know maybe im just a dumbass, but that waypoint system for their maps, sucked, that was poorly implemented.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Humanity

@mrfluke: Well the way I judged was "did I have fun throughout my time playing this game?" The answer is yah, for like 90% of the game I had a lot of fun. The stealth was dumb but it was so easy, and so short that while I would have preferred it were not there at all, I didn't have too many issues with it. I had the exact same experience as you for the "crunch leafs boss" and the subsequent 2nd acolyte stealth section where you have to miss through the guy. The boss I beat on my second try, those three guards had me stumped for a good 10 minutes. The ending was "ehh" more like "well that was kinda weak" than really offensive for me personally. So despite a crappy ending and some lame sections once in a while, for a solid majority of the game (like I said probably 90% of it) I had a big grin on my face and had a blast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.