Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Anyone else getting really bad screen glitches?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

I'm really enjoying Castlevania so far however by the end of where the demo had left off i couldn't stop shaking the feeling that every minute or so there was really really bad glitching in some of the textures and lighting - it would only be momentary but it would be enough to prove a distraction. 

I put it down to me being OCD about this kind of thing and pushed on, however my fiancee came in and pointed out straight away during one of the loading screen that there were full screen flickering type glitches happening - again at first i put it down to the fact that maybe its an intentional effect (kind of like how it looks like a book is being read by candle or fire light and maybe the screen flicker is that?) however when the screen flicker was so intense that it was bright green for a second or so, or would out right black out the screen for a split second, I'm honestly beginning to question one or two things. 
     I've changed my hdmi leads, tried different ports on my tv and have tested other consoles on the tv as well as other games on my ps3 and nothing reproduces this result. 

As such i've narrowed it down to one of a few options :- 

1. My ps3 (an ageing first wave 60gb) is on its way out , thought he fact this is the only game to suffer kind of rules that out 
    2. Maybe the ps3 is fine but this particular game is giving it trouble? 
    3. The disc is buggered in some way? (looks pristine though) 
    4. My Tv is fucked (better damn well not be) 
    5. This is just the nature of the game? and kind of like unreal engine pop in - its just something to try to ignore? 

I've tried forcing the game into every resolution, tried every video output setting changed cables, channels, consoles and everything and can not seem to get this issue to go away. 

Contemplating trying to capture footage of it to try and better show the issues as its kind of hard to explain, but it seems to majorly happen during any time the 'book' is on screen, then seems to linger and reoccur frequently (though seems to stop after a while) afterwards. 

Playing on a 60gb ps3 system 

Anyone else out there finding this?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Have you tried the same game on another PS3?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Have you tried the same game on another PS3? "
    Hmm, i actually haven't, but that's a good idea, I'll take it round one of my mates when i get a chance and give it a whirl in there - silly how obvious some of the things i overlook are xD
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    Hmm, i actually haven't, but that's a good idea, I'll take it round one of my mates when i get a chance and give it a whirl in there - silly how obvious some of the things i overlook are xD "
    To kill all the birds with one stone, try your friends PS3 on YOUR TV with YOUR copy of Castlevania.

That should narrow it down.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    Hmm, i actually haven't, but that's a good idea, I'll take it round one of my mates when i get a chance and give it a whirl in there - silly how obvious some of the things i overlook are xD "
    To kill all the birds with one stone, try your friends PS3 on YOUR TV with YOUR copy of Castlevania.

That should narrow it down.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Bouke

I'm also playing the game on PS3 (slightly newer one; i own a 160 Gb "fat") but i have to say; i haven't noticed anything. Actually there are some levels (i'm still pretty early on) that look soo sharp and great, it amazed me! I haven't noticed anything weird while the book is on screen... is it during the Patrick Stewart  narated scenes where the text appears? Or when you go into the book while in the game to access the skills and stuff? I'll check again tonight; but if its in the game its nothing too obvious...
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Bouke said:
    " I'm also playing the game on PS3 (slightly newer one; i own a 160 Gb "fat") but i have to say; i haven't noticed anything. Actually there are some levels (i'm still pretty early on) that look soo sharp and great, it amazed me! I haven't noticed anything weird while the book is on screen... is it during the Patrick Stewart  narated scenes where the text appears? Or when you go into the book while in the game to access the skills and stuff? I'll check again tonight; but if its in the game its nothing too obvious... "
    Oh believe me mate i agree with you on the visuals, while it still lacks a little layer of polish found in something like uncharted 2 as far as characters go - the environments are actually phenomenal - I'm not sure how far in the game you are, but the 2 or 3 scenes in which you are searching for the Old god in the forest are literally hard to believe are being rendered! At times it looks almost photorealistic as far as foliage and water goes! 

But thats the reason why this issue is breaking my heart, the camera will be panning across a stunning vista of waterfalls cascading and the rainbow light pouring through it and everything looks beautiful, then all of a sudden everything flickers bright yellow, or blacks out for a second and light begins flickering like crazy, it's such a pity because it detracts form an otherwise visually astounding game! 

And its any form of the book that seems to kick it off! It does happen in fmv's and during game-play, however if it hasn't happened for a while i can usually guarantee if a loading screen appears and ol' patrick begins talking, or if i pause the game go to purchase a new skill. the screen will definitely begin an occasional flicker and blacking (racist?) followed by a few minuted of that happening during gameplay. 

As i said theres a good chance that maybe its the ps3 gpu struggling - im on a launch day 60gb that has so far had no problems and several hours every day service! I had the very same day placed my ps3 on a carpeted floor instead of stood up on its side in order to make sure it didn't fall over - maybe it was overheating or something? I guess a big furry carpet isnt really the best thing for heat ventilation. 

