Am I doing something wrong here?

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -

I keep getting my arse kicked. I'm only in the second chapter but I die so quickly. My health is in the red after a couple of hits and there seems to be hardly any health fountain things so I fight, almost die then go right into another full fight where 1 or 2 hits kills me. How the hell do I stop this? The light magic gives some health back but I have 3 seconds worth each fight. I'm dying nearly every fight now.

#2 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

Learn to dodge and block also counters can be really handy too, it becomes key later on in the game. It just takes a little while to get use to, just keep on the move .

#3 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -
@Legxend said:
" Learn to dodge and block also counters can be really handy too, it becomes key later on in the game. It just takes a little while to get use to, just keep on the move . "
That's the problem. I can't. If I attack, I get hit heaps. If I dodge the big monsters will eventually hit me and I do nothing to them because I keep dodging. I try and go for the big monster, if I can manage to avoid his attacks the 4 or 5 little ones get it. I just have fuck all health and even when I restart I only get half health too.
#4 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

Yeah I found this game pretty frustrating at times, might wanna turn down the difficulty.

#5 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Dodge, dodge, dodge. You have to dodge every couple attacks or you'll get hit. Don't worry about blocking, I'm on Chapter 8 right now and I've never blocked more than once or twice by accident. Other than that, not much else you can do. Your health and magic bars are extremely low at that point in the game and you probably don't have too many skills unlocked yet. Just dodge whenever you see an enemy about to attack, or every few hits if you want to play it safe. It gets easier later on.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -

Dodge, block and counter. 
Dodge is the easiest to use but also takes the longest to kill monsters, take a couple hard swing, dodge, a few swings, dodge, etc. Countering is very very effective and allows you to deal tons of dammage, but you need to learn the timing. To be fair timing on countering is way more generous in this game they say in Bayoneta. If you are surrounded by small monsters learn the hard-light-light-light combo, the first hit is for the bigger guy, the later hits keep the riff raff away. A lot of weak monsters can be killed in one move, just by grabbing them. Most monsters will not allow you to complete a full combo on them, they will block and bitch-slap you. Daggers simply pwn werewolves. Also if you need breather time, learn the air grab, jump up, grab a a dude and wail on him in the air, rinse repeat. Go back to previous levels and practice on easier enemies as well as find as many hidden items as you can.
There are quite a few strategies.

#7 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (438 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: What difficulty are you playing on?
#8 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Learn enemy attacks to counter them, which in turn will give you orbs to use as either light or shadow magic.  Use light magic if your health is low, shadow to defeat enemies quicker.

Dodging a lot might not always help since you cannot cancel out of a dodge.  It may leave you open to an attack(s).

#9 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Patches O'Houlihan has some advice for you!

Remember the 5 D's: 

In all seriousness though, well timed dodges and blocks are the key. You have to be patient and not go into every single encounter expecting to button mash your way through.
#10 Posted by super_machine (1930 posts) -

Use the grab move on the little guys. Its a one hit kill and other enemies wont attack when you are in the motion. Also, don't play your first time on hard, I made that mistake and almost gave up by chapter 3.

#11 Posted by sukru (25 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

"Dodge, block and counter.  Dodge is the easiest to use but also takes the longest to kill monsters, take a couple hard swing, dodge, a few swings, dodge, etc. Countering is very very effective and allows you to deal tons of dammage, but you need to learn the timing. To be fair timing on countering is way more generous in this game they say in Bayoneta. If you are surrounded by small monsters learn the hard-light-light-light combo, the first hit is for the bigger guy, the later hits keep the riff raff away. A lot of weak monsters can be killed in one move, just by grabbing them. Most monsters will not allow you to complete a full combo on them, they will block and bitch-slap you. Daggers simply pwn werewolves. Also if you need breather time, learn the air grab, jump up, grab a a dude and wail on him in the air, rinse repeat. Go back to previous levels and practice on easier enemies as well as find as many hidden items as you can.There are quite a few strategies.

"

I had the same problem, and the same solution worked for me.  Counter gives you an attack bonus and a few free hits on many enemies, and thusis my first choice. It does not work for everyone though, some smaller ones are better dealt with single hit grabs, and some bosses have so many non-counterable moves, it's better to evade. However once you get the hang of it, it becomes very entertaining.
#12 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

If you get into a fight with one big enemy and a bunch of little ones and keep getting your ass kicked, i always try to get rid of the little guys first. An easy way is to use the grapple move with the right trigger. Just grapple a little guy time the button press = one less to worry about. While you're killing of the little guys one by one you can't get hit (only in between grappling), doing it this way isn't that helpfull for your combo meter, but it does work. After that you can focus on the big guy and block / dodge his attacks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.