Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fates of the descendents of Gabriel Belmont are revealed in this 2D platforming follow-up to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Metroidvania?

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By liako21

It seemed like the game was basically a side scrolling platformer, and most importantly there seemed to be a map on the bottom screen. Is that pretty much correct? If so, I'm psyched!

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cannonballbam

It looks like it will retain elements as it is a predecessor but I think it has the right idea of becoming something of their own. So far, MercurySteam has steered us wrong.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Vextroid

If its like the old NES Castlevania games, count me in.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TentPole

It has the exploration of a metroidvania which by definition kinda makes it a metroidvania game regardless of what that article says.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Elazul

@Vextroid said:

They've already said that the combat is straight out of Lords of Shadow, so that's pretty much ruled out. It seems like they're trying to make a weird amalgamation of all three kinds of Castlevania game that won't fully satisfy fans of any of them.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Harpell
    @Elazul I dunno, I like all three, so a combo of the three sounds like it could be pretty stellar.

As long as "Vampire Killer" is in the soundtrack. That's a deal breaker.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

@Elazul said:

@Vextroid said:

They've already said that the combat is straight out of Lords of Shadow, so that's pretty much ruled out. It seems like they're trying to make a weird amalgamation of all three kinds of Castlevania game that won't fully satisfy fans of any of them.

It seems like it is just Metroidvania with a 2d version of Lords' combat system. Not nearly as homogenized as what you are describing.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Elazul

@Harpell said:

@Elazul I dunno, I like all three, so a combo of the three sounds like it could be pretty stellar. As long as "Vampire Killer" is in the soundtrack. That's a deal breaker.

Fair point. I really only like the SotN-style ones so that's mostly where the my disappointment stems from. Honestly it'd be a lot easier to accept if Nintendo was still making 2d Metroid games.

@TentPole said:

It seems like it is just Metroidvania with a 2d version of Lords' combat system. Not nearly as homogenized as what you are describing.

I don't know, from what I've seen and heard it's quite a bit more linear making it somewhat more in line with the older Castlevania games, and it occasionally switches out to LoS-style full-3D for bosses and larger encouters, so It seems like a pretty even split to me.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TentPole

@Elazul: I don't know about the bosses but it is definitely not linear. It has the same map on the bottom screen and everything.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Elazul

@TentPole said:

@Elazul: I don't know about the bosses but it is definitely not linear. It has the same map on the bottom screen and everything.

I didn't say it was completely linear, just more linear than a typical Metroidvania. In that interview, Dave Cox specifically mentions that the game features Castlevania III-style "multi-branching pathways" as opposed to a full on Metroid-style open map.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TentPole

@Elazul said:

@TentPole said:

I didn't say it was completely linear, just more linear than a typical Metroidvania. In that interview, Dave Cox specifically mentions that the game features Castlevania III-style "multi-branching pathways" as opposed to a full on Metroid-style open map.

But it does have a full on Metroid-style open map.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By DeF

@liako21: it's kinda both. back-track heavy and action combat heavy. it combines the classic Castlevania (influences cited as being Castlevania III) with the lords of shadow DNA

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Elazul

@TentPole said:

@Elazul said:

@TentPole said:

But it does have a full on Metroid-style open map.

Well, Konami's own Head of Product development seems to be making some pretty contradictory statements to that fact. Clearly there's some misinformation going around, so I guess we'll just have to wait until they actually show a bit more of the game.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nottle

Is there anyone that thinks that the metroidvania style isn't the best fit for this series? People like the linearity or the God of war stuff more?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TentPole

@Nottle said:

Is there anyone that thinks that the metroidvania style isn't the best fit for this series? People like the linearity or the God of war stuff more?

I think Lords of Shadow was the best since Symphony, but though linear the levels had plenty of exploration.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.