I've got a mate bringing a ps3 over later today to give the disc a run on my tv and see if its the same on there, until then im going to run uncharted 2 and god of war 3 (most intensive visually) in order to check if it is the gpu just giving up the ghost. 

After posting this last night i played a few hours of mw2 and fifa 11 with no issues or glitching so it seems the catalyst is definitely this game, whether its the game - the ps3 or the disc is to be seen! 

Cheers for the replies though, and it would be interesting to hear your findings! 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bouke
    @OmegaPirate:
    So i played a couple of hours last night, now nearing the end of the second chapter, but i also jumped back into the first the get some of the challenges. I was a little stuck on the part in the second chapter (waterfall something) where you use the chain to get up a platform and a cutscene starts with a little troll and then you are grabbed by a big Cave Troll. I had almost no life at that point so i kept dying each time i did that part. Finally got through it after restarting the level and not losing any health at the beginning. 

But i payed close attention to the book parts and didn't see anything you're describing. No flickering or flashing it looks normal for me. Did you try the game on your friends PS3?  

It might have to do with the resolution you're running the game in; did you force your PS3 to run it in 1080P? I pretty sure i'm running the game in 720P (although my tv could handle 1080P) i didn't bother changing it because it runs and looks just fine.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Bouke: The second chapter is kicking my ass right now - i've just taken over my first spider and used it to pull down a tree - do about 20 seconds of platformign then end up on the smallest platform in the world with a big lycan  - ive got about 1 hit worth of health and i keep on dying xD 

I've tried messing with the resolutions for a while and even forcing SD resulted with it after a while!  
    I went round my friends and tried it in his ps3 and the result was the same (although he does have a launch 60gb as well)  
    I've even plugged a damn ethernet cable into my TV and updated all its firmware and all that jazz - just in desperation really, no joy! 

At this rate its pretty clear that it can be one of two things :- 

1) bad disc 
    2) 60gb ps3's getting their ass kicked by the game and not really picked up in any reviews? 

Luckily im one of those idiots that keeps the receipt for everything i buy so i shall ring the store i bought it form and explain my predicament - hopefully get the go ahead to go swap straight out for another copy of the game!  
    If that one performs in the same mischievous manner then ill just suck it in and blast through it best i can and put it down to the ps3 being sad with it. 
    I'm just enjoying the game too much to not finish it - glitches or nay!  

Cheers for looking into it tho!
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bouke
    @OmegaPirate:
    I was stuck in the same level; only a little futher... what i end up doing was restart level; the spider is prety easy to defeat by hitting 2 / 3 times and then rolling out of the way (L2 <- or ->), try not to get hit and built up the meter in the bottom of the screen that gives you neutral energy orbs when you hit an enemy. Once you get to the little platform with the Lycan he tries to hit you right away; just time your block (L2) to the hit and you get a counter. Hit L1 before you enter the counter to activate Light Magic and start hitting the Lycan with heavy atacks (square). You can get 3 /  4 hits in before the counter works off and the Lycan attacks again either repeat or roll out of the way. Just stand still and wait for him to attack then time your block again, but watch out for the Lycan punch the ground making a shockwave. You should also turn off Light Magic (L1) so you don't deplete your meter, but a couple of hits should give you some needed health back! 

You're right, it sounds like there is something wrong with the disk. I hope the store is willing to trade it in for another copy! Also a friend of mine has a launch 60 Gb PS3, i could take my game over to him and see how it runs there... won't be until this weekend though. Would suck if its your system crapping out! But i would think you would read more on this if it has to do with certain PS3 model.
    MrBones22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MrBones22

It's NOT your ps3 / TV / Game Disc, it's a problem with the game.  The flickering is in both versions (PS3 / 360). I picked up the PS3 version bc I read the 360 version had some framerate issues, and was thinking I made a mistake. So I downloaded the demo on the 360 and sure enough both had the same problem.

It has to do with the type of antialiasing the game uses from what I’ve seen. Which leads to the fact of: the larger your tv, the more aliasing you see, the more obvious the flickering becomes. I played the game on my 25″ 1080p PC monitor when I first bought it (recently moved and my tv wasn’t set up yet!) and didn’t notice the flickering, but as soon as I hooked up my 50″ 1080p set I immediately noticed the flickering. I tried the game at a friends on his 42″ 1080p set and it was not quite as noticeable, so unfortunately the bigger your tv the worse you it appears. It gets even worse if you have the “sharpness” on your set turned up….I found that by turning it way down it was less noticeable.

When you stand still there’s some very fine “highlights” shown in the environment and on the edges of foliage, but when you move the highlights go away, but when the camera pans slowly its alternates from displaying the highlights and not displaying them. I recently was in a room in the castle that had icicles that were whiteish on a dark background and nearly got a headache…the worst I’d seen. It's a bummer because I love the game, but you gotta live with it unless they put out a patch. If you do a google search for Lords of Shadow Flickering you'll see there's a ton of discussion of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.